2025-2026 U Miami (Miller)

Started by wysdoc
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Thanks for the reply. What should the email be? Something along the lines of "I believe this is a mistake, but I'll get you my secondary soon." ?


Also, it might just be secondary burnout, but is 5000 characters really expected? Seems ridiculous to expect that when other schools have 1000-3000 character ones.
Yeah it’s longer than duke’s which is insane
 
Thanks for the reply. What should the email be? Something along the lines of "I believe this is a mistake, but I'll get you my secondary soon." ?
Just say something like "While finishing my secondary, I received an II from your program and wanted to confirm as I have not submitted my secondary at this time."
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Has anyone interviewed yet? How did it go? Does Miami use MMI or traditional interviews?
I interviewed recently and it was really conversational. My interviewers were really supportive and receptive to all my answers. There's no MMI but there will be scenario/ethics questions.

However, prior to my interview I had spoken to two current students about their interview experience and BOTH told me that they had harsh interviewers. One literally told me to anticipate a stress interview, which did not align with my experience at all, so I think it just really depends on which interviewers you are randomly assigned.

But I got a really good vibe from interview day and it seems like an awesome school, so good luck!
 
For people applying to a dual degree, did they give you a lot of information on what to do for that on interview day? Do we get an additional interview for the program maybe?
 
1757996251113.png
Are those the only UMiami interview days ? They do 150 students interviews on those 5 days each ? Or are there more interview days than those five days?
 
Sorry, those dates are from last year. But 2025-26 cycle, the interview days will be similar, just 5 interview days in the whole cycle?
 
Sorry, those dates are from last year. But 2025-26 cycle, the interview days will be similar, just 5 interview days in the whole cycle?

Check last year's thread. I think they interviewed into March.

 
1758122253075.jpeg

This is the rubric UMiami used for final tabulation. In quality of institution, UMiami grad 30 pt. UF 15pt. Nova 1 pt. You can plug in your own institute appropriately. Interestingly, GPA and MCAT’s weight is not of as much import, as most think. The “holistic” top portion really tilts the scale.

But if the top holistic rubric are identical, then the lower GPA/ MCAT might tilt it back a little.

Don’t ask me where this slide come from.
 
View attachment 409488
This is the rubric UMiami used for final tabulation. In quality of institution, UMiami grad 30 pt. UF 15pt. Nova 1 pt. You can plug in your own institute appropriately. Interestingly, GPA and MCAT’s weight is not of as much import, as most think. The “holistic” top portion really tilts the scale.

But if the top holistic rubric are identical, then the lower GPA/ MCAT might tilt it back a little.

Don’t ask me where this slide come from.
Interesting! I'm curious how they come to value the quality of our academic institutions
 
Interesting! I'm curious how they come to value the quality of our academic institutions
When this circulated a few years ago, someone said it was by selectiviness of UG admissions based on some report. It's been a while, but I think it was Barrons Selectivity index
 
Last edited:
Not by the rubric of final tabulation. MCAT is a very small part of final tabulation.
It just happens that students who do well holistically on the rubrics also have very good MCAT score.

If you try to get in on the strength of your MCAT, good luck. It is very small portion of final rubric.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Not by the rubric of final tabulation. MCAT is a very small part of final tabulation.
It just happens that students who do well holistically on the rubrics also have very good MCAT score.

If you try to get in on the strength of your MCAT, good luck. It is very small portion of final rubric.

45/300 is over 10%, I’d say that’s pretty high.

I definitely think the higher MCAT average every year also indicates an increased emphasis on stats, even if those with high stats are also usually well-rounded. And that’s what Dr. Michael Stephen Gaines, pre-med advisor at UM undergrad said verbatim during one of his pre-health meetings
 
Hey does anyone know where to upload update letters? Their website says they accept update letters but I was unable to find a place to upload one on both their application dashboard and gateway.
 
Hey does anyone know where to upload update letters? Their website says they accept update letters but I was unable to find a place to upload one on both their application dashboard and gateway.
I received an email last week saying they “enabled” this option for me in gateway. So they may just be taking awhile to give access to submit update letters and considering if you interviewed already
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
On update letters this is what they had to say

“Please note that applicants will be invited to access the Document Upload section to submit any updates once they reach the interview stage and beyond. We encourage interviewed applicants to leverage this area judiciously and consider submitting only when the information adds relevant information not already included in your file.

Nevertheless, if you have significant updates you wish to share before reaching the interview stage, you may email them to our office for inclusion in your file. However, please note that due to the high volume of applications, we may not be able to provide individualized responses confirming receipt or processing of these updates.”
 
On update letters this is what they had to say

“Please note that applicants will be invited to access the Document Upload section to submit any updates once they reach the interview stage and beyond. We encourage interviewed applicants to leverage this area judiciously and consider submitting only when the information adds relevant information not already included in your file.

Nevertheless, if you have significant updates you wish to share before reaching the interview stage, you may email them to our office for inclusion in your file. However, please note that due to the high volume of applications, we may not be able to provide individualized responses confirming receipt or processing of these updates.”
No updates until you receive an II defeats the whole purpose of an update, but I expect nothing less than that from them tbh
 
No interview yet as an IS applicant !!! Am I done here ? Will sending an update help me ? I do have couple new things in peer review and a new grant I won …
From my interpretation they do not value update letters. Nothing in peer review is update worthy until published. Depending on the grant it could be something if it’s NIH level.
Either way they are not done sending IIs so no it is not over. Keep patient until you get a decision and try to not worry about what is not in your control.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad