c/o 2018 applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Remi, I am with you about the not so spectacular undergrad GPA. I am hoping that some schools will look at my Grad school grades (which is MUCH better) and see that I can handle upper level courses. We shall see :/

So yeah, my cumulative GPA is in that really bad category. My last 45 hr GPA is significantly better.

I'm going to join the low cumulative (undergraduate) GPA club. :oops: I have no idea what I was doing during undergrad other than making a fool of myself academically. I have done really, really well in my graduate program (3.9) and my last 45 hours...I just don't know if it'll be enough to overcome my cGPA and sciGPA. :scared: I'd love to retake some undergrad courses for grade replacement purposes, but it's so hard when you work full-time and summer classes are usually MTWRF. :( Trying to stay positive, though!

Members don't see this ad.

I am a non-trad also (40 YO). This will be my 4th....yes, 4th application cycle. I am barely thinking about applications yet. It is in the back of my head though. I will definitely be applying to Auburn (contract), Tuskegee (contract), and Mississippi. Other possibles are Iowa, Dublin, Glasgow and/or Edinburgh. Nothing is definite yet except the first three.

I should retake the GRE (vomit). I also have to write a new PS....sigh.

I'm so happy to hear you're giving it another go! :xf: :xf: :xf:

I'm so happy to hear you're giving it another go! :xf: :xf: :xf:

Aaawwww, that is so sweet for you to say :cry::love: I was really waffling about another application cycle...but then I talked to Mississippi. Their feedback was the deciding factor. I am still waiting to hear back from Auburn.

Stats from Miss went like this: 894 applications, 810 from outside Miss, 340 interviews, 40ish OOS spots

I will have to hunker down and get things going soon.....

Members don't see this ad :)
Aaawwww, that is so sweet for you to say :cry::love: I was really waffling about another application cycle...but then I talked to Mississippi. Their feedback was the deciding factor. I am still waiting to hear back from Auburn.

Stats from Miss went like this: 894 applications, 810 from outside Miss, 340 interviews, 40ish OOS spots

They interviewed 340 OOS applicants for 40 spots :eek:, that seems very inconsiderate of people's travel expenses and time. I could see 80 or even 100, but over 300!

They interviewed 340 OOS applicants for 40 spots :eek:, that seems very inconsiderate of people's travel expenses and time. I could see 80 or even 100, but over 300!

That may be for all the seats...it was a little unclear. Nontheless, their class size is only 85. I was just thrilled to get an interview as an OOS considering my GPA.

That interview went fantastically so I was completely devastated when I got the rejection.

So you're waitlisted at Auburn? I'll hope to see you next year at Auburn if this year doesn't pan out!

At OSU they told us they interviewed ~ 400 for the 70 OOS spots! I am so grateful they liked me!!!

At OSU they told us they interviewed ~ 400 for the 70 OOS spots! I am so grateful they liked me!!!

Auburn's invitation to interview also said ~400 interviewers for 40 OOS spots... So I don't think its too rare. I believe Iowa State and Western invited a lot of people too for the limited spots (Sorry, I can't remember how many they told us at the interviews).

I'm sure this question has been asked and answered before, but does Ohio give you a 'clean slate' (like VMRCVM for the basis of acceptance solely on the interview)? Or do they weigh both application/scores/experience as well as the interview when deciding to offer acceptance?

ETA: And of course, congrats on your acceptance :)

Thank you - I completely missed the Selection Process page on their site!!

So you're waitlisted at Auburn? I'll hope to see you next year at Auburn if this year doesn't pan out!

No sorry...Auburn rejected me too. I can't contact to do an exit session until May 15th. A good friend of mine got into Tuskegee so I am thrilled for him (and jealous).

Thanks for the good thoughts though!:love:

Members don't see this ad :)
Just asked my second person for an eLOR, one to go!

I just wish exams were already over and it was June 5th, I am getting excited!

I prepping my application for my second go around. I'm currently wait listed at #8 at UMN, the school I will be applying to again this year. I just spoke with an admissions counsellor today to go over last year's application and I already have a list of things I can improve. Unfortunately my last 45-semester credit GPA has gone down significantly due to a low grade in a science course that I needed to repeat for my degree. I'm typically a near-straight-A student, but I got an F (yes, an F) so I had to repeat, but I'm now riding a comfortable A in that same class :eek:. So my cumulative GPA is good, 3.9+, but my last 45-semester GPA is going to be around 3.6 :( I'm retaking the GRE to see if I can get some more points added in there to make up for the last points in the GPA. I'm also trying to find about 30 hours of large animal experience this summer to add in there. I just wish I knew how it was all going to turn out either way so I didn't sit her with my insides in knots!

Is this a new policy at Auburn? Because I know I had a friend interview there last year who had at the most a 3.2 GPA. He didn't get accepted, but still interviewed.

It's true because I applied to Auburn this past cycle and had a 3.47 and when I asked for a file review they straight up told me that because I had a GPA lower than a 3.5 that I was cut right away

End of the semester is approaching quick! I need to get my stuff done so I can focus on applications... just when I thought my stress was over :scared:

Is this a new policy at Auburn? Because I know I had a friend interview there last year who had at the most a 3.2 GPA. He didn't get accepted, but still interviewed.

Yes it is new, before I turned in my application admissions told me they usually look for applicants with around a 3.2 GPA and 1000 GRE to get an interview. Then when I got the rejection letter and contacted them for a file review they told me they didn't interview anyone under a 3.5 GPA do to the increase in class size and hence increase in number of applicants.

Wish they would have know they wouldn't interview those with less than a 3.5 BEFORE I emailed them :mad:

At least now I know and I won't be applying there this cycle.

It's true because I applied to Auburn this past cycle and had a 3.47 and when I asked for a file review they straight up told me that because I had a GPA lower than a 3.5 that I was cut right away

I don't think this is totally true because I had a 3.48 and I was accepted! I think they take your GRE into account as well for your stats

2nd time applicant. Lower GPA. Hoping my near 30 credits I will have taken since last cycle, a revamped PS, more LA hours and if I retake the GRE (and can get all sections to the 70%+ range) will get me in this time!

Here's to this being our year :fingers crossed:

Sent from my MB612 using SDN Mobile

Last edited:
2nd time applicant. Lower GPA. Hoping my near 30 credits I will have taken since last cycle, a revamped PS, more LA hours and if I retake the GRE (and can get all sections to the 70%+ range) will get me in this time!

Here's to this being our year :fingers crossed:

Sent from my MB612 using SDN Mobile

:xf: for 2018! :luck:

I am trying to narrow down my list of schools I want to apply to and have it figured out by the time I retake the GRE in june...so far Florida is a definite because its my instate school and I was thinking to apply to Mississippi again because they said my academics were good just my essay needed to be better....the other schools I am thinking of are to pick 4-5 more are Washington, Iowa, Illinois, Kansas, Missouri, Virginia, Ohio, Penn, Western..every GPA is between 3.4-3.5, GRE I am retaking and I am studying and understanding it more so I feel that I can get at least 65% on both math and verbal, and I have around 5000 hours small animal, 21 hours food animal and equine at a farm owned by a veterinarian, a couple hours at marine, couple at zoo, couple at dairy farm, couple at equine clinic, few at equine therapy center, few hundred pet sitting, and am most likely to start shadowing an exotic vet soon

I am trying to narrow down my list of schools I want to apply to and have it figured out by the time I retake the GRE in june...so far Florida is a definite because its my instate school and I was thinking to apply to Mississippi again because they said my academics were good just my essay needed to be better....the other schools I am thinking of are to pick 4-5 more are Washington, Iowa, Illinois, Kansas, Missouri, Virginia, Ohio, Penn, Western..every GPA is between 3.4-3.5, GRE I am retaking and I am studying and understanding it more so I feel that I can get at least 65% on both math and verbal, and I have around 5000 hours small animal, 21 hours food animal and equine at a farm owned by a veterinarian, a couple hours at marine, couple at zoo, couple at dairy farm, couple at equine clinic, few at equine therapy center, few hundred pet sitting, and am most likely to start shadowing an exotic vet soon

As far as chances go, I would probably skip VMRCVM and Penn. Otherwise your choices sound pretty good. I personally would pass on Western just for the cost, but that's just me.

i know Penn's average GRE and GPA scores are higher....I was considering it because my boss graduated from there...but just curious why do you say no to virginia? what do you know about them? their GRE and GPA scores seem lower than other schools and they accept 40 oos and i was considering Virginia because my favorite doctor where I work now went there and I believe she is also writing my a recommendation letter this year

i know Penn's average GRE and GPA scores are higher....I was considering it because my boss graduated from there...but just curious why do you say no to virginia? what do you know about them? their GRE and GPA scores seem lower than other schools and they accept 40 oos and i was considering Virginia because my favorite doctor where I work now went there and I believe she is also writing my a recommendation letter this year

Well I didn't apply to VMRCVM, so I could be wrong and it might be worth applying. Their process is a little funky though. 70% of their initial score is based on academics, 30% on non-academic (essay, experience, etc). Then if you get past that round if you're accepted or not is only based on your interview (which is the multiple mini interview format). My point being that I've known really great applicants that didn't get accepted and got accepted many other places.

Well I didn't apply to VMRCVM, so I could be wrong and it might be worth applying. Their process is a little funky though. 70% of their initial score is based on academics, 30% on non-academic (essay, experience, etc). Then if you get past that round if you're accepted or not is only based on your interview (which is the multiple mini interview format). My point being that I've known really great applicants that didn't get accepted and got accepted many other places.

Yeah, their process is a little funky. I don't think it's unreasonable to apply there though. They definitely do put a lot of weight on numbers so a 3.5 isn't the best, but not too bad either; and if you get an interview, then that's all that matters. I was accepted there this cycle, I'll do my best if you have any questions about their process, iheartdogs.

ok Thanks to both of you...and frozen shades I know somebody who got an interview at VMRCVM last cycle with a 3.3 GPA....part of me wants to wait till I see my GRE scores and then compare them online to each school....I can't remember but when you take it do you have to put in right then which schools you want to send them to? or can you leave that part blank and send them to the four free ones after? I know starting with the fifth school it is like $25 per school

ok Thanks to both of you...and frozen shades I know somebody who got an interview at VMRCVM last cycle with a 3.3 GPA....part of me wants to wait till I see my GRE scores and then compare them online to each school....I can't remember but when you take it do you have to put in right then which schools you want to send them to? or can you leave that part blank and send them to the four free ones after? I know starting with the fifth school it is like $25 per school

I'm not 100%, but I'm fairly sure they're only free if you send them at the time of the test. So you might as well not waste the freebies.

I'm not 100%, but I'm fairly sure they're only free if you send them at the time of the test. So you might as well not waste the freebies.

Correct, they are not free if you don't send them at the time of the test. I didn't take advantage of my freebies bc I was worried the schools would lose them (very early in my app experience...I wasn't really sure what all was going on) and I thoroughly regret it. Soooooo much money...it helps to save any where you can.

ok thanks so i guess i will have to pick 4 definite ones and then decide on the rest later when i order additional ones

Correct, they are not free if you don't send them at the time of the test. I didn't take advantage of my freebies bc I was worried the schools would lose them (very early in my app experience...I wasn't really sure what all was going on) and I thoroughly regret it. Soooooo much money...it helps to save any where you can.
I did the same thing and I regret not being able to save the money!! Oh well! Guess we will pass on these words of wisdom to the next cycle of applicants!

So I am mentally starting to think about what activities/clubs/extracurricular etc stuff i want to put on my application and I need an opinion about some political work I've done. I really want to put it on my app b/c I think it's impressive but I also don't want to be dinged for it b/c one of the readers is a communist (JOKE) anyways you know what I mean. I know it can be a touchy subject, maybe I can put the experience without putting my political affiliations, but then I have a feeling it may come up IF (that's a big if) I get an interview.

So I am mentally starting to think about what activities/clubs/extracurricular etc stuff i want to put on my application and I need an opinion about some political work I've done. I really want to put it on my app b/c I think it's impressive but I also don't want to be dinged for it b/c one of the readers is a communist (JOKE) anyways you know what I mean. I know it can be a touchy subject, maybe I can put the experience without putting my political affiliations, but then I have a feeling it may come up IF (that's a big if) I get an interview.
Did you have any kind of leadership roles in the political work? If so, then I would really add it but I can definitely see your dilemma. They shouldn't ding you for your political affiliations because they're supposed to be neutral about that stuff, but that doesn't mean it'll work out like that. It might be worth the risk if you feel what you did had any helpful experience you might find in the veterinary field.

Did you have any kind of leadership roles in the political work? If so, then I would really add it but I can definitely see your dilemma. They shouldn't ding you for your political affiliations because they're supposed to be neutral about that stuff, but that doesn't mean it'll work out like that. It might be worth the risk if you feel what you did had any helpful experience you might find in the veterinary field.

yea, I was the state director for one of the presidential candidates and am now a state director for a super pac related to that candidate and the party, also possibly thinking about becoming an officer for our state party. I am definitely leaning towards adding it, but maybe without the party name, and if they really want to know they can ask?

yea, I was the state director for one of the presidential candidates and am now a state director for a super pac related to that candidate and the party, also possibly thinking about becoming an officer for our state party. I am definitely leaning towards adding it, but maybe without the party name, and if they really want to know they can ask?

I listed an internship in a congressional office on my app without naming the congresswoman (just as a community activity without mentioning it anywhere else).
Ohio State picked up on it and discussed it during my interview, talking kind of about what I learned, etc., why is this important for you to understand for vet med, and seemed to view it favorably.

Obviously, if you list a presidential candidate, party affiliation will be obvious, but it's something you can list without divulging name/party affiliation and I don't think it's unreasonable to do so. (And it is something you should list--that kind of leadership is a good thing to show you can do and party/candidate doesn't change the experience it provides.)

Looks like I might be joining you guys for the next cycle (which the OCD part of me is ok with because I'll graduate on an even number :rolleyes:) but my 4 waitlists don't seem to be moving anymore. I'm trying to work out what schools I want to apply to now that I have a better idea of the path I want to go down, which is mostly exotics/wildlife medicine. I plan on applying to WSU, KSU, and U of I once again and have Iowa, Wisconsin, LSU, Michigan, VMRCVM, Georgia, and Texas A&M on my very vague list and have decided not to apply to more than 6 mainly for money issues. I was wondering if anyone can help me narrow it down some more?
I'm also trying to decide what else I need to improve this time around. I've already taken the GRE twice so I really don't want to do a third because my score barely improved with twice the amount of studying for the verbal. In my review, I was told it was ok to add my high school years of orchestra and dance. Has anyone else done this? I feel a little awkward putting my fine arts classes as extra-curriculars but I wasn't a very outgoing teenager and I never gave myself free time during college between work, classes, and homework. I'm going to start volunteering at a wildlife rehabilitation center in 2 weeks once a week and hopefully will be volunteering at a horse rescue once a week. On top of that, I'll have about 3600 hours at the small/exotic animal practice I work at, a few hours of LA, a few hours of actual surgeries, 100 hours ish at a clinic from high school, a writing club in high school, lots of food service hours from work in college, some honor's awards, and babysitting birds/breeding them when I was younger. Is there anything else I should do to make my summer even crazier? :laugh:

I think it would be crazy to leave this kind of experience off your application!! Most, if not all vet schools look for leadership as a quality during the application process. I personally was asked about my leadership roles during my interview. I don't think divulging the candidate will affect your chances either, but I understand why you wouldn't want to. If you decide not to- I'm sure they will ask you about it and it will eventually come out.

Now that my classes are over, I get to start obsessing about the GRE and my Personal Statement...

Looks like I might be joining you guys for the next cycle (which the OCD part of me is ok with because I'll graduate on an even number :rolleyes:)

:thumbup: I thought I was the only one to think about something this trivial...

I plan on applying to WSU, KSU, and U of I once again and have Iowa, Wisconsin, LSU, Michigan, VMRCVM, Georgia, and Texas A&M on my very vague list and have decided not to apply to more than 6 mainly for money issues. I was wondering if anyone can help me narrow it down some more?

Forgive me as I don't know your stats or if you know acceptance rates for OOS applicants, but I think it may be prudent to leave Texas A&M and Georgia off your list because A&M accepts 10 (or less) OOS students and Georgia takes 1. Georgia may be accepting more than that this cycle, not sure. But at least not applying to A&M saves you from filling out two applications! I'm not looking forward to this, but A&M is my in-state, so I feel kind of obligated to apply there. Plus it's my undergrad, so I kinda like the place a little. :rolleyes: I've heard LSU has an awesome wildlife/exotic program, so I've been considering applying there, but I have far-from-stellar stats other than my Last 45 hours, so...I probably won't.

You're not the only one! Born in '90 and graduated in '08 and '12 (HS and undergrad). *shrug* Also, the superstitious part of me thinks that 2013 is just a bad year for me (I had a really ****ty first few months this year). :p

I think it would be crazy to leave this kind of experience off your application!! Most, if not all vet schools look for leadership as a quality during the application process. I personally was asked about my leadership roles during my interview. I don't think divulging the candidate will affect your chances either, but I understand why you wouldn't want to. If you decide not to- I'm sure they will ask you about it and it will eventually come out.

Thanks, I am going to add it, especially because it took up a lot of my time and I don't really have any other community/extracurricular activities or whatever that would be categorized as.Thanks for the advice everyone! I feel better about it!

Yea I was thinking I should too because I'm OOS everywhere. I've heard good things about Georgia's exotics program, but the probability of getting in seems too low to really try. My GPA is decent but not great and my GRE scores are average in the verbal and pretty good in quantative. I'm not excited about Louisiana because humidity and my light asthma do not get along but it might be worth it for their program. Thanks for your feedback by the way!

Yea I was thinking I should too because I'm OOS everywhere. I've heard good things about Georgia's exotics program, but the probability of getting in seems too low to really try. My GPA is decent but not great and my GRE scores are average in the verbal and pretty good in quantative. I'm not excited about Louisiana because humidity and my light asthma do not get along but it might be worth it for their program. Thanks for your feedback by the way!

College Station isn't much better when it comes to humidity. I've also heard a lot of former classmates complain that they never had allergies until they came down there either. :smuggrin: OK State has some pretty cool exotics electives it seems. I'm considering adding them to my list. Maybe check them out if you haven't already? :) And you're welcome!

Definitely not alone! However, it'll be exactly 10 years from me graduating from high school if I get in next cycle. That fact makes me go :eek:

Have you thought about applying to Tennessee? They are pretty well known for their exotics program.. They work with Tiger Haven, Knoxville Zoo, and other organizations...

College Station isn't much better when it comes to humidity. I've also heard a lot of former classmates complain that they never had allergies until they came down there either. :smuggrin: OK State has some pretty cool exotics electives it seems. I'm considering adding them to my list. Maybe check them out if you haven't already? :) And you're welcome!
I applied to them this year and got waitlisted. I'm not really sure if I want to apply again because I'm just not sure if I want to live in Oklahoma. I'm terrified of tornadoes and only am ok with Kansas because I've been on campus and I really like their programs. And I'm allergic to everything (including animals) so Texas won't change too much.

I've finally narrowed my list down to 7 schools. I'm pretty sure this will be the "final" list. Who knows, I'm always obsessing over it and second guessing myself, hah. I definitely have to admit, though, that my first application cycle was a good learning experience. I've already made tons of little notes on what to change in my "Experiences" section!

My current list: Davis (my ISS), Wazzu, CSU (if I decide to obtain residency), Ohio, NC State (2nd top choice), Wisconsin, and Cornell (1st choice. Not idea COA-wise, but my bf is going to grad school in NYC and I want to be as close to him as possible).
You should probably apply to Penn as well if you want to be as close to NYC as possible. I'm from NYC and Penn is a little less than 2hrs away while Cornell is about 4.5hrs away =/ . Tufts is also closer to NYC than Cornell.

Have you thought about applying to Tennessee? They are pretty well known for their exotics program.. They work with Tiger Haven, Knoxville Zoo, and other organizations...
If my microbiology counts for cellular biology then I possibly could but the community college doesn't have that course and it's too expensive to go to the university for one class. When I took organic chem over the summer it cost like 3k a semester.