This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

reyneer

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey SDN!

I am a Canadian MSc. student who is applying to U.S. MD and DO schools this year. Given the disadvantage that Canadians face as out-of-state/international applicants to the U.S., I want to hedge my bets by applying to a post-bacc program. I've read about the linkages that some programs offer and I am wondering which of these you would recommend to a Canadian (keep in mind I have tried to keep these to Canadian-friendly schools as possible, but some are not). Would any of these help a Canadian applicant?

1) UCSF MSBI program
2) VCU CERT
3) UC San Diego Premedical Program
4) Boston University MAMS
5) NYMC Basic Medical Sciences Interdisciplinary Program - Accelerated
6) Rosalind Franklin
7) Rutgers New Brunswick
8) Wayne State

Members don't see this ad.

We need more information to help. Have you taken your prerequisites for medical school admissions? Are you looking for GPA boosting or MCAT prep or just strictly the strongest linkage to a medical school?

Also, from a strict linkage standpoint, Temple ACHS/ACMS, Tulane ACLP, and RFU BMS have the best chances of matriculating into their schools. The other programs you listed, most of which I don't know much about, have very low odds of matriculating according to what the general consensus is on the internet. I would start with investigating these schools to see if they have a strict no international applicants policy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 users
We need more information to help. Have you taken your prerequisites for medical school admissions? Are you looking for GPA boosting or MCAT prep or just strictly the strongest linkage to a medical school?
Sure thing!

Here are my stats - GPA: 3.72, MCAT: 512, lots of research and extracurriculars.

I have taken the pre-reqs for most medical school and post-baccs (I just need to take a full year of english this year, just in time to be done before hearing about interviews etc next year)

I am looking to both increase my GPA standing a bit, as well as to find meaningful linkages that can help me gain experience that the admissions committee of that school (or another U.S. medical school) will look upon favourably. I think that ideally, the best thing to have would be a good linkage as well as a high rate of alumni acceptance into medical school (but I always wonder if Canadians are included in this, or are they thrown back out into the unfavourable international applicant category after the post-bacc)

Members don't see this ad :)
Sure thing!

Here are my stats - GPA: 3.72, MCAT: 512, lots of research and extracurriculars.

I have taken the pre-reqs for most medical school and post-baccs (I just need to take a full year of english this year, just in time to be done before hearing about interviews etc next year)

I am looking to both increase my GPA standing a bit, as well as to find meaningful linkages that can help me gain experience that the admissions committee of that school (or another U.S. medical school) will look upon favourably. I think that ideally, the best thing to have would be a good linkage as well as a high rate of alumni acceptance into medical school (but I always wonder if Canadians are included in this, or are they thrown back out into the unfavourable international applicant category after the post-bacc)
So I misspoke before. Unless you have been waitlisted at a US MD or DO medical school, you can't apply to Tulane ACLP. Sorry. But Temple and RFU are both great bets for you. I wouldn't even hassle with the other programs if you are looking for linkage.

So I misspoke before. Unless you have been waitlisted at a US MD or DO medical school, you can't apply to Tulane ACLP. Sorry. But Temple and RFU are both great bets for you. I wouldn't even hassle with the other programs if you are looking for linkage.
Thanks for the advice! I think RFU is a great bet. However, I think that Temple might be a problem for me, because I don't have U.S. citizenship or permanent residency. This is what their website says:

"Lewis Katz School of Medicine will only consider applications from U.S. citizens or non-citizens who have permanent resident or refugee/asylee status with the U.S. Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS). Applicants with permanent resident or refugee/asylee status will be required to upload this documentation to their application under Supplemental Items."

What do you think?

Thanks for the advice! I think RFU is a great bet. However, I think that Temple might be a problem for me, because I don't have U.S. citizenship or permanent residency. This is what their website says:

"Lewis Katz School of Medicine will only consider applications from U.S. citizens or non-citizens who have permanent resident or refugee/asylee status with the U.S. Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS). Applicants with permanent resident or refugee/asylee status will be required to upload this documentation to their application under Supplemental Items."

What do you think?
Damn, I didn't see that. Sorry again. I agree with you about RFU BMS, I think it would be your best chance assuming they do accept international applicants. Why don't you try to get into a Canadian medical school?

Damn, I didn't see that. Sorry again. I agree with you about RFU BMS, I think it would be your best chance assuming they do accept international applicants. Why don't you try to get into a Canadian medical school?

Unfortunately I have applied to Canadian schools, and haven't had any success so far. If not the US, the only other options would be Ireland or Caribbean (which are a huge risk)

Canadian pre-meds (especially those in Ontario, such as myself) are in a horrible position where getting in is EXTREMELY competitive. There are 6 schools in Ontario but because of shortage of staff to read applications, as well as residency spots for MD graduates, the entry requirements are ridiculously high. For example, the average GPA is 3.9 (i.e. UofT), while other schools require an MCAT CARS score of 129+ just to consider your application (i.e. Western and McMaster).

Unfortunately I have applied to Canadian schools, and haven't had any success so far. If not the US, the only other options would be Ireland or Caribbean (which are a huge risk)

Canadian pre-meds (especially those in Ontario, such as myself) are in a horrible position where getting in is EXTREMELY competitive. There are 6 schools in Ontario but because of shortage of staff to read applications, as well as residency spots for MD graduates, the entry requirements are ridiculously high. For example, the average GPA is 3.9 (i.e. UofT), while other schools require an MCAT CARS score of 129+ just to consider your application (i.e. Western and McMaster).
How hard would it be to gain citizenship in the US?

Valid question, but I think that it goes beyond the scope of what we know and can post about in this thread. I'll have to look into it going forward.