2022-2023 Howard

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wysdoc

Plain-spoken Texan
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please feel free to tag a pre-medical moderator once the secondary prompt has been posted.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview feedback:

Members don't see this ad.

Hey y’all! Just wanted to wish you luck in your application process this year!

-HUCM Rising M3

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
Congrats on starting clinical years, Howard is definitely my number one!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know if Howard is requiring Duet or Snapshot this cycle or is it just Casper?

"The HUCM Admissions office will receive notification when your application has been verified. Shortly after, all applicants will receive an email titled “FROM HOWARD U COLLEGE OF MEDICINE—VERIFICATION OF AMCAS APPLICATION" stating that the application is complete. The first Invitation to complete the HUCM secondary will be mailed on or about August 15.

The first emails will be sent on August 15 and emails will continue to be sent until January 1. You will receive an acknowledgement of receipt of your secondary via email."

I found this on Howard's FAQ section on their admissions website. Does anyone know if this is updated for this cycle or not? If so, should I just prewrite their secondaries over the next few weeks and then leave them until August?

"The HUCM Admissions office will receive notification when your application has been verified. Shortly after, all applicants will receive an email titled “FROM HOWARD U COLLEGE OF MEDICINE—VERIFICATION OF AMCAS APPLICATION" stating that the application is complete. The first Invitation to complete the HUCM secondary will be mailed on or about August 15.

The first emails will be sent on August 15 and emails will continue to be sent until January 1. You will receive an acknowledgement of receipt of your secondary via email."

I found this on Howard's FAQ section on their admissions website. Does anyone know if this is updated for this cycle or not? If so, should I just prewrite their secondaries over the next few weeks and then leave them until August?
It's probably close to right with slight margin of plus or minus one day but I would say go ahead and pre-write the secondaries from last year. I am pre-writing mine, I feel like if they change anything it'll be just one question change, or add a question on so its safe to pre-write.

Good luck!!!!!

Remember to take care of yourselves during this lengthy process.

We are rooting for you

- Rising M2

Reactions: 5 users
Good luck!!!!!

Remember to take care of yourselves during this lengthy process.

We are rooting for you

- Rising M2
Howard is my number one so I definitely will have some questions at some point if thats okay!

Reactions: 2 users

Those dates may not be updated bc I received the referenced email earlier today and the secondary dates were 6/30/22 to 1/14/23. Either way haven’t received a secondary yet lol

Anybody get a secondary?

Members don't see this ad :)
My app is still being processed can anyone post the prompts so I can start working on them?

The 2022-2023 secondary primarily involves answering questions about volunteer and employment history. The remainder are questions about whether you participated in HU Summer Programs, have connections or legacy to HUCM, and impact of COVID on your application.

1. Have you lived in communities which are medically underserved, or where the majority of the population is economically and/or educationally disadvantaged? (Please indicate, Yes or No and then explain/describe briefly in 250 words or less).

2. Have you worked (volunteer or paid employment) with medically underserved, economically disadvantaged, and/or educationally disadvantaged populations? (Please indicate, Yes or No and then explain/describe briefly in 250 words or less).

3. After residency, do you plan to practice medicine in an underserved or disadvantaged community? (Please indicate, Yes or No and then explain/describe briefly in 250 words or less).

Hope this helps!

Reactions: 3 users
The 2022-2023 secondary primarily involves answering questions about volunteer and employment history. The remainder are questions about whether you participated in HU Summer Programs, have connections or legacy to HUCM, and impact of COVID on your application.

1. Have you lived in communities which are medically underserved, or where the majority of the population is economically and/or educationally disadvantaged? (Please indicate, Yes or No and then explain/describe briefly in 250 words or less).

2. Have you worked (volunteer or paid employment) with medically underserved, economically disadvantaged, and/or educationally disadvantaged populations? (Please indicate, Yes or No and then explain/describe briefly in 250 words or less).

3. After residency, do you plan to practice medicine in an underserved or disadvantaged community? (Please indicate, Yes or No and then explain/describe briefly in 250 words or less).

Hope this helps!
Thank You!

Just submitted my secondary. Did anyone get an email confirmation from them?

Reactions: 1 users
For this prompt, "Have you lived in communities which are medically underserved, or where the majority of the population is economically and/or educationally disadvantaged? (Please indicate, Yes or No and then explain/describe briefly in 250 words or less)" if the answer is No do we need to explain?

For this prompt, "Have you lived in communities which are medically underserved, or where the majority of the population is economically and/or educationally disadvantaged? (Please indicate, Yes or No and then explain/describe briefly in 250 words or less)" if the answer is No do we need to explain?
I believe you have to yes. If the answer is no, maybe give a statement that your area is well off, but you would like to support those that are underserved (based on any experiences you had).

did anyone get confirmation email after submitting secondary?

has anyone gotten an email to submit a secondary app fee after submitting secondary even if they have FAP?

has anyone gotten an email to submit a secondary app fee after submitting secondary even if they have FAP?
They don't accept the FAP. You have to pay the fee regardless.

how do we pay? on the sec app it said fee wavier, but at the end I saw a charge but no way to pay :(
Idk i didn't submit yet. Contact admissions or double check your email. Previous years they sent out like 3 separate emails with one having the link, i believe

The essay prompts say "250 words or less" and the character count on the website is 3000 which is more like 500 words. I'm conflicted if I should add more. I had to chop my essays to fit into 250 words count but would be nice to use a bit of that extra space.

The essay prompts say "250 words or less" and the character count on the website is 3000 which is more like 500 words. I'm conflicted if I should add more. I had to chop my essays to fit into 250 words count but would be nice to use a bit of that extra space.
Always follow the 250 words or less requirement.

Initially I didn't and was able to submit with the waiver but I got an email the next day asking me to pay? Did this happen with you?
I had FAP and it looked like the supplemental application was waived after I submitted. But if you look at the top of the page, it says to pay for the application. So yes you do have to pay even if you have fap. Also I didn’t get a confirmation email from them

I submitted my secondary last night and didn't have to pay because of FAP... does anyone know how long it takes to get the email with payment info?

I submitted my secondary last night and didn't have to pay because of FAP... does anyone know how long it takes to get the email with payment info?
it took them 2 days for me before they asked for their money lol

I find it extremely odd that a school that proclaims they want underserved and disadvantaged students is one of the only schools in the United States that does not accept FAP. What? They need money that bad bro??! This is actually disgusting ngl I don't even know if I want to submit for them anymore.

Reactions: 6 users
The secondary receipt email says II do not go out until September. Quoting it from the email: "Invitations will be issued between September until early April. Most interviews will be completed by the end of April."

Reactions: 4 users
I find it extremely odd that a school that proclaims they want underserved and disadvantaged students is one of the only schools in the United States that does not accept FAP. What? They need money that bad bro??! This is actually disgusting ngl I don't even know if I want to submit for them anymore.
I'm betting the percentage of their applicants that qualify for FAP is significantly higher than most other schools and money is traditionally tight there.

Reactions: 3 users
I'm betting the percentage of their applicants that qualify for FAP is significantly higher than most other schools and money is traditionally tight there.
You're on the money there.

Reactions: 1 users
how long did it take you guys to receive a receipt for the secondary? I paid the fee and submitted an hour ago. Still don't see any receipt or email

I submitted three days ago, and I still have not received a receipt. Has this happened to anyone else?

I submitted three days ago, and I still have not received a receipt. Has this happened to anyone else?
It took about 3-4 days for me to get the email!