Alabama College of Osteopathic Medicine (ACOM) Discussion Thread 2013 - 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Any current students have any news regarding the status of ACOMs title IV accreditation?

Members don't see this ad.

How was the interview? Were there surprise questions? Did you feel comfortable with the interviewers? Any suggestions would be much appreciated! Thanks!
The interview was supposed to be 30 minute open file with two faculty. Mine was max 15 minutes. There wasn't really any hard questions. I felt like my interview went terribly and my interviewers didn't like me at all. Especially cause my interview was so short and the responses from the interviewers were very hard to read. I wouldn't worry about doing too much to prepare for this interview. Some of the students had interviews that lasted like 40 minutes so I have no idea what they talked about.because there is no way I could have taken that long to answer my questions.

How was the interview? Were there surprise questions? Did you feel comfortable with the interviewers? Any suggestions would be much appreciated! Thanks!
Mine was great. It was maybe 25 minutes at the most and I had 2 great interviewers who were both faculty. No unfair questions and I can only recall having to respond to 1 or 2 ethical questions. The rest were standards on why you want to go DO and why this school, and then some questions based off your application. Granted, your interview could be much different but I will say that it was a great overall experience and did not last very long. Just know your app and secondary prompt replies and you probably don't need to think too hard on "why DO?" if you have been going through this process. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Mine was great. It was maybe 25 minutes at the most and I had 2 great interviewers who were both faculty. No unfair questions and I can only recall having to respond to 1 or 2 ethical questions. The rest were standards on why you want to go DO and why this school, and then some questions based off your application. Granted, your interview could be much different but I will say that it was a great overall experience and did not last very long. Just know your app and secondary prompt replies and you probably don't need to think too hard on "why DO?" if you have been going through this process. Good luck!
My interview went pretty much the exact same way (back in the fall), but as JD mentioned, it does vary depending on which faculty members you get. I think Dr. Reynolds mentioned to us they are supposed to keep it under 30 mins, but a couple of the interviewers are known for pushing it closer to 45mins+, simply because they love conversations. I definitely didn't feel like I was being "grilled", they really just want you to talk about yourself. From my interview experience (may be different for you/others), as long as you know what you wrote in your application and are able to honestly explain "Why DO/Why ACOM", you'll do fine. :)

Reactions: 1 users
My interview went pretty much the exact same way (back in the fall), but as JD mentioned, it does vary depending on which faculty members you get. I think Dr. Reynolds mentioned to us they are supposed to keep it under 30 mins, but a couple of the interviewers are known for pushing it closer to 45mins+, simply because they love conversations. I definitely didn't feel like I was being "grilled", they really just want you to talk about yourself. From my interview experience (may be different for you/others), as long as you know what you wrote in your application and are able to honestly explain "Why DO/Why ACOM", you'll do fine. :)

I was very comfortable during my interview, which was 1 prof and the Director of Admissions. It was very conversational and pleasant, a question on ethics, a good deal on my background (I'm non trad) and I think I beat them to the "why DO" questions.

Time was probably 40 mins.

After talking among my fellow interviewies later, I believe the content, time and comfort of the interview depends largely on who your interviewers are. I felt fortunate.

Reactions: 1 user

Thanks for all the comments everyone! I interview March 14th so I have plenty of prep time!

Does anyone have comments on the school versus other school they interviewed with? Facility quality, student life, campus accessibility. Just general likes and dislikes? I haven't heard many negatives about ACOM other than the fact that it isn't accredited yet.

Does anyone have comments on the school versus other school they interviewed with? Facility quality, student life, campus accessibility. Just general likes and dislikes? I haven't heard many negatives about ACOM other than the fact that it isn't accredited yet.

Facility quality: be prepared to be wowed. It's pretty nice
Student life: Had lunch with 2017 classmen. Common theme: Your life is medical school. You live in a medical bubble. I suppose that is every med school though. Given the nice facilities at ACOM, it's not a horrible thing.
Accessibility: lol...coming from Boston, it's so different... but it's right off a major giant circle of a highway that encircles the city (town?) of Dothan. You can find housing and shopping within a 10 min drive easily. The major hospital, SAMC, which opened ACOM is a 2 mile drive down the road.

Negatives? It's a more rural location compared to a lot of DO schools. The accreditation really isn't a threat as they are going down the path every school has and you as a student are guaranteed a spot in another DO school, policy from AACOMAS, I believe, should the unthinkable happen and they not become accredited.

I LIKED ACOM...and that includes a 1300 mile goodby from a cool city like Boston. Oh, and they have had their 3rd and 4th years in place with the SAMC with rotations since 2005. No scrambling to get that half of things right. Very attractive.

Reactions: 5 users
Facility quality: be prepared to be wowed. It's pretty nice
Student life: Had lunch with 2017 classmen. Common theme: Your life is medical school. You live in a medical bubble. I suppose that is every med school though. Given the nice facilities at ACOM, it's not a horrible thing.
Accessibility: lol...coming from Boston, it's so different... but it's right off a major giant circle of a highway that encircles the city (town?) of Dothan. You can find housing and shopping within a 10 min drive easily. The major hospital, SAMC, which opened ACOM is a 2 mile drive down the road.

Negatives? It's a more rural location compared to a lot of DO schools. The accreditation really isn't a threat as they are going down the path every school has and you as a student are guaranteed a spot in another DO school, policy from AACOMAS, I believe, should the unthinkable happen and they not become accredited.

I LIKED ACOM...and that includes a 1300 mile goodby from a cool city like Boston. Oh, and they have had their 3rd and 4th years in place with the SAMC with rotations since 2005. No scrambling to get that half of things right. Very attractive.
Yeah if this school wasn't the opposite side of the country as me I would definitely be going here. I really liked it at the interview. The school was soo nice and it just seemed like the future of the school was so positive.

Reactions: 2 users
Anybody interested in the D.O./MBA program offered here with Troy University? Anybody in it? Sounds like a pretty nice deal if you can get a business education to go along with the medical skills.

Hi guys. I'm new here. I was wondering if anyone here has been waitlisted and what there experiences are with it! Also is the waitlist numbered with priorities? Meaning that if you are the first to get waitlisted you are the first to get off of it! I've been waitlisted and am really praying that a spot opens up soon because I am in love with the school!!!

Hi guys. I'm new here. I was wondering if anyone here has been waitlisted and what there experiences are with it! Also is the waitlist numbered with priorities? Meaning that if you are the first to get waitlisted you are the first to get off of it! I've been waitlisted and am really praying that a spot opens up soon because I am in love with the school!!!
I was waitlisted and interviewed 1/10. I think they will wait until after April or May interviews to start plucking from the wait list and will do so until July. I could be wrong about when they'll start pulling from the wait list but we were told that roughly half of the people from the wait list last year eventually made it in. Dr Reynolds said to just said an "interest" email 1-2 times a month so they know that you are still wanting to attend their school.

Just a question regarding the waitlist. Does anyone know whether they give preference to students who interviewed earlier in the cycle (i.e. would someone who interviewed earlier be at the top vs someone who interviewed last month)? Was this info ever stated during the interview day ?

Members don't see this ad :)
They pulled 40+ from the W/L last year. Odds are good
Ya the only thing that scares me this year is that there seems to be more hype on sdn and it's not a new school so people may not give up there seats. Needless to say I am waiting here "patiently" to see what happens.

Note: patiently=sarcasm

Just a question regarding the waitlist. Does anyone know whether they give preference to students who interviewed earlier in the cycle (i.e. would someone who interviewed earlier be at the top vs someone who interviewed last month)? Was this info ever stated during the interview day ?

Last year toward the end of the interview cycle they were wait-listing the majority of the applicants, I assume so that they could interview the whole field of applicants first. Also, last year when you got put on the wait-list didn't seem to have any bearing on when you got pulled off. People who interviewed in November were accepted later than some of the people who interviewed in March.

Is there any buzz at ACOM about the new VCOM campus opening over in Auburn at Auburn University? I remember when rumors started last year about the possibility of VCOM opening a new branch campus in Alabama, the folks behind ACOM weren't very happy about it, were expressing concerns to AL state officials and worried it would dilute applicant pool quality.

As of now they haven't actually gotten any accreditation/approval from any of the governing bodies yet, and there's a chance that they won't according to what we've heard. Either way we've got our rotations on lock-down.

Anybody interested in the D.O./MBA program offered here with Troy University? Anybody in it? Sounds like a pretty nice deal if you can get a business education to go along with the medical skills.

I was interested in it until I found out that Troy's MBA program is not AACSB accredited. Instead, they're accredited by ACBSP which is the same accrediting body that accredits University of Phoenix, Devry University, Kaplan University...etc. If I did try to pursue the MBA, I was thinking of enrolling in an online, part-time program at another university that is AACSB accredited (probably at FSU or Auburn since those are the closest to Dothan) I mean, I'm not one to judge how well Troy train it's MBA graduates, but with ACBSP accreditation, I can only question it.

I also considered contacting ACOM about the possibility of working with another AACSB institution. Since they're still a new school I figured they would be open to developing programs that would be attractive to future students or at the very least, taking input from students in order to improve their institution...I know it would definitely improve the perception of ACOM (at least for me if I was applying again and definitely to anyone who hires in the business world) by having it affiliated with FSU or Auburn or any AACSB accredited MBA program rather than Troy's ACBSP program.

I was interested in it until I found out that Troy's MBA program is not AACSB accredited. Instead, they're accredited by ACBSP which is the same accrediting body that accredits University of Phoenix, Devry University, Kaplan University...etc. If I did try to pursue the MBA, I was thinking of enrolling in an online, part-time program at another university that is AACSB accredited (probably at FSU or Auburn since those are the closest to Dothan) I mean, I'm not one to judge how well Troy train it's MBA graduates, but with ACBSP accreditation, I can only question it.

I also considered contacting ACOM about the possibility of working with another AACSB institution. Since they're still a new school I figured they would be open to developing programs that would be attractive to future students or at the very least, taking input from students in order to improve their institution...I know it would definitely improve the perception of ACOM (at least for me if I was applying again and definitely to anyone who hires in the business world) by having it affiliated with FSU or Auburn or any AACSB accredited MBA program rather than Troy's ACBSP program.
Wow, I didn't even think of checking the accreditation before considering this program. I'm sure your response will prevent some future heartache over having spent additional time and money for a degree like that.

Wow, I didn't even think of checking the accreditation before considering this program. I'm sure your response will prevent some future heartache over having spent additional time and money for a degree like that.

Not that I'm defending Troy or anything, but I've been kind-of under the impression that it doesn't really matter where you get your MBA from since so many people have them now (unless it's like a top top tier program). When I was doing engineering it didn't matter where you had it, it was just kinda like checking a box. I'm not doing the program anyways because I'd rather dedicate all of my time to D.O. degree, though I might get one in the future if I feel like it will benefit me. As with Ogmora, I'll likely end up just getting it on-the-side via an online program at some point.

Agreed. For all I know, Troy could be better than some AACSB programs in respect to preparing you for the "business world", but I wouldn't want to spend my time, money and effort to find out.

To add to what walleyealx said, from what I've seen, it doesn't matter (to an extent) where you got your MBA from if you are looking for an education, i.e. knowledge in business practice. That being said, business world vs. medical world are polar opposites when it comes to school name reputation. This is why graduates from elite business schools like Wharton, Kellogg, Stern...etc. will almost always begin at higher level positions than a state school MBA grad. With that being the case, you can imagine the difference between name recognition/reputation of the average AACSB state school vs. the average ACBSP school. If the time ever came when I was using my MBA to gain employment rather than getting the education, I would much rather have a known AACSB program behind my MBA rather than an ACBSP one that groups me with all the other degree-mill programs out there. (not that Troy is a degree-mill MBA program, just that they're accredited by the same body that accredits the U of Phoenix's out there).

Also, the reason I didn't contact ACOM about this was because there are a number of faculty who attended Troy, either as undergrad or grad, and I didn't want to insult anyone by putting down the Troy program. So, keep that in mind if you decide to address the accreditation issue with administration.

It's too true that MBAs are too commonplace. I agree with ogmora on the elitism that exists and separates on an MBA level much more than a physician education.

The reason ACOM went with Troy may be as simple as Troy having a branch campus in Dothan. It's also quite possible Troy offered some incentives for ACOM to partner with them.

I'm with walleyealx, while it sounds interesting, I want to dedicate all my time to being a better physician. I'll worry about business acumen when I have free time, like in residency. :p

4 or 5 students from our class have chosen to enroll in the Medical-MBA at Troy (out of 162) It is a separate program just for them and a few of the faculty that are also enrolled. They seem to be happy with the education, but they are generally too busy to speak and just kinda grunt when I say hi to them.

Reactions: 3 users
The reason ACOM went with Troy may be as simple as Troy having a branch campus in Dothan. It's also quite possible Troy offered some incentives for ACOM to partner with them.

Yea, that's what I figured. I heard that Troy was going to be even more affiliated with ACOM (to the extent where it would have been Troy College of Osteopathic Medicine) but backed out due to funding or something, which is when SAMC took over. I'm sure ACOM wanted to maintain good relations with Troy and the Dothan community which is why they kept the dual degree program.

Hi anyone on here interviewing next Friday on the 21st?

Got the call from Dr. Reynolds! Wasn't expecting one till tomorrow at least! Interviewed Friday 2/7!!!

Reactions: 3 users
Do you mind sharing your stats!! Congratulations!!! I really hope I'll get off the waitlist soon so we can be classmates!!!
Got the call from Dr. Reynolds! Wasn't expecting one till tomorrow at least! Interviewed Friday 2/7!!!

I sense a disturbance in the force, Master Kenobi.
It's as if hundreds of ACOM board of trustee voices cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced.

I don't see where it says they are accredited anywhere in that article, only that they are seeking accreditation. Just stating what I've seen and heard.

Side note: You're literally only in this thread when you are trying to stir stuff up, don't you have anything better to do up in Indy?

Last edited:
Do you mind sharing your stats!! Congratulations!!! I really hope I'll get off the waitlist soon so we can be classmates!!!

Undergrad science GPA 2.9
Graduate GPA 4.0
MCAT 29 (took it 4 times!)

Graduated from undergrad over 5yrs ago, did a lot of research in between, had some papers and posters to show for it. Went to get my masters to prove I can be ready for med school and literally worked my butt off.

I honestly couldn't gauge my interview nor my interviewers, they spent a lot of time writing things down during my interview. I would have times where I would be answering them while they had their heads down writing stuff but I guess whatever I said was good enough!

Don't give up guys! Seriously, I struggled immensely in undergrad and my mcats, but I worked super hard to show I am ready and I think the interviewers saw that. If this is what you want to do in life, don't give up, keep working hard and show it to them! :)

Reactions: 2 users
I don't see where it says they are accredited anywhere in that article, only that they are seeking accreditation. Just stating what I've seen and heard.

Side note: You're literally only in this thread when you are trying to stir stuff up, don't you have anything better to do up in Indy?
Yeah, as long as ACOM maintains a monopoly on the AMEC clinical sites, I'm not too worried. It also doesn't hurt that the governor supposedly favors ACOM and isn't a fan of VCOM Auburn.

Lol. I 'm sorry. I am honestly not trying to stir anything. I was actually interested if there was any buzz about this at ACOM because I remember reading about ACOMs strong opposition to it. I don't think it will affect you guys much, I was just curious is all. I like ACOM. Point of the link was to show that I am sure VCOM will be getting pre accreditation status if they are breaking ground.

Side note: You really need to loosen up and relax. No need to get defensive. Exam week for you guys down in Dothan? If so, I understand. If not...eesh.

ACOM isn't accredited either...yet. Hell, WCUCOM isn't accredited yet and they just had 97% of their seniors match.

ACOM isn't accredited either...yet. Hell, WCUCOM isn't accredited yet and they just had 97% of their seniors match.

Correction--my cousin who is a current 4th year at WCUCOM said they had around 97% of their class match POST-SCRAMBLE ONLY in the AOA match. On match day they had only a little over half match AOA, but then the rest had to scramble. There is still a little more than 1/3 of the class who is doing ACGME match only, which they won't find out for a while.

Schools go through initial accreditation until they graduate their first class, at which point they are fully accredited. Before they have an incoming class, they are under provisional accreditation.

You are sure of their eventual accreditation because of your extensive experience working with the accreditation boards? You have some inside knowledge?

What about your post conveyed "curiosity"? You are trolling, its better to own it.

Lol. I 'm sorry. I am honestly not trying to stir anything. I was actually interested if there was any buzz about this at ACOM because I remember reading about ACOMs strong opposition to it. I don't think it will affect you guys much, I was just curious is all. I like ACOM. Point of the link was to show that I am sure VCOM will be getting pre accreditation status if they are breaking ground.

Side note: You really need to loosen up and relax. No need to get defensive. Exam week for you guys down in Dothan? If so, I understand. If not...eesh.

Yeah, as long as ACOM maintains a monopoly on the AMEC clinical sites, I'm not too worried. It also doesn't hurt that the governor supposedly favors ACOM and isn't a fan of VCOM Auburn.

It is going to be a challenge for a state of less than 5 million to support an additional medical school as ACOM will be filling upwards of 80% of the current AMEC sites. Combined with P-COM GA not far away, where exactly are the proposed students going to do clerkships? Scattered all across the country doesnt seem ideal.

You are sure of their eventual accreditation because of your extensive experience working with the accreditation boards? You have some inside knowledge?

What about your post conveyed "curiosity"? You are trolling, its better to own it.

Oh, I have no issue admitting when I am trolling. Problem here is that I am not currently trolling. Do ACOM students have a chip on their shoulder when others ask about their school or something? I just want it to be know that I was honestly interested in this and figured current students would be able to quench my curiosity better than anyone else. Apparently not. All I learned was that ACOM students are a bunch of Sensitive Sallys. (last sentence is semi trolling FYI)

Oh, I have no issue admitting when I am trolling. Problem here is that I am not currently trolling. Do ACOM students have a chip on their shoulder when others ask about their school or something? I just want it to be know that I was honestly interested in this and figured current students would be able to quench my curiosity better than anyone else. Apparently not. All I learned was that ACOM students are a bunch of Sensitive Sallys. (last sentence is semi trolling FYI)

As another ACOM student, we all should be studying for a neuro exam tomorrow, so all our emotions and energy should be focused on that, and not calling out anonymous med students and hopefuls on a public internet forum. Can't we all just get along? As far as accreditation goes, bottom-line is this: ACOM is bending-over backwards to make sure ACOM is on our diplomas and not some other school. As far as VCOM in Auburn goes...no one really knows what's going on with that or how it REALLY will affect Alabama med schools. EVERYTHING else is speculation.

Good luck for those hopefuls. This school is amazing. The student body is amazing (even if some are Sensitive Sallys), and everyday I remind myself how lucky and blessed I am to go here.

Sincerely,
Sensitive Sally

As another ACOM student, we all should be studying for a neuro exam tomorrow, so all our emotions and energy should be focused on that, and not calling out anonymous med students and hopefuls on a public internet forum. Can't we all just get along? As far as accreditation goes, bottom-line is this: ACOM is bending-over backwards to make sure ACOM is on our diplomas and not some other school. As far as VCOM in Auburn goes...no one really knows what's going on with that or how it REALLY will affect Alabama med schools. EVERYTHING else is speculation.

Good luck for those hopefuls. This school is amazing. The student body is amazing (even if some are Sensitive Sallys), and everyday I remind myself how lucky and blessed I am to go here.

Sincerely,
Sensitive Sally
Own it, Sally! Good luck on your neuro exam ;)

Does anyone know if the deposit is due midnight of the due date or by the end of their business day (5p)?

I'm still waiting on another school but if I don't hear back, I'm putting in my deposit at ACOM. I just wanted to wait till the last day until I do that and was wondering if anyone knew of the last possible time I can deposit online.

Thanks for any help! :)

Does anyone know if the deposit is due midnight of the due date or by the end of their business day (5p)?

I'm still waiting on another school but if I don't hear back, I'm putting in my deposit at ACOM. I just wanted to wait till the last day until I do that and was wondering if anyone knew of the last possible time I can deposit online.

Thanks for any help! :)

Your best bet is to ask. I think it would be 11:59 PM on the last day in order to account for anyone who works or has class until 6. Plus, it'd be hard for them to say no to $2000 if it was only a few hours late.

But just in case, it wouldn't hurt to call and find out.

Sorry if this has been asked before but are there opportunities to do research at ACOM?