Cardiothoracic Anesthesiology Fellowship 2017-2018

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pumpblood

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I figured we can start a thread for those of us applying for Cardiac Anesthesiology fellowship during this academic year to discuss programs, interview process, etc. Match: June 2018; Fellowship start: July 2019.

Any one get any interviews so far?

Members don't see this ad.

I figured we can start a thread for those of us applying for Cardiac Anesthesiology fellowship during this academic year to discuss programs, interview process, etc. Match: June 2018; Fellowship start: July 2019.

Any one get any interviews so far?

Fellow applicant, good luck! Would love to hear everyone's input on the different programs out there. I've gotten my home invite only so far.

There are 3 residents applying from my program; they've received invites from Mount Sinai, USC, and U Nebraska thus far.

Members don't see this ad :)
only heard back from 2 places so far. not sure it's still early to be getting emails

Got my SF app in finally, and some programs are starting to respond. Is everyone else writing program specific personal statements, when the the program requests one?

Jeez so many rules to this game.

Got interviews from NYU and Montefiore. Rej from Southwestern. Anyone heard back from CCF or cedars sinai? Other Cali programs?

Heard from CCF, northwestern, university of Michigan.. Other people heard from U Penn today but not me personally!

Duke UCSD and UCLA have also sent out invites

I know that mt Sinai, THI, UCSF, cedars Sinai, duke, ccf, usc, U mich, emory, and ucla have sent out invites

Anyone know when do the bulk of invites come in? I read from previous threads most from about now til early feb?

I guess I'm wondering when should we reach out and contact programs we are interested in if we haven't heard from them.

Members don't see this ad :)
heard from UW in Seattle yesterday, Beth Israel and UC Denver today. And @Iverbmb, I got a bunch of invites within 2 weeks of my application being in (early december), then did not hear much back over the holidays, and it has started to pick back up this past week or so. I read the same thing time-wise from old forums

heard from UW in Seattle yesterday, Beth Israel and UC Denver today. And @Iverbmb, I got a bunch of invites within 2 weeks of my application being in (early december), then did not hear much back over the holidays, and it has started to pick back up this past week or so. I read the same thing time-wise from old forums

After I posted got some more. Hard to be patient when my interview time is limited- I’m at a big program where getting lots of interview time is difficult. I’ve almost used up all my allowable interview days but still waiting to hear back from some program I’m really interested in.

Reactions: 1 user
Couple questions about the process:
1.) Do these programs typically offer rolling invites? ie. If I haven't submitted my application yet, am I too late for admission to the above mentioned programs that have sent out invites?
2.) When do interviews typically occur? Do programs interview over one weekend or is there some flexibility?
Thanks

I think you should probably submit ASAP. From my experience it is very limited interview dates with not much flexibility. Duke 2 choices, UCSD 2 choices (only weekend choice i got), UCLA 4 choices, Stanford 4, THI is the most flexible and you can choose a weekday and they try and coordinate it.

Anyone know when do the bulk of invites come in? I read from previous threads most from about now til early feb?

I guess I'm wondering when should we reach out and contact programs we are interested in if we haven't heard from them.

From my somewhat outdated experience (still SF match era) interviews come in bursts with some places offering what seem to be limited dates but it merely representing their “first round” of interviews. I know ppl who interviewed at a program during months after I did where dates weren’t even offered. That being said your number one concern is your application being in. I think by end of February I had received the majority of my invitations with one or two programs maybe being later. I received 1-3 invites before January and then received the majority during this months span.

My list kind of includes USC, Cedars Sinai, Univ of Iowa, univ of Nebraska, UPMC, Montefiore and Tufts.

I kinda of think they are all kind of mid tier programs. :/ hopin CCF looks at my application and likes it . Has anyone got an IV from them yet.

Couple questions about the process:
1.) Do these programs typically offer rolling invites? ie. If I haven't submitted my application yet, am I too late for admission to the above mentioned programs that have sent out invites?
2.) When do interviews typically occur? Do programs interview over one weekend or is there some flexibility?
Thanks

1) Most offer on rolling basis, don’t delay in getting that application in. You aren’t too late yet as interview season is just starting, but it seems like a very heavy application year from what we’ve seen here so far.
2) We just started interviews and most programs wrap up in April and sometimes early May. Smaller programs may condense interviews over a weekend or a couple of dates for convenience, but others may have several or even just have you come in when it suits you. Overall, much more flexible than residency.

I heard from some of my LoR writers, that MGH called them...hoping for the best.

Lots of silence this week and last - hopefully momentum picks up from the last 2 programs on my list :whistle: I am excited to start interviewing tho next week

I have heard from several programs so far (7 total) but still have yet to hear from my top 3 choices. Is it time to reach out or should I keep waiting?

I have heard from several programs so far (7 total) but still have yet to hear from my top 3 choices. Is it time to reach out or should I keep waiting?

Way too early, we’ve only just started interviewing and going through the stack of applications here. Give it another month.

Anyone have any thoughts on the mayo program?

I really liked that program. Definitely think it's worth seeing.

I have interviews at 5 programs so far: Emory, U of MD, Tufts, Oschner, and MUSC - rejection from U of Chicago - and prelim Skype interview from UMDNJ

Anyone know if there's still possibility to hear back from places like Emory and Duke? It seems like they've already sent out interview invites a while back.

Anyone hear through the grapevine places that filled their spots already from internal candidates? I've heard musings that WashU already filled their four spots from their critical care pool, anyone else hear of others.

Anyone hear through the grapevine places that filled their spots already from internal candidates? I've heard musings that WashU already filled their four spots from their critical care pool, anyone else hear of others.

I would venture to guess that somewhere between 25-50% of spots at the most competitive programs are at least informally filled in the back of thr fellowship director’s minds.

Pure conjecture.

I have no doubt most programs fill to some degree internally, I agree with Nivens that 25-50% can be filled internally especially for smaller programs just given numbers.

If a program has "already filled" there isn't much sense for them to interview outside candidates, programs aren't out there to screw applicants out of money. That being said, sometimes you get really great outside candidates and internals get recruited away (I was someone who always thought I'd stay, then I was really wow-ed by other programs) so it is good to have some buffer come rank list time.

I have no doubt most programs fill to some degree internally, I agree with Nivens that 25-50% can be filled internally especially for smaller programs just given numbers.

If a program has "already filled" there isn't much sense for them to interview outside candidates, programs aren't out there to screw applicants out of money. That being said, sometimes you get really great outside candidates and internals get recruited away (I was someone who always thought I'd stay, then I was really wow-ed by other programs) so it is good to have some buffer come rank list time.

I heard WashU didn't send out invitations any this year, or maybe I'm just a bad candidate; either way if there were programs that did completely fill, it would be nice to know instead of waiting to hear back from them.

BTW, does anyone know anything about University of Colorado's Program?

Not surprised since that's one of the more "integrated" CCM and cardiac programs.

Any idea on how many interviews to take? Some of our past successful applicants only went on 3-5 but they usually had very strong ideas on where they wanted to be. I'm not as geographically tied but have 7 scheduled so far with the thought that going on 10 would give some sense of security in matching (totally arbitrary). Probably should also note I'm applying combined CCM+ACTA with the ACTA year ideally in 2020-2021.

I went on 8 interviews. You probably don't need to do that many

Mind me asking what you guys have on your CV to make you stand out? Publication ?

Mind me asking what you guys have on your CV to make you stand out? Publication ?

Nothing extraordinary. I got a few non-first author publications. A regional conference presentation, a few in house presentations. Okay board score, okay ITE. Pretty sure I got some decent letters though. Gotten a few invites. USC, Denver, Florida to name a few.

Reactions: 1 users
I heard WashU didn't send out invitations any this year, or maybe I'm just a bad candidate; either way if there were programs that did completely fill, it would be nice to know instead of waiting to hear back from them.

BTW, does anyone know anything about University of Colorado's Program?

To make things official, a buddy of mine got an email from WashU stating what I expected. The email also insinuated that the only way this will likely continue onto next year as well.

Got MGH recently but still waiting on BWH, have people heard from BWH already?

At this point, can we expect any more interview invites? Or is this about it?