You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Cardiothoracic Anesthesia Fellowship 2023
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
It's a smaller program (3 fellows / year), and you are the "echo fellow" as in you'll be supervising the majority of the cases with residents. They do most types of procedures over there (heart and lung transplants, different mechanical support devices, aortic surgeries, mitraclips, etc.) Everyone I know who graduated from that program feels very comfortable. There are pros/cons to supervision fellowships (the fellows there almost never called in to do any washouts or take-backs) vs. other large volume institutions that rely on fellows sit for all types of cases.
Thoracic regional is one area that they're trying to grow. TEPs are common but newer plane blocks are still being adopted.
Thoracic regional is one area that they're trying to grow. TEPs are common but newer plane blocks are still being adopted.
Has anyone had an invite from UW?Just curious if anyone has any thoughts/experience with University of Washington's program? I don't much about it or know people from there... Applied but haven't heard yet
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
A couple of my co-residents have received interviews at UW. I'd be interested to hear how their anesthesia residency and fellowships have been affected by the recent labor negotiations.Has anyone had an invite from UW?
I got an invite on 2/8Has anyone had an invite from UW?
PrimeThePump4
New Member
Waitlist from Mayo and rejection from UCLA this week. Honestly, not sure how to feel about these. Obviously bummed that I was not picked for an interview, but it serves as evidence programs are still reviewing some applications.
Was also wondering if anyone could comment on whether or not they know if programs are going to self-fill again this year. Based on last year's thread it seems that a surprising number of institutions did. Just wondering if this is the reason why we haven't heard from a few select programs.
Was also wondering if anyone could comment on whether or not they know if programs are going to self-fill again this year. Based on last year's thread it seems that a surprising number of institutions did. Just wondering if this is the reason why we haven't heard from a few select programs.
Thanks 🙏🏼 this helpsIt's a smaller program (3 fellows / year), and you are the "echo fellow" as in you'll be supervising the majority of the cases with residents. They do most types of procedures over there (heart and lung transplants, different mechanical support devices, aortic surgeries, mitraclips, etc.) Everyone I know who graduated from that program feels very comfortable. There are pros/cons to supervision fellowships (the fellows there almost never called in to do any washouts or take-backs) vs. other large volume institutions that rely on fellows sit for all types of cases.
Thoracic regional is one area that they're trying to grow. TEPs are common but newer plane blocks are still being adopted.
Any recent invites? Or news on the remaining Boston programs?
I really think the same top applicants are all hoarding interviews because its virtual and programs will fall further down their list bc of itKinda bummed out. Only 4 invites now and seems pretty late to be getting anymore. Must be a very competitive year.
I’ve gotten two invites and three rejections this week. You might still hear from programs.Kinda bummed out. Only 4 invites now and seems pretty late to be getting anymore. Must be a very competitive year.
Mind if I ask where those rejections were from? I have a couple places I'm hoping to hear from, fingers crossedI’ve gotten two invites and three rejections this week. You might still hear from programs.
Allegheny, Utah, Cedars-SinaiMind if I ask where those rejections were from? I have a couple places I'm hoping to hear from, fingers crossed
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I agree. I got an invite this week from Minnesota but ended up rejecting it.One invite this week so programs are still going through applications...that's for sure. Most likely not too many but still.
Last edited:
Just cancelled my Baylor Scott and White interview for 4/5. Hopefully one of you get an invite if you’re interested
Did you get wait till you got your t-shirt first? LolJust cancelled my Baylor Scott and White interview for 4/5. Hopefully one of you get an invite if you’re interested
Also still getting invites. UAB and yale this past week
Lol I tried to tell them before they send it out but we’ll see haven’t gotten anything yetDid you get wait till you got your t-shirt first? Lol
Do you think it is too late to cancel an interview for Wednesday? I have decided not to rank some places for geographical and personal reasons as the year has gone on and I’m thinking about things, and talked to a mentor this week. I don’t want to be seen as rude, but I’d also like to give someone else the opportunity since it’s on zoom and there isn’t travel involved
D
deleted87051
Do you think it is too late to cancel an interview for Wednesday? I have decided not to rank some places for geographical and personal reasons as the year has gone on and I’m thinking about things, and talked to a mentor this week. I don’t want to be seen as rude, but I’d also like to give someone else the opportunity since it’s on zoom and there isn’t travel involved
If you have no intention of going there, the best thing to do is cancel.
flexmedetomidine
New Member
Does anyone have any insight into the california programs or west coast programs in general in terms of reputation and training?
Canceled 3 interviews so hope someone else gets some invites. I got 2 invites last week, so maybe there are a few left
Tough application cycle. Best of luck everyone.
For sure. I feel like I'm sitting slightly below the middle of the pack with 8 interviews, but can only hope to match at this point.Tough application cycle. Best of luck everyone.
Anyone hearing back from more programs this week?
I'm a DO entering Anesthesiology!
However, I have a question, do any DO's on here have insight on this? Should I take Step 3 or Level 3 if I'm interested in fellowship?
However, I have a question, do any DO's on here have insight on this? Should I take Step 3 or Level 3 if I'm interested in fellowship?
Doesn’t matter. Save your money and don’t waste your time. I’ve been really pleased with the interviews I’ve gotten this season and didn’t take it.I'm a DO entering Anesthesiology!
However, I have a question, do any DO's on here have insight on this? Should I take Step 3 or Level 3 if I'm interested in fellowship?
Yeah, definitely don't need step 3. Stick with Level 3.I'm a DO entering Anesthesiology!
However, I have a question, do any DO's on here have insight on this? Should I take Step 3 or Level 3 if I'm interested in fellowship?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Anyone familiar with these programs: Tufts, Yale, Monte,& U Maryland? Any thoughts?
Based on my interview experience 2 years ago, not whole lot of difference in terms of quality of training. You will get solid training at any of them. Rank based on where you want to live for a year, and where you will want to live after fellowship.
Any thoughts or suggestions on sending love letters? When to send? wording? Whether to send at all?
Does anybody think it makes a difference?
Does anybody think it makes a difference?
I asked a CTA attending about this and he said he deletes them without reading them, but that was for resident interviews. 🤷♀️Any thoughts or suggestions on sending love letters? When to send? wording? Whether to send at all?
Does anybody think it makes a difference?
D
deleted545787
I only took level 3 because I thought step 3 had no utility for me anymore. IDK how much it affected my rank but some institutes did ask about step 3, after informing them that my license is dependent on level 3 they understood my reasoning. Now did it affect my chances of matching at some places? I'm not sure.I'm a DO entering Anesthesiology!
However, I have a question, do any DO's on here have insight on this? Should I take Step 3 or Level 3 if I'm interested in fellowship?
would I go back in time and take step 3? No
I think you would have to take step 2 CS to take step 3?I only took level 3 because I thought step 3 had no utility for me anymore. IDK how much it affected my rank but some institutes did ask about step 3, after informing them that my license is dependent on level 3 they understood my reasoning. Now did it affect my chances of matching at some places? I'm not sure.
would I go back in time and take step 3? No
But yeah even if you can just take level 3. No one cares about it as long as you pass
Another question because I can't find it online, do fellows at University of Colorado rotate through National Jewish Health? Is that an affiliated hospital?
It won't hurt you, but it's mostly unnecessary. After being PD for so many years, you realize that some applicants just simply lie about being top choice, etc. It's much more impactful to have an attending at your institution make a phone call on your behalf to your actual top choice. Then, the PD knows you are more truthful since someone else has some reputational skin in the game.Any thoughts or suggestions on sending love letters? When to send? wording? Whether to send at all?
Does anybody think it makes a difference?
From their Program Coordinator "The ACTA fellowship has clinical sites at the University of Colorado – Anschutz Medical Campus and Children’s Hospital of Colorado. We do not have a relationship with National Jewish Hospital although occasionally we will have patients referred from NJH to one of our surgeons for thoracic surgery"Another question because I can't find it online, do fellows at University of Colorado rotate through National Jewish Health? Is that an affiliated hospital?
Anyone remember which programs that fellows do mostly solo. Also when are rank lists due?
Incoming PGY-1 as a DO. What could I be doing to be competitive for CV fellowship?
June 2nd noon pstAnyone remember which programs that fellows do mostly solo. Also when are rank lists due?
cardanescrit
New Member
Anyone know what time they will release the match results tomorrow ?
0900 PTAnyone know what time they will release the match results tomorrow ?
Congratulations everyone who matched today!!! 😀
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
cardanescrit
New Member
Congratulations to everyone who matched ! Saw 10 programs with vacancies including some big name ones. Seems way more unfilled programs than the prior years! Wonder if is due to a smaller applicant pool or if it is the virtual interview process ?!
I would maybe apply to an unfilled spot and be a badass duel anesthesiologist but I Don’t think I can waste another year anymore
what programs went unfilled? Asking for a friendCongratulations to everyone who matched ! Saw 10 programs with vacancies including some big name ones. Seems way more unfilled programs than the prior years! Wonder if is due to a smaller applicant pool or if it is the virtual interview process ?!
cardanescrit
New Member
Well I guess emory didn't even rank me lol
Similar threads
- Replies
- 86
- Views
- 27K
- Replies
- 150
- Views
- 56K
- Replies
- 4
- Views
- 4K