2023-2024 Vanderbilt

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
+1 WL

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats to everyone that got in! You guys deserve it. For the rest of us on the waitlist, it isn’t what we wanted, but there’s still hope!

• Care
Reactions: 3 users
If we don’t send a letter of intent does that basically mean we won’t get off the waitlist??

Reactions: 1 user
I’ll be withdrawing. I was selected for a full-tuition merit scholarship. I’m not sure if the merit scholarship transfers over to someone else if a recipient withdraws, but I hope it goes to you!!

+1

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone know if the 40% acceptance rate factors in those taken off the WL?

So there’s like 400 people on the waitlist and 20 people get off…..am I missing something

mm where are you getting 400 from? I do not see anything in the WL email that indicates this number
Just that their class size is 96 they probably sent out 150-175 initial acceptances and then WL everyone else they interview

Members don't see this ad :)
Just that their class size is 96 they probably sent out 150-175 initial acceptances and then WL everyone else they interview
Initial A’s are closer to about 300. Vandy’s yield is pretty low, last year they admitted 330 including people who were initially WL’d

Initial A’s are closer to about 300. Vandy’s yield is pretty low, last year they admitted 330 including people who were initially WL’d
Oh wow! That’s pretty low! But still even if they accept 300 initially there’s still 419 people on the waitlist for 30 spots

With yesterday's WL to Vandy, my cycle is over. Thank god for the end.

Just wondering, where did you get this information from? Is there some website with this data for other schools as well? Thanks.

Anyone know if there is financial assistance for travel to Second Look?

Is there any possibility of receiving a merit scholarship/financial aid after getting off the waitlist? or if you get off are you essentially expected to pay full tuition?

Anyone know if there is financial assistance for travel to Second Look?
Someone I know asked multiple times, if there is support, reimbursement, or ability to have the travel cost be covered instead of the hotel, but unfortunately they are not able to provide that (to low income individuals). They do provide hotel lodging and foo, fortunately.

does anyone know why Vandy's yield is so low? As a T5 program I'd think it would be higher
It's historically more t 15, the whole situation with submitting data or not to USNWR had moved them up

does anyone know why Vandy's yield is so low? As a T5 program I'd think it would be higher
Probably at least partially related to factors like location—a lot of people would rather go to coastal cities, and there are some places like Vandy, Mayo and Wash U in the south/midwest that are awesome but have fairly low yields. Reputation-wise, I agree with what Toasted said. Here's the evolution of USNWR rankings from 2000-2022 (I don't mean to suggest that USNWR is gospel—far from it—but I do think it's a useful tool for illustrating how schools are perceived over stretches of time). Vanderbilt has historically hung out in the mid-teens.

Probably at least partially related to factors like location—a lot of people would rather go to coastal cities, and there are some places like Vandy, Mayo and Wash U in the south/midwest that are awesome but have fairly low yields. Reputation-wise, I agree with what Toasted said. Here's the evolution of USNWR rankings from 2000-2022 (I don't mean to suggest that USNWR is gospel—far from it—but I do think it's a useful tool for illustrating how schools are perceived over stretches of time). Vanderbilt has historically hung out in the mid-teens.

By low yield, do you mean they accept relatively few applicants, or they retain relatively few acceptees?

By low yield, do you mean they accept relatively few applicants, or they retain relatively few acceptees?
Retain. In fact the over award merit scholarships because they know many wont come

Interesting that the traditional T5 are pretty inline with historical averages: Harvard, Hopkins, Penn, UCSF holding up the core, and it seems like Stanford edges out Columbia (But I think the last spot in the T5 is usually more variable anyways). Curious that Harvard has never budged from #1 despite fluctuations to every other T5 school...HMMM......

Interesting that the traditional T5 are pretty inline with historical averages: Harvard, Hopkins, Penn, UCSF holding up the core, and it seems like Stanford edges out Columbia (But I think the last spot in the T5 is usually more variable anyways). Curious that Harvard has never budged from #1 despite fluctuations to every other T5 school...HMMM......
Not sure if you know but the reason harvard has and will have a chokehold on USNWR #1 is due to their weighting for research funding. Harvard has many more research hospitals affiliated with it than other schools which is why it's number there goes high.

We should have a ufc fight between stanford and Columbia to determine the real #5. My dibs are on stanford, I just have a feeling they got a good knock out.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Retain. In fact the over award merit scholarships because they know many wont come
In light of that, I've always found it odd that Vandy's mean graduate debt load (~240k) is so much more than other T10-T20 schools that offer a lot of merit/need-based aid. Columbia, WashU, Penn, Cornell, and UChicago all have mean debt of 100-125k, for comparison.

Also re:rankings, those wild historical swings show that, imo, there's not much value in parsing schools apart by a couple of ranks. The big driver of US News and PD research scores (both really flawed) is NiH funding, and BRIMR has far better data for that if it really matters to your interests.

In light of that, I've always found it odd that Vandy's mean graduate debt load (~240k) is so much more than other T10-T20 schools that offer a lot of merit/need-based aid. Columbia, WashU, Penn, Cornell, and UChicago all have mean debt of 100-125k, for comparison.

Also re:rankings, those wild historical swings show that, imo, there's not much value in parsing schools apart by a couple of ranks.
Vandy only gives up to 45% of COA or one of their tuition scholarships. The other schools all don’t have that kind of cap

Vandy only gives up to 45% of COA or one of their tuition scholarships. The other schools all don’t have that kind of cap
Oh interesting, so they don't stack merit/need-based and you can't get full tuition from just need-based aid?

Oh interesting, so they don't stack merit/need-based and you can't get full tuition from just need-based aid?
Yup, think that's the case since the 75% tuition scholarship already exceeds the 45% cap for COA

is it 45% COA or 45% tuition? During my interview they said 45% tuition for need-based

is it 45% COA or 45% tuition? During my interview they said 45% tuition for need-based
Yeah if I'm not mistaken, they offered 45% of the COA for need-based up to 75% for merit based tuition scholarships. It is very telling of the institution, however, that you can't get awarded both need and merit scholarships.

Have they shared anything about waitlist movement? I imagine since everyone gets either an A or a WL post-ii it’s not a huge movement?

I sent an update letter the other day and they told me to re-send it on 4/29 because they aren’t looking at the waitlist yet

Have they shared anything about waitlist movement? I imagine since everyone gets either an A or a WL post-ii it’s not a huge movement?
From my understanding, waitlist movement starts on May 1st. I also have heard from current students that a large percentage of the class is students who get off the waitlist.

Withdrew (this one was painful) good luck all

• Care
I also withdrew this week, hope it goes to one of you!