C/O 2017 Applicants!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
yep, Auburn and FL were the two I had to send a PASSPORT photo to. I have to say it was probably the most desperate "oooo please pick me!" photo of my face. :smuggrin:

I put way too much pressure on having a "professional yet approachable smile" and all this crap. I felt like my whole application depended on it lol. The guy taking my picture was even funnier about it. When I told him what it was for, he tried to get all professional photographer on me, and he took like 15 pictures and then wouldn't even let me pick which one I wanted :laugh:

Just another thing to add to my "To Do" list...get a passport photo...blah. :lame:

Members don't see this ad.

Haha!!! So am I just supposed to send a headshot? I haven't really looked at UF's supplemental app but I do know they ask for a photo. Do they not want to see my professional artistic photos with my ponies in a field? Do they use these to make sure the class picture looks diverse enough? Those things fascinate me whenever I'm at the college, I just stand there thinking, "That guy doesn't look like he'd be a vet." :laugh:

Penn needs a photo.

However, they don't specify what kind of photo so I handed them one of me posed on some cliffs hiking in Ireland. .... they wanted a headshot. I looked at the interviewer's file and he had clipped the tiny part of my head out of the photo and stapled it to the sheet :laugh:. Oops?

They also take a group picture of everyone when you interview, so they can remember what you look like all gussied up in suits. I was so nervous. I hope that photo never sees the light of day!

Penn needs a photo.

However, they don't specify what kind of photo so I handed them one of me posed on some cliffs hiking in Ireland. .... they wanted a headshot. I looked at the interviewer's file and he had clipped the tiny part of my head out of the photo and stapled it to the sheet :laugh:. Oops?

They also take a group picture of everyone when you interview, so they can remember what you look like all gussied up in suits. I was so nervous. I hope that photo never sees the light of day!

Penn didn't need a photo when I applied this past cycle :confused:. Or is it when you move onto the interview stage?

Members don't see this ad :)
There's certainly no requirement to have a single story tying everything together, but it's easier to write a personal essay that way. I started off with a short narrative paragraph that brought up several of my aims and skills. I used this as a launch point for the rest of the essay, always tying it back to the beginning. It's important for the essay to be cohesive and not just a bunch of random paragraphs strung together.

There are several examples of personal statements from previous successful applicants linked on SDN and they were very helpful for me when I was writing. Mine is structured very differently, but it's always nice to have a sample of what a good essay might look like. (I would link to the ones I used last year, but in one of my regular technology failures, I broke the motherboard of my laptop and so tech support wiped the whole thing).

I spent a lot of time brainstorming about what makes me passionate for the field. I didn't want to just write a "cookie-cutter" essay because that's not who I am. However, as a young, female, biology major who just graduated it was tough to do that. I was brutally honest in my essay and I think that helped my application.

I'm having so much trouble with that whole "making it cohesive" thing. I had an earlier draft I was pretty happy with where I focused on one story, but my pre-professional advisor (I know, I know :rolleyes:) wanted me to use a broader range of anecdotes. And I'm having a TON of difficulty making the different stories fit together and NOT making it a super typical bland PS, especially at the beginning.

In other news, I finally got my official GRE scores today! 98% below in verbal, 82% below in QR, 96% below in writing. Not super happy with the math score (we're all overachievers here, right? ;)), but I do not want to take the GRE ever again regardless. :claps:

...wait, Penn needs a passport photo? Dangit, is this ANOTHER thing I have to go look up for all my schools? I thought I was done with my research on each school twice now!

I'm having so much trouble with that whole "making it cohesive" thing. I had an earlier draft I was pretty happy with where I focused on one story, but my pre-professional advisor (I know, I know :rolleyes:) wanted me to use a broader range of anecdotes. And I'm having a TON of difficulty making the different stories fit together and NOT making it a super typical bland PS, especially at the beginning.

In other news, I finally got my official GRE scores today! 98% below in verbal, 82% below in QR, 96% below in writing. Not super happy with the math score (we're all overachievers here, right? ;)), but I do not want to take the GRE ever again regardless. :claps:

...wait, Penn needs a passport photo? Dangit, is this ANOTHER thing I have to go look up for all my schools? I thought I was done with my research on each school twice now!

Holy crap. Congrats in verbal!!!! I hated that part. I did 90%+ in quant, so I guess we have our strengths in that stupid test.

Be very proud of that score, missy.

Penn didn't need a photo when I applied this past cycle :confused:. Or is it when you move onto the interview stage?

Remember, we weren't good enough to be acted favorably upon. Hahahaha

Perhaps those that are acted favorably require that passport to be even acted MORE favorably upon.

Yep, September for me too. The longer I write something, the worse it gets, so I started mid-September. :cool:

LATE September. Did it all in like a week.

HUZZAH

It took me weeks to write my PS, mostly cause writing it made me cry a lot. Seems like I am the only one who didn't have anyone else read it, ever. Only me and the adcoms at the schools I applied to have ever read it. I never had any of my written work for school peer reviewed or edited, so I just did the same thing with my PS. Guess it was ok.

First of all... :highfive: , verbal score!!! Take THAT! :poke:
Secondly, I'm not sure the information about Penn needing a photo is correct. At least for the supp app part. Unless it changed for this app cycle.

Remember, we weren't good enough to be acted favorably upon. Hahahaha

Perhaps those that are acted favorably require that passport to be even acted MORE favorably upon.

How could I have forgotten :rolleyes: Silly me! :smack:

That is awesome...:laugh:

Way to go on the GRE scores!! :thumbup: You're a step ahead of me there, I'm hoping to take it at the end of the month which will leave me time to take it again if I need to.

Did you all know that a handful of supplemental applications opened today?

Members don't see this ad :)
:thumbup: ;) lol
(you know I'm kidding ya. I'm just unprepared heh)
Sent from my LG-LS840 using SDN Mobile

Yes, I know are kidding. :D Thought it would be funny to answer with a "straight face" (since I can't truly portray that with a post)

Like which ones?!

Oregon (though I am noticing the only date change on this one is when it is due, the rest of the dates are for 2011 :/), Kansas, and Auburn (though Auburn only needs a tiny amount of info)

Sent from my PC36100 using SDN Mobile

Last edited:
Doesn't Cornell open in june??

Things I don't worry about but know about lol

I'm not going to start looking at supplementals until I have my VMCAS username, since some of them need it. I know all of them don't, but...I've got plenty to do until then with getting settled in Ireland and starting my internship! :D

(Got here Wednesday with my family to do touristy things, moving into my flat tomorrow)

It's quite exciting to hear from everyone applying this coming up year! It's hard for me to imagine that some of us will be quite possibly going to school together in the future!

I'm a first time applicant, applying after third year of college. SC resident, intend on applying to UGA, MS State, NC State and Cornell. NC State is definitely my first option.

I just finished the GRE a few days ago, 160 V 160 Q tentative scores, so we'll see about the writing section soon :oops: It'll be interesting to see how scores compare this time around since I think most people will have taken the new version hehe.

Anyway now that the GRE's out of the way, I can maybe start my personal statement, which I can't believe some of you guys have already pre-written! Making me feel like a slacker haha! For me as well I don't think there was a single moment where I wanted to be a vet, I like what squirrelsrule said about how it can be a process. I wanted to talk about the process how my interest in medicine and teaching developed, and where I can go with that as a DVM. Though it feels awkward talking yourself up so much o_O

Lastly, I was thrilled to look back on SDN and find a c/o 2017 thread! Go us!

Oregon (though I am noticing the only date change on this one is when it is due, the rest of the dates are for 2011 :/), Kansas, and Auburn (though Auburn only needs a tiny amount of info)
Just looked up Auburn's supplemental. Looks like there is a few typos/errors in it.....

First of all... :highfive: , verbal score!!! Take THAT! :poke:
Secondly, I'm not sure the information about Penn needing a photo is correct. At least for the supp app part. Unless it changed for this app cycle.

For Penn, they only ask for a picture if you get offered an interview.

I hated having to send in photos to schools when applying. Good luck everyone, I know that VMCAS must be opening soon!

Hello everyone! Yay, I'm so excited in a completely NERDY way about the application opening up in a few days! It's unnerving but also exciting :) Unlike many, I only decided to go to vet school two years ago, but it feels like it has been a long time! I finally get to try for it! (First-time applicant, obviously.)

Granted, I don't have big expectations about my application this year. While working full time in another industry, I have not had time to get much experience. But I finally found a great SA clinic that will let me volunteer, and this summer I'm going abroad to India to work with a veterinarian over there :D But I will only have 300-400 vet hours by the time of application. (And a variety of animal hours totaling about 200.)

My cumulative GPA is slightly below average, but my last 45 GPA and my GRE are above average. So I suppose it's possible I get in, but I won't be surprised if I don't. It will probably come down to my PS and LORs. Similar to some other people, I've done some rambling paragraphs that might end up as part of my PS, but nothing resembling an actual essay!

I plan on applying to Davis (IS!!), Colorado, UPenn, Wash State, and Tufts.

Hello everyone! Yay, I'm so excited in a completely NERDY way about the application opening up in a few days! It's unnerving but also exciting :) Unlike many, I only decided to go to vet school two years ago, but it feels like it has been a long time! I finally get to try for it! (First-time applicant, obviously.)

Granted, I don't have big expectations about my application this year. While working full time in another industry, I have not had time to get much experience. But I finally found a great SA clinic that will let me volunteer, and this summer I'm going abroad to India to work with a veterinarian over there :D But I will only have 300-400 vet hours by the time of application. (And a variety of animal hours totaling about 200.)

My cumulative GPA is slightly below average, but my last 45 GPA and my GRE are above average. So I suppose it's possible I get in, but I won't be surprised if I don't. It will probably come down to my PS and LORs. Similar to some other people, I've done some rambling paragraphs that might end up as part of my PS, but nothing resembling an actual essay!

I plan on applying to Davis (IS!!), Colorado, UPenn, Wash State, and Tufts.

Welcome Pumpkinsmom! I wish you luck!

I am also applying to Davis (IS), then Washington, Oregon, Auburn, Iowa, Kansas, and North Carolina.

Ok! Someone cue "Eye of the Tiger". I'm ready to do this thing!

You got this Abs! I'm really rooting for you!!!! :xf::luck::xf::luck:

Ok! Someone cue "Eye of the Tiger". I'm ready to do this thing!

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgSMxY6asoE[/YOUTUBE]

You and me, Abs! We got this!

You and me, Abs! We got this!
:thumbup:

I'm pretty excited to watch everyone succeed this cycle, but there are definitely people (like the 2 of you) I'm especially rooting for (as I'm sure most of us are). You both got this! ROCK IT LADIES!:horns:

I'm pretty excited to watch everyone succeed this cycle, but there are definitely people (like the 2 of you) I'm especially rooting for (as I'm sure most of us are). You both got this! ROCK IT LADIES!:horns:

:love: Thanks Emiloo!

Thank you Em. That means a lot. An awful lot. I'm feeling pretty decent about this cycle. When I'm not breaking into cold sweats lol. Though that could be my gnarly sunburn haha.

Seconding this. I'm really excited for everyone applying this year! It was great getting the support from everyone this past year and I can't wait to be able to give it back!

:xf::xf::xf::xf::xf::xf:

I saw that someone said that the Oregon State supplemental application came out yesterday. I tried downloading it in late May and it already said "2012 Application," but I noticed that they had failed to update it in a few places (second page heading reads "2011 Supplemental DVM Admissions Application" and under section 3., GRE scores, it reads "List all GRE scores obtained within the last 5 years. Official GRE scores must be received by OSU CVM by October 1, 2011."

I thought they must have simply fixed all those pieces for yesterday but apparently not. Has anyone noticed this/contacted OSU about this?

I saw that someone said that the Oregon State supplemental application came out yesterday. I tried downloading it in late May and it already said "2012 Application," but I noticed that they had failed to update it in a few places (second page heading reads "2011 Supplemental DVM Admissions Application" and under section 3., GRE scores, it reads "List all GRE scores obtained within the last 5 years. Official GRE scores must be received by OSU CVM by October 1, 2011."

I thought they must have simply fixed all those pieces for yesterday but apparently not. Has anyone noticed this/contacted OSU about this?

Also, section 5 is still formatted for the 2011-2012 school year and not the 2012-2013 school year

So excited for all of you applying this year! I can't believe I was in your shoes a year ago this time. Good luck and feel free to ask us if you have any questions! (P.S. Just put up a blog post about applying to vet school--check it out.)

:luck::luck::luck::xf::xf::xf::luck::luck::luck:

For Penn, they only ask for a picture if you get offered an interview.

Yup. You just bring it with you on the day of the interview.

I wonder why the other schools require it with the supplemental. Are they confirming URM or something?

Yup. You just bring it with you on the day of the interview.

I wonder why the other schools require it with the supplemental. Are they confirming URM or something?
I'm sure they're just checking that you don't look creepy. Weed out the weirdos BEFORE interviews so that they don't get the creepers that might follow them home, ya know...... (I keed I keed)

Ok. I'm lazy. I know this. :laugh: Is there a super sweet website out there that lists which schools are requiring the new GRE or do I have to check them all individually
im-done-for-dramatic-demotivational-poster-1266359738_large.jpg

Edit: poop, didn't see the thread for this. Someone bumped so thanks!!

Last edited:
c/o 2017 applicants:

I am helping someone out with her personal statement and am having a blast doing it. Please feel free to message me if you want some help or another set of eyes! (Note: I will not be sharing copies of my PS unless you are a regular poster, but will be happy to offer advice regardless.)

Hey all!
Canadian applicant. 23 years old. I have an honours degree in Biology. I then spent a year taking additional undergrad courses with hope to improve my grades. This will be my third time applying.

My application is not due until November. Right now, I am starting to think about re-writing the GRE.

I do not have high hopes of getting an interview this time around. My grades are what is holding me back. All of my other assets are not evaluated unless I get an interview. :oops:.

This year, I will be taking a break from school to work because my debt is quite massive. I cannot afford to spend another year trying to improve my marks. I am going to let some of my science courses expire and re-take a year from now. My biology marks are excellent. Chemistry and physics wrecked me. I tried taking upper level chemistry and physics classes last year to improve my marks and my average did not even budge. Yet, somehow I made A's in everything else. :p.

I am working in a molecular biology lab this summer. If my position is extended until the winter, I am going to look into volunteering again. I am actually within close distance to farms (there are miniature horses up the road from me!), so I am going to see if I can get some LA experience. Also, my boyfriend recently made connections with a wildlife rehabilitation centre to do some photography, so I am allowed to tag along with him when he goes.

So, best of luck C/O 2017. :luck: I will be checking back periodically!!

I just wanted to add that the application criteria for the school I am allowed to apply to is very different from most of the schools in the states, based on what I have read (just in case some of you wanted to offer me advice based on what I have told you :D). I am not allowed to re-take school courses that are less than 6 years old and graduate level courses do not count towards my GPA for my application. I am getting worn out and broke from lying stagnant in undergrad coursework. I am still planning on applying and improving my application when I can, but I am also exploring other avenues: masters degree, vet tech program, or getting a lab technician certification.

I'm hoping for you expecially, Trem! Cheering for you:

537592-bigthumbnail.jpg

Of course I want everyone else to get in, too! :luck: