2023-2024 UT San Antonio (Long)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
@mr.mysteryguest feedback could have been helpful before rank lists were due. I would love to get @kit10 perspective to balance this feedback out.
Man, it’s comments like this that keep folks from speaking up. It’s unfortunate that my decision to log on to sdn for the first time in a year didn’t align with a moment that was convenient for you, but alas the paint is dry.

Maybe it’ll be helpful to folks down the line or who have a WL open up this season.

In response to some of the other posts, every class will vary, and every group or clique within every class will vary (not sure how other classes have been but cliques formed up by like week 2 in ours, lol). You absolutely have a choice in who you surround yourself with. I’m very grateful to have friends in various groups of folks and it is true, the majority of my classmates are warm and collaborative.

I’m happy to hear what @kit10 said about the collaboration in their class bc it’s relatively similar in ours, with some exceptions.

Again, I spoke to the grading system and the vibe of neuroticism that was bred in our class and among folks I interacted with in the one below.

I also do this out of respect for the not insignificant number of my friends who failed classes or had incompletes. It’s been a hard truth for them, and I want future students to know what you might be getting into so you can prepare yourselves mentally and emotionally.

If my original post resonates with you and you’re going to Long or any other graded preclinical school, you have a heads up to begin building the skills and routines that will keep your brain happy, healthy, and free of whatever anyone else is doing or saying.

If you have any questions please don’t hesitate to reach out!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
Does anyone have a picture or a link to a 4 year curriculum overview/timeline? Can't find it anywhere online.

Does anyone have a picture or a link to a 4 year curriculum overview/timeline? Can't find it anywhere online.

Members don't see this ad :)
This is what our preclinicals looked like, can’t help if you need specific dates.

For anyone curious about the schedule generally, 3rd year begins whenever you start clerkships. Default start date is in June of 3rd year, but a percent of the class is able to start 1-2 (maybe 3 for a select few?) clerkships early, particularly if you clear/pass the cbse. I.e default start date is in June but you do fm/ob early so you finish 3rd year 12 weeks early.

The rest of the time is electives, away rotations, research if you want it, vacation (if you have the time), etc.

Attachments

• C5718EDF-AFD9-44A3-AAA8-0DEB6CE8B583.jpeg
    C5718EDF-AFD9-44A3-AAA8-0DEB6CE8B583.jpeg
    435.3 KB · Views: 133
Reactions: 1 users
This is what our preclinicals looked like, can’t help if you need specific dates.

For anyone curious about the schedule generally, 3rd year begins whenever you start clerkships. Default start date is in June of 3rd year, but a percent of the class is able to start 1-2 (maybe 3 for a select few?) clerkships early, particularly if you clear/pass the cbse. I.e default start date is in June but you do fm/ob early so you finish 3rd year 12 weeks early.

The rest of the time is electives, away rotations, research if you want it, vacation (if you have the time), etc.
Wait so Clinical Skills last 2 years? What does the class encompass? I hope that is not a dumb question

Wait so Clinical Skills last 2 years? What does the class encompass? I hope that is not a dumb question
It does. Basically feels like a theatre of medicine class. You pretend you are in a clinic and interact with a standardized patient, take a history, and perform a physical exam, usually one that pertains to the module you're in.

I think the biggest perk of the class and how longitudinal it is, is the constant desensitization to working with future patients. It has been great for getting out the jitters, refining my style of history taking, and learning what not to say in a clinical encounter. Especially with the sensitive labs like genitourinary exams.

The way our school crams it into an already slammed schedule makes it difficult to really learn the WHY behind the exams you're performing, but by 3rd year you are able to go through the motions of a cardio, pulm, msk, etc. exam.

I've been told that alot of the "why do you do this part of the exam" and "what is normal/abnormal" is really driven home in 3rd year.

The class ebbs and flows though. Some months you won't have any CS labs, and others it'll be like 1-2/week.

If we don't have Long on our CYMS tool as "alternate list," does that mean we're not on their waitlist?

If we don't have Long on our CYMS tool as "alternate list," does that mean we're not on their waitlist?
Every single interviewee goes on their waitlist no matter what, they just may not have updated it yet

Do the protocols regarding withdrawing from all but 3 schools on April 15 and then committing to enroll at 1 school on April 30th apply to TMDSAS programs?

Members don't see this ad :)
Do the protocols regarding withdrawing from all but 3 schools on April 15 and then committing to enroll at 1 school on April 30th apply to TMDSAS programs?
Are you IS for Texas or OOS?
If you are IS, the TMDSAS Match has already narrowed you down to 1 TMDSAS school.

If you are OOS, yes you have to play by the rules you mentioned

Are you IS for Texas or OOS?
If you are IS, the TMDSAS Match has already narrowed you down to 1 TMDSAS school.

If you are OOS, yes you have to play by the rules you mentioned
I’m OOS, thanks so much for the clarification!

Reactions: 1 user
I’m a MS3 at Long. Everything I’ve read about the cons of a graded curriculum, I have experienced at our school.

The vibe and energy of the classes, atleast mine and the one below, is very unchill when it come to lectures (like 90% of your life in MS1&2). I swear I never went a day without hearing at least one person complain how behind they were on the material.

God forbid you’re a lil adhd and have to use 3rd party materials to learn, then most of the time you very likely will be “behind”! In my opinion, the graded curriculum is a total ball and chain on the process of acquiring preclinical knowledge at Long.

For a number of the modules, the lectures were chronically disappointing in that slide decks were recycled from years past and it was clear the presenter was reading them for the first time. (This wasn’t the case for ALL the modules, but it also was not uncommon. We have some of the most incredible and talented anatomy instructors. Like amazing.)

Our in-house exams are… disappointing. Working through AMBOSS, UWorld or NBME questions, the quality does not remotely compare.

The exams are obviously based on in-house lecture material, and it is not rare to have the most random or minute concepts from like one slide in one lecture tested on the final.

If you’re a student that has to use other tools to learn (sketchy, bnb, pathoma, anki, pixorize, drawing, Goljan) and find it difficult to retain knowledge by sitting in a lecture for hours and hours of PowerPoints, Long is very difficult.

They make it that way by maintaining their graded curriculum and in-house exams, essentially pigeon holing everyone into a single way of learning (going to lecture and reading all of their PowerPoints/handouts). Don’t get me started on the handouts/pre-readings… they’re often bulletpoint lists of things covered in the lecture with little to no story, context, or logical framework for how to integrate the information.

If vibe and culture are a consideration for you, the graded curriculum sucks the life and fun out of a large chunk of the class. Everyone is worried about whether they memorized enough random facts from class slides to get a H on the exam, while spending most of their time learning the concepts from 3rd party sources.

You can choose to not worry about your grade (believe me it’s liberating) but if your class is anything like mine at LongSOM, you will be surrounded by stressed out med students constantly frustrated that they are behind on the material.
Thank you for sharing your experience!

I was waitlisted on Monday as well for MD/PhD

Anyone not in the MD-PHD program get an email about waitlist?

does anyone know when they begin to give OOS decisions now that IS match is complete?

They have been giving OOS decisions along the way. Are you assuming none were given?
I saw that some have been given per this forum, but I was under the impression that a majority of the OOS decisions would be given after match once they'd filled their quota of IS students! I haven't heard from them yet so just patiently waiting... :)

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
I saw that some have been given per this forum, but I was under the impression that a majority of the OOS decisions would be given after match once they'd filled their quota of IS students! I haven't heard from them yet so just patiently waiting... :)
They are allowed 23 OOS seats although they have admitted far more past year or two.

Unless the school has a stated policy saying they are admitting OOS students at a later date we normally assume they filled the quota and OOS students need to withdraw before they can admit more, or at least thats how we interpret for most Texas schools which are allowed max 10%.

^Class of 2028 GroupMe

I still haven't heard anything either (OOS)

that was definitely my understanding of it as well

Reactions: 2 users
how much time off/breaks do we get off in the winter and summer our first year?

For the 2023-2024 school year, Fall classes started on July 31st and ended on December 15th and Spring classes started on January 8th and ended on May 24th. Summer break between 1st and 2nd year is about a month long

For the 2023-2024 school year, Fall classes started on July 31st and ended on December 15th and Spring classes started on January 8th and ended on May 24th. Summer break between 1st and 2nd year is about a month long
When do rotations start? I would think you should have 2 months in summer?

Can't imagine anyone doing research in one month.

Any OOS students still not heard back yet? Is the assumption that we're on the waitlist?