This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
If I am taking the Army 4 year scholarship to be a doctor will I take health insurance through my medical school come August or through the military? I am asking because I just lost my insurance and I will be commissioning in May and was wondering if I will get insurance for June and July through the military prior to medical school or if I will have to pay for private insurance out of pocket. Thanks for any help you can give.

Members don't see this ad.

If I am taking the Army 4 year scholarship to be a doctor will I take health insurance through my medical school come August or through the military? I am asking because I just lost my insurance and I will be commissioning in May and was wondering if I will get insurance for June and July through the military prior to medical school or if I will have to pay for private insurance out of pocket. Thanks for any help you can give.
You will not get the military TRICARE. You will be reimbursed for enrolling in your schools insurance plan once school starts. If you want to keep complete coverage you will have to pay out of pocket for the time before school starts.

Reactions: 1 user
I am currenlty working as a Army Healthcare Recruiter. I have been doing so about 3 years. So far I have had HPSP in medical, dental, optometry, nurse practioner, CRNA and veterinary programs. I also have had someone accepted into the Masters in Social Work, GPN program at Baylor and LTHET program all very competitive programs to get in. I started this thread to answer questions to give you up to date information from current Army Medical Department programs.

I see a lot of questions about all the programs we have. I will only give you honest, researched answers!

I'm currently in a MSN program for my psych/mental health NP. I'm trying to find out if the Army is still taking NP HPSP applicants? I got a call from an Army recruiter, but the call kept dropping so he sent me an email about the STRAP for MSN - which I'll look into - but was curious about the HPSP and found your post so I thought I'd ask. Thank you for any help you can provide!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm currently in a MSN program for my psych/mental health NP. I'm trying to find out if the Army is still taking NP HPSP applicants? I got a call from an Army recruiter, but the call kept dropping so he sent me an email about the STRAP for MSN - which I'll look into - but was curious about the HPSP and found your post so I thought I'd ask. Thank you for any help you can provide!

The mission says closed for this year but I just had a applicant picked up for CRNA yesterday. If it is not open this year we could at least try to get you a one year scholarship. Feel free to send me a PM and we can talk over the phone about all the options open to you.

Last edited:
New Hi ARMYHEALTH, great to have you. I'm interested in Dental and would really like to know A DETAILED TIMELINE of everything that needs to be submitted for HPSP. Also, what's the ratio for women/men? Is it common for women pursue this HPSP?

Thank you!

Somehow I missed this one, sorry about that!

You would want to contact your AMEDD recruiter the same time you start applying to dental schools, after that we can do the physical right away and start knocking out the rest of the packet. You should have everything done around Nov-Dec and as soon as you get your letter of acceptance you are ready for the board in Feb. After that we await for the Army to clear you for commission, do your commission around March/April and you can sign up for the DCC (June) course before even going to dental school if you wish.

You will take health insurance from the school and the army will pay for it. If you have to pay out of your own pocket just keep the receipt and the army will reimburse you for it. You can't be insured by the army yet because you are in the IRR while in medical school except when you are on orders doing official military business.

Hi another question. If I plan on swearing in and everything at the end of May for med school start in August, how and when will the signing bonus be distributed to me. Is it in one lump some or is it broken up. Thanks @Armyhealth

Hi another question. If I plan on swearing in and everything at the end of May for med school start in August, how and when will the signing bonus be distributed to me. Is it in one lump some or is it broken up. Thanks @Armyhealth

It is in three payments during your first year 9k, 9k, 2k, I think one of the other branches is 8k, 8k, 4k. Payment starts 1st day a school if you got everything enrolled in time.

Last edited:
It is in three payments, once per year 9k, 9k, 2k, I think one of the other branches is 8k, 8k, 4k. Payment starts 1st day a school if you got everything enrolled in time.
Air Force this past year for me was 3 payments that were all paid in the same month. I am a first year student. I don't remember the amounts paid each time, but the sum of the 3 was 20,000 before federal tax. Interesting to see the army pays it over 3 years.

Good morning!
You mentioned the age limit being 42, is there any age waiver policy in place?
Thank you!

Good morning!
You mentioned the age limit being 42, is there any age waiver policy in place?
Thank you!

Yes, there is a age waiver. Depends what specialty you are and what you are applying for. If you are already a licensed professional applying for reserves you have a very good shot of getting it approved.

Does anyone know when the recommendations from the March boards will be released to Army HPSP candidates? Anxiously waiting.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you are going to medical school in a very very expensive city (NY, San Francisco, DC, Miami, etc) can you negotiate your monthly stipend before signing? Is there any room for negotiation in the HPSP contract at all?

If you are going to medical school in a very very expensive city (NY, San Francisco, DC, Miami, etc) can you negotiate your monthly stipend before signing? Is there any room for negotiation in the HPSP contract at all?
None at all. Take it or leave it.

I was active army for 8 years- hooah! A soldier medic at that. I just got accepted into grad school for OT. :))) Voc Rehab is paying for it.

When I was in all the OT’s were GS— that still the same trend?

Hello. I would like to know how long it takes for the SECDEF to approve your scroll once you are accepted to direct commission. Thank you.

Hello. I would like to know how long it takes for the SECDEF to approve your scroll once you are accepted to direct commission. Thank you.

It is roughly 90 days from when it is submitted. The recruiter can submit it at any time so you would have to ask them when the actual submit date was.

T
It is roughly 90 days from when it is submitted. The recruiter can submit it at any time so you would have to ask them when the actual submit date was.

Thank you. Mine was submitted around Feb so I guess I can expect it somewhere in May. Hopefully. What are the chances of them coming back a little earlier or later?

T

Thank you. Mine was submitted around Feb so I guess I can expect it somewhere in May. Hopefully. What are the chances of them coming back a little earlier or later?

90 days is a guesstimate I wouldn't expect it too much earlier but I wouldn't be surprised if it mid to late May before you see it.

90 days is a guesstimate I wouldn't expect it too much earlier but I wouldn't be surprised if it mid to late May before you see it.

Thanks again. Throwing a hypothetical scenario here. Suppose I were to get flagged for height/weight failure, pt failure, or get an article 15 while waiting for my scroll, can that put a halt to the scroll process even though it has been submitted? I know injury can affect school dates but how about UCMJ or any flags within your unit?

Thanks again. Throwing a hypothetical scenario here. Suppose I were to get flagged for height/weight failure, pt failure, or get an article 15 while waiting for my scroll, can that put a halt to the scroll process even though it has been submitted? I know injury can affect school dates but how about UCMJ or any flags within your unit?

No, nothing from your current unit will stop the scroll. However being flagged will make it so the unit does not have to release you and give you your discharge paperwork.

Hey there,
I'm currently at ARC and have orders to 1st MRBn. I wanted to know what to expect from AMEDD recruiting as opposed to conventional recruiting. Any information that may let me know what to be ready for would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Hey there,
I'm currently at ARC and have orders to 1st MRBn. I wanted to know what to expect from AMEDD recruiting as opposed to conventional recruiting. Any information that may let me know what to be ready for would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
I've found them to be generally intending to be more honest than the storefront general recruiting but far less knowledgeable about what it's like to be the medical person in training. Run any claims by the posters in the .mil forum here...

I am currenlty working as a Army Healthcare Recruiter. I have been doing so about 3 years. So far I have had HPSP in medical, dental, optometry, nurse practioner, CRNA and veterinary programs. I also have had someone accepted into the Masters in Social Work, GPN program at Baylor and LTHET program all very competitive programs to get in. I started this thread to answer questions to give you up to date information from current Army Medical Department programs.

I see a lot of questions about all the programs we have. I will only give you honest, researched answers!
Let’s say ur trying to join the army dental corps to become an 63E to get into the STRAP program. Once you send your CV to the board, how long does it take for them to make a decision? Decision on whether or not they will accept your application or have a spot for you. My recruiter said that if it’s pass 10 or more days that isn’t a good sign. Just trying to Verify

Let’s say ur trying to join the army dental corps to become an 63E to get into the STRAP program. Once you send your CV to the board, how long does it take for them to make a decision? Decision on whether or not they will accept your application or have a spot for you. My recruiter said that if it’s pass 10 or more days that isn’t a good sign. Just trying to Verify

63E STRAP they probably had to send it to a consultant to look it over. That is probably why it is taking so long. Not always a bad sign, I have a general dentist CV that I am at about day 14 so no worries as of yet.

Hey there,

Welcome to my Battalion, send me a PM!

No the stipend is set as an average for all medical students across the country, Alabama and Arkansas students live good while big city applicants kind of get a raw deal. It does get adjusted each year based on cost of living adjustments.

I was active army for 8 years- hooah! A soldier medic at that. I just got accepted into grad school for OT. :))) Voc Rehab is paying for it.

When I was in all the OT’s were GS— that still the same trend?

We have active duty and reserve OT's. Not many but they are out there, most likely you will need a couple of years of experience before you are competitive and they really like any ortho experience.

Occupational Therapist Job (65A)

63E STRAP they probably had to send it to a consultant to look it over. That is probably why it is taking so long. Not always a bad sign, I have a general dentist CV that I am at about day 14 so no worries as of yet.
Thank you!! I don’t know why she would say that. I’m currently in the NG and got my conditional release to move to the Army Reserve. I pray everything goes well

No the stipend is set as an average for all medical students across the country, Alabama and Arkansas students live good while big city applicants kind of get a raw deal. It does get adjusted each year based on cost of living adjustments.

Do you know what the current stipend is?

Do you know what the current stipend is?
Current HPSP student I get 1,008 dollars twice a month after tax for a total of 2016.00. You will receive that payment for 10.5 months of the year. The other 1.5 months of the year you have 45 days active duty where you get paid about 4,500 salary. You also get ~220 for a food allowance and then BAH (basic allowance for housing) anywhere from 1200 a month to 5000 a month depending on where your medical school is located.

Update to MDSSP-

New policy states that you have to apply to a specialty on the critical wartime list when you accept MDSSP. You will sign a memorandum stating you understand this policy when you apply.

Current HPSP student I get 1,008 dollars twice a month after tax for a total of 2016.00. You will receive that payment for 10.5 months of the year. The other 1.5 months of the year you have 45 days active duty where you get paid about 4,500 salary. You also get ~220 for a food allowance and then BAH (basic allowance for housing) anywhere from 1200 a month to 5000 a month depending on where your medical school is located.

thank you so much for the detailed response. Can you tell me a little more about the BAH. This is on top of the stipend? I had not heard anything about this yet. I am taking the scholarship and commissioning in no matter what, but i am just trying to wrap my head around how much money I will be getting monthly from the scholarship vs the cost of living in the city im moving to (which is SUPER high). How is BAH determined? Once again thank you soooo much for the information.

thank you so much for the detailed response. Can you tell me a little more about the BAH. This is on top of the stipend? I had not heard anything about this yet. I am taking the scholarship and commissioning in no matter what, but i am just trying to wrap my head around how much money I will be getting monthly from the scholarship vs the cost of living in the city im moving to (which is SUPER high). How is BAH determined? Once again thank you soooo much for the information.
So in the 1.5 months of the year that you don't get the stipend you are getting active duty pay for an O1 officer (3107 a month and since you are active duty for 45 days you get 3107 x 1.5 = 4600 roughly). You will also get BAH during this 45 days, which is based upon where your school is. You can use a calculator BAH Calculator to figure out how much O1 get paid in your zip code for that time looks like it can be lower than what I said before. Mine in my zip code is 1083 a month so (1083 x 1.5 = $1624). Last, Basic Allowance for Subsistence (BAS) is used to pay for food for Enlisted Soldiers and Officers. This is a flat rate no matter where you live and for officers it is 254.39 a month (254.39 x 1.5 = $381). So for that 1.5 months of "active duty" every year I get paid $6605 before taxes over those 45 days or (6605/1.5= $4403 a month). So for the 45 days you get paid much more than the stipend is, but this is only during those days. The rest of the 10.5 months you will get paid right around 2,000 a month after taxes. All in all it is much more money than many medical students live off of each year.

Reactions: 1 users
So in the 1.5 months of the year that you don't get the stipend you are getting active duty pay for an O1 officer (3107 a month and since you are active duty for 45 days you get 3107 x 1.5 = 4600 roughly). You will also get BAH during this 45 days, which is based upon where your school is. You can use a calculator BAH Calculator to figure out how much O1 get paid in your zip code for that time looks like it can be lower than what I said before. Mine in my zip code is 1083 a month so (1083 x 1.5 = $1624). Last, Basic Allowance for Subsistence (BAS) is used to pay for food for Enlisted Soldiers and Officers. This is a flat rate no matter where you live and for officers it is 254.39 a month (254.39 x 1.5 = $381). So for that 1.5 months of "active duty" every year I get paid $6605 before taxes over those 45 days or (6605/1.5= $4403 a month). So for the 45 days you get paid much more than the stipend is, but this is only during those days. The rest of the 10.5 months you will get paid right around 2,000 a month after taxes. All in all it is much more money than many medical students live off of each year.

Thanks for clarifying!

Hey there, I have a question about scroll. In January I submitted a packed for 72D and it was rejected because there were no AC spots, recently I applied for 70B and I was told that I was waiting for scroll for the results to be official. Can they use the original scroll date for the 72D packet or will they have to use the 70B scroll date?

Hey there, I have a question about scroll. In January I submitted a packed for 72D and it was rejected because there were no AC spots, recently I applied for 70B and I was told that I was waiting for scroll for the results to be official. Can they use the original scroll date for the 72D packet or will they have to use the 70B scroll date?

No, if you switched from 72D active to 72D reserve it could switch over but because you are switching jobs entirely they have to submit a new scroll.

Is a 3.2 Undergrad GPA required?

Is a 3.2 Undergrad GPA required?

For the medical HPSP it is a requirement. We do have a MAC waiver (minimum acceptance criteria) if you have a good MCAT and a letter of acceptance it is possible to get a waiver. They usually approve a few a year especially if your prior service. Or you could apply for MDSSP.

No, if you switched from 72D active to 72D reserve it could switch over but because you are switching jobs entirely they have to submit a new scroll.

Thank you. I was told just the opposite Friday. I was told that since it was AC to AC they could use the same but if it was reserves I couldn't. Also, I was told that I have to do DCC, do you have any insight on that?

Thank you. I was told just the opposite Friday. I was told that since it was AC to AC they could use the same but if it was reserves I couldn't. Also, I was told that I have to do DCC, do you have any insight on that?

You will have to go to DCC, 4 week course at Fort Sill, OK. Very, very basics of Army and leadership training. Think of it like boot camp for medical officers. PS when a active scroll is submitted they also do a reserve scroll at the same time because technically you commission in the reserves until you start active duty time when you report to DCC. So an active duty applicant will always have an approved active and reserve scroll whereas a reserve applicant will only have a reserve scroll. However because of the AOC switch they have to submit a new one anyway. Just info for your recruiter ;)

Hello, husband is currently active duty Army O3 about to take command. He will likely be finishing command when I matriculate next year. From there, as you know he will be given a broadening exercise. I am wondering a few things.
1. If I get accepted into a medical school, will the military help with PCSing him close to me? Does it make a difference if I do/don't do HSPS?
2. My husband currently has 22 months and change of his GI Bill that he plans to transfer to me. How does GI Bill, Yellow Ribbon program, and HSPS work?

Thank you.

Hello, husband is currently active duty Army O3 about to take command. He will likely be finishing command when I matriculate next year. From there, as you know he will be given a broadening exercise. I am wondering a few things.
1. If I get accepted into a medical school, will the military help with PCSing him close to me? Does it make a difference if I do/don't do HSPS?
2. My husband currently has 22 months and change of his GI Bill that he plans to transfer to me. How does GI Bill, Yellow Ribbon program, and HSPS work?

Thank you.

Once you get accepted into HPSP you can apply for the married couples program, at that point it is up to his branch manager to find a slot close to you. So yes they do try and make it happen. Much harder for a medical student depending on where you get accepted though (maybe an ROTC instructor?). HPSP is a full scholarship so you wouldn't need to transfer if you apply for that. If you use GI and/or yellow ribbon you will have to check with the school you are accepted into. I believe the GI will only pay up to a masters program so I don't think that would help with medical school. There are some contacts on here that are a lot more up to date on GI bill and such.

You will have to go to DCC, 4 week course at Fort Sill, OK. Very, very basics of Army and leadership training. Think of it like boot camp for medical officers. PS when a active scroll is submitted they also do a reserve scroll at the same time because technically you commission in the reserves until you start active duty time when you report to DCC. So an active duty applicant will always have an approved active and reserve scroll whereas a reserve applicant will only have a reserve scroll. However because of the AOC switch they have to submit a new one anyway. Just info for your recruiter ;)

I truly appreciate the feedback. I've read on the DCC website that wee will need about $1500 for uniforms and clothing. It doesn't mention anything about a clothing allowance or pay allowance where as the Amedd C&S did mention it for BOLC but it does us no justice if DCC is first, Do you have any insight on if Officers get a clothing allowance?

I truly appreciate the feedback. I've read on the DCC website that wee will need about $1500 for uniforms and clothing. It doesn't mention anything about a clothing allowance or pay allowance where as the Amedd C&S did mention it for BOLC but it does us no justice if DCC is first, Do you have any insight on if Officers get a clothing allowance?
I just spent 1000 on uniforms for Commissioned officer training for the Air Force. I only got 450 in allowance for uniforms.

Reactions: 1 users
Once you get accepted into HPSP you can apply for the married couples program, at that point it is up to his branch manager to find a slot close to you. So yes they do try and make it happen. Much harder for a medical student depending on where you get accepted though (maybe an ROTC instructor?). HPSP is a full scholarship so you wouldn't need to transfer if you apply for that. If you use GI and/or yellow ribbon you will have to check with the school you are accepted into. I believe the GI will only pay up to a masters program so I don't think that would help with medical school. There are some contacts on here that are a lot more up to date on GI bill and such.

GI Bill will pay full tuition if you go to a state medical school and qualify for in state tuition. If you go to private school it will pay up at 19K or so (every year it goes up a little, but is definitely not enough to cover full medical school tuition.

GI Bill will pay full tuition if you go to a state medical school and qualify for in state tuition. If you go to private school it will pay up at 19K or so (every year it goes up a little, but is definitely not enough to cover full medical school tuition.

This is exciting ... Did you do this?