You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2024-2025 Weill Cornell
Started by wysdoc
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
southerncar
Full Member
let's just patiently wait
alhazenmanawi
Full Member
Sorry, didn't see the above messages. A bit insensitive to celebrate, I apologize. Wishing everyone the absolute best of luck
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
alhazenmanawi
Full Member
Thank you! Just MDcongrats!! is this for mstp?
southerncar
Full Member
that's a really fast, only 20 days to get to review. Is that not in order?II, LM 77, submit 8/2
The vast majority of schools don’t review in order! One of the only schools that appear to be reviewing in order is Pittsburgh.that's a really fast, only 20 days to get to review. Is that not in order?
avalanche.md
Full Member
Hey y’all! Current student here! Hope you’re staying sane this application season. It’s long but you’ll get through it!
The admissions office just sent us the sign-up for current student Q&As at interview sessions. Looks like they’re tentatively running September 5 - February 11.
Congrats to those that already received IIs. Good luck to the rest of you! Hope to see you on interview day soon 🙂
The admissions office just sent us the sign-up for current student Q&As at interview sessions. Looks like they’re tentatively running September 5 - February 11.
Congrats to those that already received IIs. Good luck to the rest of you! Hope to see you on interview day soon 🙂
Congrats! Complete date?+1 OOS II, LM ~77
PMauw
Full Member
Complete 7/15Congrats! Complete date?
FlaptavianBird
Full Member
I just got an email from them saying one of my LORs needs to be resubmitted because of “an issue with the date and salutation.”
I have not had a problem with any LORs at all of the 47 schools I applied to. Could this just be an error on Cornell’s part? Is it best to contact them?
I have not had a problem with any LORs at all of the 47 schools I applied to. Could this just be an error on Cornell’s part? Is it best to contact them?
Did you get any interview so far?I just got an email from them saying one of my LORs needs to be resubmitted because of “an issue with the date and salutation.”
I have not had a problem with any LORs at all of the 47 schools I applied to. Could this just be an error on Cornell’s part? Is it best to contact them?
southerncar
Full Member
what is complete date?I just got an email from them saying one of my LORs needs to be resubmitted because of “an issue with the date and salutation.”
I have not had a problem with any LORs at all of the 47 schools I applied to. Could this just be an error on Cornell’s part? Is it best to contact them?
FlaptavianBird
Full Member
No. I submitted my secondary a couple days ago.Did you get any interview so far?
If you are asking if I have received an interview in general, yes, I received one earlier in August. This is why I’m confused about there being a supposed problem with my LOR.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
southerncar
Full Member
What is complete date and lizzm if you don’t mindI got II today, and an email asking for a photo and a self-attested document.
Does someone know what we need to write in this self-attested document?
7/5 ,LizzyM 75What is complete date and lizzm if you don’t mind
findingdorymed
Full Member
submitted 7/5 and got II on 8/30Anyone get a II recently for Tri-I MSTP? If so, when did you submit if you don't mind me asking?
southerncar
Full Member
what is i Tri-I?Anyone get a II recently for Tri-I MSTP? If so, when did you submit if you don't mind me asking?
Tri-Institutional (Weill Cornell, Rockefeller, Sloan Kettering) MD-PhD programwhat is i Tri-I?
@sciolywin the place to look for MSTP & MD/PhD interview news is in the Physician Scientist forum.Anyone get a II recently for Tri-I MSTP? If so, when did you submit if you don't mind me asking?
Here is the Interview thread, there are threads for rejections and acceptances also
***2024-2025 MD/PhD Interview Invites***
Hi all! Figured it might be a good time to start this thread for this cycle. Best of luck to everyone, we got this!!! Copying @StressedStudent71232 's post from last year: Interview invites are just around the corner, figured I would copy @Glutenlover1948 's post from last year: The first...
avalanche.md
Full Member
This happened to me too. At Cornell only. Other schools didn’t seem to mind.I just got an email from them saying one of my LORs needs to be resubmitted because of “an issue with the date and salutation.”
I have not had a problem with any LORs at all of the 47 schools I applied to. Could this just be an error on Cornell’s part? Is it best to contact them?
newkungfukenny
Full Member
i believe cornell has an admissions decision day like the rest of the iviesdoes anyone know if Cornell sends decisions all at once, or do they go out sporadically based upon interview weeks?
Does anyone know what the group meeting for the interview is?
It's just a chill Q&A session with current students. You don't have to ask questions if you don't want to but it's a good chance to learn stuff about the campus, curriculum, etcDoes anyone know what the group meeting for the interview is?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
ur ballin
D
deleted1185824
Has anyone had their interview yet? Curious (terrified) to know if they're still doing the stress test interview
I had mine two weeks ago and both of my interviewers were super nice! I also talked to a med student there and they said that interviewers have specific instructions against stress interviewing this year. That being said, it can't hurt to prepare, and one of my friends who interviewed here last year gave me the advice to know your primary and secondary apps inside and out, and be able to craft a cohesive narrative about yourselfHas anyone had their interview yet? Curious (terrified) to know if they're still doing the stress test interview
D
deleted1185824
Thank you so much!!!! Appreciate it.I had mine two weeks ago and both of my interviewers were super nice! I also talked to a med student there and they said that interviewers have specific instructions against stress interviewing this year. That being said, it can't hurt to prepare, and one of my friends who interviewed here last year gave me the advice to know your primary and secondary apps inside and out, and be able to craft a cohesive narrative about yourself
premedstudent2243
New Member
Hi, I just got an email inviting me to to take the next step with my application - does anyone know if this is an interview invite? I went onto the portal and there is no information about an interview but it does ask me to upload a photo and signed attestation form. I did not receive or see an attestation form, so am also confused about that. Any insight would be appreciated, thanks!
alhazenmanawi
Full Member
Cornell sent me two emails, one is that, the other is the formal interview invite. The latter has the attestation attached. Check your spam, wait a bit, then maybe contact admissions if you don't hear anything in a couple days. Congratulations!Hi, I just got an email inviting me to to take the next step with my application - does anyone know if this is an interview invite? I went onto the portal and there is no information about an interview but it does ask me to upload a photo and signed attestation form. I did not receive or see an attestation form, so am also confused about that. Any insight would be appreciated, thanks!
newkungfukenny
Full Member
when was your submission date?Hi, I just got an email inviting me to to take the next step with my application - does anyone know if this is an interview invite? I went onto the portal and there is no information about an interview but it does ask me to upload a photo and signed attestation form. I did not receive or see an attestation form, so am also confused about that. Any insight would be appreciated, thanks!
indeterminateorigin
New Member
Just assigned my prerequisites and accidentally added the same lecture and lab for both biology sections. I’m only just now reading that you can’t “save” it, only submit. Should I contact them?
i don’t think any school is stats blind post II man+1 OOS II with very low stats. Does anyone know if Cornell is stats blind after interbvew?
intheguesthouse
Full Member
+1 IS II Complete 7/1X!
indeterminateorigin
New Member
I don't have an answer for you but I do have a congratulations! Great job, that's awesome+1 OOS II with very low stats. Does anyone know if Cornell is stats blind after interbvew?
When I uploaded my headshot, I completely did not see the instructions for the file name format: Lastname_Firstname_AAMC ID. I just uploaded the photo as "Headshot." Do you guys think this will be ok...? Or should I email admissions and ask if I can re-upload the photo?
D
deleted1194639
Do you have a source for this? Just curious.The vast majority of schools don’t review in order! One of the only schools that appear to be reviewing in order is Pittsburgh.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Do you have a source for this? Just curious.
Every school is going to be different. But essentially:
Applications flood in.
It is possible to sort applications daily and pull for priority review those with total GPA >x, MCAT > x, undergrad institution from a list of high priorty schools, or specific zip codes or home state. It is also possible to create an algorithm that assigns a score based on easily measured characteristics and prioritizes for review applicants that meet a given threshold. (every applicant will be reviewed eventually but we might want to prioritize applicants with super high scores or those from our state's rural counties, or from HBCUs, etc).
After whatever black box formula is used, an applicant is assigned to a pair of eyeballs.
Application goes to one reviewer to read with a rubric to score the application. Application with first review might go to a second reviewer to be confirmed or countered. Recommendation of the reviewer(s) to interview or not interview goes to the person who makes decisions about interview invites . In some cases, someone might be queued for interview in August but not get the actual invitation until November. That is why I institututed the Thanksgiving Rule that you aren't to worry about a lack of interview invites until after Thanksgiving.
Interviewers will see some or part of the application. They may see some or all of the reviewers comments, particularly if the reviewer has said, "probe applicant about decision to ___", or "applicant's motivation is unclear, seek clarification"
The interviewer(s) will write up an evaluation of the candidate. In some cases, the interviewer will be blinded to grades and scores to avoid creating a "halo effect". That doesn't mean that grades and scores won't matter in the end, but that they shouldn't inflate interviewers objective opinion of the applicant's interview performance.
Now a committee or a subgroup of the committee look at the assessments by the application reviewers and the interviewers and can dig into the application and LORs as well, as desired, and individually assess each interviewed applicant. If everyone is on the same page, great. If there is a discrepancy of opinion, there is a conversation. It might be one person who is troubled (or deeply touched) by a specific statement in an essay or a letter who brings it to the attention of the rest of the committee and turns the committee around but it is more likely that an outlier may see their own biases and make a correction. After all is said and done, the applicant gets a numeric score or is placed in a broad category which corresponds to a space on LizzyM's broad staircase.
There can be a second level of review to determine if one subcommittee and another are discordant (one more lenient than the other) and to bring them into alignment.
On or after October 15th, offers begin going out starting with the top of the staircase. Some schools will hold all offers until February while others will know that the people at or above a score of X will be at the top of the staircase at the end of the season and might as well get an offer now to give them a positive feeling about the school which would like them (top draft pick).
So, that's how it goes.
Admissions process?
I am just asking for curiosity's sake, not to change how I am approaching the cycle. Would any admissions committee members care to elaborate on the details of the process of application review? I think we all have a nebulous idea of the mysterious workings, but I am interested in the...
According to the wise LizzyM, schools or even individual reviewers usually will sort for things they like, and review applications in an arbitrary way that doesn’t appear sensical to us!
southerncar
Full Member
from cycle track, pitts sent nearly all II before 9/15. Pitts appears to review apps in order. if you didn't get one from pitts, then nearly zero chance according to the chart.Do you have a source for this? Just curious.
southerncar
Full Member
congrats! complete date?Hey y’all, I have received a surprise II from Weil. How long does it takes to receive the email to schedule the II after uploading passport-style picture and attestation form?
nice!!! mine took like a day or 2
Thank you for the info.