2024-2025 UCLA (Geffen)

Started by wysdoc
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
No that definitely makes a lot of sense! I just don’t really understand how they’re both ranked and unranked at the same time? I mean the person on the phone admitted that they have SOME kind’ve list right?
Ahhh I see where you’re confused. She definitely used the term “list”. So yes they get together and come up with a list. It’s ranked in the sense that there’s a two tier ranking system (top priority and reg). And “unranked” because they try to make it seem like everyone has an equal opportunity to get off the wl when someone withdraws when in actuality that’s not the case.
 
Ahhh I see where you’re confused. She definitely used the term “list”. So yes they get together and come up with a list. It’s ranked in the sense that there’s a two tier ranking system (top priority and reg). And “unranked” because they try to make it seem like everyone has an equal opportunity to get off the wl when someone withdraws when in actuality that’s not the case.
Ahhhh that makes a lot of sense. Thank you!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Or maybe that the people they offered WL positions to are turning it down. DGSOM was my dream school but the COA is making me break out into a sweat. 98K/yr for in-state. For reference, UCSD is 68K/yr AND they give a **** ton of need-based non-loan aid.
Geez. So does that mean for instate students their average debt comes over to around 350k + ?
 
Geez. So does that mean for instate students their average debt comes over to around 350k + ?
I guess… The fixed costs I can’t do anything about are the 53K/yr tuition + health insurance and the student housing that will come out 20K/yr. Maybe if I only eat ramen noodles everyday I can squeak out a total COA of 75K/yr
 
The biggest criticizers of UCLA and UCSF on SDN/Reddit aren’t waitlisted students trying to manipulate waitlist odds in their favor (such as pointed out earlier) but rather MOST of it comes from students that are against the diversity focused admissions process used by these two schools. It’s actually quite sad though because I truly believe UCLA has some of the most holistic admissions process. I’m an Asian applicant with a low MCAT and still had the opportunity to interview here and be on the waitlist. I’m sure there’s other ORM applicants, just like myself, who were evaluated beyond stats unlike how this lawsuit describes it. I think it’s really unfortunate the way these articles paint UCLA.
 
Last edited:
The biggest criticizers of UCLA and UCSF on SDN/Reddit aren’t always waitlisted students trying to manipulate waitlist odds in their favor (such as pointed out earlier) but rather MOST of it comes from students that are against the diversity focused admissions process used by these two schools. It’s actually quite sad though because I truly believe UCLA has some of the most holistic admissions process. I’m an Asian applicant with a low MCAT and still had the opportunity to interview here and be on the waitlist. I’m sure there’s other ORM applicants, just like myself, who were evaluated beyond stats unlike how this lawsuit describes it. I think it’s really unfortunate the way these articles paint UCLA.
And the thing is I totally understand ORM frustration. It sucks to work really hard and not get what you want. But also on the other side of the coin, in no world would it make sense not to have urm physicians. A lot of urms come from disadvantaged backgrounds. They reflect the general population and their lived experiences contribute to the betterment of medical practices in urm patients. And in all honesty when you really look at it only like 5 % of doctors in the us are latinx and same goes for black physicians. They make it seem like 50% of the physician population are affirmative action hires lol. Even if they completely eradicate holistic admissions I doubt these crybabies would have much of a higher chance of getting in lol.
 
The former UCLA/Drew program carried alot of the diversity for DGSOM, with CDU having its own med school and the dissolution of the UCLA/Drew program, alot of students theorized that there might have been a drop in URM representation. I have not followed up on the newer classes demographics. but even with the former UCLA/Drew program the class of 180 generally had probably less the <30% minorities. I know for my class. you can fit all the african american students in one small class room. its like 20 of us. lol
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
The biggest criticizers of UCLA and UCSF on SDN/Reddit aren’t waitlisted students trying to manipulate waitlist odds in their favor (such as pointed out earlier) but rather MOST of it comes from students that are against the diversity focused admissions process used by these two schools. It’s actually quite sad though because I truly believe UCLA has some of the most holistic admissions process. I’m an Asian applicant with a low MCAT and still had the opportunity to interview here and be on the waitlist. I’m sure there’s other ORM applicants, just like myself, who were evaluated beyond stats unlike how this lawsuit describes it. I think it’s really unfortunate the way these articles paint UCLA.
I fully agree. I was also an Asian male with a 123 on CARS but they were extremely forgiving bc I'm ESL & low-SES. I never even expected an interview let alone a WL from UCLA.
 
I just don’t know in what way it would affect it. Is this going to hurt URM applicants?
The truth is you'll probably never know. My guess, is that it wont be a drastic change in student demographics tbh. I have confidence in Dr. Lucero and UCLA that they'll stick to their commitment to reviewing holistically and addressing the need of a diverse physician workforce. I didnt meet UCLA standard by any metric, but I was blessed with an opportunity to be here after getting pulled from the WL, and I'm so grateful and im thriving. For those who are on the WL, I remember I got off the WL about 2wks after CTE. I was planning to attend SLU prior to getting off the WL at UCLA and even getting off the WL I had no issues getting grad housing. I stayed at Hilgard, my first year and half or so. and Hilgard if available is a place i would rank highly btw. its really convenient
 
The truth is you'll probably never know. My guess, is that it wont be a drastic change in student demographics tbh. I have confidence in Dr. Lucero and UCLA that they'll stick to their commitment to reviewing holistically and addressing the need of a diverse physician workforce. I didnt meet UCLA standard by any metric, but I was blessed with an opportunity to be here after getting pulled from the WL, and I'm so grateful and im thriving. For those who are on the WL, I remember I got off the WL about 2wks after CTE. I was planning to attend SLU prior to getting off the WL at UCLA and even getting off the WL I had no issues getting grad housing. I stayed at Hilgard, my first year and half or so. and Hilgard if available is a place i would rank highly btw. its really convenient
You CTE’d at SLU and still got off the waitlist at UCLA? I thought we weren’t allowed to remain on any waitlists after our CTE date. Or did you let UCLA know you wanted to remain on the waitlist?
 
You CTE’d at SLU and still got off the waitlist at UCLA? I thought we weren’t allowed to remain on any waitlists after our CTE date. Or did you let UCLA know you wanted to remain on the waitlist?
I may be using the terminology incorrect. I got my acceptance 2 weeks after everyone was able to only have 1 acceptance, but can stay on WL. i dont remember if thats CTE or Plan to enroll.
 
June 2nd is the CTE deadline for UCLA. By then they will for sure know what their class size looks like! People are still withdrawing the waitlist offers that were made on April 30
 
Also I called and asked admissions about the UID thing. They said that for some of the waitlisted students it shows up and some don’t but it’s just cause the system automatically generates it randomly. She said it doesn’t mean anything and that people without UID’s have been accepted
 
Also I called and asked admissions about the UID thing. They said that for some of the waitlisted students it shows up and some don’t but it’s just cause the system automatically generates it randomly. She said it doesn’t mean anything and that people without UID’s have been accepted
Thanks for this update purple! Did you get to ask about the UC Postbacc Consortium email?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Also I called and asked admissions about the UID thing. They said that for some of the waitlisted students it shows up and some don’t but it’s just cause the system automatically generates it randomly. She said it doesn’t mean anything and that people without UID’s have been accepted
Did they tell you anything about WL movement?
 
Last edited:
Free

Did they tell you anything about WL movement?
Yes, they said that there has been more movement this year compared to last year. I asked what she meant by "movement" and she said that more students have been dropping their offers this year compared to last year. I asked if there has been any delays to releasing offers this year considering that there hasn't been anything sent since April 30th and she said that there's still a lot of students that are holding multiple offers. She said that they have been urging accepted students to drop their acceptances if they know they will not be attending but she said that it appears that this year students are taking longer to make a decision either due to financial reasons or something else. She said that there will be more acceptances but she doesn't know when they will be released but that students have until June 2nd to decide. She just said to be patient for right now and once they have a better idea of how many students will or will not be attending they will release more acceptances. She did not indicate the amount of acceptances that would be released or around when to expect.
 
Last edited:
Yes, they said that there has been more movement this year compared to last year. I asked what she meant by "movement" and she said that more students have been dropping their offers this year compared to last year. I asked if there has been any delays to releasing offers this year considering that there hasn't been anything sent since April 30th and she said that there's still a lot of students that are holding multiple offers. She said that they have been urging accepted students to drop their acceptances if they know they will not be attending but she said that it appears that this year students are taking longer to make a decision either due to financial reasons or something else. She said that there will be more acceptances but she doesn't know when they will be released but that students have until June 2nd to decide. She just said to be patient for right now and once they have a better idea of how many students will or will not be attending they will release more acceptances. She did not indicate the amount of acceptances that would be released and around when to expect.
You’re literally the best. Thank you for sharing this update! Hopefully we’ll be classmates in UCLA 💛
 
Yes, they said that there has been more movement this year compared to last year. I asked what she meant by "movement" and she said that more students have been dropping their offers this year compared to last year. I asked if there has been any delays to releasing offers this year considering that there hasn't been anything sent since April 30th and she said that there's still a lot of students that are holding multiple offers. She said that they have been urging accepted students to drop their acceptances if they know they will not be attending but she said that it appears that this year students are taking longer to make a decision either due to financial reasons or something else. She said that there will be more acceptances but she doesn't know when they will be released but that students have until June 2nd to decide. She just said to be patient for right now and once they have a better idea of how many students will or will not be attending they will release more acceptances. She did not indicate the amount of acceptances that would be released or around when to expect.
Just wondering, did they seem to agree that no additional acceptances have been sent out since April 30th?
 
Just wondering, did they seem to agree that no additional acceptances have been sent out since April 30th?
Yes she was really sweet and acknowledged that they haven’t sent anything since then. She said something a long the lines of “I’m a super impatient person myself so I totally understand how frustrating it is to wait. On my end, I’ve been waiting too for some more acceptances to be released but nothing has been sent so far”
 
If the school has a lot of open seats as they stated, wouldn't they want to pull people off the WL to fill them asap?
That’s what doesn’t make sense to me either tbh. Especially with CTE coming up for a lot of people I don’t understand how just waiting and watching makes any sense
 
Could it have something to do with the lawsuit but they just can’t talk about it?
Who knows 🙁 if there’s anyone that’s in the accepted groupchat that can give some insight into what the headspace is amongst accepted students and whether or not it seems like a lot of students are still on the fence would be really helpful!
 
Who knows 🙁 if there’s anyone that’s in the accepted groupchat that can give some insight into what the headspace is amongst accepted students and whether or not it seems like a lot of students are still on the fence would be really helpful!

A few people have been joining and leaving the group. I'm guessing that the people who recently joined the GroupMe just found the GroupMe invite link, and not because they were admitted within these few days. The group number is currently at 222, including a few M1s. Everyone mostly discusses curriculum, housing, or the upcoming second look for the new people who just got off the WL. It seems that everyone knows that financial aid is not optimal this year, and is trying to make decisions based on other factors.

Hang tight! I feel like the GroupMe numbers are not representative of who has PTE/CTEed to UCLA since there have been no student removals from the moderators, so even if some students committed to other places, they might not have left the GroupMe. Sending good vibes to y'all!
 
Last edited:
A few people have been joining and leaving the group. I'm guessing that the people who recently joined the GroupMe just found the GroupMe invite link, and not because they were admitted within these few days. The group number is currently at 222, including a few M1s. Everyone mostly discusses curriculum, housing, or the upcoming second look for the new people who just got off the WL. It seems that everyone knows that financial aid is not optimal this year, and is trying to make decisions based on other factors.
Thanks!! Do u know when that second look is?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thanks! I'm just so confused why they have until 6/2 or 5/20 to decide 🙁 I thought it was 5 days! Just wish I knew the thinking...

6/2 is the CTE (like locked in) deadline. I'm not sure why the second look date is on 5/20 and if students from the WL are given until then to decide. From what I've heard, I thought that the WL students only have 5 days to switch their PTEs to UCLA, so maybe the 5/20 is just a second look for formalities after their PTE decision?

I know that this is a stressful time for everyone, but I really want to emphasize that there is definitely still a lot that could change in the coming few days! As the admissions office said, there's a lot of movement still waiting to happen.
 
Last edited:
Thanks! I'm just so confused why they have until 6/2 or 5/20 to decide 🙁 I thought it was 5 days! Just wish I knew the thinking...

I think people who have been offered an acceptance off the waitlist have 5 days to decide. 6/2 date refers to people who were accepted from the pre-waitlist batch. They may have listed UCLA for PTE but they may not put UCLA for CTE because they got off a waitlist between May 1 and June 2.