Burrell College of Osteopathic Medicine (BCOM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Did anyone from waiting list/deferred list got any notification yet?
I don't know about deferred acceptance, but as far as I know no one from the waitlist will be notified until May at the earliest when interviews are over.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Thank you, TheFutureFatMan and SlugMD for your insightful comments :) It's definitely been a tough decision! I'm still wavering, haha. I suppose I still have a little time left.

Members don't see this ad :)
To all MS-1's and incoming students,

What have you all heard about the following five apartment complexes? They seem to be the best priced and super close to campus (~5 min/1.5 miles). Prices below are for single apartments. Amenities are similar.

Omni ($495/625 sq. ft.)
Villa Sierra ($525/615 sq. ft.)
Park Place ($590/580 sq. ft.)
County Crest ($650/702 sq. ft.)
Casa Bandera ($735/733 sq.ft.)

What have you all heard about the following five apartment complexes? They seem to be the best priced and super close to campus (~5 min/1.5 miles). Prices below are for single apartments. Amenities are similar.

Omni ($495/625 sq. ft.)
From what I've heard and just knowing people in Las Cruces, Omni and Villa Sierra are pretty good options. Nice management, willing to work with you, and clean apartments. I've heard they're pretty comparable, but I've never actually been to them so hard to say. I have a friend in med school there right now, so I'll ask him what he's heard/knows. I'm super jealous though! I live in El Paso so I'll be driving 30 minutes there and back everyday!

Omni ($495/625 sq. ft.)

You're the real MVP!

So you're right, there really isn't a chance of being accepted this late. You will be either deferred, waitlisted or rejected. That doesn't mean there is no chance of getting in this year, Adrian said they expect movement. But then again, if you have other interviews or offers it might not be worth it unless you are dying to go to BCOM :)
Adrian Alba said that 71 people were DAed last year and all 71 got in.

Adrian Alba said that 71 people were DAed last year and all 71 got in.
Yes I know. I said that in an earlier post. This response was to someone wondering if they would be accepted over deferred or waitlisted, which is highly unlikely because of the full class and deferred list already in place. And I spoke to Adrian and he said they aren't having as large of a deferred list this year.

Yes I know. I said that in an earlier post. This response was to someone wondering if they would be accepted over deferred or waitlisted, which is highly unlikely because of the full class and deferred list already in place. And I spoke to Adrian and he said they aren't having as large of a deferred list this year.

So, looks like people on waiting list are no go for this school?

So, looks like people on waiting list are no go for this school?
Adrian said they expect a lot of movement on deferred and waitlist. It all depends where you are on the waitlist I guess. But I talked to him a couple days ago and he said they've already started to see movement. It's all so dependent. He said they'll have a better idea for people in may/June

Reactions: 1 user
Adrian said they expect a lot of movement on deferred and waitlist. It all depends where you are on the waitlist I guess. But I talked to him a couple days ago and he said they've already started to see movement. It's all so dependent. He said they'll have a better idea for people in may/June

And that's another flawed point in my opinion, the deferred list has a higher priority, then the waiting list itself has a ranking system where no one knows where they stand. So, its really a blind waiting game.

And that's another flawed point in my opinion, the deferred list has a higher priority, then the waiting list itself has a ranking system where no one knows where they stand. So, its really a blind waiting game.
Yeah it's a flaw, I agree. Once interviews are over in April they can update you on your position. Patience is hard here!

Members don't see this ad :)

I don't know that it's flawed, but that's how the system works lol. The waiting game pays off, just sit tight!

Omni ($495/625 sq. ft.)
Negative ghost ride to all, lol.

Copperstone.
Sonoma Palms.
Tuscany
Organ Vista
Casa De Soledad

nothing is far from campus, there all 15 minutes, ish.
Stay away from anything that doesn't have central air.
Some people stay at The Verge, but it's super college-y, and I tend to hate that. The advantage they have is that they're furnished.

If you don't have a car, then having something super close to campus makes sense, but you could always carpool with people.

DEFINITELY don't stay at Casa Bandera for that price, Copper stone is a better deal.

Just out of curiosity can any BCOM students comment on how rotations will work? Specifically elective rotations, what if I want to do a rotation somewhere other than New Mexico like Florida how would that work?

Yeah it's a flaw, I agree. Once interviews are over in April they can update you on your position. Patience is hard here!
Another flaw I think is when we have other acceptances but wait listed for the school want to go which make us hard to decide. We all choose a career we want to work for the rest of our life; so better to pick the school (MD vs DO) we have in mind and be happy with the decision whatever we make verses compromising. Even if I take a year/2 off doesn't matter. This is the time to explore and not to regret later..

Last edited:

Copperstone.
Sonoma Palms.
Tuscany
Organ Vista
Casa De Soledad

Some people stay at The Verge, but it's super college-y, and I tend to hate that. The advantage they have is that they're furnished.

If you don't have a car, then having something super close to campus makes sense, but you could always carpool with people.

DEFINITELY don't stay at Casa Bandera for that price, Copper stone is a better deal.

+1, and to all, just get a car. eventually, you'll need one. work and get a cheap cash car, don't use your loans and that interest rate for a car.

Copperstone.
Sonoma Palms.
Tuscany
Organ Vista
Casa De Soledad

+1, and to all, just get a car. eventually, you'll need one. work and get a cheap cash car, don't use your loans and that interest rate for a car.

Why are they that bad? Are they unsafe? I just spent today looking at Omni, Villa Sierra, and Casa Bandera. I liked them all but agree that Casa Bandera is too expensive. So far, I would take Omni over Villa Sierra. Any specifics on why Omni and Villa Sierra are bad?

Do most people room with others or get singles? I'm heavily leaving towards getting a single. I have a car but I still want to be close to campus while saving time and money.

I'll check out some of the ones you mentioned tomorrow.

Why are they that bad? Are they unsafe? I just spent today looking at Omni, Villa Sierra, and Casa Bandera. I liked them all but agree that Casa Bandera is too expensive. So far, I would take Omni over Villa Sierra. Any specifics on why Omni and Villa Sierra are bad?

Do most people room with others or get singles? I'm heavily leaving towards getting a single. I have a car but I still want to be close to campus while saving time and money.

Can you guys post an active link to these places?

They're not unsafe. It's just about bang for your buck.
Single v roommate varies lol. Go with what you find comfortable, same thing you would do if you weren't going to Med school.

Hi! Does anyone know when the interview cycle ends for BCOM

Hi! Does anyone know when the interview cycle ends for BCOM
They interview into April. I talked to Adrian last week and he said they were interviewing for another 6 weeks or so.

This FutureDO08 person sounds pretty smart. If I was cool enough I would hang out with them.

Hey all! Just got an interview here! Stoked, but reading all the other posts, I'm a little worried about my chances of getting in. If everyone's getting deferred acceptances, should I not bother trying to interview? Thoughts are much appreciated.
It depends if you got offers somewhere else. DA is better than no options at other schools. Interviews are also a good practice. You may fall in love with the area and the school or decide that BCOM is a bad choice for your needs and goals.
What are your stats?

Deleted

Last edited:
Good stats! You can get in!
That's good stats?? Thanks for the confidence booster! I'm so worried it's not competitive enough. I'm amongst friends who scored between 510-519 so I felt mine is soooo low. Thank you for the advice. Good luck!

I do have offers elsewhere. They're MD, not DO. But I do like DO schools.

497 Mcat, gpa 3.6 something, with various EC
To me, this boils down to the area and finances. You take a gamble at getting a DA, which means you'll have spent a lot of money on the interview. Research the area and compare relative to your guaranteed acceptances. If you DO travel out here, I would cut your costs as much as possible. Also, might want to take a look at costs. I love BCOM and I specifically wanted to be an osteopathic physician, but If I had gotten into an MD program that was significantly cheaper, I would've gone there - zero doubt.

Update:
After touring 10 different places over 2 days, here are my top 4 (and only places I would live)

1. Cooperstone ($705)
2. Casas de Soledad ($750)
3. Tuscany Villa ($790)
4. Casa Bandera ($735)

Note: Prices above are for the cheapest single bedrooms (if there were multiple options for a single)

Sonoma Palms is great but way too expensive for a single bedroom. The other five places were 20+ years old and had swamp coolers. As a life long Californian, I didn't know what swamp cooler were and how horrible they are until now.

Anyways, I hope this helps others find housing.

Reactions: 1 users
I interviewed at BCOM on 3/3/17 and was placed on Alternative List. I will be retaking the MCAT. Alternative list sounds like no go. I loved the school and hoped for DA. Good luck, guys.

Update:
After touring 10 different places over 2 days, here are my top 4 (and only places I would live)

1. Cooperstone ($705)
2. Casas de Soledad ($750)
3. Tuscany Villa ($790)
4. Casa Bandera ($735)

Note: Prices above are for the cheapest single bedrooms (if there were multiple options for a single)

Sonoma Palms is great but way too expensive for a single bedroom. The other five places were 20+ years old and had swamp coolers. As a life long Californian, I didn't know what swamp cooler were and how horrible they are until now.

Anyways, I hope this helps others find housing.

I'll be looking for places in the summer and will take note of these for sure (thank you for your research!), however from looking around I also wouldn't rule out renting an actual house for close to these prices. Several of the houses I've seen so far (2-3 bedrooms) were around $750-$950 or so.

After looking online and reading the other posts about housing, I'm probably just going to end up renting a house. Cost per square foot is going to be much better than at an apartment.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
Find a place to live just for one year cause Adrian says they are building dorms for us to be ready in 2018

Find a place to live just for one year cause Adrian says they are building dorms for us to be ready in 2018

That's awesome. I got the survey that was emailed a few months ago but I didn't expect them to build it so fast.

Okay, serious question. Does anyone else fear that attending burrell will cause us to be stuck in the southwest forever, without a good chance of matching to a competitive residency?

Okay, serious question. Does anyone else fear that attending burrell will cause us to be stuck in the southwest forever, without a good chance of matching to a competitive residency?
I don't think so. You have to think that there are a lot of students that go to medical school all around the country that are from the southwest that would probably like to come back. So all the residencies opening around BCOM will most likely be appealing to a lot of students, opening up residencies elsewhere.

Wouldn't matching have more to do with your board scores than where you went to school? You could go to some other school and do terrible on the boards and still end up having trouble matching too.

Wouldn't matching have more to do with your board scores than where you went to school? You could go to some other school and do terrible on the boards and still end up having trouble matching too.

Yes but if you go to a school with no rep, it makes it harder to match. I'm just trying to weigh my options carefully, in NO WAY whatsoever am I putting Burrell down. The faculty that I've spoken with there have been some of the kindest and most professional that I've ever encountered. I just want to know that eventually, if I felt inclined to try for a residency somewhere competitive like california, I would stand a decent chance. Would an amazing board score out-compete the lack of reputation and prestige that burrell has? These are legitimate things to consider, in my humble opinion. I just don't want to short-sell myself; beggars can't be choosers, but I don't want to be screwed.

Yes but if you go to a school with no rep, it makes it harder to match. I'm just trying to weigh my options carefully, in NO WAY whatsoever am I putting Burrell down. The faculty that I've spoken with there have been some of the kindest and most professional that I've ever encountered. I just want to know that eventually, if I felt inclined to try for a residency somewhere competitive like california, I would stand a decent chance. Would an amazing board score out-compete the lack of reputation and prestige that burrell has? These are legitimate things to consider, in my humble opinion. I just don't want to short-sell myself; beggars can't be choosers, but I don't want to be screwed.

The doctors I've spoken to for competitive residencies have only brought up about board scores. I'm told they have a cut off for the residency and then they look at the applicant. Of course, I'm sure if you have very competitive stats and went to a prestigious school, you'll stand out more but in the end, how you perform on the boards weigh greatly. Have you gotten accepted anywhere else?