This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
question about the ADT pay (the 45 day obligation each year i believe), if you defer BOLC until after graduation do you still get the ADT pay each year before graduating?

Members don't see this ad.

question about the ADT pay (the 45 day obligation each year i believe), if you defer BOLC until after graduation do you still get the ADT pay each year before graduating?

Yes, ADT can mean many things. You can do your rotations, or clinical time. Whatever you decide to do as long as your medical school and the Army approves what you are doing you will be paid ADT.

I am currenlty working as a Army Healthcare Recruiter. I have been doing so about 18 months and have been very successful. So far I have had HPSP in medical, dental, nurse practioner and veterinary programs. I also have had someone accepted into the Masters in Social Work, GPN program at Baylor and CRNA program all very competitive programs to get in. I started this thread to answer questions to give you up to date information from current Army Medical Department programs.

I see a lot of questions about all the programs we have. I will only give you honest, researched answers!

I'm currently a civilian in a Physician Assistant program and am interested in joining when I graduate. Would I be able to go straight into an ER specialty or would it just be based off of the Army's need (i.e. I might get stuck in Family Practice or a different specialty that I'm not necessarily interested in)? And is it a 3 or 4 year commitment?
Thanks!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I
I'm currently a civilian in a Physician Assistant program and am interested in joining when I graduate. Would I be able to go straight into an ER specialty or would it just be based off of the Army's need (i.e. I might get stuck in Family Practice or a different specialty that I'm not necessarily interested in)? And is it a 3 or 4 year commitment?
Thanks!!!

It is based on the Army's need, the program manager will give you 2-3 spots to choose from but where you work specifically will be up to the AMEDD of where you are going. For instance I had a PA join last year who had experience in ER she chose Fort Drum because she is from upstate New York, however there is no emergency room at Fort Drum so she is working as a brigade PA. Just depends on where you want to go and what is available when you get there. If you want a chance at ER I would choose one of the bases with a large ER department. It is a 3 year commitment.

I

It is based on the Army's need, the program manager will give you 2-3 spots to choose from but where you work specifically will be up to the AMEDD of where you are going. For instance I had a PA join last year who had experience in ER she chose Fort Drum because she is from upstate New York, however there is no emergency room at Fort Drum so she is working as a brigade PA. Just depends on where you want to go and what is available when you get there. If you want a chance at ER I would choose one of the bases with a large ER department. It is a 3 year commitment.

Thank you. VERY helpful. Is it possible to request somewhere in the middle east as one of the "2-3 spots" that you choose? Or can you only request stateside locations? Thanks.

Thank you. VERY helpful. Is it possible to request somewhere in the middle east as one of the "2-3 spots" that you choose? Or can you only request stateside locations? Thanks.

You can't pick a spot in the middle east as a station but when you get to your unit you can request to be deployed from that place. If a deployment is what you want pick Fort Bragg, Fort Campbell, Fort Drum something that has units that deploy a lot.

I have a couple questions about the OPAT.
I am a HPSP Vet corps recipient and will be taking my OPAT in two weeks. I read up on the requirements for OPAT, however, I have a few questions.
  1. Does OPAT determine my MOS even though I'll be in the vet corps?
  2. What if I fail the OPAT?
  3. How should I train for it? I weight 110 lbs, height: 5'3, 24 yr female. Didn't really have time to for physical activity since schools been crazy.

1.- No the OPAT does not determine your AOC (medical officers use the term AOC instead of MOS)
2.- According to the regulation you cannot be enrolled into the program until you pass your OPAT, you only have to get the minimum score to pass.
3.- I would practice some sprints but other then that the rest is very easy. The dead lift minimum and seated power throw are very simple. The only part that some find challenging is the shuttle run but I have never seen someone not at least get the minimum to pass.

I had a couple of questions regarding the Army Reserves. I am in my second year of practice. I completed a pediatric residency and then a sports medicine fellowship. Currently I am doing 100% sports medicine that is predominantly adult patients with musculoskeletal complaints. I do see a fair share of adolescent as I am the team physician at several high schools and a D3 college.

Am I restricted to doing pediatrics in the Army Reserves?
If there are no pediatric openings could I be a GMO?
If accepted how long is BOLC and how long do I have to complete it?
I did MEPs 2013 during residency for the Air Force-AD then decided on fellowship instead. Would I have to repeat MEPs?

Thank you for your time.

I had a couple of questions regarding the Army Reserves. I am in my second year of practice. I completed a pediatric residency and then a sports medicine fellowship. Currently I am doing 100% sports medicine that is predominantly adult patients with musculoskeletal complaints. I do see a fair share of adolescent as I am the team physician at several high schools and a D3 college.

Am I restricted to doing pediatrics in the Army Reserves?
If there are no pediatric openings could I be a GMO?
If accepted how long is BOLC and how long do I have to complete it?
I did MEPs 2013 during residency for the Air Force-AD then decided on fellowship instead. Would I have to repeat MEPs?

Thank you for your time.

We actually don't have pediatric slots in the Army Reserves. However you can come in as a Family Medicine Doctor or a GMO (Field Surgeon) most come in as the Family Medicine Physician because there are better incentives. You must complete BOLC within three years of commission. BOLC for Reserves is broken down into two parts, part one is an online course first in which you have 52 weeks to complete. The second part is a 3 weeks and 4 day course in San Antonio. You would have to repeat your physical either at MEPS or a medical treatment facility because the physical is only good for two years.

Send me a private message and I would be happy to get you started, I put in two Pediatrician's last year as Family Medicine Doctors so I know exactly how to do the processing of the packet.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for doing this Armyhealth. I am going to be an undergrad freshman this fall interested in USUHS/HPSP once I complete my undergrad. What is the time frame I should start looking at talking with a healthcare recruiter to get the ball rolling for that?

Thank you for doing this Armyhealth. I am going to be an undergrad freshman this fall interested in USUHS/HPSP once I complete my undergrad. What is the time frame I should start looking at talking with a healthcare recruiter to get the ball rolling for that?

Depends if you plan on taking a GAP year or not. If you end up taking a GAP year then talk to a recruiter in your senior year. If you plan on applying your senior year then talk to a recruiter in your junior year. However, feel free to contact the recruiter in your area as soon as you want to start asking questions.

I am currenlty working as a Army Healthcare Recruiter. I have been doing so about 18 months and have been very successful. So far I have had HPSP in medical, dental, nurse practioner and veterinary programs. I also have had someone accepted into the Masters in Social Work, GPN program at Baylor and CRNA program all very competitive programs to get in. I started this thread to answer questions to give you up to date information from current Army Medical Department programs.

I see a lot of questions about all the programs we have. I will only give you honest, researched answers!
Is a waiver available for deafness in one ear when applying for the physician HPSP program? Also, can you discuss briefly age waivers? In my case, I would be starting medical school at age 39. Thank you.

Last edited:
Is a waiver available for deafness in one ear when applying for the physician HPSP program? Also, can you discuss briefly age waivers? In my case, I would be starting medical school at age 39. Thank you.

For age you have to start your active duty time by 42, however because you would be so close there is a good chance you could get the age waiver. The deafness in one ear most likely will be disqualifying. If you are talking complete hearing loss it will almost for sure be a disqualifying. Never know, I am not the doctor so I would get your physical done first and see if they will let you in.

Can a nocturne (nocturnal person) join the army?

I'm serious I have a very fit (can run 12+ miles non-stop), smart friend (research guru with several poster presentations), who has to limit his exposure to light. Everyone thinks he's in the army who doesn't know him because he's so fit and would fit right in otherwise.

I'm serious I have a very fit (can run 12+ miles non-stop), smart friend (research guru with several poster presentations), who has to limit his exposure to light. Everyone thinks he's in the army who doesn't know him because he's so fit and would fit right in otherwise.
No

We actually don't have pediatric slots in the Army Reserves. However you can come in as a Family Medicine Doctor or a GMO (Field Surgeon) most come in as the Family Medicine Physician because there are better incentives. You must complete BOLC within three years of commission. BOLC for Reserves is broken down into two parts, part one is an online course first in which you have 52 weeks to complete. The second part is a 3 weeks and 4 day course in San Antonio. You would have to repeat your physical either at MEPS or a medical treatment facility because the physical is only good for two years.

Send me a private message and I would be happy to get you started, I put in two Pediatrician's last year as Family Medicine Doctors so I know exactly how to do the processing of the packet.
I think you may be right about gmo, but a pediatrician is not a FM doc

I would have to look at the exact condition but very unlikely.

Look up PROFIS regulation, a pediatrician can fill a 61H slot in the Reserves. I put in two like that last year.
I think we're getting into semantics here. The army can commission whoever they want and call them whatever they want. I'm not debating the posters ability to commission.

But that still doesn't make a pediatrician an FM doc.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello,
I am currently a university student majoring in nutrition and I am going onto my sophomore year this upcoming fall. I am interested in becoming an army dietitian, however I wanted to know what routes I can take or are available, in order for me to pursue that career in the army. I would also like to know what is recommended that I start doing at this moment in order to reach that goal and help prepare myself. One thing I would like to mention as well is that recently I joined the army ROTC program at my university as I am aware that the program offers a commission as a second lieutenant in the army which is what a dietitian is considered.

Hello,
I am currently a university student majoring in nutrition and I am going onto my sophomore year this upcoming fall. I am interested in becoming an army dietitian, however I wanted to know what routes I can take or are available, in order for me to pursue that career in the army. I would also like to know what is recommended that I start doing at this moment in order to reach that goal and help prepare myself. One thing I would like to mention as well is that recently I joined the army ROTC program at my university as I am aware that the program offers a commission as a second lieutenant in the army which is what a dietitian is considered.
@Armyhealth Thoughts?
@purple98 - Read up on the Dietitian 65c and Dietetic Student 65c on the goarmy website. Dietetic Student

Looks like you would have to apply for an ROTC 2 year Ed Delay for the Dietetic Student commission. The criteria is listed in the link above including 3.0+ GPA, GRE 297+, and GRE Writing 3.5+. You would need your GRE scores when applying for the Ed Delay late your Jr year as part of the accessions process. This would add to your ROTC service obligation.

For the Dietitian AOC you have to have completed a dietetic internship and registered as a Dietitian by the Commission on Dietetic Registration. Dietitian Jobs (65C)

In either case contact a local healthcare recruiter to confirm application process, timeline, and need for dietitians. Try messaging @Armyhealth, he may be able to put you in contact with a competent local healthcare recruiter.

Edit: If you are not getting significant financial assistance from ROTC or already obligated you should consider dropping ROTC. If you stay in ROTC be prepared to complete your service obligation as a line/staff officer rather than dietitian.

@Armyhealth Thoughts?
@purple98 - Read up on the Dietitian 65c and Dietetic Student 65c on the goarmy website. Dietetic Student

Looks like you would have to apply for an ROTC 2 year Ed Delay for the Dietetic Student commission. The criteria is listed in the link above including 3.0+ GPA, GRE 297+, and GRE Writing 3.5+. You would need your GRE scores when applying for the Ed Delay late your Jr year as part of the accessions process. This would add to your ROTC service obligation.

For the Dietitian AOC you have to have completed a dietetic internship and registered as a Dietitian by the Commission on Dietetic Registration. Dietitian Jobs (65C)

In either case contact a local healthcare recruiter to confirm application process, timeline, and need for dietitians. Try messaging @Armyhealth, he may be able to put you in contact with a competent local healthcare recruiter.

Edit: If you are not getting significant financial assistance from ROTC or already obligated you should consider dropping ROTC. If you stay in ROTC be prepared to complete your service obligation as a line/staff officer rather than dietitian.

Thank you! Out of all the people I've talked to so far, your reply seems to be the most helpful one. Since for the dietitian AOC like you mentioned you need to have completed a dietetic internship as well as have become a registered dietitian, do you think it would make my situation easier if I applied and got accepted to the CPD program my university has? I would apply to it my junior year and basically what the CPD (coordinated) program is its a degree option that combines the academic and supervised practice experience to qualify graduates to become a registered dietitian. In other words, under this program I would complete the internship my senior year of university and hopefully once I'm done and I graduate I can take the exam to become a registered dietitian. If I were to go this route and things went as planned, then wouldn't I be looking into a possible direct commission into the army as a fully qualified registered dietitian?

If that is the case, then I'm now thinking of this being my best option and I'll just drop ROTC like you mentioned as I am not obligated to be in it as of now and I don't necessarily prefer to complete my service obligation as a line/staff officer rather than a dietitian.

Hey, we have our own program that you can direct apply for. GPN at Baylor, Military-Baylor Masters Program in Nutrition | Baylor University
You actually finish your Master's in Nutrition and do your internship at the same time in a two year program and sit for the examination at the end of the program. After you are done you work in the Army as a full Dietician 65C. Look up the link and let me know if you have any other questions. I actually had someone get into this program about a year ago.

Reactions: 1 users
Hey, we have our own program that you can direct apply for. GPN at Baylor, Military-Baylor Masters Program in Nutrition | Baylor University
You actually finish your Master's in Nutrition and do your internship at the same time in a two year program and sit for the examination at the end of the program. After you are done you work in the Army as a full Dietician 65C. Look up the link and let me know if you have any other questions. I actually had someone get into this program about a year ago.
So the Baylor program is the Dietetic Student AOC listed. Have you worked with any ROTC cadets transitioning to that program or directly to the 65C Dietitian AOC?

So the Baylor program is the Dietetic Student AOC listed. Have you worked with any ROTC cadets transitioning to that program or directly to the 65C Dietitian AOC?

I have not had a ROTC student apply for this program. The only one I had was non-prior service and had no ties to ROTC. If you wanted to apply as a ROTC student you would have to apply for an ed delay and apply for the program at the same time and get accepted into an ed delay and the GPN program.

What are the age limits? I am 35 now, and wont graduate until I am 38 to 39

You have to commission by the age of 42, so if you are doing a HPSP program you would still be good to apply.
Hi, I've been trying to PM you but for some reason it won't send. Can you please PM me so I can respond there? Thank you

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using SDN mobile

If you receive a four year HPSP scholarship, but chose to defer a year before beginning medical school, will you lose that scholarship and have to reapply or will it just roll over to next year when you begin?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

If you receive a four year HPSP scholarship, but chose to defer a year before beginning medical school, will you lose that scholarship and have to reapply or will it just roll over to next year when you begin?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

You can't officially be awarded the scholarship until you have a letter of acceptance in hand. Now if you are awarded the scholarship because you had a LOA and then choose to later defer it then you do have to reapply all over again.

Sorry, I am not sure that is for the Army but that is the only branch I cover. Usually the policies are the same or pretty close however.

Hello

I'm interested in pursuing a career in clinical psychology and plan on applying for the HPSP while on active duty. I have over 5 years time in service as of now but not sure if I would be eligible for mental health. I have current prescriptions for anti-depressants, anxiety, and adderall. I self enrolled to the ASAP program a few years back and have been sober ever since but still taking medications prescribed since then. Is it very likely to get a waiver for this?

Thank you

@Armyhealth will an AMEDD recruiter send me to a commissioning physical before I have a LOA in hand?

I'm currently serving in the JAG Corps on AD. I'm going to resign shortly and I need to know whether I can get into the medical corps or whether I should go into the JAG Corps reserve. I have a couple of medical issues so I'm reluctant to turn down the direct path to the JAG reserves, which doesn't require a commissioning physical, without knowing for sure that I am medically qualified to commission in the medical corps.

Please advise.

@Armyhealth will an AMEDD recruiter send me to a commissioning physical before I have a LOA in hand?

I'm currently serving in the JAG Corps on AD. I'm going to resign shortly and I need to know whether I can get into the medical corps or whether I should go into the JAG Corps reserve. I have a couple of medical issues so I'm reluctant to turn down the direct path to the JAG reserves, which doesn't require a commissioning physical, without knowing for sure that I am medically qualified to commission in the medical corps.

Please advise.

I'm sure you'll want the expert to weight in here, but I just started my HPSP app as a medical school applicant with no acceptances at this point and I'm going to MEPS next week.

I think as long as you have competitive stats, show commitment, they will send you to Meps sans acceptance.

Please advise.
If you aren't medically qualified to serve as a doc, you really shouldn't be in the military. The standards are so basic that anyone who can't get through is likely to end up nondeployable and just leaving the others to pull their weight when it comes time to deploy

If you aren't medically qualified to serve as a doc, you really shouldn't be in the military. The standards are so basic that anyone who can't get through is likely to end up nondeployable and just leaving the others to pull their weight when it comes time to deploy

I disagree with you completely. There are lots of injuries and conditions that don't render someone non-deployable, yet at the same time would prevent someone from commissioning without a waiver. I know plenty of people who separated, not medically retired, with a 50-80% rating yet who where fit and deploylable. Someone with the same set of issues would not be able to commission or enlist without a waiver. I expect to be in the same boat.

I'm sure you'll want the expert to weight in here, but I just started my HPSP app as a medical school applicant with no acceptances at this point and I'm going to MEPS next week.

I think as long as you have competitive stats, show commitment, they will send you to Meps sans acceptance.

Thank you!

I disagree with you completely. There are lots of injuries and conditions that don't render someone non-deployable, yet at the same time would prevent someone from commissioning without a waiver. I know plenty of people who separated, not medically retired, with a 50-80% rating yet who where fit and deploylable. Someone with the same set of issues would not be able to commission or enlist without a waiver. I expect to be in the same boat.
I'm referencing inability to get approved with a waiver. There are a number of things amedd might give a waiver for....if you can't get the waivers necessary to get into amedd I'm of the opinion one shouldn't be in

I understand that might still not have us in agreement though

I'm referencing inability to get approved with a waiver. There are a number of things amedd might give a waiver for....if you can't get the waivers necessary to get into amedd I'm of the opinion one shouldn't be in

I understand that might still not have us in agreement though

Well I have close to 10 years on AD and very much enjoy serving in the military, and apparently the military enjoys having me, so please understand if I'm not willing roll the dice and find out if I can keep serving based on your assertion that amedd waivers are easy to get.

Well I have close to 10 years on AD and very much enjoy serving in the military, and apparently the military enjoys having me, so please understand if I'm not willing roll the dice and find out if I can keep serving based on your assertion that amedd waivers are easy to get.
I'm not claiming they are all easy to get. but it's clear we're speaking past each other here...

I'm not claiming they are all easy to get. but it's clear we're speaking past each other here...

I get what you're saying, I just don't agree. Your view is based on an incorrect belief that the set of conditions that prevent someone from joining is equivalent to the set of conditions that make someone non-deployable or otherwise unsuited for continued military service. While there is certainly overlap between these two sets, they are not equivalent. That is why many people are not medically separated for stuff that would keep someone off the street from getting in.

I get what you're saying, I just don't agree. Your view is based on an incorrect belief that the set of conditions that prevent someone from joining is equivalent to the set of conditions that make someone non-deployable or otherwise unsuited for continued military service. While there is certainly overlap between these two sets, they are not equivalent. That is why many people are not medically separated for stuff that would keep someone off the street from getting in.
I know the difference. But again, we're not communicating well

Please advise.

The Medical Corps requires the same physical requirements as anyone else. If you are already on active duty I would get a commission physical before you resign because it will be good for 2 years. Also much easier then coordinating one after you get out. It will be up the office of the surgeon general.