Anyone apply to Howard

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrTennis

MS-IV
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anybody have any experience applying to Howard Uni? Just curious because it is my first choice.

Members don't see this ad.

DrTennis said:
Anybody have any experience applying to Howard Uni? Just curious because it is my first choice.

Me. no word from them yet.

What stage of the game are you on with them?

medhacker said:
Me. no word from them yet.

What stage of the game are you on with them?

I have submitted my app, but no word yet.

Members don't see this ad :)
DrTennis said:
I have submitted my app, but no word yet.

I think I emailed them about a week ago and no reply
:(

medhacker said:
I think I emailed them about a week ago and no reply
:(

I am not surprised. I emailed them days ago and not a response yet. I applied to their school two years ago and I do remeber that it took long for them to get paperworks together.

based on previous posts, they're notorious for having THE most disorganized office of all the med schools. good luck.
-mota

Dr.Tennis

Do they support over the phone inquiries?

and are they good at it?

medhacker said:
Dr.Tennis

Do they support over the phone inquiries?

and are they good at it?

The admissions office seems to be willing to answer questions over the phone. There is one item of interest. The secondary is available on their website (just click cancel when it asks you for a password and it will still pop up) and the page states not to submit the secondary until you choose Howard on the AMCAS primary. This instruction sounded vague to me so I called them up and they said that I should not submit the 2ndary until they tell me to via e-mail. But to answer your question, they openly answer questions over the phone.

DrTennis said:
The admissions office seems to be willing to answer questions over the phone. There is one item of interest. The secondary is available on their website (just click cancel when it asks you for a password and it will still pop up) and the page states not to submit the secondary until you choose Howard on the AMCAS primary. This instruction sounded vague to me so I called them up and they said that I should not submit the 2ndary until they tell me to via e-mail. But to answer your question, they openly answer questions over the phone.

Cool thanks.

Drtennis

Where is the second. on their website? thanks

medhacker said:
Drtennis

Where is the second. on their website? thanks

when you first get to the medical school page, scroll down to the bottom. There are links to like the "mini med school registration" then you will see the 2ndary link somewhere under it.

DrTennis said:
when you first get to the medical school page, scroll down to the bottom. There are links to like the "mini med school registration" then you will see the 2ndary link somewhere under it.

True!

Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
DrTennis said:
No Prob. Good luck with your apps :)

Likewise D, stay in touch

medhacker said:
Likewise D, stay in touch
I applied to Howard and they seem to be on top of things this year inspite of the bad press people give them on SDN. I haven't submitted my secondary and LOR yet, But I have been invited for an interview based on my AMCAS application.
Just keep your fingers crossed and you"ll hear from them soon.

ellgh1 said:
I applied to Howard and they seem to be on top of things this year inspite of the bad press people give them on SDN. I haven't submitted my secondary and LOR yet, But I have been invited for an interview based on my AMCAS application.

How were you notified of your interview?

ellgh1 said:

That's great, you'll have to post how your interview went. Good luck. Just out of curiosity if you don't mind me asking, were your stats around or above the schools GPA and MCAT average?

Hi

when is your interview

Do you have to be African American to attend Howard Med? What are your chances if you are not?

Yikes!

Howard does not waive its secondary fee, even with AMCAS fee waiver..
:eek:

medhacker said:
Yikes!

Howard does not waive its secondary fee, even with AMCAS fee waiver..
:eek:
Well regarding Howard waiving their secondary fee....i think theirs is the cheapest of any med school...$45 whereas Georgetown charges $115.
My interview is scheduled for 10/4...i'll let you guys know how it goes.
I received the invite via email. Yes, my stats were a little above their average according to the MSAR....not by much plus I actually indicated that I'm taking the August MCAT too....my previous score wasn't good for me. Anyways, im really happy for this opportunity...hopefully I'll get accepted.
goodluck to all of you.

medhacker said:
How were you notified of your interview?

I interviewed on Tuesday 9/20, along with five other students. I was notified by e-mail. The experience was a good one. Everyone was friendly and very approachable. I went there expecting a disorganzied mess but I was pleasantly surprised. There is a new director of admissions, and I believe there is a concerted effort to change the image. And yes, I did see people of other ethnic background.

Hi

DiegoT, what kind of questions were you asked? Did they tell you when the decision will be made on your application?

Miss155 said:
Hi

DiegoT, what kind of questions were you asked? Did they tell you when the decision will be made on your application?

where are you in the Howard game Miss155?