2023-2024 Brown (Alpert)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chilly_md

Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
2023-2024 Brown (Alpert) Secondary Essay Prompts (question #3 is changed from last year)

1. Summarize your activities during the 2023-2024 academic year. Describe how your activities are preparing you for a medical career. (2000 characters)

2. How will your unique attributes, life experiences, and interests add to the Alpert Medical School community? (2000 characters)

3. Reflect on a situation when you had to change course, and how you did so. (3000 characters)

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview feedback:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Any movement?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Does this school send secondaries in August?

Does this school send secondaries in August?
based on last year’s thread it seemed like secondaries started going out july 7, which was about 2 weeks after primaries were submitted on june 24. primaries this year went out right before the 4th of july holiday, so i imagine that creates additional delays. if i had to make a guess, i would say they should start sending secondaries in the next 2 weeks

OOS secondary received 7/17 but google chrome says link is invalid. Went through the account set-up process. Anyone else?

based on last year’s thread it seemed like secondaries started going out july 7, which was about 2 weeks after primaries were submitted on june 24. primaries this year went out right before the 4th of july holiday, so i imagine that creates additional delays. if i had to make a guess, i would say they should start sending secondaries in the next 2 weeks
Primaries went out 5/30 this year

OOS secondary received 7/17 but google chrome says link is invalid. Went through the account set-up process. Anyone else?
No secondary here, but if you get it working would you be able to post the prompts?

they weren’t transmitted to schools until june 30, which is what i was referring to when i said they went out (to schools) right before 4th of july
My bad I meant 6/30. I got a secondary on 6/30, but yea most schools haven't sent by then.

1. Summarize your activities during the 2023-2024 academic year. Describe how your activities are preparing you for a medical career. (2000 characters)
  2. How will your unique attributes, life experiences, and interests add to the Alpert Medical School community? (2000 characters)
  3. Reflect on a situation when you had to change course, and how you did so. (3000 characters)

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
@chilly_md

damn they changed one of the prompts :/ i really liked my prewritten response to the one they changed too

Reactions: 1 user
OOS Secondary received 7/18/23.

My biochemistry class was only 3 credits and I didn’t take a lab. I was under the impression they didn’t require a lab?? What should I fill in? Should I email them?

My biochemistry class was only 3 credits and I didn’t take a lab. I was under the impression they didn’t require a lab?? What should I fill in? Should I email them?
They require lab?

They require lab?
i haven't received a secondary invite, so i'm not sure if the portal says something different. however, the website for course requirements only states one course in biochemistry. it doesn't mention anything about lab in the entire chemistry section actually. the only mention of lab is in biology, where they say lab experience is highly recommended.

Yeah I just logged in and saw that the minimum credits for biochemistry is 4 and my biochem course was only 3 credits

Yeah I just logged in and saw that the minimum credits for biochemistry is 4 and my biochem course was only 3 credits
i guess it can't hurt to email them and ask? nothing to lose here in this scenario. i think it's odd they said 4 credits instead of specifying whether they want lab because not every institution awards credits the same way

i guess it can't hurt to email them and ask? nothing to lose here in this scenario. i think it's odd they said 4 credits instead of specifying whether they want lab because not every institution awards credits the same way
agreed. just sent an email, let's see what happens

Hmm, both the Brown website and the MSAR say "one Course" in biochemistry.
Chemistry
Two courses in general (inorganic) chemistry, one course in organic chemistry, and one course in biochemistry

** It also lists 2 courses in Biology with a grade of B or higher**

It's the same issue for statistics - it says minimum one course but also minimum four credits. And you can only put one course under that section so it's impossible to fill with more than 3 credits if you're only taking 3 hour courses. Also the chem/physics courses that I received AP credit for aren't showing up in that section so I can't fill that requirement. I know they have another place to describe that but will it prevent the prerequisite section from being complete?

OOS secondary just received

You can't complete their prereq page if the hours don't match. I just tried. It asks for 4 hours of orgo and I've taken two orgo classes and then a lab but it only lets you put in 1 class, which is 3 hours for me.

You can't complete their prereq page if the hours don't match. I just tried. It asks for 4 hours of orgo and I've taken two orgo classes and then a lab but it only lets you put in 1 class, which is 3 hours for me.
When I logged in I was able to add extra classes to get to the credit recs

Would someone mind sending me the link to the secondary? I activated my account but the link I was sent is an invalid URL

Would someone mind sending me the link to the secondary? I activated my account but the link I was sent is an invalid URL
PS: If you have a problem logging into the online secondary application, try typing the url into your browser directly, https://admissions.med.brown.edu, then hit the enter key. Do not bookmark the login screen, wait until you see the first page of the application to create a bookmark.

my p/f courses (that were automatically made p/f due to the pandemic) aren't auto-populating, and some of them are needed for prereqs. i just emailed them about it, but it seems like lots of us are having issues with this

Any point in applying to this school if we didn't go to Brown or an ivy for undergrad? (Idk if this school likes high stats, but 81 LizzyM score)

The instructions say to list your school but I don't see school listed anywhere when you drag courses over. Should we put all of this in the box at the bottom?

people having trouble with the courses- just press the "add" button on the right side. it will let you add more slots to drag courses into! :) for example, for inorganic chem, my labs and lectures were separate (so I have 4 courses for gen chem I and II combined). I added more slots so I could drag more than 2 courses over

for the biology pre reqs, I'm a bio major that got much better grades in my advanced bio classes than my intro bio classes. Can I use them to fufill bio pre reqs or does it have to be the intro series?

Anyone have any ideas on how to approach the third prompt? "Change course" is so vague. Not sure if a failure style essay would work or maybe a feedback style essay like Sinai has?

Any point in applying to this school if we didn't go to Brown or an ivy for undergrad? (Idk if this school likes high stats, but 81 LizzyM score)
FWIW, I interviewed with Brown last year coming from a state school with lower stats than yours

my p/f courses (that were automatically made p/f due to the pandemic) aren't auto-populating, and some of them are needed for prereqs. i just emailed them about it, but it seems like lots of us are having issues with this
yeah having the same prob!

Email from admissions

Hello,

We have recently updated our secondary application system and are aware of the glitch in the coursework section. Please enter your completed premedical coursework to meet course requirements as listed for now. Please disregard the credits at this time. We are working on getting that fixed.

You should be able to move on and complete all the other sections of your secondary application. However, you may not be able to submit your secondary until we fix the glitch in the coursework section. We will notify you as soon as it has been resolved so that you can go ahead and submit your secondary. We apologize for the inconvenience.

We appreciate your interest in Alpert Medical School!

Reactions: 3 users
yeah having the same prob!
i just got a response saying to list the courses in the alternate coursework section, but im not sure if that’s actually going to solve the issue because the page won’t be complete without some course in each section? so it seems i should put a dummy course in the sections and clarify in the alternate coursework part, but that just doesn’t seem right

i just got a response saying to list the courses in the alternate coursework section, but im not sure if that’s actually going to solve the issue because the page won’t be complete without some course in each section? so it seems i should put a dummy course in the sections and clarify in the alternate coursework part, but that just doesn’t seem right
hmm yeah that would probably work to submit but might cause confusion

Hey everyone! I think the glitch with the course credits got fixed. I'm seeing "Quantitative Reasoning" as 3 credits and "Biochemistry" as 3 credits.

Hey, how are y'all targeting the second prompt? Does my diversity prompt just work here? The ‘interests’ part is tripping me up. Is this also a pseudo why us essay?

Hey, how are y'all targeting the second prompt? Does my diversity prompt just work here? The ‘interests’ part is tripping me up. Is this also a pseudo why us essay?
I'm interpreting this as a standard diversity essay, partly out of laziness lol so I can just copy and paste another school's essay. There's a chance the interests part might be looking for how you hope to impact medicine in the future (they did get rid of that prompt this year so maybe it's smushed together into one this year), but I think interests more likely refers to hobbies or other stuff like that, since that's the angle a lot of people take with their diversity essay

I'm interpreting this as a standard diversity essay, partly out of laziness lol so I can just copy and paste another school's essay. There's a chance the interests part might be looking for how you hope to impact medicine in the future (they did get rid of that prompt this year so maybe it's smushed together into one this year), but I think interests more likely refers to hobbies or other stuff like that, since that's the angle a lot of people take with their diversity essay
Agree with Labe. Will probably just use a canned diversity essay with a paragraph from future goals in medicine tbh. Also thanks for emailing admissions for me 🙌

Alright y'all, sounds good! And yeah absolutely, in this mess together.

Anyone have any ideas on how to approach the third prompt? "Change course" is so vague. Not sure if a failure style essay would work or maybe a feedback style essay like Sinai has?
I'm using my challenge essay because in it I already talked about how I had to modify what I did in that situation to suit the challenge I was facing. I think if you can do something like that even loosely to show how you changed your approach / worked towards a slightly different outcome it counts!