2023-2024 Howard

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chilly_md

Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
2023-2024 Howard Secondary Prompts

There are some other sections as well, so the actual essay questions are scattered:

8. Was your childhood home located in a rural, urban or suburban area?
Rural
Urban
Suburban

9. Have you lived in communities which are medically underserved, or where the majority of the population is economically and/or educationally disadvantaged? (Please indicate, Yes or No and then explain/describe briefly in 250 words or less) (3000 char max)

10. Have you worked (volunteer or paid employment) with medically underserved, economically disadvantaged and/or educationally disadvantaged populations? (Please indicate, Yes or No and then explain/describe briefly in 250 words or less) (3000 char max)

11. After residency, do you plan to practice medicine in an underserved or disadvantaged community? (Please indicate, Yes or No and then explain/describe briefly in 250 words or less) (3000 char max)

12. Please provide below any additional information you believe is important in evaluating your application (e.g. additional coursework, problems with academic record; disadvantaged, etc.) (Please indicate, Yes or No and then explain/describe briefly in 250 words or less)

21. Did COVID-19 impact you preparing your AMCAS application for fall 2024? (i.e. volunteer/work experience, financially, course registration, MCAT testing, etc.) [Please respond Yes or No and then explain/describe briefly in 250 words or less, indicate N/A if not applicable]

22. Why Howard University College of Medicine? (2500 char)

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview feedback:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
+1 confirmation of completed primary received

email states that secondaries will be sent out july 31, 2023 - jan 14, 2024

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
+1 of completed primary as well, good luck to everyone this cycle

Reactions: 1 user
Just got my secondary! I cant find the essay entry/prompts though..

Got the secondary but only parts I got was --photo upload and course assignment --did anyone get the question portion or will that be in email number 3 ?
I got it. It's at the very bottom of the portal. Here are the questions @chilly_md

8. Was your childhood home located in a rural, urban or suburban area?
Rural
Urban
Suburban

9. Have you lived in communities which are medically underserved, or where the majority of the population is economically and/or educationally disadvantaged? (Please indicate, Yes or No and then explain/describe briefly in 250 words or less)
0/3000

10. Have you worked (volunteer or paid employment) with medically underserved, economically disadvantaged and/or educationally disadvantaged populations? (Please indicate, Yes or No and then explain/describe briefly in 250 words or less)
0/3000

11. After residency, do you plan to practice medicine in an underserved or disadvantaged community? (Please indicate, Yes or No and then explain/describe briefly in 250 words or less)
0/3000

12. Please provide below any additional information you believe is important in evaluating your application (e.g. additional coursework, problems with academic record; disadvantaged, etc.) (Please indicate, Yes or No and then explain/describe briefly in 250 words or less)

21. Did COVID-19 impact you preparing your AMCAS application for fall 2024? (i.e. volunteer/work experience, financially, course registration, MCAT testing, etc.) [Please respond Yes or No and then explain/describe briefly in 250 words or less, indicate N/A if not applicable]
0/2000

22. Why Howard University College of Medicine?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Just have to say that I'm super bummed this school doesn't waive secondary fees for those on FAP :cryi: This is the first MD application I've had that didn't! Even my DO apps have accepted AAMC Fee Waiver for secondaries!

Reactions: 2 users
Anyone know why they're asking for SAT/ACT on the secondary lol? Don't remember what I got nor how to find out

Anyone know why they're asking for SAT/ACT on the secondary lol? Don't remember what I got nor how to find out
lol I'm tryna figure that out myself, like who just has that information

Literally! Lol. I'm a nontrad, so it's been like 13 years since I've taken the ACT

Is anyone else having trouble with submission? I'm getting the "Error, please retry" message.

Please can someone answer if we should follow the 250 words limit or the 3000 characters limit?

PREview is recommended but but required…I’m trying to figure out if taking it is worth making my secondary late. Thoughts?

Normally after submitting the application, I receive an email from the school stating, "Thank you for submitting your supplemental application..." I did not get that when I submitted this app. Anybody have the same issue?

Got a email saying Secondary received (sent on July 21) and file marked complete yesterday.
Normally after submitting the application, I receive an email from the school stating, "Thank you for submitting your supplemental application..." I did not get that when I submitted this app. Did you have this issue?

Normally after submitting the application, I receive an email from the school stating, "Thank you for submitting your supplemental application..." I did not get that when I submitted this app. Anybody have the same issue?
I just submitted it around 30 minutes ago and have not received anything just yet.

submitted secondary around a week ago and barely got secondary acknowledgement email.

Has anyone received regular MD interview? IS or OOS

Last edited:
For this question: Are you now currently working or plan to work Full or Part time in medicine or a medical-related field (Nursing, EMT, PA, Office Assistant, Scribe, Pharmacy Technician, etc)?
I'm working a full time job in research so I don't plan on working (employment) in medicine, but I will continue my volunteering scribing occassionally. So then do I say no for this question?

Ok I see the email and it does say September till April

am i being gaslit rn omg
IMG_4829.jpg

I don't see Howard on the AAMC website's list of PREview schools?
hmmmm let me look again.
I made a list in April & something might have changed...

For Howard, PREview is recommended, but not required.

Situational judgment test (SJT) and/or other assessments:
Assessment Additional Information
AAMC PREviewFor 23-24 admissions cycle, we recommend applicants take the PREview exam, the COM will use for research purposes.