ATSU/SOMA (Arizona) Discussion thread 2008-2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm so excited I got my acceptance to ATSU! i have been so excited about how unique and innovative this program is. I was just wondering, has anyone who has been accepted received login information from the help desk? or does that information come out later? Thanks!

I haven't yet. Yeah, I've been wondering about that too - I'm craving more info, anything about this year, but nothing on the website has been updated, and nothing from the help desk. Anyone else talk to them lately?

Members don't see this ad.

First of all, you can get a refund, (at least I could) for 30 days after the date where I had to send in the deposit. Read the contract that they give you carefully.

Secondly, there have been a lot of posts on this thread about why SOMA is a great school - written by current students and other applicants. Actually, for me, posting on this thread about SOMA's program was a really helpful thought exercise; writing down the facts and my feelings about the program helped me to rationally think through the choices that I had to make. It would also help to know a little more about your first choice school. So go back and read others' posts, and also, here are a few more things to consider.

1. SOMA's curriculum is unique. Can you see yourself being happy taking classes over the internet, juggling clinical experience, basic sciences, and studying for Step 1 during year 2? It may be the best choice for you or you may be happier with a more traditional school.
2. SOMA's people are unique. I can't wait to meet my classmates - as someone here on SDN put it - "I feel so punk rock for choosing this school." The facilitators that I met at the Brooklyn CHC were energetic, excited about what they were doing, and there was definitely a sense of communal purpose. Now there will be gunners and arrogant professors wherever you go, but I think that SOMA tends to attract altruistic people and repel selfish types.
3. Are you more comfortable with an established structure or are you happier feeling like you can be proactive about your education? One of the most appealing things about year 2 for me, is the opportunity to network with people you may be working with in residency or as a physician.

All that said, if I had gotten into my state school, it would have been really really difficult to pay $20,000/yr. more for SOMA. It kinda makes me happy that I didn't get into my state school, though, haha. Good luck at your interview and making this decision.

Hey thanks for your input. I appreciate all the advice I can get and all of the useful stuff written on this board! Maybe I'll see you next summer ;)

I'm so excited I got my acceptance to ATSU! i have been so excited about how unique and innovative this program is. I was just wondering, has anyone who has been accepted received login information from the help desk? or does that information come out later? Thanks!

I actually sent the IT guys an email around Christmas. They said look for more information regarding our electronic accounts around the end of January/start of Feb.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone,

Just curious as to how everyone is funding their tuition. Private Loans? Military scholarships (HPSP)? Can anyone recommend other grants or things like that? I've read that some clinics offer to pay for partial/full tuition if you agree to work with that hospital/clinic.

Just throwing it out there as I myself figure out how to finance medical school.

I'm doing federal stafford loans (subsidized and unsubsidized) and paying for the remainder of tuition + living expenses by GradPlus loans. These are all federal loans, which in my limited experience are generally better than taking out private loans. However, keep in mind that you need to have good credit in order to qualify for the GradPlus loans.

Not sure about the scholarship opportunities, but I know if you want to enter in a primary care field, there are several loan repayment options provided by the government. Hope this helps.

Moments ago I cancelled my interview for 8:00 AM on January 23, 2009. If anyone is trying to get an earlier interview date they could call them and try to grab my spot.

Good luck to everyone.

I was just offered an interview invite yesterday, I def want to go check out the school, but I may cancel once I hear from KCOM.

I just submitted my AACOMAS yesterday, does anyone know what the chances of getting an interview are?

I just submitted my AACOMAS yesterday, does anyone know what the chances of getting an interview are?

It is definately getting later in the cycle but by no means too late. I hear people getting interviews and acceptances through March and April quite often.
I would recommend applying to several schools though, hopefully youre not applying to just one/two.

Members don't see this ad :)
what do you guys think about the ATSU portal so far????

there is a LOT of information to filter on that site.
Is this what years 2 ,3 and 4 will look like????
it'd be like one big online class wouldn't it?

DrMatt,

I echo your thoughts exactly. I am actually going to retake the MCAT in April and if I do break a 30 I will probably reapply another cycle and forfeit my acceptance here.

For you, it looks like you have many more options. Congrats on your amazing success this cycle.

Yeah, the portal does look like Windows 98, with the tiny folders and whatnot, however, the portal and Blackboard are two different things. The portal is supposed to be a "front door" into everything that SOMA has to offer online - the bookstore, academic counseling, etc. while Blackboard is for the actual academic courses.

I agree with you about the portal - it is the "front door" to what looks like a disorganized cellar.

Blackboard is a seperate program for the actual courses. From my undergrad, the courses in Blackboard were very organized; each course had its own section, and it was very clear - nothing like the portal.

But they did ask for feedback, so I'm going to let them know what I think about the portal for sure.

DrMatt,

I echo your thoughts exactly. I am actually going to retake the MCAT in April and if I do break a 30 I will probably reapply another cycle and forfeit my acceptance here.

For you, it looks like you have many more options. Congrats on your amazing success this cycle.

Just curious as to why you'd forfeit any acceptance in order to apply again? I think just getting into one medical school, even if its not your first choice, is outstanding if you consider the statistics...

Yeah, the portal does look like Windows 98, with the tiny folders and whatnot, however, the portal and Blackboard are two different things. The portal is supposed to be a "front door" into everything that SOMA has to offer online - the bookstore, academic counseling, etc. while Blackboard is for the actual academic courses.

I agree with you about the portal - it is the "front door" to what looks like a disorganized cellar.

Blackboard is a seperate program for the actual courses. From my undergrad, the courses in Blackboard were very organized; each course had its own section, and it was very clear - nothing like the portal.

But they did ask for feedback, so I'm going to let them know what I think about the portal for sure.

I had blackboard as an undergrad too... do you really only do classes online as a 2nd year? I understand that there is an adjunct professor at the CHCs but I am not sure the extent to which you interact with this person. I suppose I should do more "hands on" research i.e. observe a 2nd year class at any given CHC. This scares me a little because I recall "distance education" classes at my undergrad university being very tedious and harder than going to classes and listening to lecture.

The online materials and assignments are actually on medicallearningonline.com, which is maintain by a group from Canada. It's pretty neat and many other medical schools use the site as well. It's set up in a way that your class will be the only one able to access your class materials.

Hey anyone else on the alternate list??? What do your stats look like? Can anyone tell me the acceptance rate off the alternate list?

Hey anyone else on the alternate list??? What do your stats look like? Can anyone tell me the acceptance rate off the alternate list?

Of course, they don't have a lot of classes to go by but the admissions lady at my interview told us that the first two years they went through about 50%-80% of the waitlist.

DrMatt,

Whoa whoa whoa, because of the portal in you're going to wait another year and give up thousands of dollars that you invested in this cycle?

That's crazy!

LOL not just the portal -- many other reasons, most of them personal and related to my partner moving clear across the country which really changes a lot of things in terms of where I want to go to school now, so reapplying doesn't look like too horrible of an option since there are plenty of east coast schools I could aim for next cycle :xf:

LOL not just the portal -- many other reasons, most of them personal and related to my partner moving clear across the country which really changes a lot of things in terms of where I want to go to school now, so reapplying doesn't look like too horrible of an option since there are plenty of east coast schools I could aim for next cycle :xf:

First, the portal is not the main place we use. As someone else pointed out we use a completely different site and only access the portal when we need something specific, and from my perspective, once you know where to go, it is actually simple. Second, decide where your priorities are. As a second time applicant and a potential third, unless you significantly increase your overall application (MCAT, significantly improved grades, working experience, Master's, etc) the schools you already sent your application to are not going to take another look at you. I went through two rounds of cycles and found this to be the case for myself. Third, many students here are enduring a long-distance relationship during first year and are surviving because their relationship is strong. You can always apply for a CHC in a region where you think there might be jobs for years 2-4. But if you are truly serious, then it is you who must deal with the results. Please don't attend somewhere you aren't committed too.

Tell them that you want to give me your seat... :) I'll trade you my alternate list spot

First, the portal is not the main place we use. As someone else pointed out we use a completely different site and only access the portal when we need something specific, and from my perspective, once you know where to go, it is actually simple. Second, decide where your priorities are. As a second time applicant and a potential third, unless you significantly increase your overall application (MCAT, significantly improved grades, working experience, Master's, etc) the schools you already sent your application to are not going to take another look at you. I went through two rounds of cycles and found this to be the case for myself. Third, many students here are enduring a long-distance relationship during first year and are surviving because their relationship is strong. You can always apply for a CHC in a region where you think there might be jobs for years 2-4. But if you are truly serious, then it is you who must deal with the results. Please don't attend somewhere you aren't committed too.

I just wanted to echo Johnson, the actual site that we use to access 99% of the material we need is actually called MLO or medical learning online. The portal is an overall site that every student in the entire university gets (meaning audiology, physical therapy, etc.) The MLO site is very robust, and much more professional then the ATSU portal and I like it quite a bit better then Blackboard which is what I used in my undergrad. The other cool thing about MLO is that the site has been built specifically for SOMA. Blackboard is a product marketed to lots of universities so it doesn't always do exactly what it needs to. MLO, on the other hand, is tailor made for SOMA, and does exactly what they want it to do. If it isn't working the way it is supposed to then the powers that be fix it so it does.

Long story shortened, yeah the portal looks pretty bad, but that isn't the website SOMA is really using. We didn't get to see MLO until orientation, but they may pass out passwords sooner then that this year. Hope that makes you feel a little better.

I have to agree 100% with Bruce & Johnson. If you want to waste your time and money reapplying because of a significant other, than go for it because clearly there are lots of others who would take your seat in an instant. I myself am an east-coaster in a committed relationship, and because being a docor is my main life goal and something I place in importance above all other things right now, I would never put that at stake to reapply again thus risking any chance I have at going to medical school. It is true that medical schools will be much more critical of you as a reapplicant, so you must be sure your application is way better than it was originally, aside from just an MCAT score. If your relationship is that committed, you will surely find a way with your significant other. Certainly dont go here if you are not committed, but definitely rethink your plan to reapply if it is only because of your partner.

okay, its been bugging me for a while so i have to ask (and I apologize in advance if these questions are too vague):

-what do current students think of their "online education" thus far?

-how much classroom-style interaction (socializing/networking with fellow students and professors) is there after first year?

-do you grow tired of staring at a computer screen all day long when you need to catch up on lectures?

--any other input/comments (regarding online education) is appreciated...

okay, its been bugging me for a while so i have to ask (and I apologize in advance if these questions are too vague):

-what do current students think of their "online education" thus far?

-how much classroom-style interaction (socializing/networking with fellow students and professors) is there after first year?

-do you grow tired of staring at a computer screen all day long when you need to catch up on lectures?

--any other input/comments (regarding online education) is appreciated...

1) Online lectures? SOOOOOOOO much better than classroom lectures! We all love them. It gives you so much more freedom in how you study. You can fast-forward, pause, and rewind lectures if you miss something that was said all in the comfort of your home or favorite bookstore. You actually get work done. In the classroom most of us just ended up surfing the internet, miss half the things that are said, and generally get bored pretty quickly. Think of it as "lecture recordings" more so than "online education". A lot of colleges and medical schools record lectures that students can view at home (which many students prefer) so this is not really as drastic as it sounds.

2) Interaction? At my CHC we meet with our group 3 times/week for a half day to go over cases, for OMM, review, etc. You're not just sitting home alone all day. You still have classroom and clinical responsibilites. Interaction between CHCs is not as robust unless you are keeping up a personal correspondence with your friends from first year. The good thing about that is that if you ever need to travel to New York, Hawaii, or California you have contacts in those cities and can potential crash on their coach.

3) Tied to the computer? It's the modern age! We all spend large chunks of our lives in front of computers nowadys. The only difference between how long you spend infront of the computer between first and second year is that first year you have to sit in a lecture hall with your computer and second year you can use your computer anywhere you want.

Hey, all of you that have recieved interview invites, what was the turnover time between submitting your secondary and recieving the interview invite? Was it pretty quick or did it take a while? Thanks!

1) Online lectures? SOOOOOOOO much better than classroom lectures! We all love them. It gives you so much more freedom in how you study. You can fast-forward, pause, and rewind lectures if you miss something that was said all in the comfort of your home or favorite bookstore. You actually get work done. In the classroom most of us just ended up surfing the internet, miss half the things that are said, and generally get bored pretty quickly. Think of it as "lecture recordings" more so than "online education". A lot of colleges and medical schools record lectures that students can view at home (which many students prefer) so this is not really as drastic as it sounds.

2) Interaction? At my CHC we meet with our group 3 times/week for a half day to go over cases, for OMM, review, etc. You're not just sitting home alone all day. You still have classroom and clinical responsibilites. Interaction between CHCs is not as robust unless you are keeping up a personal correspondence with your friends from first year. The good thing about that is that if you ever need to travel to New York, Hawaii, or California you have contacts in those cities and can potential crash on their coach.

3) Tied to the computer? It's the modern age! We all spend large chunks of our lives in front of computers nowadys. The only difference between how long you spend infront of the computer between first and second year is that first year you have to sit in a lecture hall with your computer and second year you can use your computer anywhere you want.

Muchas Gracias, Greenshirt--you've been a reliable source of information for many questions concerning SOMA. I really appreciate the time you take to address many of our concerns on here.
I just want to say that as this application cycle ticks onward and is soon closing to an end...the decisions become more and more difficult...but I am glad I have held onto ATSU-SOMA all the while.
The only concern I am facing now is whether or not I will be able to excel in a lecture environment that comes largely from a computer. I have never really liked online classes so I will have to investigate this feature more and more.
And as a much less minor concern, I do wonder about practice rights in foreign countries. I do see myself traveling a lot in the future and although I see myself living in the United States, I cannot say for sure that this is a certainty. But again, this is a minor concern.

Hey, all of you that have recieved interview invites, what was the turnover time between submitting your secondary and recieving the interview invite? Was it pretty quick or did it take a while? Thanks!

File was complete on 12/17 and I received an interview invitation on 1/14.

I'm still debating if I will accept the interview...it's going to cost me a lot to do it...not to mention I don't have any vacation time and so I'll have to forfeit 2 days of pay.

Does anyone know which (if any) of the hotels offer a shuttle to SOMA?

Muchas Gracias, Greenshirt--you've been a reliable source of information for many questions concerning SOMA. I really appreciate the time you take to address many of our concerns on here.
I just want to say that as this application cycle ticks onward and is soon closing to an end...the decisions become more and more difficult...but I am glad I have held onto ATSU-SOMA all the while.
The only concern I am facing now is whether or not I will be able to excel in a lecture environment that comes largely from a computer. I have never really liked online classes so I will have to investigate this feature more and more.
And as a much less minor concern, I do wonder about practice rights in foreign countries. I do see myself traveling a lot in the future and although I see myself living in the United States, I cannot say for sure that this is a certainty. But again, this is a minor concern.

I love that DO's can't practice in Zimbabwe. I can just imagine some minister of health saying, "DO's? I heard those guys are quacks - we can't have them playing doctor in our country. What could OMM do for cholera?"

Last edited:
I love that DO's can't practice in Zimbabwe. The minister of health is quoted as saying, "DO's? I heard those guys are quacks - we can't have them playing doctor in our country. What could OMM do for cholera?"
yeah really...i wish the rest of the world would wake up and get a clue.
Im not looking to hit up zimbabwe so much...but rather im more concerned about certain areas in asia and SE asia. Not to mention random parts of the americas.

hey, i wasn't sure if this would be helpful, but Doctors without Borders (MSF) does, in fact, take DO's as licensed physicians to do international work. Here is more info:
http://www.doctorswithoutborders.org/work/field/faqs.cfm#osteo

So, if you are looking to do a lot of traveling with these types of organizations, you will be fine as a DO. I dont' know much about going individually.

hey, i wasn't sure if this would be helpful, but Doctors without Borders (MSF) does, in fact, take DO's as licensed physicians to do international work. Here is more info:
http://www.doctorswithoutborders.org/work/field/faqs.cfm#osteo

So, if you are looking to do a lot of traveling with these types of organizations, you will be fine as a DO. I dont' know much about going individually.
thanks coptic,
i had no confusion about visiting physicians to foreign countries. I was more interested on the potential transferrability of the DO degree to certain foreign countries.
But if we can sidestep the issue about foreign practice and focus more on SOMA's delivery of their curriculum, I would much appreciate that conversation, as it is of the highest concern to me right now.
and if any students have budgets of their living expenses at their CHCs (especially hawaii), I would love to see the actual amount being expended (as opposed to the school's proposed values).

Last edited:
I got an extension for my deposit, and am still considering this school... I feel it is by far the best 'fit' for me, but have many of the same concerns already expressed by the poster below me.

Can anyone comment on the quality of OMM teaching here? I know the other school I am considering has inferior quality OMT because of their recent class size increase which is a major concern of mine in choosing to attend any DO program. Thanks.

I got an extension for my deposit, and am still considering this school... I feel it is by far the best 'fit' for me, but have many of the same concerns already expressed by the poster below me.

Can anyone comment on the quality of OMM teaching here? I know the other school I am considering has inferior quality OMT because of their recent class size increase which is a major concern of mine in choosing to attend any DO program. Thanks.

is this a joke?

Why would it be a joke?

Your response was in no way helpful, but to answer your question directly, then no, it isn't a joke.

What I think is a joke is to attend any DO program without the desire/inclination to properly learn OMM.

Why would it be a joke?

Your response was in no way helpful, but to answer your question directly, then no, it isn't a joke.

What I think is a joke is to attend any DO program without the desire/inclination to properly learn OMM.

Come on. You don't think you could "properly" learn OMM at any osteopathic school in this country? You must be kidding yourself. You're going to learn the same procedures and techniques regardless and you can even make an extra effort if you have the desire/inclination to do so.

Every program is bound to have its nuances but you're going to make of it what you will even if there happen to be more students in your class than mine.

Actually, I do not think it is the same everywhere, and I do think class size makes a huge difference in terms of what you learn, esp. in OMM. One of the main things that attracts me to this school over any other program (MD or DO) is the small class size, esp. starting from year 2 at ~10 students per CHC. So 10 students vs 250 is a huge difference in my mind. I unfortunately didn't have the chance to attend the OMT class (or OPP as it's called here, I believe) when I shadowed the 2011 class at my CHC of interest and am most interested in hearing back from anyone who has or is a current student here. Thanks.

Actually, I do not think it is the same everywhere, and I do think class size makes a huge difference in terms of what you learn, esp. in OMM. One of the main things that attracts me to this school over any other program (MD or DO) is the small class size, esp. starting from year 2 at ~10 students per CHC. So 10 students vs 250 is a huge difference in my mind. I unfortunately didn't have the chance to attend the OMT class (or OPP as it's called here, I believe) when I shadowed the 2011 class at my CHC of interest and am most interested in hearing back from anyone who has or is a current student here. Thanks.

Well, there you have it then.

Dr. Matt and Renny - what it all really comes down to is the mug we got at the interviews. Make yourselves some nice hot cocoa, sit down by the fire, wrap your hands around the mug, and feel the love of AT. Or a cold smoothie or whatever.

Last edited:
Dr. Matt and Renny - what it all really comes down to is the mug we got at the interviews. Make yourselves a comforting warm drink of cocoa, wrap your hands around the mug, and feel the love of AT.

Wow---you have no idea how influential that coffee mug is!

I have been waking up to its edges brimming with hot coffee/tea ever since I received it back in September. I would look at the school name at least five times a week as I sipped my caffeinated beverage. The repeated exposure of the cup's letters "AT Still University" really did manage to become more and more engraved in my mind as this whole interview season shifted forward through the cold winter months. Very smooth tactic ATSU!

As it currently stands, I have no decision to make, as I am only holding the one acceptance at ATSU-SOMA (and on a waitlist at Creighton). I am pending decisions with Florida International University and Penn State...and have two interviews left to hit up. The least stressful situation would require that I get rejected from everywhere else and I will thus not have any huge decisions to make. The most stressful is I am accepted everywhere else...doubtful but nonetheless, still a scenario I imagine is possible. I fear I won't get any rest in before school starts this summer...

Dr. Matt and Renny - what it all really comes down to is the mug we got at the interviews. Make yourselves a comforting warm drink of cocoa, wrap your hands around the mug, and feel the love of AT.

LOL I love that mug!! I've used it for hot cider, oatmeal, and even cereal on the go, haha. But all joking aside, I also felt the admissions office here was the easiest to approach, friendly, flexible, and know their students really well. Argh this is so tough!

Oh, and good luck Matt :)

Can anyone comment (any pro's or con's) on sending a letter of intent/interest if on the alternate list.

Hi everyone. I've been reading this thread for a few weeks now, and I never posted myself. :) I've especially noted the activeness of Renny, DrMatt, and Bruce haha.
Anyways, I have not been so fortunate to receive an acceptance, but that's because my interview is this Monday, the 26th. Do you guys have any words of advice? I'm usually confident in interviews, but so much rides on this and the uncertainty of some questions are kind of intimidating. I've been studying the site as well as the catalog, and have to go over my application and some medical issues. Thanks for any advice. Have a good one.

Hi everyone. I've been reading this thread for a few weeks now, and I never posted myself. :) I've especially noted the activeness of Renny, DrMatt, and Bruce haha.
Anyways, I have not been so fortunate to receive an acceptance, but that's because my interview is this Monday, the 26th. Do you guys have any words of advice? I'm usually confident in interviews, but so much rides on this and the uncertainty of some questions are kind of intimidating. I've been studying the site as well as the catalog, and have to go over my application and some medical issues. Thanks for any advice. Have a good one.

As cliche as this sounds, I think honesty is the best policy for your interview. For example, during my file review, I got asked about my DO LOR, and I straight up told them that I never actually shadowed the doc who wrote me the letter and that he basically did me a huge favor so I could move on with the application process (I had other shadowing experiences but no LOR from those physicians).

For some of the more difficult ethical questions, I paused a lot and really took my time to formulate my responses which I think they appreciate more than just spitting out the first few things that come to mind and then having to defend them.
I wrote a very detailed interview feedback here if you haven't already looked over the questions -

http://more.studentdoctor.net/viewinterview.php?interview=27659

Good luck at your interview!

Status
Not open for further replies.