Cardiothoracic Anesthesia Fellowship 2023

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sweetdreamer

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I couldn't find a tread for ACTA fellowship for this cycle.

Let's keep each other a company! And good luck everyone who is applying !

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Anyone hear anything yet?
This is the quiet time around the holidays where your applications are literally sitting on the PD and secretary desks of your programs you applied to. You might hear some noise before xmas, but a lot of the action is after the New Years. Good luck to the applicants this cycle.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sinai, still havent sent in my supplemental info yet though.

Anyone applying but having second thoughts? Dm if u wanna discuss lol

Members don't see this ad :)
How many interviews does everyone plan to go on? There doesn't seem to be data like eras on the percentage matched for number of ranks

I am a current cardiac anesthesia fellow. This year has been an incredible year so far. If you enjoy cardiac, and are on fence about it, I highly recommend that you pursue the fellowship. Feel free to shoot me a PM. I am happy to answer any questions about the process.

Probably didn't get an invite from NYU, only got a message asking for med school transcript and MSPE, haha

Probably didn't get an invite from NYU, only got a message asking for med school transcript and MSPE, haha
I'm waiting for my registrar to reopen to get my MSPE, I took the message as a sign they really want to invite me once I'm complete ;)

Last edited:
Maybe avoid the Covid hotspots so you can get a more cardiac focused experience. Of course it’s hard to predict out to July.

Maybe avoid the Covid hotspots so you can get a more cardiac focused experience. Of course it’s hard to predict out to July.
This is an excellent point to consider. Yes, you can’t predict how it will look 2 years from now, but if another wave comes during your fellowship, you dont want to be stuck doing nothing or covering ICU for months.

You are sacrificing a year of income to learn cardiac anesthesia. Ask programs and fellows how they handled covid. Did the cardiac volume significantly decrease? Were fellows forced to cover icu? Covid icu? Fellow role in icu? Resident role in icu? The worst would be…. were they forced to cover icu on nights and weekends in resident roles?

What's considered a "good/competitive" ITE score/percentile?

What's considered a "good/competitive" ITE score/percentile?
From my experience and from talking to a bunch of people throughout the process, high score doesn't necessarily help you, but low score will get you screened out at many programs unless you come from top residency program.

I would be concerned if your ITE is below 50th percentile. Cardiac match is pretty competitive, and being bottom half certainly won't help.

From my experience and from talking to a bunch of people throughout the process, high score doesn't necessarily help you, but low score will get you screened out at many programs unless you come from top residency program.

I would be concerned if your ITE is below 50th percentile. Cardiac match is pretty competitive, and being bottom half certainly won't help.
Welp. Guess I'll be screened from a ton of programs then with a score in the 30th percentile. Fingers crossed, but might have to pursue PP w/o fellowship.

Welp. Guess I'll be screened from a ton of programs then with a score in the 30th percentile. Fingers crossed, but might have to pursue PP w/o fellowship.
Match rate was 88% last year so hopefully you'll be good

Reactions: 1 user

Your other option would be to apply to CC this year or pick up one of the unfilled CC spots if you don't match cardiac. Would but you in a stronger position reapplying next year. I absolutely loved my cardiac fellowship and got absolutely crushed as a CC fellow, but I bet you can guess which one I'd pick if forced to choose between doing one of the other.

My advice: go to the fellowship where you are going to get the most robust clinical experience, period. Do not overcomplicate it. That means in the OR, doing sick cases, mostly solo (not supervising). Become as comfortable managing the sickest patients that roll into the operating room as you can possibly be by the end, because that is what will be expected of you wherever you practice.

As much as it pains me to say this, I think echo education is largely overrated. Tommy Burch's website is so thorough, it levels the playing field almost completely. Don't be seduced by things like interventional echo, etc: largely these things do not exist in the real world, and they certainly aren't worth doing less VADS/transplants/etc for. In my opinion, the future of cardiac anesthesiology is in heart failure, ECMO, and transplant, not calculating the precise angle to cross the IAS for a MitraClip.

Please know I followed none of this advice as an applicant, but hindsight and all of that.

Good luck.
This man speaks the truth

Did anyone hear from Kentucky programs?

How many places have you guys applied to and how many places ideally do you want to interview at?