Auburn University c/o 2021 Applicants!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Have any other interview dates heard back yet?

Members don't see this ad.

OOS Accepted!!! I interviewed 1/31 with Nova. Received my call around 12:30 EST

Reactions: 1 user
Has anyone heard anything recently? I interviewed with Nova, 2/1 and haven't heard anything :(

Members don't see this ad :)
I think its so weird that no one with a later interview date has been accepted yet:wtf:

I interviewed with Spirit on 2/7 and I haven't heard anything yet either :/

Just got an email that I am on the waitlist. Interviewed 2/7 with Nova

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
For those OOS who were accepted would you mind sharing your stats and vet experience?
Yes please interested as well because I thought I had a really good interview but I guess if my stats weren't great compared to others that would explain.

Yes please interested as well because I thought I had a really good interview but I guess if my stats weren't great compared to others that would explain.
Fl resident, 3.6 cumulative, 3.8 upper level, 300 GRE, 4 analytical, 30,000+hours animal experience (grew up owning horses and competing nationally in rodeo and hunter/jumper shows), almost 2000 hrs vet work (over multiple summers at Texas A&M Equine Embryo Lab, Lexington Equine Surgery, VCA Hollywood, many ambulatory vets, etc...), 100+ hrs with research project design at A&M, 4 recs (2 from A&M supervisors, 1 from a CSU grad/equine surgeon, 1 from a Spanish professor), and my best interview to date

Reactions: 1 users
FL Resident , 3.7 cumulative, 3.7 Science, 3.95 Last 45 Credit Hours, GRE 320, 150 Hours of Animal Experience (Puny I know), 700 + Hours of Vet experience split between Mixed Animal, Shelter Med, Equine Med, and Exotica, 200 Hours Research w/ own project at College of Medicine at my Undergrad., EMT for 3 years, and 5 LOR ( 2 Vets, my Primary Investigator, Biology Department ahead, and Professor), and like the previous poster best interview to date; I had a lot in common with the interviewers and it felt like a very fluid conversation from one question to the next.

Reactions: 4 users
New York Resident- 3.74 cumulative GPA, 3.76 Science, 308 GRE, over 2000+ vet experience working for 8 years at a vet hospital that does dogs, cats, exotics, and wildlife. Interned at a zoo for a summer, studied abroad and took large animal vet med course, shadowed a large animal vet for a few weeks, participated in sled dog genetics research for a year. Volunteered at events such as feline cat shows and fundraising events for animals whenever I could!

Reactions: 3 users
OOS alternate but here's my quick stats. Gpa: 3.83, science: 3.76, last 45: 3.87. GRE: 309+3.5 writing. Vet hours: 700 between shelter and some equine (this is what killed me this cycle). Animal hours: 250 between shelter, equine, wildlife. 800+ hours in leadership roles. Research: 250 hours. Working: over 3000. 100+ volunteer hours. Multiple honors, awards and scholarships.

Ok reading this I think I know what I have to do. I need experience in other animals. I have a lot of vet experience and animal experience but it's all small animals and a lot of it in shelters. My gre is 305 so I'll probably study again and retake it. I have decent research experience. So the main thing you all have in common is varied animal experience. I still have Purdue to hear from but it's not looking too promising so i'll probably be reapplying for 2022.

Ok reading this I think I know what I have to do. I need experience in other animals. I have a lot of vet experience and animal experience but it's all small animals and a lot of it in shelters. My gre is 305 so I'll probably study again and retake it. I have decent research experience. So the main thing you all have in common is varied animal experience. I still have Purdue to hear from but it's not looking too promising so i'll probably be reapplying for 2022.
I'm in the same boat. I am lacking the large animal experience as well. All of my hours are at a shelter and small animal private practice. My GRE is also 305.

I'm in the same boat. I am lacking the large animal experience as well. All of my hours are at a shelter and small animal private practice. My GRE is also 305.
Thanks to everyone for sharing your stats. It helps in evaluating my own. And, congratulations on your acceptances!

Reactions: 2 users
During my interview, my interviewers actually commended me for my varied experience with both large and small animal. I've always wanted to practice large animal medicine but there weren't any large animal clinics in my home town, so I worked at small animal clinics until I was able to move towns after finishing my undergrad. I didn't realize that they put that much stock into it until my interview!

Texas resident
GRE: 156 V - 153 Q - 4.0 A
GPA: 3.8 overall, 3.85 science , 3.91 last 45
Animal Experience: 1,000+ hrs showing for national collegiate horse team
Vet experience: 2,000+ hrs split between large and small animals (large animal was mostly reproduction and cloning work)
Work: 3000 hrs non animal related work
Research: 100 hours of research split between a cattle cloning research project and heifer dystocia
Volunteer: 150 hrs mostly spent volunteering for rodeos and shows

I also didn't include any personal animal ownership hours, I know some do and some don't.

I still have Purdue to hear from but it's not looking too promising so i'll probably be reapplying for 2022.

I still haven't heard back from Purdue either.
I'm waiting to hear from A&M, my instate, and I'm really hoping I get in there since tuition is sooooo much cheaper.

I didn't get in anywhere last year, and I'm honestly so glad I didn't. (Even though I wasn't at the time!) It gave me a chance to move and work at an amazing clinic that I wouldn't have gotten to work at otherwise. (You guys, I got to flush and transfer equine embryos. Like, myself. Me! How cool is that?!) I got so much experience and I didn't realize how much I had matured in the year off until I was interviewing this time around. I definitely understand the frustration and disappointment of not getting in! It feels like you spend every single moment of your life just checking off requirements for vet school. But you made it through the interview!! That's a really big deal. I think sometimes we forget how cool that is since its not really the end goal, but its still a major accomplishment! So to everyone that interviewed and heard back today (good or bad) congratulations!!! We're all gonna be amazing vets some day soon:)

Last edited:
Does anyone know how much the OOS waitlist normally moves or how many are waitlisted total?

Does anyone know how much the OOS waitlist normally moves or how many are waitlisted total?
I was wondering the same! I looked at last years thread, and it seems that the OOS waitlist moves faster than the IS, which makes sense. It sucks they don't tell us where we stand on the waitlist.

I was wondering the same! I looked at last years thread, and it seems that the OOS waitlist moves faster than the IS, which makes sense. It sucks they don't tell us where we stand on the waitlist.
Well that's good! I wouldn't think it would move that much because they initially offer 80 positions for 40 spots so 40 people would have to decline before they even start pulling from the waitlist

Has anyone that was accepted or selected as an alternate and needs to complete the Animal Nutrition requirement by June 15th, have you selected a course or researched courses? There are several threads on this board about this, but most are pretty old. I have already graduated, so I am looking for an on-line course that is self-paced and not dependent on enrolling for a particular term. Tajuan indicated that there are several courses like this available when I talked to him about it after my interview!

Purdue has an online self paced course. The term ends May 6th. That's what I am planning to take :)

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Has anyone that was accepted or selected as an alternate and needs to complete the Animal Nutrition requirement by June 15th, have you selected a course or researched courses? There are several threads on this board about this, but most are pretty old. I have already graduated, so I am looking for an on-line course that is self-paced and not dependent on enrolling for a particular term. Tajuan indicated that there are several courses like this available when I talked to him about it after my interview!
Saint Petersburg college in FL has a summer Animal Nutrition course

Congrats yall on the acceptances and making waitlist!! I'm IS and interviews aren't until week of March 6th!!

OOS Alternate and already declined the offer as I was accepted into my in-state. I also took animal nutrition through Oklahoma State and thought it was pretty good.

Hello! I was selected as an alternate and am currently enrolled in Animal Nutrition (ANSI 3543E) through Oklahoma State. They allow you one year from your signup date to complete the course; therefore, it is entirely self-paced.

Anyone have any apartment recommendations? Pet friendly :)
A lot of vet students live in Crossland downs, an apt complex across fro AUCVM, also living in trailers is pretty popular. I take class and work at the vet school, so I get the emails from the CVM bulletin and the 4th years have been posting trying to lease their places, so I can send any that come up!

A lot of vet students live in Crossland downs, an apt complex across fro AUCVM, also living in trailers is pretty popular. I take class and work at the vet school, so I get the emails from the CVM bulletin and the 4th years have been posting trying to lease their places, so I can send any that come up!
Thanks!!

OOS and just declined my seat so hopefully some one will get off the waitlist!

Hi everyone! Long time SDN lurker here, but I come bearing good news for alternates! I'm OOS, interviewed with Valor on 2/6 and was initially waitlisted, but I received a call yesterday around noon that I was accepted!!!

Hi everyone! Long time SDN lurker here, but I come bearing good news for alternates! I'm OOS, interviewed with Valor on 2/6 and was initially waitlisted, but I received a call yesterday around noon that I was accepted!!!
Wow how awesome!! Thanks for sharing

Wow I am surprised they have already started calling alternates before the april date!

Last edited:
Congrats btw!!! Did they give you a time frame you have to decide? And did they tell you where you stood on the waitlist at all? Just looking for some insight!

Congrats btw!!! Did they give you a time frame you have to decide? And did they tell you where you stood on the waitlist at all? Just looking for some insight!
Thanks! Officially I have until the April 15 deadline to decide (same as if I had been initially accepted), but they asked that I reply as soon as I can so that they can continue to offer spots to alternates. They didn't give me any indication of where I was on the waitlist, but I'm guessing some admitted applicants must have already declined for me to get pulled off so quickly. I'm still waiting to here from my IS (Illinois), but I will keep my fingers crossed for you guys!

Thanks! Officially I have until the April 15 deadline to decide (same as if I had been initially accepted), but they asked that I reply as soon as I can so that they can continue to offer spots to alternates. They didn't give me any indication of where I was on the waitlist, but I'm guessing some admitted applicants must have already declined for me to get pulled off so quickly. I'm still waiting to here from my IS (Illinois), but I will keep my fingers crossed for you guys!
Well goodluck! Thank you for the insight and for letting us know :)

My interview is on Monday, nervous and excited at the same time. Anyone that's already interviewed, did you feel like your interview was very low stress? Any super tough questions?

My interview is on Monday, nervous and excited at the same time. Anyone that's already interviewed, did you feel like your interview was very low stress? Any super tough questions?
Very conversational but expect questions on the weak points on your application.

I can't believe you're still waiting to hear from a school! What a killer wait. Good luck!!

Did anyone bring clothes to change into after your interview for the tour? I will have some down time between my interview and the financial aid session and also the campus tour. If so, what kind of clothes?

My interview was close enough after the tour that I didn't change. Most people were still in their suits. There were two girls in leggings and t-shirts, but I would recommend at least wearing something a little nicer than that. I think jeans and a nice shirt would be okay. The family comes on the tour too, so it doesn't have to be a super professional.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Last edited: