You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
APPIC Internship Match 2019-20-- Phase II
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
I’ve never used this site before, but the stress of phase II finally broke me and I started looking for forums. I hope you are all doing well in this difficult time!
I figured I would share who I have heard from so far. Yesterday I received a personalized email from D. B. Hersh inviting me to interview and a call from Green Chimneys inviting me to interview. Both are in-person, which adds a whole other level of stress to this whole crazy thing.
I haven’t heard from anyone else yet, fingers crossed I will soon. I’ve been checking my email constantly!!
It seems crazy to me that places would require in-person interviews??
This is the first I've ever heard of in-person interviews in Phase II.I’ve never used this site before, but the stress of phase II finally broke me and I started looking for forums. I hope you are all doing well in this difficult time!
I figured I would share who I have heard from so far. Yesterday I received a personalized email from D. B. Hersh inviting me to interview and a call from Green Chimneys inviting me to interview. Both are in-person, which adds a whole other level of stress to this whole crazy thing.
I haven’t heard from anyone else yet, fingers crossed I will soon. I’ve been checking my email constantly!!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
There is a site I interviewed at in Phase I that I did not rank and now is in Phase II. They are requiring in-person interviews for Phase II. Our TD said that this can sometimes say a lot about a site--I don't want to give people unnecessary anxiety but also am not sure how to feel about the in-person interviews for such a short time frame!
I received an invitation to interview today from KKI-PDD track.
Do y’all think that sites will ask us why we think we didn’t match in Phase I? What should be prepared to say in that scenario?
Per last year's thread on Phase II, some sites did ask applicants why they thought they didn't match in Phase I so I would definitely prepare a response just in case!
WorkingMan
Full Member
I know!! Green Chimneys told me they couldn't require it, but basically implied it would be extremely beneficial for me and them. I felt that if I said no I would be at a major disadvantage, and I can't afford to hurt my chances at this point!
This seems like an example of how sites sometimes do not play by the spirit of the rules. This is very discouraging to hear.
I know!! Green Chimneys told me they couldn't require it, but basically implied it would be extremely beneficial for me and them. I felt that if I said no I would be at a major disadvantage, and I can't afford to hurt my chances at this point!
*snark incoming* they should probably spend their time actually getting accredited rather than worrying about phase II interviews needing to be in-person *end snark*
I really dislike the no notice if they aren't going to interview you. Ive had radio silence, and it is just rough. Even just hearing no would be helpful now, ive checked several times to make sure I actually submitted the applications! This is exhausting and disheartening. This is how i feel except applying to internship not dating hahaha
WorkingMan
Full Member
I really dislike the no notice if they aren't going to interview you. Ive had radio silence, and it is just rough. Even just hearing no would be helpful now, ive checked several times to make sure I actually submitted the applications! This is exhausting and disheartening. This is how i feel except applying to internship not dating hahaha
Radio silence here, too. Don't worry if you haven't heard anything back just yet.
ScottishPsyD
Full Member
The waiting game is tortuous! When do you guys think we will start to hear from the majority of sites?
There is a site I interviewed at in Phase I that I did not rank and now is in Phase II. They are requiring in-person interviews for Phase II. Our TD said that this can sometimes say a lot about a site--I don't want to give people unnecessary anxiety but also am not sure how to feel about the in-person interviews for such a short time frame!
I agree. I also think it reflects negatively on the site as they are not mindful of the cost and stress that we would be impacted by.
The waiting game is tortuous! When do you guys think we will start to hear from the majority of sites?
I was surprised to hear from sites today! However, I believe we should hear something by next Wednesday as we all don't have a lot of time to schedule and complete interviews!
ScottishPsyD
Full Member
I agree. I also think it reflects negatively on the site as they are not mindful of the cost and stress that we would be impacted by.
I was surprised to hear from sites today! However, I believe we should hear something by next Wednesday as we all don't have a lot of time to schedule and complete interviews!
Having a day in mind is helpful for me, even if it is just an unofficial day that we have agreed upon!
I saw on this thread that at least 1 person had heard from Kieger ... I applied there, so I am at this point assuming that they are not interested in me!
To everyone here: Don't panic and rank non-APA sites! It will permanently restrict your career options. Just keep that in mind, even with all the stress right now.I’m hoping we will hear soon, but I stalked old phase II forums (for an amount of time that I am not proud of) and it seems like people were hearing back from places right up until the buzzer. I’m going crazy over here! Can’t seem to focus on anything else!
Junebug1234
Full Member
Does anyone here have an idea or actually know if it is still possible to submit applications to sites that technically haven't closed their portal on the APPI? I know some sites mentioned they still have openings as they have officially extended the deadline, but I'm wondering about the other sites that haven't stated they are doing this. I just thinking about if I should give myself a few more options..
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Same, I applied and havent heard and am counting myself out. Of all things. Its been two weeks of bleh.Having a day in mind is helpful for me, even if it is just an unofficial day that we have agreed upon!
I saw on this thread that at least 1 person had heard from Kieger ... I applied there, so I am at this point assuming that they are not interested in me!
Same, I applied and havent heard and am counting myself out. Of all things. Its been two weeks of bleh.
I am more inclined to believe that most sites are going to do rolling invites this time around. Maybe I heard back yesterday because I submitted on Monday and they just read it first?
Don’t count yourself out yet! It ain’t over till it’s over!
I would e-mail the training director and ask if they would be willing to review your application rather than just submit. Some sites may be understanding due to the short time frame allowed.Does anyone here have an idea or actually know if it is still possible to submit applications to sites that technically haven't closed their portal on the APPI? I know some sites mentioned they still have openings as they have officially extended the deadline, but I'm wondering about the other sites that haven't stated they are doing this. I just thinking about if I should give myself a few more options..
Junebug1234
Full Member
This is a great suggestion, I will do this. Thank you!I would e-mail the training director and ask if they would be willing to review your application rather than just submit. Some sites may be understanding due to the short time frame allowed.
Hi everyone. Stressful times right now, whew! Ive only heard from Eastern Kansas VA but its an invite to meet with their interns today or next friday. The TD also informed us that we will hear by next thursday if we will be interviewed. It was a very kind email.
ScottishPsyD
Full Member
For the sites that posted on the "late breaking news" that they were extending their application deadline ... do we think that means they didn't get the number of applications they would like (or were expecting) by the phase 2 deadline (Thursday 2/28 @ 11am)? I did submit a few additional applications this morning to the national psychology internship consortium (great lakes) after I saw them extend their deadline ...
Last edited:
ScottishPsyD
Full Member
Heard from NPTC-Great Lakes via emai (3/1, 3:50pm EST)l: invitation to interview. Unclear if it is personalized or mass email.
Congrats and good luck!Heard from NPTC-Great Lakes via emai (3/1, 3:50pm EST)l: invitation to interview. Unclear if it is personalized or mass email.
Geisinger invite today in a personal email. I agree that sites are likely sending invites on a rolling basis and it depends on when someone gets a chance to go through your application. Stay strong!
To everyone freaking out about radio silence so far: reviewing applications is very time-consuming, and a lot of sites don't really provide a lot of schedule clearance for the reviewers. Silence does not mean they don't care or aren't interested in you. It most likely means they just aren't done reviewing applications yet 🙂
If a site's application portal is still open, I would encourage contacting the training director. While the earliest the deadline can be set was Feb. 28th, sites can (as has been seen) certainly keep the portal open longer.
Also, for folks who are anxious about not yet hearing back--remember that sites could only start viewing and downloading applications on the 28th. It may take them a few days to start getting back to people.
Also, for folks who are anxious about not yet hearing back--remember that sites could only start viewing and downloading applications on the 28th. It may take them a few days to start getting back to people.
Received a phone call for a Skype interview with Centerstone Consortium.
Received a mass email for an interview with the Kansas City VA!
WorkingMan
Full Member
Received an email from State Center Community College District (Fresno, CA) as well as a mass email from University of Houston saying that interview invitations will go out on Monday if you are being considered.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
ScottishPsyD
Full Member
Mass email from Sutter Center (CA Consortium) at 1.45 am (EST) rejection for interview.
Just wanted to drop in with some encouragement for those of you in the Round II process. I know quite a few Round II folks personally and they are capable, kind, wise, accomplished and simply waiting for the right house to select them. The same is likely true for you.
PsyGrad2020
Full Member
Personal email from University of Kansas Medical Center (3/1) - interview invite
Phone call from TD at Sioux Falls VA (3/1) - interview invite
Mass email from Catholic University (3/1) - interview invite
Phone call from TD at Sioux Falls VA (3/1) - interview invite
Mass email from Catholic University (3/1) - interview invite
Personal email from Jamaica Hospital Medical Center on 3/1 offering interview
Not liking the rejection, but at least it's info? I hate this not having to tell us yes or no to an interview...Mass email from Sutter Center (CA Consortium) at 1.45 am (EST) rejection for interview.
3/3 Mass email from Child and Adolescent Behavioral Health in Canton, OH with interview invitation, signing up for times via link online
Email received from Child and Adolescent Behavioral Health for an invite to interview.
Phone call from Sara Reed with an invitation to interview.
Phone call from Sara Reed with an invitation to interview.
As a TD, I would like to wish all Phase II applicants good luck. I am reviewing applications this weekend and the quality of applicants is really impressive, so not matching is no indication of how good you are. Additionally, we have had a few phase 2 applicants match at our site in the past and they have been outstanding interns.
I was in Phase II 5 years ago and had a mandatory in-person interview. Interestingly, they've had several spots available in Phase II every year since.This is the first I've ever heard of in-person interviews in Phase II.
Wishing everyone here the best of luck. I didn't match my first time and was absolutely devastated. I wanted to throat punch everyone who told me it would all work out, but... they were right, it did.
3/4 mass email interview invite Virginia Beach City Public Schools
psych123chi
Full Member
Was it for a particular track?Heard from NPTC-Great Lakes via emai (3/1, 3:50pm EST)l: invitation to interview. Unclear if it is personalized or mass email.
ScottishPsyD
Full Member
Valley Oaks - email asked me to provided availability to interview with the DOT (specific to valley oaks) and that I was being considered for all the programs I applied for. Unclear if that meant all of the valley oaks programs or if it meant all of the NPTC programs ...Was it for a particular track?
South Texas VA interview via email, times for 3/5 and 3/8 phone interviews.
PsyDSunSky
Full Member
Interview from American University and Suffolk University
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Junebug1234
Full Member
Personal email invite 3/4 letting me know I would be contacted to set up an interview time later this week at Missouri Health Sciences Psychology Consortium, Truman VA internship.
Personal email invite 3/4 letting me know I would be contacted to set up an interview time later this week at Missouri Health Sciences Psychology Consortium, Truman VA internship.
I’ve heard great things about that program. I know some of the faculty and I’m sure it’s a great training experience!
Interview invites from:
Virginia Beach city school district
Green chimneys
Jewish child care Association
Metrohealth
Virginia Beach city school district
Green chimneys
Jewish child care Association
Metrohealth
Junebug1234
Full Member
Happy to hear that gradstudent2020! Thanks for sharing, it’s very encouraging 🙂I’ve heard great things about that program. I know some of the faculty and I’m sure it’s a great training experience!
Junebug1234
Full Member
Was it a mass invite or personal invite? Mostly curious because I’m a little sad I haven’t heard from them myself yet :/Interview from American University and Suffolk University