AVC Applicants c/o 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I haven't been ranked yet!:eek: I got an email this week telling me they hadn't gotten my gre scores yet when I thought those were long gone. Onr frantic call to ets later my scores have been sent again so I hope to get that "ominous" email soon :xf:

On another note of rediculous accounts of people getting in, my boss' son got in without an interview!!! Is that even possible?? I know he is a super genius but I just found that a little shocking, has anybody else heard of cases like this?

Members don't see this ad.

I remember there being a thread on another forum about a Canadian who had trouble getting into vet school. I'm fuzzy on the details. She didn't name any schools, but she applied to vet school 4 or 5 times on one side of the country and never got an interview. She then got into med school. Before she did her residency, she applied again. She was rejected again. She moved to the other side of the country. She applied to the vet school there. She was accepted but decided to finish her residency. She then applied the following year. She didn't get an interview. She argued it, got an interview, and got accepted.

It's mind boggling.

On another note of rediculous accounts of people getting in, my boss' son got in without an interview!!! Is that even possible?? I know he is a super genius but I just found that a little shocking, has anybody else heard of cases like this?

Got into AVC? I wouldn't think so. The interview is 30% of your score, so I don't see how they'd possible let you in without having met you. I know some American/UK/Caribbean (I think) schools do admittance without interviews.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have an interview on the 16th also! Last year it was just 3 students each day interviewing. I'm flying into Halifax, NS and driving up to PEI. It's definitely not cheap to get up there. After the interview I'll be driving back to Halifax and staying with some cousins overnight and flying out Thursday morning. I look forward to meeting you! Feel free to PM me and I'll let you know my name.
Oh I would have loved to have known somebody there! I am sorry to report back though that I cancelled my interview. I was accepted to Kansas State and decided to give up my interview seat. As much as I'd like to see the campus and PEI (which I've heard is beautiful), it's a lot of money to travel out there, I really like Kansas, and hopefully someone else gets my interview invitation!

Does anyone know anything about competition for WCVM?

I have relatives in BC, so taking undergrad courses or working out there might now be an option for me.

I wouldnt move to BC. Too many applicants. Alberta is even worse. Maybe Manitoba would be a shot. Moving to PEI for a year to give it a good shot would be a good idea. If you don't get in after that, go to grad school. You could always re-do your 10 science prereqs in the future and try again if you don't like what you're doing. Sounds horrible perhaps but it's an option. I worked 10y doing something else before coming back to the vet plan. Tried to get into WCVM in 1999. I had 83 average or so. Ended up doing an MSc in Halifax after not getting in. My friend who did get in after 4 tries has her own practice now in BC. Doing my prereqs in my 30s was a breeze. Got 90s.

Not sure about jobs here in PEI. I'm trying to get one myself at school. Should be volunteer opportunities at least and non-animal work. Buses in town are pretty good. Should be lots of sublets available this summer. Vet students will start snapping up places as they get accepted. I have to find a new pet friendly place and roommates too because I live too far away right now.

There were a few deferrals last year so not sure how many are getting accepted from NS this year. I think it would be worth it to move here for a year but find out the acceptance stats from PEI first.

78 for 20 spots is not much different from 57 for 13 spots.

I'd totally move to PEI if I could find a job that will help me pay off my student loan, rent and living expenses. If I moved to BC, at least I wouldn't have to deal with rent :/

78 for 20 spots is not much different from 57 for 13 spots.
True, small diffs in seat:applicant ratio are trivial compared to how each school's admissions criteria favours you specifically. Cumulative GPA doesn't matter one bit at AVC for example, as you know.
I'd look very very closely at the criteria for each canadian school as well as any average admissions stats you can squeeze out of ad reps through email.

So while you guys are all getting your ominous emails, I got an email telling me they still hadn't gotten my GRE scores :eek: I thought that was taken care of a long time ago. Anyway one frantic call to ets later and my scores will hopefully be there asap :xf:

On the topic of ridiculous admissions stories, my boss's son got into the AVC without an interview! I knew he was a super genius but is that even possible?? Anybody else ever heard of this?

Okay so I am so lame, I thought the original post didn't go through, sorry for the repeat guys :D

Regarding the GRE scores. It doesn't surprise me. I thought my scores getting lost last year was a one-off, but it looks like it's pretty common. I don't know if the problem is on ETS end or on AVC's, but someone's gotta fix that system.

you guys are scaring me.

Figure it's too late to request another score report anyhow, so I guess I've just gotta hope mine reaches AVC (took it Jan 20th, Due Feb 28th) or else I will have wasted an entire application year.

I'm feeling lucky

I thought that AVC is pretty good when it comes to stuff getting lost in the mail.

Glad mine made it in one piece... I even got a letter from them the day it was received at PEI, but I agree, ETS should get their act together!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey all,
I am an SDN lurker, havent posted too many times, but appreciate all of the information here for everyone!

I just received an Interview invite via email today for AVC!
I am a student in New York City (FL resident) and I have to confirm my interview date soon.

Any other US applicants looking into flights to get to AVC? Everything I looked up from the New York area is 400+ for flights! Does anyone have any suggestions at all?

Does AVC possibly do regional interviews or do we have to make the expensive trek up there?

Hey all,
I am an SDN lurker, havent posted too many times, but appreciate all of the information here for everyone!

I just received an Interview invite via email today for AVC!
I am a student in New York City (FL resident) and I have to confirm my interview date soon.

Any other US applicants looking into flights to get to AVC? Everything I looked up from the New York area is 400+ for flights! Does anyone have any suggestions at all?

Does AVC possibly do regional interviews or do we have to make the expensive trek up there?

Only in person interviews, but around 400 is good price for airfare actually. Take it! Or drive, but it's very snowy lately. I've heard NY students in my class today saying they are paying quite a bit more to go home for mid semester break. It's a good school, so if you're ok with the tuition fees you should come check it out.

Oh a tip I heard, airfares online might be cheaper (to purchase not fly) Tuesdays or Wednesdays. Also, Westjet has some direct flights from Toronto to Charlottetown.

My GRE scores have been received :) :luck:
I can rest a little easier

Just a little OT: anyone planning on going to the APICS conference? Maybe those of us who are going can meet up at some point? Just PM me if interested :)

I too, have been ranked! 21 more days!

What exactly is the APICS conference? I tried to google it but that didn't help:oops:

This is like the only site I could find: http://emaychair.dal.ca/apics/index.php?option=com_content&view=frontpage&Itemid=1&lang=en

It's the annual aquaculture and fisheries, biology and environmental studies conference. It's basically a weekend filled with students in each of those fields presenting their research. I've gone the past two years and just got the heads up that I'm doing a presentation this year. It's a lot of fun... there are speakers, oral presentations, poster presentations and a cool banquet (there was a tuba quartet last year!!!) It's also a great place to talk to other students and meet people.

(Was that too much information to put on a public forum? If so, I can remove it)

Last edited:
Awesome!!

I'll pm you with details once I find them out. The only time I'll get to have outside of the group is Saturday night after the banquet. Those who have already presented like to go out drinking that night... and... well... since I'm doing a poster and have to present it all the time, I'd rather not go out with the group and get back at 4am lol.

I'm super excited!

You can come out with me and get back at 4am instead! (JK, I'm lame. I went on the micro society brewery tour last weekend. Four beer in two hours and I was done.) Hopefully we'll be celebrating AVC interview invites that weekend. :xf:

Hopefully we'll be celebrating AVC interview invites that weekend. :xf:

You just had to remind me of that lol.

:xf::xf::xf:

I get to buy a new outfit for the event. I'm pumped!

The last two conferences were brutal because the time went ahead those weekends. So, when I tell you that we got in at 4am... it was really 5am... and we had to be at the conference for 9. Both years, I fell asleep during the final keynote speaker, after having two cups of coffee :sleep:

I got invited for an interview on February 16! I had no idea how difficult it would be to get there though! What are other U.S. students doing in terms of traveling? I will be going alone, so I was hoping to fly directly to Charlottetown, but this seems to be a long and expensive trip. Congrats to other interviewees! I would love to plan an SDN meetup if any of you will visiting at the same time I am.

For those of you who have interviewed already, how do you think it went? I had mine Feb 18th and I really liked the school! My interview was 8-10 questions... I think they asked me extra questions whenever my answer didn't show what they were looking for. It seemed like the faculty really get to know everyone at the school, which I liked.

For those of you who have interviewed already, how do you think it went? I had mine Feb 18th and I really liked the school! My interview was 8-10 questions... I think they asked me extra questions whenever my answer didn't show what they were looking for. It seemed like the faculty really get to know everyone at the school, which I liked.

My interview isn't until March 2 (so late!) so I can't be of much help. What did you like about AVC? :)

For those of you who have interviewed already (this year or previously), did you wear your interview outfit for the entire day, or just change into it before your actual interview? We have the tour scheduled for 11am, then lunch at 11:45 and then my interview isn't until 2:30pm. I'm wondering if I should wear something nice but more relaxed than my suit for the tour/lunch, or if I should wear it the whole time. Thoughts?

I just stayed in it for the whole day. I don't know if there'd really be chance to go change. Lunch is with the head of admissions, so I wanted to look nice for that. Of course, my suit had a lot of stretch in it, so it was pretty comfortable. Just wish I could have ditched the heels!

Hey all!
Anyone else interviewing on March 2nd?
I am flying out from NYC tomorrow around 11am and I was just checking up on the weather in PEI and severe snow is in the forecast....how scared should we be??

Atlantic peeps: Approximately 10 days to go to see whether or not we get our interviews....and that's only the first hurdle! I feel like I'm officially driving myself crazy and I've never chewed my nails so much! I'm already checking my email every 30 mins. I can only imagine how crazy I'll get if I get an interview and I'm waiting for my acceptance.....or worse being called off the wait list!

I'm finding myself getting increasingly addicted to SDN and that doesn't seem to be helping the situation. Hopefully, the rest of you aren't going as crazy as I am!

Good luck to those who already know about their interviews!

Around this time last year, my post office randomly decided to stop giving me mail and started sending them back to the sender.

Let's pray they don't do this to me this year lol.

Ok...work has prevented me from posting because I have been soooo busy. I alone with many of you received and incomplete file alert...this exact thing happened to me last year...and i had to fix an issue of confusion..but good news is I have an interview. I am headed up there next week. It was supposed to be earlier but I couldn't make it with work. I am so excited to go back to PEI. Good luck to everyone! Anyone who as interviewed already have an idea on # interviewed and # accepted? I leave Friday whoop whoop!

Just as I thought, my interview scheduled for tomorrow at 2:30pm. Made the journey from NYC this morning, only to get to Montreal and all flights to Charlottetown were canceled. Emailed and called to reschedule, but am now back in NYC after an entire day in Montreal airport....... Here's to the next one

Oh my gosh....I feel for you. I can't even imagine that frustration! And what a let down. Are you going to be able to go back?

Just as I thought, my interview scheduled for tomorrow at 2:30pm. Made the journey from NYC this morning, only to get to Montreal and all flights to Charlottetown were canceled. Emailed and called to reschedule, but am now back in NYC after an entire day in Montreal airport....... Here's to the next one

That's what happened to me, too! I made it to Philly and then all flights were cancelled from there. Everyone was so nice and understanding and I got rescheduled for March 10th.

anyone know or remember from last year when atlantic canadians received their letters for an interview?

anyone know or remember from last year when atlantic canadians received their letters for an interview?

I didn't apply last year but Jack said they send them out for around the 10th.

The days are dragging aren't they?

I WANT TO KNOW NOW! I'm running out of nails to chew on:oops:

yikes, one more week..
did we ever find out how many applicants there were this year?

NB: 33
NS: 57
PEI: 20
NFLD: 10 (I think)

There's only 12 NB seats this year because of a deferal from last year. I don't know about NS (I know of at least one). What were last year's numbers like (applicant wise?)

Just FYI, at least 2 people deferred from NS last year.

3 people deferred from Nova Scotia last year!! :(
Don't forget that you can expect 2-3 ppl who get accepted this year to defer as well, so it's usually just passing the buck and shouldnt have much of an effect when all is said and done.

it definitely makes a difference - aren't there 16 seats for NS applicants? that would mean with 3 having deferred only 26 interviews are being given out.. this semester's marks will have a huge impact on my overall prerequisite score, which can only be counted for towards my complete evaluation IF i get an interview :(