This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WheatLom

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I wanted to offer out some help to those who want it.

Currently I am bored and home for the summer. Therefore, to entertain myself and help others I decided to do an AMA on applying, interviews, traveling to interviews, December 1st, pre-December and post-December interviews, picking the right schools, and of course DAT!!!

Also, I like to say I might have advice for those on a wait list. I got off of right away, and got an offer in the second round. Could have been luck, or just the things I did such as a letter.

I found that w/o SDN I likely would not have been successful at learning all the material and how to go about getting accepted. So I wanted to try and reciprocate it back to the SDN people.

I have my breakdown (so you all can feel I am credible), I may re-add it to my signature.

***these are my thoughts, and my advice is not perfect, but worked for me, I try and generalize it as much as I can. If you feel you want to PM me go for it*****

there are others on this forum that have amazing advice, i welcome them to chime in as well. We can together help out everyone.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
What's your favorite kind of food?

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
If you could go back, what would you have done differently?

If you could go back, what would you have done differently?

I would have stopped stressing and just got my work done. I learned this my senior year. I realized why stress for work I know and will be fine getting done at the level I know I can get I done at.

I found just doing it and not worrying was awesome. I enjoyed my all around life much more.

I don't think I would do much differently, I felt I had an awesome balance, just unneeded stress, but that stress was gcause I cared and drove me to be the best I can, so I guess maybe it was a good thing.

Reactions: 1 user
Anything you specifically like or dislike about Marquette?

Anything you specifically like or dislike about Marquette?

The building is very very clean, and even the "old" part looks brand new. The sim clinic looked very up to date and there are monitors for everyone. The staff is very friendly. The students seem to enjoy the school and find it is a great environment. I felt the students and all the staff mixed well too. So it just felt comfy and not like I had to try to be all that. The interview day made me feel welcome, and launched Marquette from 3rd on my list to top choice by a long shot. All the clinics seemed to have natural light and if there isn't, very very well lit,

Dislikes: I am not too sure, maybe they don't have a lot of research going on, but they are new to it, so it should be fine. I thought the research they are doing was very cool and interesting. So just lack of diversity in research, not the type they do.

Honestly couldn't think of a dislike. I am sure I will find some, no school is perfect. But for me it seemed perfect enough, that I didn't attend my other interviews after I was accepted

Reactions: 1 users
How many schools did you interview at? How did you keep costs low when traveling? What state are you from?

Any interview advice? Any mistakes you made? What did the interview process look like for you?

How many schools did you interview at? How did you keep costs low when traveling? What state are you from?

Any interview advice? Any mistakes you made? What did the interview process look like for you?

1) interviewed at 3 of the 7 or 8 invites I got.
2) I drove, got an interview in my home city, my undergrad institution, and then Marquette which I drove and got a hotel. So it was not expensive. It would have been if I had to travel to my other interviews at schools farther away.
3) Rather not say.

4) Be yourself honestly. Smile and have fun. I would research the school to avoid being caught off guard with a question. Know your own application. Be ready to be thrown off guard, because it will happen. Just stay collected, there is no need to blurt an answer. If you need a few seconds to respond just saw, give me a second to think.

5) I maybe was too much myself, and I could tell certain interviewers were not happy about it. I took the interview seriously, but sometimes a light hearted joke would be met with straight stares. I feel maybe I did not have strong answers for a few things, but that is ok.

6) marquette was 4 10 minute interviews (speed dating is what they call it, and it goes by QUICK, not even time to be nervous. But their interview was relaxing to the point I got to be my self and show them what I was made of).

Overall, all of them were smooth, it can get boring after your second or third interview day Because the information begins to be the same mostly, besides the school specific stuff. I enjoyed it. I felt it was a great experience for interviews in other situations. Got to eat some decent food too lol.

Last edited:
How did you fill out EC/Shadowing/Work experience on the application? Did you list the things you did or was it more of what you learned from it?

When you ordered your transcripts did you have to order them right when the cycle starts? I tried to order my transcripts early but my universities transcript ordering module requires you to put in the transcript matching form?? or ID so I can't really order them until June 1st. Thanks!

When you ordered your transcripts did you have to order them right when the cycle starts? I tried to order my transcripts early but my universities transcript ordering module requires you to put in the transcript matching form?? or ID so I can't really order them until June 1st. Thanks!

i believe I sent my transcripts in late june/ early july, I was taking the DAT late so I didn't rush it.

How did you fill out EC/Shadowing/Work experience on the application? Did you list the things you did or was it more of what you learned from it?

ECs: I had a few clubs/organizations. I did intramural sports. I never went out of my way to do something just to please an admissions committee. I did what I enjoyed, I listed some hobbies on my academic update.

Shadowing: I worked as a dental assistant for 2 summers, 2-3 times a week. I actually had more hours that I put on my application.

Work: I had work with various businesses, and managed a store.

you get a chance to list things you did on AADSAS, and there is a little box with maybe 150chracters to describe it a little. I was creative in my writing to be as descriptive with the character limits. Interview day is really where you get to tell them what you learned. I found the closed file interviews were just not ideal as open file. Because open file you can piggy back off of the information the interviewer should know, but in closed you have to explain it all top to bottom.