2023-2024 Belmont (Frist)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
whats the interview like? For the structured is it mmi? And was it chill?
on their website it says traditional interview style so my guess is its one on one

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Even the medical school? Thought they would have their own calendar ?
They may be on a different schedule, but typically it aligns with the school schedule overall. Belmont is on break this week

Reactions: 1 users
They may be on a different schedule, but typically it aligns with the school schedule overall. Belmont is on break this week
Alright then we will have to wait until next week hopefully we will get some II !!!!!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

Attachments

• let-me-in-eric-andre.gif
    let-me-in-eric-andre.gif
    2.8 MB · Views: 43
  • Care
Reactions: 5 users
I've updated the Waitlist GroupMe. You don't have to be waitlisted to join. We're just premeds vibing. Most of us are waitlisted though.

Reactions: 5 users
Letter graded for M1 and M2, Pass/Fail during M3 and M4 years
Anyone know the logic behind this? You'd think it'd be the opposite. I only see T10 schools even DARING to do P/F for clerkships

How closely are students going to be working with the HCA's? There have been comments about HCA hospitals mistreating health care workers.
HEAVY bump on this, spill the beans if you know

Letter grades in preclinical is all I know for sure. I don't remember clinical grading. The rationale is that a graded system will allow students to demonstrate proficiency in the material while they solidify their curriculum. Schools that are pass/fail in preclinical already have reputable academics: if a student passes, you know they have understood the materials in the preclinical phase. Perhaps when FCOM has solidified their education and has obtained full accreditation, they will consider P/F for preclinical.

I know there are stories about the HCA hospitals having poor management and mistreatment of healthcare workers...but there also seems to be a lot of the same stories at non-HCA hospitals. I think it will be variable depending on the hopsital/staff that you work with, which is the same for all hospitals. However, FCOM will want their classes to succeed and will be highly involved and make sure that students are obtaining the best education possible.

Reactions: 3 users
WL, interviewed 2/23. I'm literally losing hair and developing a permanent stomachache over the stress of this application cycle--it really is gonna be down to the wire isn't it 😭

• Care
  • Love
Reactions: 6 users
Has anyone reached out and asked if letters of intent are accepted or has anyone sent one and gotten a response?

I sent one (intent) to the admissions email and they told me it was added to my file!

This is definitely wrong
I attended 2 info sessions, definitely Pass/Fail during clerkship! They’re expecting to have traditional grading only during preclinical years. I do want to understand the logic behind this, so I may attend another session and ask

I think the idea is to get us through Step 1/2 and they would need grading during those years to keep track of students’ performance for likelihood to succeed. With clerkship being equally important for match I don’t really know how or why the grading system will change, but this is also a brand new school so I wouldn’t be surprised if the curriculum changes multiple times. I’m actually expecting it. Preparing to roll with the punches!

I think the idea is to get us through Step 1/2 and they would need grading during those years to keep track of students’ performance for likelihood to succeed. With clerkship being equally important for match I don’t really know how or why the grading system will change, but this is also a brand new school so I wouldn’t be surprised if the curriculum changes multiple times. I’m actually expecting it. Preparing to roll with the punches!
The curriculum changing isn't even a doubt in my mind. It will. In fact, ima call it rn, Frist is gonna change clerkships to H/HP/P/F for the first class so it'll basically all be graded

Now let me sit back & watch that prediction mature....someone hand me my grapes. I've worked hard today

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
WL, interviewed 2/23. I'm literally losing hair and developing a permanent stomachache over the stress of this application cycle--it really is gonna be down to the wire isn't it 😭
I am anxiously waiting for an II . At least you got an II. You'll be take off the waitlist and accepted!

Most people here got an II after a week of being under review.

You’ll get an A on July 28th, the day before classes start.

Hey guys! Just finished up my interview here and they said that there was 4ish more interview days to go so def seems like there will be more invites coming down the pipeline :) interview day is also pretty chill and faculty is great!

Reactions: 4 users
Hey guys! Just finished up my interview here and they said that there was 4ish more interview days to go so def seems like there will be more invites coming down the pipeline :) interview day is also pretty chill and faculty is great!
Thank you so much!!!! You're giving me hope!

Thank you so much!!!! You're giving me hope!
Proverbs 3:5-6 NKJV "Trust in the LORD with all your heart, And lean not on your own understanding; In all your ways acknowledge Him, And He shall direct your paths."

If there's one thing this app cycle has taught me, this is it! This app cycle has been a movie. I'm praying for you & ClashRoyaleKing

Reactions: 7 users
Please Belmont once again I’m manifesting or hoping for an II next week!!

HEAVY bump on this, spill the beans if you know
Asked this exact question to each person I interacted with: Dean Shelton at the info session, and both my interviewers. Best I can tell is that core clerkship will be exclusively done in HCA hospitals, but preceptorships in years 1/2 are actually rarely HCA and rotations in year 4 would depend heavily on what you are pursuing.

As for the behavior of HCA, I got answers (from Belmont faculty of course, so take it with a grain of salt) that I should think of HCA as more of a franchise situation... Some are well managed and good places to work, some are not. I've seen this view echoed on r/residency as well in my limited research.

2 things to keep in mind about HCA: 1. it's a very large for profit company (#65ish on fortune 500). And 2. It has recieved a lot of heat for over saturating the market with residents, therefore driving resident wages and working conditions down. They have been seen as doing this to help their own profit margin (why pay an attending when you can pay a resident to do much of the work in your hospital?) Some people think companies like HCA are the villains who are contributing further to the broken US Healthcare system.

For what its worth, I asked my interviewers about this and they gave me very transparent answers that made me feel that I could succeed here even with all this negativity swirling around HCA. Ultimately it's up to you to decide if you'd be willing to potentially work at a place with this reputation (at least for a year or 2). Also remember that whole FCOM, while heavily integrated with HCA, is an independent institution. You won't be going to HCA medical school. If you see something you don't like, you don't have to emulate it in your career. Hopefully this has shed some light on the issue as it has also been my #1 concern at this school. Feel free to DM if anyone wants to discuss it further.