AVC/UPEI c/o 2024

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi Everyone! I am new to the thread :) I'm on the alternate list for the PEI pool, and was wondering if any regional applicants on the Alternate list have been accepted yet?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Everyone! I am new to the thread :) I'm on the alternate list for the PEI pool, and was wondering if any regional applicants on the Alternate list have been accepted yet?
Hi! I am on the list and have not heard word yet! :) I also haven't heard anything about anyone being accepted off this year's list but it is possible!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks!! It does make things simpler and less money to pay back later.

I'm glad you got good news this year! I know thinking about RVC was a huge challenge so it's nice to get in in-province

Has anyone else heard back about a file review yet? I was told I’d hear back by the end of June and the closer that comes the harder the waiting gets!

Has anyone who’s been accepted from the Atlantic provinces gotten their login username and password for the E value access yet? It says on the new student information package we should get them 1-2 days after but I don’t know if that means once we confirmed our seats or what cause I put my deposit in like 2 weeks ago and have only gotten my UPEI username and password not the other one! Just making sure I’m not the only one:)

Has anyone else heard back about a file review yet? I was told I’d hear back by the end of June and the closer that comes the harder the waiting gets!

Hey! I emailed Tracy about a file review today and she got back to me fairly quickly, I'd send her an email to check in about your file review as a reminder :)

Has anyone who’s been accepted from the Atlantic provinces gotten their login username and password for the E value access yet? It says on the new student information package we should get them 1-2 days after but I don’t know if that means once we confirmed our seats or what cause I put my deposit in like 2 weeks ago and have only gotten my UPEI username and password not the other one! Just making sure I’m not the only one:)

E value access?? I haven’t even heard of that. I only got one email with my pin # but I’m already a student here, I also paid my deposit two weeks ago and haven’t heard anything since

E value access?? I haven’t even heard of that. I only got one email with my pin # but I’m already a student here, I also paid my deposit two weeks ago and haven’t heard anything since

Ok good !! That makes me feel better haha, yeah if you read on page 19 of the incoming student information package it says something about a website called e value and we have to fill out a incoming student survey and put our emergency contact information and also like the professor evaluations at the end of each semester! But as long as we both didn’t get it I’m assuming they just haven’t sent out our login credentials yet, cause apparently they are different than our UPEI pin and username!

Anyone else having an error when opening the blue coat form ceremony form?

Anyone else having an error when opening the blue coat form ceremony form?

it’s cancelled thats probably why! They have a new form just with what size you want and what you want on your name tag on the avc class 2024 website!

Reactions: 1 users
it’s cancelled thats probably why! They have a new form just with what size you want and what you want on your name tag on the avc class 2024 website!

Oh I didn’t realize it was cancelled!!! That’s unfortunate. Was there an email or something about that??

Members don't see this ad :)
NVM I just saw it on the webpage. They must have changed that very recently

Yeah they did!! Like literally a couple days ago. Yeah it does suck for sure, I was really looking forward to it! I hope we are still able to have a ceremony just with the class and faculty to make it feel special !!

Slightly disappointed that the ceremony was cancelled, but oh well I guess.

How is everyone doing so far? Are you guys all ready to start or waiting until closer to September? I finally have housing sorted out so feel like a huge weight has been lifted off of my shoulders, but waiting until we find out more about class format to get anything else planned out. I'm so excited to meet everyone and get started!

So unprepared here lol waiting to hear back from the bank about a loan and figured I’d go from there.
I’m going to treat myself and get an iPad for school, that way I can draw right on the class notes during lectures. Anyone else thinking of or has an ipad for school? Got any recommendations?

So unprepared here lol waiting to hear back from the bank about a loan and figured I’d go from there.
I’m going to treat myself and get an iPad for school, that way I can draw right on the class notes during lectures. Anyone else thinking of or has an ipad for school? Got any recommendations?

I have an iPad mini that’s super old but works great for drawing on notes. The app called “goodnotes” is amazing! You can import PDF or powerpoints and draw on them. The iPad I have is too old to support Apple pencil but I have a similar one that works great that I got off amazon! Would also suggest getting one of the keyboard cases as it’s really helpful when you need to type fast when taking notes in class! :) I use my laptop mostly but for classes that I wanna draw and whatnot on my notes I prefer my iPad !!

Slightly disappointed that the ceremony was cancelled, but oh well I guess.

How is everyone doing so far? Are you guys all ready to start or waiting until closer to September? I finally have housing sorted out so feel like a huge weight has been lifted off of my shoulders, but waiting until we find out more about class format to get anything else planned out. I'm so excited to meet everyone and get started!

same! I think we are all in the same boat since it’s an exciting event to look forward to! They did say they would try to have something to welcome us to AVC so hopefully that’s still fun :)

I luckily already had housing because I was doing my upgrades at UPEI, you must be so relieved to have found housing since that’s so stressful!

I’m waiting to get all my supplies for school itself until a little closer, once my bank loan is available to me! But looking forward to moving back to the island and meeting everyone too !!

My laptop is ancient and has to be plugged at all times so I used an iPad for the last 2 years of my undergrad! I had the 6th gen with an apple pencil (no other pencil worked as well for me) and the "Targus pivoting hard-shell keyboard case" from staples. I loved it! I imported the notes using Notability and it allowed me to type, write, draw, insert pictures and even record the lectures so I could go back and listen to certain parts while studying.

I will likely continue using the same setup :)

same! I think we are all in the same boat since it’s an exciting event to look forward to! They did say they would try to have something to welcome us to AVC so hopefully that’s still fun :)

I luckily already had housing because I was doing my upgrades at UPEI, you must be so relieved to have found housing since that’s so stressful!

I’m waiting to get all my supplies for school itself until a little closer, once my bank loan is available to me! But looking forward to moving back to the island and meeting everyone too !!

Yeah for sure! I chose not to go to my graduation ceremony last year so was really looking forward to it but it's alright. We still have white coat in 4 years. :p

I'm also waiting until my loan is available before buying anything big! Shopped around and found the bank that gave me the best offer, now just waiting until that's finalized. Also applied for gov. loans and waiting to hear back from them.

Yeah for sure! I chose not to go to my graduation ceremony last year so was really looking forward to it but it's alright. We still have white coat in 4 years. :p

I'm also waiting until my loan is available before buying anything big! Shopped around and found the bank that gave me the best offer, now just waiting until that's finalized. Also applied for gov. loans and waiting to hear back from them.

Exactly the same here haha! I’m going to sign my paperwork for my loan Monday so I’m excited to be able to start buying some stuff ! I did get a pair of steel toe boots so far but that’s the only purchase I made! Can’t wait to buy a stethoscope and that stuff !

you guys are making me want to get an iPad!! Hahaha. I currently have 6 year old laptop... wondering if I should be upgrading before school starts :nailbiting:

you guys are making me want to get an iPad!! Hahaha. I currently have 6 year old laptop... wondering if I should be upgrading before school starts :nailbiting:

I think it totally depends on the way you study !! I like to make little notes and stuff on slides during class to remember what the prof said but if you enjoy typing and making notes under like PowerPoint slides then a laptop is 100% good too :) total preference thing:p

Anyone from PEI applied for student aid? How did you answer the "number of credits taken" question? 5 credits, 100%? Or... more? haha

Anyone from PEI applied for student aid? How did you answer the "number of credits taken" question? 5 credits, 100%? Or... more? haha
I was going to start my application soon and I think it’s whatever the max credits is one the drop down menu, we take 7-8 courses a semester

pretty sure it’s 100% because it’s a set number for all first year students! That’s what I selected anyway!

I’m in NB but our application was similar so I selected 100%!

Has anyone heard anything about the NB waitlist moving?
Also, was anyone able to obtain a file review from Tracy? I emailed two weeks ago and have not heard anything. Thanks!

Also, was anyone able to obtain a file review from Tracy? I emailed two weeks ago and have not heard anything. Thanks!

the last day to confirm our seats was July 1st, so I can’t see the waitlist moving at this point! Jack told me last year after the deposit deadline date that any movement of the waitlist is very rare!

I got a “file review” Within a couple days of sending a follow-up about my request but honestly it isn’t worth your time. They won’t tell you anything besides which parts of your application are below average, which I’m sure you already know. Kind of ridiculous of them to call it a file review.

I got a “file review” Within a couple days of sending a follow-up about my request but honestly it isn’t worth your time. They won’t tell you anything besides which parts of your application are below average, which I’m sure you already know. Kind of ridiculous of them to call it a file review.

If you scored below average on the interview and want to know why or talk about your application with someone, I was told a few years back to reach out to Dr. Lamont, I never did but she could give you more answers

If you scored below average on the interview and want to know why or talk about your application with someone, I was told a few years back to reach out to Dr. Lamont, I never did but she could give you more answers
That was a hard no for Dr. Lamont. I guess Tracy has been out of the office.

Hey International Students!
I was just curious as to how COVID-19 is affecting your admission process ( student visas, flights, ect)

Hey Regional Students!
Any advice on which applicant pool has the best chances? I am currently on the PEI alternate list and am debating moving.

I was just curious as to how COVID-19 is affecting your admission process ( student visas, flights, ect)

Hey Regional Students!
Any advice on which applicant pool has the best chances? I am currently on the PEI alternate list and am debating moving.
NS has 16 seats and NB 13. PEI only has 10. So odds are better in NS, without knowing the number of applicants annually.

Hey Regional Students!
Ohhh that’s hard to say. The applicant pool changes every year, I fell like the NB waitlist moves faster but you need a higher score out of 60 just to get an interview. PEI students need a score of 46 to get an interview and a 48 out of 60 to give you a stronger chance of acceptance. PEI only has 10 spots and there are a few people I know of who moved from Ontario and Quebec last year who are applying from PEI this year. It’s hard to say. But if you move to another province you’ll need to live there for a year before you can apply from that province anyway (unless you have a parent who resides there?? Not sure...)

And NS students there was someone who deferred last year meaning there was one less spot this year

Ohhh that’s hard to say. The applicant pool changes every year, I fell like the NB waitlist moves faster but you need a higher score out of 60 just to get an interview. PEI students need a score of 46 to get an interview and a 48 out of 60 to give you a stronger chance of acceptance. PEI only has 10 spots and there are a few people I know of who moved from Ontario and Quebec last year who are applying from PEI this year. It’s hard to say. But if you move to another province you’ll need to live there for a year before you can apply from that province anyway (unless you have a parent who resides there?? Not sure...)
Where did you learn about the /60 scores required for interviews?

Where did you learn about the /60 scores required for interviews?
Jack told me last year about the scores needed for interviews, for acceptance that was me talking to previous PEI applicants and myself on what our scores where when we got in (all 48-49)

Approximate GRE scores for those accepted this year? If you feel comfortable sharing, that is. Thx!!

Right! Thanks for the input! I actually moved from Ontario to apply to PEI (Since taking out the MCAT Guelph has just gotten insanely competitive!) I am back in Ontario to live with my family during Covid, but tracy has informed me that if I stay here then I will no longer meet my residency requirement so just trying to figure out what pool would get me the best odds! It is hard to compare because PEI has less spots but also has a smaller population.

Right! Thanks for the input! I actually moved from Ontario to apply to PEI (Since taking out the MCAT Guelph has just gotten insanely competitive!) I am back in Ontario to live with my family during Covid, but tracy has informed me that if I stay here then I will no longer meet my residency requirement so just trying to figure out what pool would get me the best odds! It is hard to compare because PEI has less spots but also has a smaller population.
It might just be easier to stick with PEI, were you on the waitlist this year?

Approximate GRE scores for those accepted this year? If you feel comfortable sharing, that is. Thx!!

I took it forever ago but got 158 verbal, 159 quantitative and 3.5 writing. Accepted from the NB pool.

I got a 155 verbal, 153 quant and 4.5 writing! I know the average for the GRE for those accepted used to be 56 percentile average for the 3 sections! Just to give a little idea of what that is a 155 for verbal is 67th percentile, 153 Quant is 48th percentile and 4.5 writing is 80th percentile! Hope that helps :)

I did awful. I can’t remember but I think 150 for verbal and quant and 4 for writing. Hated that test

Hey Regional Students!

NS has the most seats but with 2 schools offering specific pre-vet programs (saint-anne and dal AC) a lot of people from other provinces move there to apply for vet school.

NB or PEI are likely your best bets. If you’re on the PEI waitlist already I would personally stay there and just try and improve your application for next cycle in case the waitlist doesn’t move.

Reactions: 1 users
NS has the most seats but with 2 schools offering specific pre-vet programs (saint-anne and dal AC) a lot of people from other provinces move there to apply for vet school.

NB or PEI are likely your best bets. If you’re on the PEI waitlist already I would personally stay there and just try and improve your application for next cycle in case the waitlist doesn’t move.

I agree with this completely. I was an NL resident and after not getting an interview my first time but knowing my score compared to others, I spoke with Jack who told me that NB and PEI generally are the provinces that switch between which has the lower admission average, but more often it’s PEI (mostly due to smaller applicant pool relative to seats). Despite having many seats, NS also has a larger number of applicants and therefore a higher admission average.
My first year as a PEI resident I was admitted, but I have a friend who was in a similar situation as me and did not get in, so take from that what you will! But I would also suggest staying where you are and try to boost your application... I doubt there will be much difference if you did move to NB!

Mine were 159 verbal (82nd percentile), 159 quant (69th percentile), and 5.0 Analytical (92nd percentile)

I agree with this completely. I was an NL resident and after not getting an interview my first time but knowing my score compared to others, I spoke with Jack who told me that NB and PEI generally are the provinces that switch between which has the lower admission average, but more often it’s PEI (mostly due to smaller applicant pool relative to seats). Despite having many seats, NS also has a larger number of applicants and therefore a higher admission average.
My first year as a PEI resident I was admitted, but I have a friend who was in a similar situation as me and did not get in, so take from that what you will! But I would also suggest staying where you are and try to boost your application... I doubt there will be much difference if you did move to NB!

Thanks everyone for the opinions! I am already on the waitlist for PEI so I think I will stick there:) A lot of my courses in undergrad did not have lab components so my academic average is slightly below the average accepted but it is hard to boost grades with the residency requirement only being applicable if you aren't in school during the 12 months! The only other part that was below average was my WSAB score, does anyone have any insight on how to improve that?

Thanks everyone for the opinions! I am already on the waitlist for PEI so I think I will stick there:) A lot of my courses in undergrad did not have lab components so my academic average is slightly below the average accepted but it is hard to boost grades with the residency requirement only being applicable if you aren't in school during the 12 months! The only other part that was below average was my WSAB score, does anyone have any insight on how to improve that?
Were you told your WSAB was below avg. this year? Tracy never mentioned it for my “file review”.

Once you're a resident you can go back to school full time and it doesn't affect your residency, so if you're already a PEI resident you can go back to school as a PEI resident. That 12 months only applies to change your residency! :) So you could upgrade this year if that's something you wanted to do. You could even go to school outside the province if you really wanted to, as long as you aren't anywhere else for 12 consecutive months while not being a full time student! I hope that makes sense haha