-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2024-2025 UCLA (Geffen)
Started by wysdoc
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
junebloom123
Full Member
Gives more reason to move on if people are consistently getting off the WL and movement is slowing down. But in this case, the school has completely halted in their communication.
purple3081
Full Member
I really hate to be that person since I know accepted students have really really difficult decisions to make and shouldn’t feel rushed but if there is any accepted students out there who know 100% that they will not be attending and still haven’t dropped their spot yet please do so that way things can start picking up a little bit on the waitlist end
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
premedwhoopss
Full Member
good luck to everyone on the WL! From my understanding, AMCAS does not permit applicants to hold more than 1 acceptance after April 30th, so all current DGSOM accepted students should only have DGSOM as their accepted school. However, I assume a good number of them (such as myself) have PTE'd to DGSOM and not CTE in case they get off a WL at a higher choice school. Given this, DGSOM probably does not know what their class size looks like yet/how many open spots are available, which is likely why there hasn't been much WL movement since 4/30. Hope this provides some clarity and best of luck to everyone!
junebloom123
Full Member
Did the school share if they actually rejected people post interview? JwYes, they said that there has been more movement this year compared to last year. I asked what she meant by "movement" and she said that more students have been dropping their offers this year compared to last year. I asked if there has been any delays to releasing offers this year considering that there hasn't been anything sent since April 30th and she said that there's still a lot of students that are holding multiple offers. She said that they have been urging accepted students to drop their acceptances if they know they will not be attending but she said that it appears that this year students are taking longer to make a decision either due to financial reasons or something else. She said that there will be more acceptances but she doesn't know when they will be released but that students have until June 2nd to decide. She just said to be patient for right now and once they have a better idea of how many students will or will not be attending they will release more acceptances. She did not indicate the amount of acceptances that would be released or around when to expect.
purple3081
Full Member
no i didn't ask 🙁Did the school share if they actually rejected people post interview? Jw
junebloom123
Full Member
Thanks for all the other info you got! Another quiet day I guessno i didn't ask 🙁
purple3081
Full Member
Yeah also I will say she mentioned on the phone that second look already past? But someone here said it was on the 20th of this month. Is that event second look or is it just a separate event for only students that just got off the waitlist
purple3081
Full Member
You’re very welcome!Thanks for all the other info you got! Another quiet day I guess
Bagel Enjoyer
Full Member
It’s a visit day for students who got off the waitlist, not a traditional second look.Yeah also I will say she mentioned on the phone that second look already past? But someone here said it was on the 20th of this month. Is that event second look or is it just a separate event for only students that just got off the waitlist
artemisqueen
Full Member
Dang it should've been around June when they've finalized their class hahaIt’s a visit day for students who got off the waitlist, not a traditional second look.
Bagel Enjoyer
Full Member
I think it’s for those of us on the fence who wanted to go in person before having to CTE on 6/2.Dang it should've been around June when they've finalized their class haha
artemisqueen
Full Member
Yeah that makes more senseI think it’s for those of us on the fence who wanted to go in person before having to CTE on 6/2.
purple3081
Full Member
She did mention that they are planning an event for a majority of the accepted off the waitlisted students to attend at a later date. She didn’t know the details or around when since this would be their first year doing it.Yeah that makes more sense
Thats really nice, getting off the WL was like pretty nerve-wrecking. I came to LA off the WL, never having even been in Cali in my life, and with no support. I think just having a second look or opportunity to come out here after being accepted off the WL wouldve been nice.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
junebloom123
Full Member
Wondering if reg WL people will now have to wait till 6/2 to get pulled off
purple3081
Full Member
Could be. Also makes more sense why they haven’t sent too many post interview rejections yet. If they wait until after June 2nd, they know their own waitlist pool will shrink since students will have to start dropping their waitlist positions. Seem like they’re basically anticipating the worst by holding off on sending post interview rejectionsWondering if reg WL people will now have to wait till 6/2 to get pulled off
What could they gain by doing that?Could be. Also makes more sense why they haven’t sent too many post interview rejections yet. If they wait until after June 2nd, they know their own waitlist pool will shrink since students will have to start dropping their waitlist positions. Seem like they’re basically anticipating the worst by holding off on sending post interview rejections
purple3081
Full Member
Well obviously I’m just speculating. In short: I don’t think they’re doing any of this to gain anything but rather to ensure they don’t underfill OR overfill. I know with overfilling the adcoms can get in a lot of trouble since they have a very strict seat limit. From what we know, they don’t know how many people will CTE this year and so they are holding off on sending more acceptances off of the waitlist. The downside to that though is that the longer they wait the smaller their waitlist pool gets (people with other acceptances that have early CTE deadlines will have to drop their waitlist position). With that they MIGHT have to keep the non waitlist students on the back burner. AGAIN this is all speculative so plz don’t take what I have to say super seriously. I’m just trying to make sense of all of their strange patterns this cycle.What could they gain by doing that?
dreamingmed
Full Member
This cycle is going in the history books... It's not just UCLA. Another college that I am waitlisted at is dead silent. Not even one conversion..
considering 5/20 date and 5 days to accept - I am hoping there will be some movement tomorrow.. Well, we are allowed to dream 🙂
considering 5/20 date and 5 days to accept - I am hoping there will be some movement tomorrow.. Well, we are allowed to dream 🙂
purple3081
Full Member
Anton know why this cycle is so different?This cycle is going in the history books... It's not just UCLA. Another college that I am waitlisted at is dead silent. Not even one conversion..
considering 5/20 date and 5 days to accept - I am hoping there will be some movement tomorrow.. Well, we are allowed to dream 🙂
happypremed2001
Full Member
If they don’t send anything today imma lose it
Last edited:
junebloom123
Full Member
This type of dreadful, incommunicable waiting period is slowly making me lose the excitement I had for this school
dreamingmed
Full Member
These were my thoughts this morning... "Am I still excited about this?"This type of dreadful, incommunicable waiting period is slowly making me lose the excitement I had for this school
artemisqueen
Full Member
honestly I don't think they're releasing anything until June 2 or after
purple3081
Full Member
Probably. Accepted students are probably going to hold off on CTE’ing until the last final days in case if they get off the waitlist elsewhere. I just hope that for the remainder of waitlist pulls they focus on mission fit heavy students who will 100% go if taken off. That will definitely at least help speed up the process.honestly I don't think they're releasing anything until June 2 or after
Like of course it had to be this year 🙄I wish they didn’t suddenly decide to do it this way this year! lol
junebloom123
Full Member
Wouldn't waiting till 6/2 to pull from the WL lead to the school missing out on candidates they considered potentially more favorable?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
purple3081
Full Member
Yup which is exactly the reason why I think they haven’t sent out post-interview rejections yet. Worst case scenario they can always pull those students into the waitlist. In one of my emails with admissions (like two weeks ago) they said anyone that still hasn’t heard anything back yet is still “under consideration”.Wouldn't waiting till 6/2 to pull from the WL lead to the school missing out on candidates they considered potentially more favorable?
junebloom123
Full Member
I didn't realize there were people who haven't heard back post interview. I can see that. But why would't they want to try to pull the more favorable candidates for hopes they would come to UCLA before those applicants commit to other schools?Yup which is exactly the reason why I think they haven’t sent out post-interview rejections yet. Worst case scenario they can always pull those students into the waitlist. In one of my emails with admissions (like two weeks ago) they said anyone that still hasn’t heard anything back yet is still “under consideration”.
purple3081
Full Member
is anyone able to say what the groupchat is at now?
purple3081
Full Member
Yield uncertainty my guess? They don’t want to risk overfilling or underfilling. Again, this is just my opinionI didn't realize there were people who haven't heard back post interview. I can see that. But why would't they want to try to pull the more favorable candidates for hopes they would come to UCLA before those applicants commit to other schools?
junebloom123
Full Member
I would assume they have some open seats now thoughYield uncertainty my guess? They don’t want to risk overfilling or underfilling. Again, this is just my opinion
bananaburger
New Member
Does anyone know why the financial aid is ungenerous this year? At least for those who are receiving need-based aid?A few people have been joining and leaving the group. I'm guessing that the people who recently joined the GroupMe just found the GroupMe invite link, and not because they were admitted within these few days. The group number is currently at 222, including a few M1s. Everyone mostly discusses curriculum, housing, or the upcoming second look for the new people who just got off the WL. It seems that everyone knows that financial aid is not optimal this year, and is trying to make decisions based on other factors.
Hang tight! I feel like the GroupMe numbers are not representative of who has PTE/CTEed to UCLA since there have been no student removals from the moderators, so even if some students committed to other places, they might not have left the GroupMe. Sending good vibes to y'all!
purple3081
Full Member
for those of you who attend the visit day tomorrow please let us know how it goes!! I hope it goes well for all of you 🙂
This is so frustrating...ugh, my other school has a CTE June 1st. No way gunners are gonna drop until after 2nd or whatever the other CTE deadline is. This is not fair man. Waiting for months on end on waitlists sucks, and when you reach out to adcoms.... silence or a generic auto response. So please please if you have multiple A's from MDs and you know you're not going to attend, PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, drop the school's A
purple3081
Full Member
The thing that sucks is that I don’t think dgsom really cares if students on the waitlist have to commit to other schools in the meantime. My friend is in a similar situation and when she called and asked them what she should do they said “well you have to do what you have to do and if that means dropping your waitlist position and going to a different school than that’s okay. You can always go come back here for residency or rotations.”This is so frustrating...ugh, my other school has a CTE June 1st. No way gunners are gonna drop until after 2nd or whatever the other CTE deadline is. This is not fair man. Waiting for months on end on waitlists sucks, and when you reach out to adcoms.... silence or a generic auto response. So please please if you have multiple A's from MDs and you know you're not going to attend, PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, drop the school's A
I feel like this has a lot to do with the political climate. A lot of these top dog institutions are afraid of having their funding cut further by trump and his band of idiots. The budget cuts, legal action, and all the punishments these institutions have been exposed to for gender affirmative action, racial affirmative action, holistic admissions, etc. have caused them to change how they select medical candidates. This process change has caused a negative cascade affecting just about all medical schools in the US. This isn’t only at UCLA, this is across the USA. If you look at forums of this year at each school and compare them to previous years wl movement is no where what it used to be. But the funny part about all this is, these radical agendas are going to lead to more less qualified individuals occupying spots at top institutions. Top dog schools like ucla that attract overly qualified applicants tend to have early cte dates. More often than not the students they place on the wl have varying stat levels, as the cte deadline approaches more overly qualified students withdraw. So practically after June 2nd, they will be left with “bottom of the barrel” applicants with lower stats and or no offers, of which they’d have to accept. Which would be fulfilling the exact opposite of what the trump administration is trying so hard to stop.The thing that sucks is that I don’t think dgsom really cares if students on the waitlist have to commit to other schools in the meantime. My friend is in a similar situation and when she called and asked them what she should do they said “well you have to do what you have to do and if that means dropping your waitlist position and going to a different school than that’s okay. You can always go come back here for residency or rotations.”
junebloom123
Full Member
I understand what you’re trying to get at but I wouldnt make the assumption that my waitlisted peers that may eventually matriculate to DGSOM are “bottom of the barrel” with low stats. UCLA has consistently valued mission-fit in their holistic admissions yet maintained a ~517, 3.8 (esp with nearly half the class coming off the WL in the last two yrs). Based on your logic, you’re assuming the WL is ranked by stats.I feel like this has a lot to do with the political climate. A lot of these top dog institutions are afraid of having their funding cut further by trump and his band of idiots. The budget cuts, legal action, and all the punishments these institutions have been exposed to for gender affirmative action, racial affirmative action, holistic admissions, etc. have caused them to change how they select medical candidates. This process change has caused a negative cascade affecting just about all medical schools in the US. This isn’t only at UCLA, this is across the USA. If you look at forums of this year at each school and compare them to previous years wl movement is no where what it used to be. But the funny part about all this is, these radical agendas are going to lead to more less qualified individuals occupying spots at top institutions. Top dog schools like ucla that attract overly qualified applicants tend to have early cte dates. More often than not the students they place on the wl have varying stat levels, as the cte deadline approaches more overly qualified students withdraw. So practically after June 2nd, they will be left with “bottom of the barrel” applicants with lower stats and or no offers, of which they’d have to accept. Which would be fulfilling the exact opposite of what the trump administration is trying so hard to stop.
In addition, there are no hard facts saying that these “lower stats” applicants you speak of are URM. Which then may not have any relation to a racial addendum wrt what the Trump administration aims to stop.
Last edited:
purple3081
Full Member
So what do we think? That they’ll send more acceptances after the June 2nd CTE deadline or like a few days before it? I won’t be surprised if they string us out until then 😫
junebloom123
Full Member
FYI I just tried calling the school to ask questions and the call automatically takes you to a recording directing us to send an email instead
purple3081
Full Member
It gave me that once before too! I think usually they do that if someone isn’t available to answer because when I called again later a real person answeredFYI I just tried calling the school to ask questions and the call automatically takes you to a recording directing us to send an email instead
Last edited:
junebloom123
Full Member
Maybe they're busy today bc of visit day?It gave me that once before too! I think usually they do that if someone isn’t available to answer and then when I called again later they answered
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Do you guys think there is any possibility that DGSOM over-admitted and will not need to pull ppl off the WL?
purple3081
Full Member
I thought about this too but 1) we know that they’re in the works of planning a second event for all of the off the waitlist students to join so why would they do that if there were no other students getting off 2) the lady on the phone said there will be more acceptances but just to be patient. If anyone else wants to call and confirm that that’s still the case it would be much appreciatedDo you guys think there is any possibility that DGSOM over-admitted and will not need to pull ppl off the WL?
purple3081
Full Member
Basically no one has gotten off since April 30. No one got off on the 1st or 2nd of May based on SDN and admitHas no one gotten off the waitlist since April 30 - May 2?
Wow. What on earth would have to happen behind the scenes to stop the flow of the waitlist this drastically??Basically no one has gotten off since April 30. No one got off on the 1st or 2nd of May based on SDN and admit