2023-2024 Weill Cornell

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wysdoc

Plain-spoken Texan
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
2023-2024 Weill Cornell Secondary Essay Prompts: (1525 characters each)

1. Please write a brief statement giving your reasons for applying to Weill Cornell Medical College.

2. Please describe a challenge you faced and how you addressed it.

3. If applicable, please tell us about any special circumstances related to COVID-19 that could help us understand you better.

4. If you are not attending college during the upcoming (2023-2024) academic year, what are your plans?

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback:
Weill Cornell Medical College Interview Feedback

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Email about secondary received 12:09 EST. Seems like it should be on the way shortly.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
All prompts max of 1525 characters:

1. Please write a brief statement giving your reasons for applying to Weill Cornell Medical College.

3. If applicable, please tell us about any special circumstances related to COVID-19 that could help us understand you better.

4. If you are not attending college during the upcoming (2023-2024) academic year, what are your plans?

does any english course satisfy the writing intesive requirment? or does it have to be explicity marked as writing intensive on our transcript?

does any english course satisfy the writing intesive requirment? or does it have to be explicity marked as writing intensive on our transcript?
The question states that generally if it satisfied English for your college it should be fine. None of my classes are labeled as “writing intensive” but I’m assuming they won’t question anything with a course name or description that clearly elucidates writing.

All prompts max of 1525 characters:

Thanks, @colistincanape
your username is unique!

I saw on Cornell's website that they do not accept AP credit for Bio/Chem, but if an applicant has used AP credit, they fulfill it with upper division science courses. Should I then assign my upper division science courses for the Bio/Chem prerequisite where it asks for in the secondary portal? Thanks!!

Do we only input enough courses to fulfill the prerequisites? Or should we be filling out/assigning all of our courses to the portal. Also, since there are two inputs for some prereqs, should we just say "I Am Not Matching Any Courses to this Prerequisite" for the ones that are repeated?

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Do we only input enough courses to fulfill the prerequisites? Or should we be filling out/assigning all of our courses to the portal. Also, since there are two inputs for some prereqs, should we just say "I Am Not Matching Any Courses to this Prerequisite" for the ones that are repeated?
I put in only enough to fulfill the prereqs. For the ones that are repeated, for example Gen Chem, I put Gen Chem I in the first entry and Gen Chem II in the second so I did not put "I am not matching any courses to this prerequisite"

Anyone having trouble clicking the links??

I'm guessing that if my school was on the quarter system, I just put two classes in one box and one in the other, right?

Ok never mind. Just read the instructions.

Last edited:
For the writing intensive pre-requisite courses, should I be listing an actual history class as one of them even though it doesn't mention anything about writing in the course name? I have an English class listed for the other one. I also have a writing seminar that I was considering using instead of the history class but it's classified as English on AMCAS so I wasn't sure if it would cover the "humanities or social sciences" writing course

Same question as above: none of my humanities and social science courses are writing intensive... do they still count?

For the writing intensive pre-requisite courses, should I be listing an actual history class as one of them even though it doesn't mention anything about writing in the course name? I have an English class listed for the other one. I also have a writing seminar that I was considering using instead of the history class but it's classified as English on AMCAS so I wasn't sure if it would cover the "humanities or social sciences" writing course
My university has a separate designation for writing-intensive humanities when you go to sign up for them, though it is not in the name of the class (not sure if yours is the same). I just selected a history course that had it. I think they'll probably email if they have any questions based on what it said on the box above.

For the optional covid-19 "special circumstances", any idea about what counts as special enough? I'm assuming that getting ECs canceled isn't, but would family death count?

For the optional covid-19 "special circumstances", any idea about what counts as special enough? I'm assuming that getting ECs canceled isn't, but would family death count?
I thought getting ECs cancelled would be enough, but idk.

For the question "If you are not attending college during the upcoming (2023-2024) academic year, what are your plans?" I've already graduated from undergrad, but I'm getting a master's as a gap year program, so I'm still technically in college. Should I talk about my master's program and research, or should I just leave it blank?

For the question "If you are not attending college during the upcoming (2023-2024) academic year, what are your plans?" I've already graduated from undergrad, but I'm getting a master's as a gap year program, so I'm still technically in college. Should I talk about my master's program and research, or should I just leave it blank?
'college' is typically associated with undergrad imo

Reactions: 3 users
Did anyone else mess up the prerequisite section? I misread what they wanted for the quarter system, but now I can't change it because I hit save... If you haven't done that part yet, I guess this is your warning to double check everything before saving! I'm going to call them tomorrow to see if I can reset that section, but if I can't, hopefully they'll cut me some slack!

Did anyone else mess up the prerequisite section? I misread what they wanted for the quarter system, but now I can't change it because I hit save... If you haven't done that part yet, I guess this is your warning to double check everything before saving! I'm going to call them tomorrow to see if I can reset that section, but if I can't, hopefully they'll cut me some slack!
To make sure, we write all courses on one section and leave the other blank if we are quarter system right? Directions are kind of confusing

To make sure, we write all courses on one section and leave the other blank if we are quarter system right? Directions are kind of confusing
I think so! I accidentally did it like the semester system though because I didn’t get the difference between the two until after I hit submit. 🤦‍♀️

we
I think so! I accidentally did it like the semester system though because I didn’t get the difference between the two until after I hit submit. 🤦‍♀️
Yeah i understand, idk it makes me feel weird. There is one blank when I do this lol

got two strikes already. During filling out the course works, I found the course number on the AMCAS packet was incorrect. Before submitting the packet, I thought I checked double. Is there any way to correct the course number on the AMCAS? Without the corrected AMCAS, I don't think I can complete the prerequisites... ugh...

It sounded pretty vague to me so I included a few different things including it being harder to do ECs tbh.

I messed up the prerequisite part! Very badly too. I emailed them yesterday but haven't heard back. Did you submit your essays despite that?

I couldn't imagine we're the only people either.

I messed up the prerequisite part! Very badly too. I emailed them yesterday but haven't heard back. Did you submit your essays despite that?

I couldn't imagine we're the only people either.
I didn’t submit the essays yet! I also emailed them (haven’t heard back) and am planning to call them tomorrow to see if there’s a way to fix it before I submit.

I didn’t submit the essays yet! I also emailed them (haven’t heard back) and am planning to call them tomorrow to see if there’s a way to fix it before I submit.
Ok, called them this morning and they can't reset that section once you mark it as "complete"-- I'm going to have to email Cornell if I want to make any changes/note that something should be changed.

Reactions: 2 users
For anyone else in a similar situation, I emailed the admissions office, and they said to include information about my master's gap year in this response.

Did anyone receive a confirmation email after submitting? I didn't get one and I'm wondering if I should be worried.

Did anyone receive a confirmation email after submitting? I didn't get one and I'm wondering if I should be worried.
It was delayed for me, I’d be patient.

Is anyone else having issues with getting their credit card accepted? My cards are working in other places but it keeps on getting declined in the portal.

Is anyone else having issues with getting their credit card accepted? My cards are working in other places but it keeps on getting declined in the portal.
What type of card is it? I know some of the secondary portals only take Visa or MasterCard. Are you using discover?

In the email confirming that my application is complete, they say "....We do not have rolling admissions and, if selected for interview, you may hear from us at any time during the interview period...." anyone know what this means? I was under the impression that all med schools had rolling admissions
This medical school waits until they have done all their interviews before extending admissions offers.
From their site:
Most acceptances are announced in March, after all interviews have been completed. At that time we also establish a wait list. As spring progresses, offers of admission are extended periodically to students on the wait list.

There are several other schools that do this too, or send out admissions offers on two dates only.
Make a note to yourself about this difference so you won't worry.

I've tried a MasterCard and an Amex
Have you been submitting a lot of secondaries recently? My card got declined the other day because my bank stopped it because I was making several $100 plus transactions in the span of a couple days.