Alabama College of Osteopathic Medicine (ACOM) Discussion Thread 2013 - 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thanks for the info. It is good to know upfront what to realistically expect.

No problem. It is likely that they will have very little spots when you interview, but throughout April and May spots will open up left and right. Also, when MD schools decide their final rosters by 5/15, they will begin pulling heavily from the wait list. Last year they took about 40 of the 90 wait listed! But just getting an interview is big! They are only interviewing about 450 and close to 200 of those get accepted!

Members don't see this ad.

Ok, thank you! I checked but it's not there so it probably just hasn't been sent yet.

My deposit is due in a couple of days and I still have not received a username and password for the portal. I am definitely calling tomorrow and finding out for sure. Anyone know if the usernames are something general, as in your last name or AACOMAS ID? If so, I can just use the "forgot password" option to acquire my password.

You need to email Linda Goodson and tell her you need it, it will get sent to you then. I actually emailed both Linda and Dr. Reynolds, but I think Linda was the one who initiated the information be sent to me

Members don't see this ad :)
My deposit is due in a couple of days and I still have not received a username and password for the portal. I am definitely calling tomorrow and finding out for sure. Anyone know if the usernames are something general, as in your last name or AACOMAS ID? If so, I can just use the "forgot password" option to acquire my password.

I had the same problem and just called them. They transferred me to the IT tech and he basically looked me up and gave me the username and password on the spot. It was done and handled in 10min! So I'm sure it'll work out for you too, just call them. :)

I found the emails, containing user name and pw, in my junk folder. It was in a weird format, from what I remember.

You need to email Linda Goodson and tell her you need it, it will get sent to you then. I actually emailed both Linda and Dr. Reynolds, but I think Linda was the one who initiated the information be sent to me

Thank you! I e-mailed Linda last night, and the IT department sent me the password today. It was hard parting with $2,000, but maybe I'll see it again if I decide on ACOM ;-)

I had the same problem and just called them. They transferred me to the IT tech and he basically looked me up and gave me the username and password on the spot. It was done and handled in 10min! So I'm sure it'll work out for you too, just call them. :)

Thanks! I ended up just e-mailing them and it was taken care of rather quickly. That is one thing about this school that stands out to me than most other schools I've interviewed at - they are extremely prompt in addressing concerns and in their communication process!

I found the emails, containing user name and pw, in my junk folder. It was in a weird format, from what I remember.

You're right, because I remember receiving a couple of "suspicious" e-mails that contained a username and password. The return e-mail was the same as my e-mail, so I think I panicked and changed my gmail password and deleted those e-mails...lol

I am currently ordering my official transcript to send in as part of the matriculation process and just wanted to double check that I had fulfilled all the prerequisite requirements. On the website it says 2 Organic Chemistry courses with labs. I have taken both Organic Chemistry I and II but at my university the lab was combined and taken separately as Organic Lab, using reactions we learned in both classes. My course work was complete during my application process and during my interview there was no mention of a missing requirement so I assumed this was acceptable for the requirements. If not, I also performed directed research in a lab that while listed as inorganic chemistry in my AACOMAS had many organic chemistry themes and information. A prerequisite to taking the lab was enrollment or completion of Organic Chemistry II (Organic Chemistry I must have been passed in order to register for Organic Chemistry II) so both Organic Chemistry classes were required for the completion of this lab. The lab was very extensive, including two, four-hour labs during the week and a one-hour class for supplemental information. Knowledge of both Organic Chemistry I and Organic Chemistry II were required for the successful completion of assignments, experiments, and quizzes with the Organic Lab class. In addition to this Organic Chemistry lab I also performed Directed Research (with lab) with distinct organic chemistry involved throughout my experiments and analysis. My course work was complete at the time of my application submission and interview with no indication that I had not fulfilled a requirement necessary for matriculation. I have emailed the registrar but does anyone have a situation similar to this one?

I am currently ordering my official transcript to send in as part of the matriculation process and just wanted to double check that I had fulfilled all the prerequisite requirements. On the website it says 2 Organic Chemistry courses with labs. I have taken both Organic Chemistry I and II but at my university the lab was combined and taken separately as Organic Lab, using reactions we learned in both classes. My course work was complete during my application process and during my interview there was no mention of a missing requirement so I assumed this was acceptable for the requirements. If not, I also performed directed research in a lab that while listed as inorganic chemistry in my AACOMAS had many organic chemistry themes and information. A prerequisite to taking the lab was enrollment or completion of Organic Chemistry II (Organic Chemistry I must have been passed in order to register for Organic Chemistry II) so both Organic Chemistry classes were required for the completion of this lab. The lab was very extensive, including two, four-hour labs during the week and a one-hour class for supplemental information. Knowledge of both Organic Chemistry I and Organic Chemistry II were required for the successful completion of assignments, experiments, and quizzes with the Organic Lab class. In addition to this Organic Chemistry lab I also performed Directed Research (with lab) with distinct organic chemistry involved throughout my experiments and analysis. My course work was complete at the time of my application submission and interview with no indication that I had not fulfilled a requirement necessary for matriculation. I have emailed the registrar but does anyone have a situation similar to this one?

That's a lot of print there. As best I can follow, you seem to have everything. Only ACOM can tell you if you have met their requirements, and it sounds like you did if for both Orgo 1 & 2 you:

Had a combined lab/lect with combined credits (i.e 5 credits for the course, cannot be separated)
or
Took BOTH lab and lecture with separate grades (i.e 3 credits for lect and 2 credits for lab for a total of 5 credits)

Just heard back from them and they told me I had indeed filled the requirements just was a little nervous there for a second haha

Reactions: 1 user
I'm giving up my seat here good luck to everyone!

Members don't see this ad :)
interviewed 3/7. accepted 3/14. definitely attending

Reactions: 4 users
I will be attending ACOM in the fall!!! Is anyone looking for a roommate???

I interview at ACOM on 3/28. Good luck to everyone interviewing!

Best of luck to all those interviewing this week and congrats to those recently accepted! For those of you who are still without an acceptance this cycle, don't lose hope. Just keep improving your app/stats and start preparing now to submit your app on day 1. Third time was the charm for me :)

Reactions: 2 users
Has anyone heard back from the 3/14 or 3/21 interview group?

I interviewed 3/7, got accepted via email 3/13 (yay!!!), and sent in a deposit this past week. It sounds like they vary in how quickly they get back to you, I was expecting to wait 2 weeks.

Edit: I'm looking for a roommate as well, looking for laid-back male non-smoker, etc etc!

Interviewed on 03/21. Waitlisted this morning. I really liked the school but I'm very happy to be going to LUCOM this fall!

Interviewed 3/14 and received the wait list email today. Unfortunately these results come with the territory of interviewing late. This was a great campus and environment but I still have more prospects! Good luck to everyone else!

I interviewed on 3/28. I am very nervous as I wait for a decision! I really like this school; they have a great campus and a great community!

Reactions: 1 users
I interviewed on 3/28. I am very nervous as I wait for a decision! I really like this school; they have a great campus and a great community!

I interviewed on the same day, and I'm really nervous too. The school seems like an amazing place to go. Hopefully we'll both get in! Good luck!

Anyone know how the apt complexes/ housing they provided in the email are? I'm from out of state so I'm gonna have to look for housing through pictures....

Anyone know how the apt complexes/ housing they provided in the email are? I'm from out of state so I'm gonna have to look for housing through pictures....
I've never been in one, but they are beautiful. They are also occupied so if you are attending the fall, you must find another place to live. Don't worry, Dothan has a plethora of nearby options :D

I'm just going by pictures too...I recommend finding a few you like and asking to be put on the waitlist (as long as they don't charge you for it) and then asking for more pictures beyond what they provide on their website, thats what I did at least. They're all occupied at the moment, but for some, notice's are due within the next two or three months, so if you get your name on the waitlist early you may be able to get one of your preferred places. Also, don't forget to look at the individual properties that are being handled by rental/real estate companies. You may be able to get your own house for less than (or as much as) an apartment.

On-campus seems to be booked up completely for next year. Though spots are sporadically opening up at that complex. If you are not on the wait-list now for on-campus it may be extremely difficult to get an apartment. Just so you know, I was at the first interview and I just heard last week about 1 opening.

As for off-campus options I went a couple of months ago to view some apartment complexes, the newest options that have the most students are Magnolia Preserve and Highland Hills. These seem to be very popular amongst the students at ACOM. Magnolia may have more rooms available since they have just completed another phase of buildings that have gone unused this past year. Both options provide a student discount typically somewhere between 5-10%.

Hopefully this helps you out. If you have questions on housing just let me know and I will try to give you some of my knowledge from my last visit to Dothan.

Thanks everyone! I'm probably going to end up with off campus housing which is ok with me anyways. I'm from CA so I feel like morning commute in Dothan cannot be as bad as la. Haha! I'll definitely look through Craigslist and some of the other apts mentioned above.

Thanks everyone! I'm probably going to end up with off campus housing which is ok with me anyways. I'm from CA so I feel like morning commute in Dothan cannot be as bad as la. Haha! I'll definitely look through Craigslist and some of the other apts mentioned above.

From what I calculated on a given weekend, to get from Highland Hills (one of the furthest complexes from campus) to ACOM it took me about 10 minutes. Throw in rush hour traffic, maybe 20 minutes.

Has anyone from the 3/28 interview group heard anything from ACOM yet? I'm anxious because it seems to be taking a while!

Has anyone from the 3/28 interview group heard anything from ACOM yet? I'm anxious because it seems to be taking a while!
They said it could take up to 2 weeks, so this Friday will be the latest we'll hear back.

Does anybody know how the wait list works at ACOM? Does it get reordered when they add new people? I am going to interview there and just wondered what the process was.

They told me the waitlist is not ranked and they just look at the all the files over and over again.

I was in the 3/28 interview and have not heard back yet.

Has anyone gotten notified about their admission decision?

Wait listed this morning. Good luck to the other 3/28 interviewees.

I am also on the wait-list. Best of luck to everyone else.