AVC/UPEI c/o 2024

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi guys! I had my interview and I think it went alright (it’s my first time so I didn’t know what to expect). I have a question for the people that already interviewed, did you have one person ask the questions and the other interviewer remain silent the majority of the time? One interviewer only spoke at the end for questions, which has me concerned. Was it similar for everyone else?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi guys! I had my interview and I think it went alright (it’s my first time so I didn’t know what to expect). I have a question for the people that already interviewed, did you have one person ask the questions and the other interviewer remain silent the majority of the time? One interviewer only spoke at the end for questions, which has me concerned. Was it similar for everyone else?

Hi! I interviewed in person last year and the same thing happened to me, one of the profs first language was not English so the girl who spoke English well and didn’t have a strong accent asked me most of my questions and the other guy kind of sat there, I did above average on my interview last time according to the advisor so I don’t think you have anything to worry about :) maybe the other interviewer just wasn’t comfortable asking as many questions so the other person took the lead. Oddly enough I had the same guy this time and he talked a lot and so did my other interviewer, so was a totally different dynamic this time! I wouldn’t stress !!

Reactions: 1 user
Hi! I interviewed in person last year and the same thing happened to me, one of the profs first language was not English so the girl who spoke English well and didn’t have a strong accent asked me most of my questions and the other guy kind of sat there, I did above average on my interview last time according to the advisor so I don’t think you have anything to worry about :) maybe the other interviewer just wasn’t comfortable asking as many questions so the other person took the lead. Oddly enough I had the same guy this time and he talked a lot and so did my other interviewer, so was a totally different dynamic this time! I wouldn’t stress !!

If you don't mind me asking, why do you think you had to interview again this year if you did above average last time? Thanks! My interview is tomorrow and I'm super nervous!!

Members don't see this ad :)
If you don't mind me asking, why do you think you had to interview again this year if you did above average last time? Thanks! My interview is tomorrow and I'm super nervous!!

Hi! My marks were below average for those accepted last year, so the interview bumped me up close enough to get on the alternate list but not be accepted (because not enough people declined their offer from NB)! You basically have to do either average or above average in the majority of the aspects of the application in order to get in from what it seems! The interview is only worth 20%, so because 50% of my application was below average, I wasn’t offered a seat ! Goodluck on your interview !!

Had my interview today! It went really well!!! Best of luck to everyone!

Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone know how many students from New Brunswick are interviewed?

Its usually double or 2.5x the amount of seats. So usually it’s 26-33 people interviewed for the 13 seats. Don’t know if anything has changed this year or not though

does anyone know when Jack is back from sabbatical?

Hey everyone! I hope you guys are all doing well at this time :) I know things could be a little pushed back due to COVID, but do you guys think we could expect to hear something this week (I know they said mid-June in our e-mails; it appears that everyone heard around June 5th last year)?

Hey everyone! I hope you guys are all doing well at this time :) I know things could be a little pushed back due to COVID, but do you guys think we could expect to hear something this week (I know they said mid-June in our e-mails; it appears that everyone heard around June 5th last year)?

Hi! I spoke to Sharon last week and she said the admissions committee was meeting Friday and that decisions would be out soon. So I’m assuming sometime this week. Oddly enough emails usually seem to go out on a Wednesday from what I can tell from past years! But I think for sure by the end of the week :)

Hi! I spoke to Sharon last week and she said the admissions committee was meeting Friday and that decisions would be out soon. So I’m assuming sometime this week. Oddly enough emails usually seem to go out on a Wednesday from what I can tell from past years! But I think for sure by the end of the week :)

I agree! It's always a Wednesday hahaha!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree! It's always a Wednesday hahaha!!

such a random day but it’s totally the trend !! Even when they used to send out letters via mail they would send them out on a Wednesday! Too funny

Thank you! :) and that is interesting how it seems to be a Wednesday each time! Haha

Hey everyone! Bit of a long post here, I have a lot on my mind :p

Best of luck to you all, everyone deserves to be accepted to vet school! We have worked hard for it and getting that acceptance letter makes all the volunteer hours, work experience, and studying hard for the best grades possible worth it.

But just a note, as someone who has applied many times and has had three interviews, gone back to school, been waitlisted, I understand the frustration of getting a rejection letter (as I am sure many of you have experienced). Don't take it personally, its really tough to get in, and don't give up on your dream!! If you don't get in you have a year to build yourself into a stronger applicant and get more experience that'll help make the the transition to vet school easier! Don't be discouraged, the road to vet school is really long and difficult for some. Sometimes you have to fight for the things you want in life.

For those that do get accepted: huge congrats, don't forget how hard you worked for it! And if you can provide advice or guidance to a friend who is struggling with the application process, help them out :)

Reactions: 3 users
Hey everyone! Bit of a long post here, I have a lot on my mind :p

Best of luck to you all, everyone deserves to be accepted to vet school! We have worked hard for it and getting that acceptance letter makes all the volunteer hours, work experience, and studying hard for the best grades possible worth it.

But just a note, as someone who has applied many times and has had three interviews, gone back to school, been waitlisted, I understand the frustration of getting a rejection letter (as I am sure many of you have experienced). Don't take it personally, its really tough to get in, and don't give up on your dream!! If you don't get in you have a year to build yourself into a stronger applicant and get more experience that'll help make the the transition to vet school easier! Don't be discouraged, the road to vet school is really long and difficult for some. Sometimes you have to fight for the things you want in life.

For those that do get accepted: huge congrats, don't forget how hard you worked for it! And if you can provide advice or guidance to a friend who is struggling with the application process, help them out :)

I needed to hear this tonight !! Thank you ! And it’s so so true. I have almost the exact same story as you, many rejections, back to school, upgrading and getting waitlisted so anyone applyig their first, second or seventh time, I know it’s hard to not get discouraged but keep trying !! It’ll all be worth it in the end for us!

Reactions: 2 users
Everyone check your emails!! I just got good news :)

Last edited:
I got in! So incredibly excited. Now to find an apartment.

Reactions: 4 users
I’m in too! Can’t wait to meet you guys in the fall! I’m so excited!!!!

I got in too!!! Congrats to all

I got in! So incredibly excited. Now to find an apartment.
I may have a room available, I don’t think I can afford my apartment on my own :p actually thinking of buying a house and renting a room to classmate ☺

CONGRATS everyone !!! I am so excited haha

I may have a room available, I don’t think I can afford my apartment on my own :p actually thinking of buying a house and renting a room to classmate ☺

My main problem is finding a place that will accept these guys :(:p
101987773_2730340127244850_8547795624181891072_n.jpg

My main problem is finding a place that will accept these guys :(:p
View attachment 309572

They are so cute! I’m living over in Stratford, there’s a couple pet friendly apartments over in that area. Keep checking kijiji and also the UPEI housing page on Facebook if you have it!

For those that have been rejected/waitlisted in the past do they usually send those emails later?

For those that have been rejected/waitlisted in the past do they usually send those emails later?

From what I understand they send them out all at the same time. However, that’s when both jack and Sharon are both in the office. This year it’s only Sharon, so it may work differently this year because she’s alone sending them out!

Just an FYI for people buying houses: it's a requirement for 4th yr vet students to live no further than 30mins from the school. This is because you'll be on call and need to be able to get to the hospital in a short time frame.

Not that I think anyone really wants to live far from school anyway

A little late on posting but I got my acceptance letter today! Super excited! Congrats to everyone else who’s been accepted and can’t wait to meet you all :)

Ohh and join the Facebook group AVC Class of 2024!

Same here! but like I dont know why they wouldn’t have sent them all at once? I haven’t heard about anyone getting rejected or waitlisted so I’m worried that only those that got accepted got an email...

Same here! but like I dont know why they wouldn’t have sent them all at once? I haven’t heard about anyone getting rejected or waitlisted so I’m worried that only those that got accepted got an email...
Yeah same here! I guess we will have to wait and see tomorrow...

For those that didn't receive an email, check your emails! I have been put on the alternate list. :)

Now, for those that have been put on the waitlist before, do you have any advice (any information at all) regarding the waitlist? (How many are on it typically, does it move relatively quickly sometimes, could things move due to COVID, things Jack may have said in the past, etc ). BTW, my email came in this morning and was sent to my junk mail so check your junk mail!

Now, for those that have been put on the waitlist before, do you have any advice (any information at all) regarding the waitlist? (How many are on it typically, does it move relatively quickly sometimes, could things move due to COVID, things Jack may have said in the past, etc ). BTW, my email came in this morning and was sent to my junk mail so check your junk mail!

There’s not much advice I can give! You literally just have to wait if someone declines or defers their offer for this year which sucks! I can totally sympathize with the feeling cause I did it last year and it’s brutal. I know last year there was 4 people on the waitlist for NB, I think it’s pretty consistent each year how many ppl there are on the alternate list. I talked to jack last year when I was on the waitlist and he said some years there’s a bunch of deferrals and the whole waitlist is used and sometimes it doesn’t move at all so it’s very dependent on the year, there’s no real way to tell unfortunately. They can’t tell you your rank either, so you don’t know if your are the next person to be pulled off if there’s a deferral or if you are the last which is frustrating! That’s all I really know ! Hope this helps a little :) hang it there though, ya never know !!

There’s not much advice I can give! You literally just have to wait if someone declines or defers their offer for this year which sucks! I can totally sympathize with the feeling cause I did it last year and it’s brutal. I know last year there was 4 people on the waitlist for NB, I think it’s pretty consistent each year how many ppl there are on the alternate list. I talked to jack last year when I was on the waitlist and he said some years there’s a bunch of deferrals and the whole waitlist is used and sometimes it doesn’t move at all so it’s very dependent on the year, there’s no real way to tell unfortunately. They can’t tell you your rank either, so you don’t know if your are the next person to be pulled off if there’s a deferral or if you are the last which is frustrating! That’s all I really know ! Hope this helps a little :) hang it there though, ya never know !!
Thank you so much! I will keep my fingers crossed!

I was told the same thing as ricky246 last year, but just wanted to add I do personally feel as though there may be more deferrals this year than last depending on how the COVID-19 situation progresses. I know some people don't like/learn as well through online schooling so they may opt to wait if the school decides to move classes online.

I will say what helped me out a LOT last year was getting my "scores". It gave me a slight idea of where I was on the waitlist (bottom) and allowed me to make a plan and start working towards the next application cycle.

I was told the same thing as ricky246 last year, but just wanted to add I do personally feel as though there may be more deferrals this year than last depending on how the COVID-19 situation progresses. I know some people don't like/learn as well through online schooling so they may opt to wait if the school decides to move classes online.

I will say what helped me out a LOT last year was getting my "scores". It gave me a slight idea of where I was on the waitlist (bottom) and allowed me to make a plan and start working towards the next application cycle.
I have had some people say that COVID-19 may have an impact on the waitlist, I am hopeful, but don't want to get too hopeful because I don't want my heart to get broke! Haha I guess all I can do is wait and see...
And yes, thank you for that suggestion! I really felt that the only place on my application that would have been below average would have been my GRE score. My GRE score was not the best, however, my GPA in school is relatively high, so I honestly felt that it would make up for it. I will be sure to contact Sharon to see if I could get my scores to predict whereabouts I would be.

That’s very true! However they did say that the vet program will be predominantly in person in an email sent out to UPEI students about a month or two ago, so unless there is a huge surge in cases in PEI I believe it’ll be mostly in person! But the uncertainty may make some people nervous, so it very well could make the waitlist quicker.

For current/past AVC students, do you know if the hospital offers discounts for student pets? Either for treatment or rx food?
And are there any dog daycares close to campus?

For current/past AVC students, do you know if the hospital offers discounts for student pets? Either for treatment or rx food?
The teaching hospital does give a 20% discount on appointments and treatments (I think, it could be another amount but I know we get a discount!). You also get a discount on food, not sure about meds though. I don’t have a dog, so I’m not sure about daycares!

Posh Pooch in Stratford is the best place to go, but it is in Stratford, which isn't too far from campus but there is traffic on the bridge sometimes. There is another kennel (finoavar I think) in Charlottetown that does the doggy day care but I know people who didn't have the best experience, but that was a year ago, maybe they've hired new staff.