2023-2024 Howard

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Did the say this in one of the first Friday sessions?
Yes they interview till april so one more batch this week and asked one of my howard med friends

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
Agreed. The supplemental form is pretty straightforward and the interview was low key. I found it less stressful than the MMI format at other schools
I agree. I interviewed in Jan. The process is calm. The supplemental for is like a mini secondary that asks about yourself. It’s pretty straightforward. They just want to learn about your background. As for interview, it will be with one faculty and you can sorta tell they just want to get to know you and not shred you to pieces. I had a big red flag in my application(MCAT) but it was never brought up until I did.

Reactions: 1 user
Anyone know how Howard is with scholarships? Any full-tuition scholarships go out in years past or have any of y'all heard word of scholarships? I know aid is delayed bc of FAFSA's timeline but some schools have released a bit of aid already
I’m a current applicant and I did get some academic based scholarship information in February. I haven’t heard anything related to my FAFSA information..

Members don't see this ad :)
I’m a current applicant and I did get some academic based scholarship information in February. I haven’t heard anything related to my FAFSA information..
When you say information, was this them giving you a scholarship? Or inviting you to apply? If you could share the premise of it, that’d be helpful

OOS II. I haven't had an MD II since October, so I was really shocked !! I also sent an update at the beginning of March!

Reactions: 7 users
Are there any resources/insight about Howard's match list in more recent years (2022-2024)? I'm currently interested in a more competitive specialty/fellowship, and am trying to decide how to weigh it against other schools.

Reactions: 1 users
OOS II a few hours ago… I’m declining the interview so I hope one of you amazing people gets it!

• Care
Reactions: 10 users
I never saw my secondary so didn't apply till december... has anyone else that applied later heard anything?

When you say information, was this them giving you a scholarship? Or inviting you to apply? If you could share the premise of it, that’d be helpful
Another applicant here. Received an email in Feb stating that I will receive X amount in scholarship money for the upcoming year.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi! I'm applying for the 2024-2025 cycle and I occasionally stalk this forum. I just wanted to see if anyone had any advice for me for applying to Howard this cycle. Howard is one of my top 2 choices and I would really prefer to stay in the DMV area as I am from there originally. Anything you would have done differently looking back on the application cycle? I am also a "low stat" applicant so if anyone was accepted with lower stats I would appreciate hear how the application cycle went for you. Thanks and congratulations to everyone accepted and good luck to those still waiting to hear back!

Hi! I'm applying for the 2024-2025 cycle and I occasionally stalk this forum. I just wanted to see if anyone had any advice for me for applying to Howard this cycle. Howard is one of my top 2 choices and I would really prefer to stay in the DMV area as I am from there originally. Anything you would have done differently looking back on the application cycle? I am also a "low stat" applicant so if anyone was accepted with lower stats I would appreciate hear how the application cycle went for you. Thanks and congratulations to everyone accepted and good luck to those still waiting to hear back!
attend First Fridays

Reactions: 3 users
Are there any resources/insight about Howard's match list in more recent years (2022-2024)? I'm currently interested in a more competitive specialty/fellowship, and am trying to decide how to weigh it against other schools.
In case anyone was curious about 2022 match results, since it's not posted on the website last time I checked, I went to second look today

2022 had a 99% match rate, most popular of that class was family medicine with 13 matches, anesthesia with 12 matches, I think peds was also 12. (I might have mixed up the numbers for anesthesia and family med though). I think internal medicine was also popular

I think(?) There was 1 plastic match, 2 urology matches, I saw an ENT on the slide too but forgot the number of students it said

If anyone else also went today and i got the numbers wrong please let me know. I dont remember exact numbers for everything because the slide wasn't up that long, so please forgive me
The above quote was some stuff I noted about 2022 match list when I went to second look last year. ( I didn't take pictures)

The pictures I'm attaching are the 2023 match results they gave us during orientation in July.

idk when they'll give us the 2024 match list because the website only shows 2021's results and it's never updated. Not sure if anyone iny class is brave enough to email the dean to ask for the list. But they should tell you what the 2024 Match results are like during Class of 2028's orientation.

Attachments

• PXL_20230712_175550161.MP~2.jpg
    PXL_20230712_175550161.MP~2.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 154
  • PXL_20230712_175632600~2.jpg
    PXL_20230712_175632600~2.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 151
The above quote was some stuff I noted about 2022 match list when I went to second look last year. ( I didn't take pictures)

The pictures I'm attaching are the 2023 match results they gave us during orientation in July.

idk when they'll give us the 2024 match list because the website only shows 2021's results and it's never updated. Not sure if anyone iny class is brave enough to email the dean to ask for the list. But they should tell you what the 2024 Match results are like during Class of 2028's orientation.
Stacked. What is it that gets students these matches? Only thing I can think of is clinical experience in DC, but I think there would be more to explain it

attend First Fridays
i would disagree here - i know 3-4 people (and me) who attended first friday and never got an II. attending ff is fun -but i don't think it makes any difference

Reactions: 5 users
Stacked. What is it that gets students these matches? Only thing I can think of is clinical experience in DC, but I think there would be more to explain it
If I had to guess, like you said a lot of clinical opportunities in DC, networking through the AMA, and ease of access to the NIH.

i would disagree here - i know 3-4 people (and me) who attended first friday and never got an II. attending ff is fun -but i don't think it makes any difference

Yep. I feel like it only helps to genuinely gain info you didn’t already know

Reactions: 2 users
I went to a couple of post match panels. Basically they all say the same thing. Your step scores are important but they don't define you, research is good but it's not the be all end all. Share your hobbies so they can really get to know you. The MOST important thing is connections and networking and making your letters are from people who know you well and can truly make you sound good to programs.

Howard does a residency fair every year and they say it's organized really well (I couldn't make it this year) where representatives from big programs all over the country come that you can network in.

If you're involved in SNMA (which all Howard students have free membership for), try and go to AMEC to network.

Research opportunities at Howard itself aren't as plentiful as other schools, but they are there. There's an internal program for students to apply to work with professors within the university. My classmates will find out next week. Also as an hbcu we (and Morehouse, Meharry, & Charles R. drew) are partnered with Stanford for a summer research internship made for underrepresented students called the Stanford-REACH-HBMC program. NIH is close by too, anyone from any school can apply to NIH summer internships.

Um I still don't know about the overall 2024 match list but we only matched:
  • 2 anesthesia this year @ UT-houston and yale
  • I think 2 Ophthalmology @ howard hospital and UC Davis
  • 3 Ortho matches @ Tulane, LSU - Shreveport, and Pitt.
  • I believe every single person who applied derm got it, idk if it's true yet. There was 4-5 of them and I know for sure 1 person got it at Howard hospital.
  • Peds we had 7 matches- 2 at children's national (here in DC, HU students rotate there for peds), 2 at Stanford, 1 at harvard, 1 at UCSF, 1 at UAB
  • IM we have a lot as always- 16, 1 student got into Mass Gen, another at UPenn.
  • 8 ob/gyn matches- kaiser Permanente, Emory, USC, Walter Reed, Anne Arundel medical center, UTSW, GW University, UCF
  • At least 2 pathology matches- Walter Reed and Upenn
  • 1 PMR that I know of at Baylor
  • Idk how many people got into gen surg, but one student got in at Beth Israel
  • edited to add: 1 student got a neurosurgery match at Brown. idk if theres any more neuro surgery matches

I haven't heard much info on matches in family med, ENT, plastics, other specific surgery specialties. a lot of our interest groups have IG pages where they post this but not all specialty interest groups have one or are all up to date.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Um I still don't know about the overall 2024 match list but we only matched:
  • 2 anesthesia this year @ UT-houston and yale
  • I think 2 Ophthalmology @ howard hospital and UC Davis
  • 3 Ortho matches @ Tulane, LSU - Shreveport, and Pitt.
  • I believe every single person who applied derm got it, idk if it's true yet. There was 4-5 of them and I know for sure 1 person got it at Howard hospital.
  • Peds we had 7 matches- 2 at children's national (here in DC, HU students rotate there for peds), 2 at Stanford, 1 at harvard, 1 at UCSF, 1 at UAB
  • IM we have a lot as always- 16, 1 student got into Mass Gen, another at UPenn.
  • 8 ob/gyn matches- kaiser Permanente, Emory, USC, Walter Reed, Anne Arundel medical center, UTSW, GW University, UCF
  • At least 2 pathology matches- Walter Reed and Upenn
  • 1 PMR that I know of at Baylor
  • Idk how many people got into gen surg, but one student got in at Beth Israel
  • edited to add: 1 student got a neurosurgery match at Brown. idk if theres any more neuro surgery matches

I haven't heard much info on matches in family med, ENT, plastics, other specific surgery specialties. a lot of our interest groups have IG pages where they post this but not all specialty interest groups have one or are all up to date.
Wow that’s crazy impressive. Esp the Derm matches. Do you know if anesthesia was only 2 this year due to lack of interest among this graduating class or increased competitiveness?

I went to a couple of post match panels. Basically they all say the same thing. Your step scores are important but they don't define you, research is good but it's not the be all end all. Share your hobbies so they can really get to know you. The MOST important thing is connections and networking and making your letters are from people who know you well and can truly make you sound good to programs.

Howard does a residency fair every year and they say it's organized really well (I couldn't make it this year) where representatives from big programs all over the country come that you can network in.

If you're involved in SNMA (which all Howard students have free membership for), try and go to AMEC to network.

Research opportunities at Howard itself aren't as plentiful as other schools, but they are there. There's an internal program for students to apply to work with professors within the university. My classmates will find out next week. Also as an hbcu we (and Morehouse, Meharry, & Charles R. drew) are partnered with Stanford for a summer research internship made for underrepresented students called the Stanford-REACH-HBMC program. NIH is close by too, anyone from any school can apply to NIH summer internships.
When is their residency fair hosted?

Wow that’s crazy impressive. Esp the Derm matches. Do you know if anesthesia was only 2 this year due to lack of interest among this graduating class or increased competitiveness?
I don't know yet, I'm wondering too
When is their residency fair hosted?
It was March 9th this year. I assume it's going to be around the same time every year

haven't heard back from the beginning, assuming that an interview is not gonna happen and it's a rejection at this point :/

Has anyone who got an interview a while back (like around dec) not heard anything back?

Not sure, do they do that? im asking for a friend
After your interview, they send an email with the date of when you should hear back. They typically send decisions no more than 2 weeks after that date.