Burrell College of Osteopathic Medicine (BCOM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Any last minute tips for the BCOM interview? Going to be my first med school interview the cycle and I'm hoping my nerves don't take over.

Members don't see this ad.

Any last minute tips for the BCOM interview? Going to be my first med school interview the cycle and I'm hoping my nerves don't take over.

Just be cool and be yourself. They'll tell you that the interview is not so much of an interview as it is a conversation. If you know yourself and your application pretty well then you should have no issue with the "interview". They say they don't try to trick you and it's true - they don't. Very relaxed atmosphere. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
There was some back and forth about this earlier in the thread, but has anyone figured if there is mandatory attendance for classes/lectures?

The handbook says yes (80%), but others have said that they were personally told no by faculty.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got waitlisted today. Anyone have any idea how long the list is and what do you all think of my chance of an acceptance?

Just got waitlisted today. Anyone have any idea how long the list is and what do you all think of my chance of an acceptance?

Waitlist has been seeing movement. But deferred acceptance list has higher priority to get moved up and that list is much smaller.

I would imagine they will get through atleast half of the waitlist when it's all said and done

They said there's going to be lots of movement in the upcoming days from them as people will be giving up their spots for MD schools and Texas schools.

There was some back and forth about this earlier in the thread, but has anyone figured if there is mandatory attendance for classes/lectures?

The handbook says yes (80%), but others have said that they were personally told no by faculty.

I remember asking this question directly and having like a 10 minute conversation on the topic. The interviewers said "No" to mandatory attendance. I remember this clearly because we both laughed and agreed that every student should go to class anyway, why wouldn't you want to?

I remember asking this question directly and having like a 10 minute conversation on the topic. The interviewers said "No" to mandatory attendance. I remember this clearly because we both laughed and agreed that every student should go to class anyway, why wouldn't you want to?

Lots of med schools record their lectures and put them online for students to view whenever they please. Some people aren't classroom learners. Some lecturers just don't do a good job of teaching. A few reasons that came off the top of my head.

Reactions: 2 users

did anyone tell you admission stats during your interview day? like # applied, waitlist , and acceptances with/without deposits?

Lots of med schools record their lectures and put them online for students to view whenever they please. Some people aren't classroom learners. Some lecturers just don't do a good job of teaching. A few reasons that came off the top of my head.
I had a friend in undergrad that just never showed up to class and was really smart. I was jealous at times. He has an interview in El Paso in the coming days, and I hope he gets he chooses to go there. It'd be awesome, but he never benefited from going to lecture and just wrecked the mcat. To him, going to class slowed him down and actually took away from his learning. I can usually tell after the 1st test if class lecture will help me or not. I will be there everyday unless it's not as effective

I just got an II today. It's my first one, so I'm very excited. This thread is so long, but does anyone know how the interview goes? What types of questions (resume based, medical decision making)? Thank you!!

I just got an II today. It's my first one, so I'm very excited. This thread is so long, but does anyone know how the interview goes? What types of questions (resume based, medical decision making)? Thank you!!
congrats
know why do, why newmexico and show commitment to mission

its open file, with two faculty. laid back.

You have a good point, but our laughs were geared more towards the fact that you are paying hundreds of thousands of dollars for these people to lecture you, why not just attend the lectures. It was not meant to be a seriously question, just a fun laugh.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a question why does ACOM and NYiT Arkansas, already have federal loans but bcom doesn't. Even some of the Caribbean schools do! loans are scary no matter how you look at it , but private loans are on whole another scary level.

I have a question why does ACOM and NYiT Arkansas, already have federal loans but bcom doesn't. Even some of the Caribbean schools do! loans are scary no matter how you look at it , but private loans are on whole another scary level.

Because they are fully accredited due to the fact that they have "parent" campuses. NYIT-Arkansas is a satellite campus of NYIT and ACOM is going on it's second year and non-profit.

Because they are fully accredited due to the fact that they have "parent" campuses. NYIT-Arkansas is a satellite campus of NYIT and ACOM is going on it's second year and non-profit.
ACOM had federal loans for their first year students too. How do the Caribbean schools get them?

ACOM had federal loans for their first year students too. How do the Caribbean schools get them?
Yes, I think this is because ACOM is a NON-PROFIT school, though. I am not 100%, either. Caribbean schools are U.S. Schools, if I remember correctly.

From what the financial guy talked to us about, it is the same process as any other student - basically you fill out fafsa and that will cover just enough for tuition. For cost of living and other matters you have to apply for a Grad Plus Loan. You do have the option to take out private loans of course but they discourage it since rates are higher. You can do it but the financial advisor said he wants you to at least apply and see what you get through the government and grad plus.

The accreditation status is not a problem at all and is just a myth. It's only a problem when it is a for-profit institution and has not had its first class and this is only RVUCOM. ACOM is not for profit so none of this pertains to its students. Hope this helps!

Here you go, a simple search and walla!

Edit: This quote above is from the thread for school specific threads in 2012-2013 (First class at ACOM)

Here you go, a simple search and walla!

Edit: This quote above is from the thread for school specific threads in 2012-2013 (First class at ACOM)

So is it with 100% certainty that this school will have federal loans by 2018 or is there an off-chance like something short of the school closing down that could possibly prevent it?

Last edited:
So is it with 100% certainty that this school will have federal loans by 2018 or is there an off-chance something short of the school closing down that could prevent it?
There is almost a 100% chance. I'd say 99.998% chance everything works out as planned.

There is almost a 100% chance. I'd say 99.998% chance everything works out as planned.
The reason why I ask is if the "for-profit" status (something I'm totally fine with) of the school is what determines eligibility for federal aid, why can't the school just apply for fed loans after year 1? Two years just seems like such an arbitrary number.

So is it with 100% certainty that this school will have federal loans by 2018 or is there an off-chance like something short of the school closing down that could possibly prevent it?
There isn't anything certain, The only other for profit medical institution I know of ,RVU, toke 4 years why I don't know. It won't shut down, but money wise they may not get it. It's risky

The reason why I ask is if the "for-profit" status (something I'm totally fine with) of the school is what determines eligibility for federal aid, why can't the school just apply for fed loans after year 1? Two years just seems like such an arbitrary number.

There isn't anything certain, The only other for profit medical institution I know of ,RVU, toke 4 years why I don't know. It won't shut down, but money wise they may not get it. It's risky

It will only take 2 years to gain federal loan eligibility. No, nothing it for certain, but like I said, I would say there is a 99.998% chance this school runs into no problems with the federal loan eligibility and full accreditation.

Just sent in the paperwork to decline my acceptance. This school has a great amount of potential. Good luck everyone!

http://www.lcsun-news.com/story/new...-announce-launch-research-institute/78818550/

""The institute is part of BCOM’s charitable foundation, the Southwest Foundation for Osteopathic Education and Research. The annual operating budget of approximately $600,000 will be provided by the Burrell Group until the institute becomes self-sustaining through grants and service funding, which is expected to occur within five years, Burrell said."

They have already launched a research institute. Ahead of the curve

Reactions: 2 users
http://www.lcsun-news.com/story/new...-announce-launch-research-institute/78818550/

""The institute is part of BCOM’s charitable foundation, the Southwest Foundation for Osteopathic Education and Research. The annual operating budget of approximately $600,000 will be provided by the Burrell Group until the institute becomes self-sustaining through grants and service funding, which is expected to occur within five years, Burrell said."

They have already launched a research institute. Ahead of the curve

This is actually a very unique area of research. Pretty neat!

Reactions: 3 users
Do they ask questions during the interview about serving the underserved? After combing through this thread, it seems they want to see you fit their mission (underserved). Do they ask you things that try to see your fit to the mission in that way?

Do they ask questions during the interview about serving the underserved? After combing through this thread, it seems they want to see you fit their mission (underserved). Do they ask you things that try to see your fit to the mission in that way?
I'd prepare that way towards the mission. We can't tell you what we talk about or specific questions but that's important to the program

Def must demonstrate fit to the mission, care for underserved native and hispanic populations.

people who keep hating on this school seriously need to go screw themselves. People are excited to come here and there is literally no point to your criticism other than a desperate attempt to make yourselves feel superior about your acceptance. If you want to go elsewhere, then go elsewhere. JEEZ! you won't get any more money or brownie points by trying to put down this school. So just go to your top choice school and leave these people alone. I swear everytime I am on this page, there is some ***** flooding the page with hate. Its like hard to weed out the stupidity from the useful information which is what this thread was made for! BCOM acceptees when people hate just comment this "see you in residency" and then they'll stfu.

LOL
The class has been full for months. Scroll down to about the 10th bullet:

http://www.burrellgroupmtpfs.org/BCOMatNMSU-12-3.pdf

From what people have been saying though, there has been a good amount of waitlist movement in the past month and should be more soon.

I don't think there has been much wait list to be honest... I know there has been in the DA list . Deff wait list movement in the upcoming months

I'll be leaving my seat at BCOM. Movement is coming! haha
Thank you! I wish most people here decide which school they want to attend soon too because theres 300 students on waiting list, good luck!

For those of you that have been accepted, do you guys still use the portal? I've been accepted for a little while, but my tabs still read: Home, Interview, Supplemental Application, and Profile.

For those of you that have been accepted, do you guys still use the portal? I've been accepted for a little while, but my tabs still read: Home, Interview, Supplemental Application, and Profile.
Haven't used the portal. They had taken out a tab on there a while back because we didn't need it and they would use it next app cycle. You're ok.

View attachment 198846 View attachment 198847 Sorry, I messed up, here are the today pics

This is a pic of the building today. I believe its supposed to be 100% completed in May. 3.5 months away!
Screen Shot 2016-01-17 at 9.16.22 PM.png

Reactions: 5 users