Cardiothoracic Anesthesia Fellowship 2023

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
As ACTA fellowships become more competitive, I bet they are increasingly being filled by internal candidates. It’s really a win-win for both the candidates and the programs. Something for medical students to consider when ranking residencies.
Also, there are more people applying to combined each year, so if you are looking for cardiac-only spots, there are fewer available.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
As ACTA fellowships become more competitive, I bet they are increasingly being filled by internal candidates. It’s really a win-win for both the candidates and the programs. Something for medical students to consider when ranking residencies.
Are they becoming more competitive? The match rates been going up recently

To any of those out there that have been through this experience before - or perhaps those that know the process more intimately:

- Is it safe to say if we know the program sent out interview invites already - and we didn't get one - that we are effectively rejected from that program?

It seems like programs are only sending out one "round" of invites for interviews and that's it. Just trying to consolidate the amount of programs I should be pouring my anxious energy into.

To any of those out there that have been through this experience before - or perhaps those that know the process more intimately:

- Is it safe to say if we know the program sent out interview invites already - and we didn't get one - that we are effectively rejected from that program?

It seems like programs are only sending out one "round" of invites for interviews and that's it. Just trying to consolidate the amount of programs I should be pouring my anxious energy into.
I think it depends on the program. I got two interview invites few days- a week after someone else got hers/his.

But about the rejection emails, I am starting to think rejection > no word. Rejection means at least they looked at your app closely..

Reactions: 1 user
I'm definitely trying to leave my program and learn from other people. 4 months of cards, 1 thoracic and 1 TEE. That's pretty much a fellowship, I wouldn't want to stay for another year.

Are they becoming more competitive? The match rates been going up recently
The increase in match rate is due to small programs increasing their size. I can tell you that highly competitive programs have a lot of their spots already filled with combined applicants from the year prior, so it is more difficult to match at those programs. I would say it is getting easier to match at any program, but more difficult to match at more competitive programs.

I went through the process last year and just checked when I got interviews. I received 7 interviews after February 1st. including 3 in March. Two of the three in March I’d consider at least top ten programs if not higher. I’m from a middle of the road residency but i would say I was a solid applicant (had to be given where I’m coming from) Where I matched is probably considered top tier by most people. Ultimately, once I knew it was my number one I had everyone I knew with a connection contact their contacts at the program. I would also agree with another poster that if I was to do residency ranklist again I would choose a program with fellowships all other things being equal. Really Would’ve been nice to have a fallback.

Reactions: 7 users
I went through the process last year and just checked when I got interviews. I received 7 interviews after February 1st. including 3 in March. Two of the three in March I’d consider at least top ten programs if not higher. I’m from a middle of the road residency but i would say I was a solid applicant (had to be given where I’m coming from) Where I matched is probably considered top tier by most people. Ultimately, once I knew it was my number one I had everyone I knew with a connection contact their contacts at the program. I would also agree with another poster that if I was to do residency ranklist again I would choose a program with fellowships all other things being equal. Really Would’ve been nice to have a fallback.
Thanks for the insight! Very helpful

Heard from Stanford a couple of days back.
I think it depends on the program. I got two interview invites few days- a week after someone else got hers/his.

But about the rejection emails, I am starting to think rejection > no word. Rejection means at least they looked at your app closely..
It was an invite. I guess many programs are giving rolling invites as they screen through the applications. I also got some invites many days after someone else posted about their invite here .

Members don't see this ad :)

Rejection at least lets you move on from uncertainty

Reactions: 2 users
Is it possible, that similar to residency, applicants are taking more interviews since we don’t have to take time off from residency. As a result the top candidates are getting the bulk of the interviews.

Reactions: 1 users
Random question, has anyone heard back from the SCA conference. I submitted something to present and i feel like they were supposed to make decisions by january

Random question, has anyone heard back from the SCA conference. I submitted something to present and i feel like they were supposed to make decisions by january
I have not and I heard a co resident say today they have not either yet

Up until yesterday it was a quiet 2 week period for IV invites.
Seems like after the new year they hit the apps pretty strong and then it died down.

Judging by reviews from the past 2-3 years it seems invites die down quite a bit by late February.

Any news from Emory for you folks?

Up until yesterday it was a quiet 2 week period for IV invites.
Seems like after the new year they hit the apps pretty strong and then it died down.

Judging by reviews from the past 2-3 years it seems invites die down quite a bit by late February.

Any news from Emory for you folks?
I haven't gotten any interviews since Jan 27th

I got the Emory invite in late Dec

I was curious if anyone had heard from UTSW or Vanderbilt?

BIDMC today

Has anyone heard from Sinai, Cornell, or NYU recently? I’m getting other interviews but nothing from nyc 😥

BIDMC today

Has anyone heard from Sinai, Cornell, or NYU recently? I’m getting other interviews but nothing from nyc 😥
Rejected from cornell this week. Nyu and sinai invites a long time ago I think there's still a few open slots though

Is it possible, that similar to residency, applicants are taking more interviews since we don’t have to take time off from residency. As a result the top candidates are getting the bulk of the interviews.
Yea…since everything is on Zoom you can easily apply cross country, as a result programs getting many more applications to sift through.

BIDMC today

In the same boat, ghosted by NYC would appreciate a rejection at least

Anyone know if programs are going to request new ite scores when they come out

Most invites are rolling, but I imagine most programs wait for at least a majority of applications to come in before making cuts. Most applications are in by Christmas though. If you haven't received invites like others, but did not get rejected, you are probably on a wait list. A personal phone call from a faculty with connection and a good reason why you actually want to be there can make a difference. There is always last second cancellation by applicants who got match exception, and more invites to fill those spots. Good luck.

I know for a fact that my residency and fellowship institution (a large and very well respected program in the northeast) has not sent out a single invite yet, as they apparently got a late start reviewing applications. So, if you get a late invite, don’t necessarily assume that it’s because you aren’t a top tier candidate for a given program.

Duke sent me an invite a couple days ago if people are worrying about only 1 wave. I think they sent out their first invites in December

I know for a fact that my residency and fellowship institution (a large and very well respected program in the northeast) has not sent out a single invite yet, as they apparently got a late start reviewing applications. So, if you get a late invite, don’t necessarily assume that it’s because you aren’t a top tier candidate for a given program.
BWH? lol

CCF still second to none 😛😛

Finished fellowship there last year, tough year (altho not as workhorse as it used to be) but def worth it.

Surgeons value my opinion immensely and my partners mention that my training (echo and clinical) has paid off

Reactions: 2 users