California Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone know anything about Mount Saint Mary's program? I received an acceptance letter on Monday but neither the packet nor the website seem to have much information about them.
I got accepted to Mount St. Mary's too and am still waiting back to hear from Western but already had my interview there. I went to Mount St. Mary's info session and sat in on a class so if you're in the area and are able to do that next semester I would highly suggest it! It gave me a great insight into the program and allowed me to meet their teachers and students who all seemed great!

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats on your acceptances! How was the interview process for Western U?

Thanks! Western U's interview process was very...fast. Writing assignment was short and just to make sure you are the one who wrote the personal statement on PTCAS. 4 short interviews with 2 faculty members each. You definitely need to be able to think quickly on your feet. It was very comfortable though; I enjoyed my experience! It was my first interview and I thought the staff were very friendly and genuinely interested in what you had to say. They seem to be using the interview to get a feel of how you think and your character versus your stats and achievements, which I liked. Also, the earlier interview day you get the better since it's rolling admissions.

I got accepted to Mount St. Mary's too and am still waiting back to hear from Western but already had my interview there. I went to Mount St. Mary's info session and sat in on a class so if you're in the area and are able to do that next semester I would highly suggest it! It gave me a great insight into the program and allowed me to meet their teachers and students who all seemed great!

I wish I could go check out Mount St. Mary's but I live 7 hours away and have work/volunteering 7 days a week unfortunately. Would you mind sharing your experiences with them? Was there anything unique about the program that helped them stand out? Do they seem up to date with their technology/lab equipment/teaching methods? How is the community there? The fact that I couldn't find much information about the program on their website and the packet they mailed us is a little unnerving to me. Do you know which school you are leaning more towards?

Thanks! Hope you hear back from Western soon :)

Thanks for the advice kay4see! Unfortunately, I chose the later interview date because it was the only one I could attend!

Members don't see this ad :)
I haven't heard back either : /
I was checking almost every minute leading up to 6pm lol
So I still didn't hear anything back this morning, so I sent SMU an email. They sent me the official rejection email a couple hours later. So if you haven't heard anything yet shoot them an email!

Just got an invite to Fresno...anybody know or heard things about the program?

Reactions: 1 user
I got an invitation from Fresno too! Don't know much about the program either, but I think their tuition is the cheapest? My friend is a 1st year there and he loves it there; will probably ask him more about it soon :) Congrats!

And @Tyguy1 good luck on your interview!

I got an invitation from Fresno too! Don't know much about the program either, but I think their tuition is the cheapest? My friend is a 1st year there and he loves it there; will probably ask him more about it soon :) Congrats!

Thank you! I also received my interview invite for Fresno!

Cool! Congrats to you too! :clap:It is the cheapest option in California (next to UCSF...I forget which one is cheaper)...it's about $68,000 for all 3 years. Surprisingly, CSUN is around $85,000 even though they are both cal state universities. The only downside is Fresno is a pretty crappy town from what I've heard. But please let me know what your friend thinks of the program...I'd love to hear more about it!

Cool! Congrats to you too! :clap:It is the cheapest option in California (next to UCSF...I forget which one is cheaper)...it's about $68,000 for all 3 years. Surprisingly, CSUN is around $85,000 even though they are both cal state universities. The only downside is Fresno is a pretty crappy town from what I've heard. But please let me know what your friend thinks of the program...I'd love to hear more about it!

I can't comment on their program, but I lived in Fresno for over 20 years. I attend CSULB for PT school. You do save money going to Fresno State. The cost of living is cheaper in Fresno compared to the Bay Area or SOCAL, but Fresno is kind of crappy. The winters are cold and foggy and the summers reach well over 100. The weather can be shocking for people from SOCAL or the Bay. There isn't much going on as far as a bar scene or entertainment.

CSULB is about 72k for all 3 years, but many of us get a $8k grant a year to attend CSULB. I really enjoy living in SOCAL and do not miss Fresno. I wish I had more free time to enjoy all the things going on around me. PT school can be time consuming.

I can't comment on their program, but I lived in Fresno for over 20 years. I attend CSULB for PT school. You do save money going to Fresno State. The cost of living is cheaper in Fresno compared to the Bay Area or SOCAL, but Fresno is kind of crappy. The winters are cold and foggy and the summers reach well over 100. The weather can be shocking for people from SOCAL or the Bay. There isn't much going on as far as a bar scene or entertainment.

CSULB is about 72k for all 3 years, but many of us get a $8k grant a year to attend CSULB. I really enjoy living in SOCAL and do not miss Fresno. I wish I had more free time to enjoy all the things going on around me. PT school can be time consuming.
Oh yeah I forgot about CSULB...I couldn't apply there cuz I was missing a pre-req, but that's a great affordable school to go to as well. That's weird how CSUN is moderately more expensive than the other state schools. But yeah my dad did his residency in Fresno and said it wasn't that great of an area. But I figure that I'll check it out since it's within a reasonable distance and this is the only time in my life I will be interviewing for PT school

Oh yeah I forgot about CSULB...I couldn't apply there cuz I was missing a pre-req, but that's a great affordable school to go to as well. That's weird how CSUN is moderately more expensive than the other state schools. But yeah my dad did his residency in Fresno and said it wasn't that great of an area. But I figure that I'll check it out since it's within a reasonable distance and this is the only time in my life I will be interviewing for PT school
What prereq are you missing? I thought the same thing and I found a substitution they accepted.

I didn't take Biology II, as it wasn't offered at the community college I was taking my pre-reqs at. I took Zoology instead, which most other PT programs accepted as a substitute for Bio II. But CSULB wouldn't accept it as a substitute, they wanted Microbiology (which I didn't take). And apparently they made it so that you cannot have any outstanding pre-reqs past Fall semester due to the high number of applicants.

I also was already taking 3 science classes this past semester, and didn't wanna add microbiology to the mix and risk getting bad grades just to satisfy one school's requirements.

Oh. I took micro because most schools accepted that instead of bio 2. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah I took zoology instead cuz it was lesser units haha...Thanks, good luck to you too!

Hey, what do you mean by 8k grant a year?
Is it what all california residents get, or is that just CSULB only?
What is the name of the grant?

Hey CSUF applicants. I got an interview rsvp email on December 12th and said yes to the rsvp. Has anyone else not gotten another email with an interview date? I emailed them a few days ago with no response.

Hey CSUF applicants. I got an interview rsvp email on December 12th and said yes to the rsvp. Has anyone else not gotten another email with an interview date? I emailed them a few days ago with no response.
I have not received any confirmation on a specific interview date! I also responded to the RSVP around the same time! I hope to receive some news soon!

I have not received any confirmation on a specific interview date! I also responded to the RSVP around the same time! I hope to receive some news soon!

Thank you so much haha I started to think that I messed up the RSVP somehow. Someone else on this forum got an interview date so I didn't wanna get forgotten.

I never received a confirmation e-mail either after RSVP'ing for the interview. I just e-mailed them asking if I could interview on the 30th instead of the 23rd, so I'm hoping to hear back soon.

Same here, I called but their office is closed until tomorrow. I'm gonna call their office around 9am tomorrow to confirm.

Did CSUN email you to tell you that you were an alternate? They also told you your place on the alt list? I'm wondering if they've sent out all the notifications yet. I haven't received anything.

Delayed response...sorry...

CSUN's email said that I was a low alternate and my ranking was below the top 150 candidates.

I got wait listed from CSUN below the top 150. I also received interviews from UCSF, Sam Merritt, and UOP. I also applied to long beach and USC but haven't heard anything yet.

Is anyone attending the open house at USC on the 17th?

Hey @Cam Connection! It's for admitted students I believe (I saw your post about not hearing back yet-- good luck!!) but I can look through my email for the info if you'd like :) I honestly don't remember but I will definitely find out!

Hey waitlisted CSUN applicants,

Do you have to fill out a CSUMentor application to be taken off the waitlist?
I'm confused because it says it will notify me promptly once space becomes available, but it also says a CSUMentor application is due by May 30th (+ all transcripts). I wonder if this is only for accepted applicants or something that waitlisted applicants must do.

Hey waitlisted CSUN applicants,

Do you have to fill out a CSUMentor application to be taken off the waitlist?
I'm confused because it says it will notify me promptly once space becomes available, but it also says a CSUMentor application is due by May 30th (+ all transcripts). I wonder if this is only for accepted applicants or something that waitlisted applicants must do.
Only if you are accepted !

Hey sabino3, I'll be attending CSULBs program this summer and I'm also getting my financial aid in order. Do you think you could send me the same info on grants? I'm assuming the only option is through FAFSA but have you come across other options? And how long did it take for FAFSA to get back to you with the available grant(s). I'd really appreciate it!

Hey sabino3, I'll be attending CSULBs program this summer and I'm also getting my financial aid in order. Do you think you could send me the same info on grants? I'm assuming the only option is through FAFSA but have you come across other options? And how long did it take for FAFSA to get back to you with the available grant(s). I'd really appreciate it!
If you don't mind me asking, what were your stats when you applied for ED? Thank you in advance!

If you don't mind me asking, what were your stats when you applied for ED? Thank you in advance!
Sent it to you in a conversation. Call me weird but I don't know if I want all my info out there. Haha.

I think it is only for CSULB and it is income based CA residents. None of the other Csu's have it that I know of.

Has anyone heard back from Chapman yet? They said they would start notifying people in December!

All I heard from Chapman was for the Academic Update. Their deadline is Jan 16 - so maybe we will start hearing soon? I hope! I'm waiting on updates from them and CSULB.

I haven't heard from UCSF yet, keeping my fingers crossed and checking my email non stop

Just got an interview invite with Fresno State! :D

I haven't heard from UCSF yet, keeping my fingers crossed and checking my email non stop
I would probably email them. I got an invite to the interview weekend and it's on the 23rd of January

Hey everyone interviewing at CSUF! I just got my interview confirmation for 1/31. Is anyone else going that day?

Last edited:
Yup, I'll be there on the 31st as well.

Sorry late response! My friend loves the Fresno program. He says they have their first graduating doctorate class this year. It's a small class size with very personable professors who do their best to provide the best care for their students. There's also a cadaver lab, which I think is great, and apparently the library is amazing haha.

Reactions: 1 users
Yup! I'll be there on the 31st as well.... woot woot!

I'll be there on the 31st as well!

What time is your interview group to those going on the 31st to Fresno State?

Goodluck to everyone at UCSF this weekend! I'll be there also! Hoping for the best!

Hey guys. I just got accepted into Csun. I was number 11 on the wait list.

Reactions: 3 users