Cardiothoracic Anesthesia Fellowship 2023

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just curious if anyone has any thoughts/experience with University of Washington's program? I don't much about it or know people from there... Applied but haven't heard yet

Members don't see this ad.

It's a smaller program (3 fellows / year), and you are the "echo fellow" as in you'll be supervising the majority of the cases with residents. They do most types of procedures over there (heart and lung transplants, different mechanical support devices, aortic surgeries, mitraclips, etc.) Everyone I know who graduated from that program feels very comfortable. There are pros/cons to supervision fellowships (the fellows there almost never called in to do any washouts or take-backs) vs. other large volume institutions that rely on fellows sit for all types of cases.

Thoracic regional is one area that they're trying to grow. TEPs are common but newer plane blocks are still being adopted.

Reactions: 1 users
Just curious if anyone has any thoughts/experience with University of Washington's program? I don't much about it or know people from there... Applied but haven't heard yet
Has anyone had an invite from UW?

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone had an invite from UW?
A couple of my co-residents have received interviews at UW. I'd be interested to hear how their anesthesia residency and fellowships have been affected by the recent labor negotiations.

Reactions: 1 user
Waitlist from Mayo and rejection from UCLA this week. Honestly, not sure how to feel about these. Obviously bummed that I was not picked for an interview, but it serves as evidence programs are still reviewing some applications.

Was also wondering if anyone could comment on whether or not they know if programs are going to self-fill again this year. Based on last year's thread it seems that a surprising number of institutions did. Just wondering if this is the reason why we haven't heard from a few select programs.

It's a smaller program (3 fellows / year), and you are the "echo fellow" as in you'll be supervising the majority of the cases with residents. They do most types of procedures over there (heart and lung transplants, different mechanical support devices, aortic surgeries, mitraclips, etc.) Everyone I know who graduated from that program feels very comfortable. There are pros/cons to supervision fellowships (the fellows there almost never called in to do any washouts or take-backs) vs. other large volume institutions that rely on fellows sit for all types of cases.

Thoracic regional is one area that they're trying to grow. TEPs are common but newer plane blocks are still being adopted.
Thanks 🙏🏼 this helps

Does anyone know how Loma Linda’s program is? Fellow satisfaction?

Kinda bummed out. Only 4 invites now and seems pretty late to be getting anymore. Must be a very competitive year.

Kinda bummed out. Only 4 invites now and seems pretty late to be getting anymore. Must be a very competitive year.
I really think the same top applicants are all hoarding interviews because its virtual and programs will fall further down their list bc of it

I’ve gotten two invites and three rejections this week. You might still hear from programs.

One invite this week so programs are still going through applications...that's for sure. Most likely not too many but still.

Members don't see this ad :)
I’ve gotten two invites and three rejections this week. You might still hear from programs.
Mind if I ask where those rejections were from? I have a couple places I'm hoping to hear from, fingers crossed

One invite this week so programs are still going through applications...that's for sure. Most likely not too many but still.
I agree. I got an invite this week from Minnesota but ended up rejecting it.

Last edited:
Just cancelled my Baylor Scott and White interview for 4/5. Hopefully one of you get an invite if you’re interested

Do you think it is too late to cancel an interview for Wednesday? I have decided not to rank some places for geographical and personal reasons as the year has gone on and I’m thinking about things, and talked to a mentor this week. I don’t want to be seen as rude, but I’d also like to give someone else the opportunity since it’s on zoom and there isn’t travel involved

Do you think it is too late to cancel an interview for Wednesday? I have decided not to rank some places for geographical and personal reasons as the year has gone on and I’m thinking about things, and talked to a mentor this week. I don’t want to be seen as rude, but I’d also like to give someone else the opportunity since it’s on zoom and there isn’t travel involved

If you have no intention of going there, the best thing to do is cancel.

Reactions: 2 users
Does anyone have any insight into the california programs or west coast programs in general in terms of reputation and training?

Canceled 3 interviews so hope someone else gets some invites. I got 2 invites last week, so maybe there are a few left

I'm a DO entering Anesthesiology!

However, I have a question, do any DO's on here have insight on this? Should I take Step 3 or Level 3 if I'm interested in fellowship?

However, I have a question, do any DO's on here have insight on this? Should I take Step 3 or Level 3 if I'm interested in fellowship?
Doesn’t matter. Save your money and don’t waste your time. I’ve been really pleased with the interviews I’ve gotten this season and didn’t take it.

Yeah, definitely don't need step 3. Stick with Level 3.

Anyone familiar with these programs: Tufts, Yale, Monte,& U Maryland? Any thoughts?

Based on my interview experience 2 years ago, not whole lot of difference in terms of quality of training. You will get solid training at any of them. Rank based on where you want to live for a year, and where you will want to live after fellowship.

Any thoughts or suggestions on sending love letters? When to send? wording? Whether to send at all?

Does anybody think it makes a difference?

Any thoughts or suggestions on sending love letters? When to send? wording? Whether to send at all?

I asked a CTA attending about this and he said he deletes them without reading them, but that was for resident interviews. 🤷‍♀️

I only took level 3 because I thought step 3 had no utility for me anymore. IDK how much it affected my rank but some institutes did ask about step 3, after informing them that my license is dependent on level 3 they understood my reasoning. Now did it affect my chances of matching at some places? I'm not sure.

would I go back in time and take step 3? No

I only took level 3 because I thought step 3 had no utility for me anymore. IDK how much it affected my rank but some institutes did ask about step 3, after informing them that my license is dependent on level 3 they understood my reasoning. Now did it affect my chances of matching at some places? I'm not sure.

would I go back in time and take step 3? No
I think you would have to take step 2 CS to take step 3?
But yeah even if you can just take level 3. No one cares about it as long as you pass

Another question because I can't find it online, do fellows at University of Colorado rotate through National Jewish Health? Is that an affiliated hospital?

It won't hurt you, but it's mostly unnecessary. After being PD for so many years, you realize that some applicants just simply lie about being top choice, etc. It's much more impactful to have an attending at your institution make a phone call on your behalf to your actual top choice. Then, the PD knows you are more truthful since someone else has some reputational skin in the game.

Reactions: 3 users
Another question because I can't find it online, do fellows at University of Colorado rotate through National Jewish Health? Is that an affiliated hospital?
From their Program Coordinator "The ACTA fellowship has clinical sites at the University of Colorado – Anschutz Medical Campus and Children’s Hospital of Colorado. We do not have a relationship with National Jewish Hospital although occasionally we will have patients referred from NJH to one of our surgeons for thoracic surgery"

Anyone remember which programs that fellows do mostly solo. Also when are rank lists due?

Incoming PGY-1 as a DO. What could I be doing to be competitive for CV fellowship?

Congratulations everyone who matched today!!! :D

Reactions: 8 users
Congratulations to everyone who matched ! Saw 10 programs with vacancies including some big name ones. Seems way more unfilled programs than the prior years! Wonder if is due to a smaller applicant pool or if it is the virtual interview process ?!

I would maybe apply to an unfilled spot and be a badass duel anesthesiologist but I Don’t think I can waste another year anymore

Congratulations to everyone who matched ! Saw 10 programs with vacancies including some big name ones. Seems way more unfilled programs than the prior years! Wonder if is due to a smaller applicant pool or if it is the virtual interview process ?!
what programs went unfilled? Asking for a friend