2022-2023 Howard

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
facebook group slowly going up 🤧

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Just a reminder Howard’s CTE isn’t until June 12th. So people could be holding A’s. There may still be movement to come

Reactions: 6 users
FB group at 130

1684882339290.png

• Dislike
Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Tell me why the second look day email damn near gave me a heart attack 😭 see y’all Friday tho ✌️

Reactions: 6 users
I called and talked to Ms Williams-Fowlkes a few days before CTE and she said the people who haven’t gotten rejections they aren’t letting go of in the case they’d be invited for an interview depending on movement. She said they’ve already sent waves of rejections. She was really kind and even asked for my AMCAS ID to verify that I was still being considered. :’)
I called today for any updates and Ms Jones picked up, and she’s very lovely as well. She said that there is still a lot of movement and a considerable amount of people have dropped their spots, but if you haven’t been rejected yet that you’re still in the running in case they have a need to interview. She couldn’t really answer yes or no to it but emphasized that it just depends on the people holding multiple acceptances right now.

Realistically there’s a really small chance of that happening at all! Maybe I’m silly for holding out hope. I’m from the area so HU has always has a special place in my heart since I was a youngin! It happened in previous cycle so it isn’t impossible. 🤞🏽

Hopefully this info helps any WL people as well :)

Reactions: 10 users
I called and talked to Ms Williams-Fowlkes a few days before CTE and she said the people who haven’t gotten rejections they aren’t letting go of in the case they’d be invited for an interview depending on movement. She said they’ve already sent waves of rejections. She was really kind and even asked for my AMCAS ID to verify that I was still being considered. :’)
I called today for any updates and Ms Jones picked up, and she’s very lovely as well. She said that there is still a lot of movement and a considerable amount of people have dropped their spots, but if you haven’t been rejected yet that you’re still in the running in case they have a need to interview. She couldn’t really answer yes or no to it but emphasized that it just depends on the people holding multiple acceptances right now.

Realistically there’s a really small chance of that happening at all! Maybe I’m silly for holding out hope. I’m from the area so HU has always has a special place in my heart since I was a youngin! It happened in previous cycle so it isn’t impossible. 🤞🏽

thank you so much for this 🫶🏽 this makes me feel a lot better

• Care
Reactions: 3 users
I also asked Ms Williams Fowlkes if committing to enroll to another school would disqualify any consideration for an interview if they were to have any, and she said it wouldn’t. In case that information may help anyone

Reactions: 1 users

you’re a gem for this! Thank you!

• Care
I got the A today! Interviewed 3/29 WL 4/22 I’m going to be a doctor 🥹

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 18 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Did anyone ask how many people they got left on their WL? Or anything similar to that?

I was planning to ask yesterday at the second look day but I got sick and couldn’t attend.

Did anyone ask how many people they got left on their WL? Or anything similar to that?

I was planning to ask yesterday at the second look day but I got sick and couldn’t attend.
i did not ask but i do know that they had only six people that did not get off the waitlist last year if that helps

i did not ask but i do know that they had only six people that did not get off the waitlist last year if that helps
Thanks but idk how much that’ll help us bc this years been different unfortunately

Thanks but idk how much that’ll help us bc this years been different unfortunately
yeah i have no idea how this is gonna go. i might be wrong, but it felt like 90% of the people at second look were waitlisted

Howard is a pretty low ranked medical school(I put no stock into the rankings just stating facts) so many people apply as a safety. They get in and hold acceptances for a long time and as a result the school has a good portion of applicants who don’t actually have it ranked as their first choice. Therefore Howard pulls a lot of students from their waitlist and almost exhausts the waitlist every year. This year could be different but if we follow the past years it’s likely most of the waitlist will get pulled off. Now it probably won’t be in a timely manner but Howard has pulled people until June 30th and this is a consistent trend over the last decade. I’m not giving false hope or lying but the reality of the situation Howard’s position is very different than most medical schools and they have a very fluid situation

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
Howard is a pretty low ranked medical school(I put no stock into the rankings just stating facts) so many people apply as a safety. They get in and hold acceptances for a long time and as a result the school has a good portion of applicants who don’t actually have it ranked as their first choice. Therefore Howard pulls a lot of students from their waitlist and almost exhausts the waitlist every year. This year could be different but if we follow the past years it’s likely most of the waitlist will get pulled off. Now it probably won’t be in a timely manner but Howard has pulled people until June 30th and this is a consistent trend over the last decade. I’m not giving false hope or lying but the reality of the situation Howard’s position is very different than most medical schools and they have a very fluid situation
Completely agree, only reason I stopped being so optimistic after the first week of May was because they didn’t have a massive wave of As to the WL students.

Also, bc I haven’t gotten in yet I have some bias against the WL movement occurring as it has in the past, which sucks for me. I think a lot of us who are in the same position feel the same way.

Just throwing it out there, but f the design of the cycle that allows schools to drag it out until the very last day. The whole career/pathway is stressful as it is and this just adds onto it.

Reactions: 5 users
Completely agree, only reason I stopped being so optimistic after the first week of May was because they didn’t have a massive wave of As to the WL students.

Also, bc I haven’t gotten in yet I have some bias against the WL movement occurring as it has in the past, which sucks for me. I think a lot of us who are in the same position feel the same way.

Just throwing it out there, but f the design of the cycle that allows schools to drag it out until the very last day. The whole career/pathway is stressful as it is and this just adds onto it.
Agree. The cycle is designed horribly and medical students and applicants need to be treated better.

Does anyone know when the white coat ceremony is?

Hey, I was recently accepted to a graduate program at howard and I was wondering if the upperclassmen or even any of the incoming MD students made a list of apartments around the DC area that isn't too pricey for students. If so, can some on PM me please?

giphy.gif

Day 34 of waiting… i really thought may 1st would be the day

Reactions: 4 users

Would it be worth sending a letter of update and intent at this point for those pre-II?

Would it be worth sending a letter of update and intent at this point for those pre-II?
I mean no one could answer that except you, if you try! But I do know there are a good amount of people post II still on the WL. And I don’t believe howard would conduct additional interviews if they have not exhausted their WL

Last edited:
Howard finished interviews on April 15 and the lady told me there’s a 1% chance they even interview additional people. There going to use the whole waitlist first, but she did say the only reason people are still on it is because they can’t deny everyone. If they deny everyone let’s say an emergency happens they won’t have backup to pull students from.

Last edited:
Withdrew my A a few days ago. Hope it goes to one of you all. Best of luck.

• Care
any more WL movement? I’m trying to hold out hope…

Just got my R! Bittersweet but fine since I’m matriculating elsewhere. What a journey.

Reactions: 2 users
Got my last and final rejection for the 22-23 cycle from here. Matriculating in two weeks to my school. Howard's rejection letter was very nice! I'm sure they say this to everyone but it's nice to hear a medical school tell me I am a competitive applicant. Happy to put the final nail in the coffin and move on to my MD! It's been a wild ride and I just want to wish the best of luck to everyone who is entering their programs or heading for a reapplication.