Auburn c/o 2020 applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm a KY resident that interviewed today. The interview was really relaxed, most questions were asked based off of my application. So is recommend just reviewing your application to make sure you're completely familiar with it. You'll be fine. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Interview in the morning! I'm trying to keep myself cool, calm and collected but it's making me even more nervous!

Hey guys!

I'm an IS headed to Auburn right now for my interview tomorrow. This is my first year applying and my first/only interview I was offered this year. I'm really really nervous... any advice or tips from those of you who have already interviewed here- specifically those of you who got in? Any tips and advice would be appreciated!! Thanks!

Sorry this might be late lol but I interviewed as an out of state already and got in. The interview is SUPER relaxed but be prepared to talk about your application and "why Auburn". Maybe that question came up because Im out of state but overall very relaxed and my interviewer actually took 8minutes just explaining to me how to survive my first year there at Auburn haha, loved them.

Members don't see this ad :)
Did they only ask questions referring to your application or were there others outside of that?

Sorry this might be late lol but I interviewed as an out of state already and got in. The interview is SUPER relaxed but be prepared to talk about your application and "why Auburn". Maybe that question came up because Im out of state but overall very relaxed and my interviewer actually took 8minutes just explaining to me how to survive my first year there at Auburn haha, loved them.

Did they only ask questions referring to you application or were there others outside of that?

Did they only ask questions referring to you application or were there others outside of that?

There were a lot of questions about my vet experiences but somewhat broad, talked about my experiences outside of vet med, why auburn instead of Fl (my IS), and then just relaxed conversation about what i love to do on my spare time and how i handle stress. Im a boat broker in florida and we talked about that for a while because he loved boats haha, it was a very fun and easy going interview.

Hey did Kaye tell anyone when AL and KY residents will hear back?

Hey did Kaye tell anyone when AL and KY residents will hear back?

Yes. She said the dean is out of town Monday and Tuesday, so we would most likely hear back Wednesday. However, she did say there is a small possibility of hearing back before then.

Safest bet is Wednesday. Emails and calls are sent/made on the same day.

Thank you so much! Talking with a current student will definitely help. Keep me posted on your second visit findings :)

SO my second visit was actually a lot better than my first, and I think that is mainly because I originally had a tour by a 2nd year student that was like "this is this, and that is that. classes are cool. blah." This second visit Dr. Hendrix gave our tour and it was exponentially better! I got the rest of my questions answered and basically it made my decision much easier.

Hope this helps! :)

For any OOS..have you received an email or any other information regarding your acceptance?? I have only gotten the phone call from Kaye.

For any OOS..have you received an email or any other information regarding your acceptance?? I have only gotten the phone call from Kaye.

Yes, I got an email the same day.

It said:
February 15, 2016

Congratulations! You have been selected by the Committee on Admissions and Standards for enrollment in the College of Veterinary Medicine at Auburn University. Your acceptance is provisional pending satisfactory completion of all course work now in progress with a grade of "C" or better and completion of all required course work prior to June 15, 2016. A final transcript should be sent immediately after spring semester.

It is important that you inform the Committee of your decision to accept or reject this offer in writing (by letter or email to [email protected]) at your earliest convenience but no later than April 15, 2016. Alternates have been selected, and it is only fair that each of them receive the courtesy of an early invitation in the event that you choose not to accept. Upon receiving a positive response from you, we will provide more detailed information relative to your enrollment after May 9, 2016.

Saturday, April 16th is the annual College of Veterinary Medicine Open House. We hope you will be able to attend. On that day we host a special session for members of the incoming class and and any family members who join them. This is an optional event. If you are able to attend, please join us in room 101 of the Veterinary Education Center at 9:00 a.m. Central Time.

On behalf of the members of the Admissions Committee, I welcome you into our "Auburn veterinary family" and look forward to our years together.

Sincerely,

M. Daniel Givens, DVM, PhD, DACT, DACVM

Associate Dean for Academic Affairs

I just heard from my advisor this morning. I thought the rest of the Kentucky applicants would want to know this information. If Governor Bevin's budget passes, we will be reduced to 16 spots at Auburn and it will affect those of us that just interviewed. My advisor urged us to contact our representatives and tell them to oppose the proposed budget.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 2 users
I just heard from my advisor this morning. I thought the rest of the Kentucky applicants would want to know this information. If Governor Bevin's budget passes, we will be reduced to 16 spots at Auburn and it will affect those of us that just interviewed. My advisor urged us to contact our representatives and tell them to oppose the proposed budget.

I tend to keep my posts pretty formal....

but...

that. just. sucks.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, I got an email the same day.

It said:
February 15, 2016

Congratulations! You have been selected by the Committee on Admissions and Standards for enrollment in the College of Veterinary Medicine at Auburn University. Your acceptance is provisional pending satisfactory completion of all course work now in progress with a grade of "C" or better and completion of all required course work prior to June 15, 2016. A final transcript should be sent immediately after spring semester.

It is important that you inform the Committee of your decision to accept or reject this offer in writing (by letter or email to [email protected]) at your earliest convenience but no later than April 15, 2016. Alternates have been selected, and it is only fair that each of them receive the courtesy of an early invitation in the event that you choose not to accept. Upon receiving a positive response from you, we will provide more detailed information relative to your enrollment after May 9, 2016.

Saturday, April 16th is the annual College of Veterinary Medicine Open House. We hope you will be able to attend. On that day we host a special session for members of the incoming class and and any family members who join them. This is an optional event. If you are able to attend, please join us in room 101 of the Veterinary Education Center at 9:00 a.m. Central Time.

On behalf of the members of the Admissions Committee, I welcome you into our "Auburn veterinary family" and look forward to our years together.

Sincerely,

M. Daniel Givens, DVM, PhD, DACT, DACVM

Associate Dean for Academic Affairs
Thank you!!

Did any AL or KY residents hear back today? I know Kaye said it should be tomorrow but she said they may let some people know today.

Did any AL or KY residents hear back today? I know Kaye said it should be tomorrow but she said they may let some people know today.

Nothing here.

With the KY budget situation I'm going to guess that they'll take as long as possible to see how it plays out before making calls. Although, I'm assuming they'll stick to their promise and start calling some tomorrow.

Does anyone know a round about time of the day that they start calling KY applicants. Like after lunch, evening, or whichever?

I just heard back! I'm in! IS :) Congrats and good luck to others!

KY Accepted at 10:08 eastern time. I have a budget dependent seat. So, if the budget passes, I'll pay out of state.

I'm in as well on a KY budget seat. Got the call at 10:26 EST. Has anyone already contacted their representative for the budget? I'm going to try my best to get everyone I know to contact them and oppose it. But I am beyond excited to be accepted.

KY budget dependent seat accepted! I was called around 10:45.

KY budget seat accepted! I just contacted my legislators to ask them to fight for this not to pass. Bitter sweet for sure. 100,000 to over 200,000. Yikes!!

Best wishes to all the KY residents on the budget situation! I was notified this morning I am chosen as an alternate IS. Fingers crossed some accepted IS students decide on other schools!

I have contacted my rep and senator, I have contacted my local paper (they are interested in a story), and my local Cattleman's association let me speak at their meeting last night. Today, the Kentucky Cattleman's Assoc. will be contacted. My local beef cattle farmers have our backs y'all.

I have contacted my rep and senator, I have contacted my local paper (they are interested in a story), and my local Cattleman's association let me speak at their meeting last night. Today, the Kentucky Cattleman's Assoc. will be contacted. My local beef cattle farmers have our backs y'all.

Thanks!! It will be worth it if we all do what we can so the budget does not pass!

I was just offered an in state seat (KY resident) about an hour ago... so they are still making phone calls.

Also wrote my legislators... cutting those seats is absurd. From what I have heard, the budget isn't really that popular between democrats and republicans alike.

Did anyone else see Bevin's facebook video the other day?

Hey guys, just wanted to let you OOS people on the waitlist know that I will be declining my seat. I was accepted to my IS school. I hope one of you get it! Good luck!

Reactions: 2 users
Ive only seen posts about KY residents, the rest of the in state applicants heard yet? Have all the interviews occurred already?

Last edited:
Ive only seen posts about KY residents, the rest of the in state applicants heard yet? Have all the interviews occurred already?

In state students interviewed the time days (Feb 29-Mar 4) as KY residents and heard back on the same day, last Wednesday. I'm IS and am currently an alternate :(

In state students interviewed the time days (Feb 29-Mar 4) as KY residents and heard back on the same day, last Wednesday. I'm IS and am currently an alternate :(

Oh i see, such little activity here on the forum thought people may have not heard yet. And I'm sorry :( but hey hey, you're an alternate and not rejected which means you're still in the running! Good luck!! Hope you get called!

Last edited:
I have decided to decline my KY budget-dependent seat. I hope someone on this website gets my spot off of the waitlist!

I have decided to decline my KY budget-dependent seat. I hope someone on this website gets my spot off of the waitlist!

You're not going to wait and see how the budget turns out?

Are you going to attend an OOS school instead?

You're not going to wait and see how the budget turns out?

Are you going to attend an OOS school instead?

No I'm not, for multiple reasons. 1) I'm not really optimistic about the budget situation because the governor has said that he will veto any budget that takes money away from pension plans. If the budget turns out according to his plan, Auburn would be more expensive than other options I have. 2) I didn't feel as comfortable at Auburn than at other schools. It's extremely far away from any family and friends and my support system outside of classmates would be zilch. 3) I have more opportunities in my field of interest at other schools.

Yes, I'm going to a school that lets me get IS tuition after the first year though. If the budget doesn't pass and I would have gotten IS tuition, then oh well. It's a risk I'm willing to (and am) taking.

No I'm not, for multiple reasons. 1) I'm not really optimistic about the budget situation because the governor has said that he will veto any budget that takes money away from pension plans. If the budget turns out according to his plan, Auburn would be more expensive than other options I have. 2) I didn't feel as comfortable at Auburn than at other schools. It's extremely far away from any family and friends and my support system outside of classmates would be zilch. 3) I have more opportunities in my field of interest at other schools.

Yes, I'm going to a school that lets me get IS tuition after the first year though. If the budget doesn't pass and I would have gotten IS tuition, then oh well. It's a risk I'm willing to (and am) taking.

All valid reasons.

Do you mind me asking what school you plan on attending instead and what field of interest you're looking at?

All valid reasons.

Do you mind me asking what school you plan on attending instead and what field of interest you're looking at?

No, I don't mind at all. I decided to attend Ohio State and I'm interested in pathology.

I was accepted OOS but just declined my spot! Hope anyone who is waiting a decision gets it! :)

Hey everyone, I gave up my OOS Auburn seat so I hope someone here gets it!

Anyone accepted hear from Mrs Kaye other than, "welcome to the Auburn Family, you will receive more info in march" ? I haven't heard of any deposit etc.

Just accepted my OOS spot, can't wait to meet you all!

I just got the call- I'm off the waitlist!!! I got in!!! SO excited I started crying on the phone with Mrs. Kaye!! Are any of you guys on here going to the open house?

I just got the call- I'm off the waitlist!!! I got in!!! SO excited I started crying on the phone with Mrs. Kaye!! Are any of you guys on here going to the open house?

Yep! Ill be at Open House! A group of incoming students were trying to organize a little "after party" so everyone can meet each other. I think its just going downtown after the open house but not 100% sure. Congrats!!

Congrats!!!! Are you OOS?

Yep! Ill be at Open House! A group of incoming students were trying to organize a little "after party" so everyone can meet each other. I think its just going downtown after the open house but not 100% sure. Congrats!!
Thank you! I've heard that too. I'm sure we'll all just meet and plan something at open house :)

I have been following you guys on here this whole process! I am applying this fall to Auburn (IS), and I am on pins and needles! I will have all of the pre-reqs to apply for the 2017 cycle, but I am not going to look super competitive IMO. Do any of you accepted ISers care to post a few stats and/or tips about applying? :)

Just accepted my KY IS state! War Eagle!

I have been following you guys on here this whole process! I am applying this fall to Auburn (IS), and I am on pins and needles! I will have all of the pre-reqs to apply for the 2017 cycle, but I am not going to look super competitive IMO. Do any of you accepted ISers care to post a few stats and/or tips about applying? :)

Well I'm OOS so it can actually be a little more competitive for me. And Ill say that my GPA was not very high (3.49) and my GRE was pretty average. But I had some things that made me unique and stand out. They want to see people who shine in more than just vet med too, in other jobs etc. So find something that makes you unique and build on that!

I'm IS, and I also felt like I didn't have a competitive application, simply because I thought I had a lot less hands-on experience than other people--and I was only a kennel technician, not really in the surgery room much. So my advice is to work, work, work! Get those hours of experience, BUT also keep your grades up. I applied with a 3.89 GPA I believe, and my GRE was like 155/154 (pretty average). Be yourself, and if you have any opportunities to do research (I'm doing a thesis project on birds) or anything unique (study abroad), then do those things, too! I know that seems overwhelming, but I changed my major my junior year, last year, of undergrad so I know what it feels like to have to rush to catch up. I completely changed career paths. But I managed it, and so you totally can too. I even made time to study abroad the first semester of my senior year, so I feel like anything is possible lol. When it comes to the interview, relax. Be yourself. And wear something that isn't the normal black or navy pants suit/suit skirt maybe just to stand out a little more (but keep it professional obviously).

Anyways, good luck to you next year! I'll be able to tell you more when it gets closer to time :)

Well I'm OOS so it can actually be a little more competitive for me. And Ill say that my GPA was not very high (3.49) and my GRE was pretty average. But I had some things that made me unique and stand out. They want to see people who shine in more than just vet med too, in other jobs etc. So find something that makes you unique and build on that!
Thank you so much for your response! I am actually changing careers (from chemistry) so I work full time and then shadow after work and on weekends. It makes for very long days, but I honestly can say I am working extremely hard toward my goals. Congrats on your acceptance! :clap: