Cardiothoracic Anesthesiology Fellowship 2017-2018

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
At this point, can we expect any more interview invites? Or is this about it?

We are still sending some out, especially as people cancel their later appointments. I seem to remember getting some invites through the end of March.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I was wondering about U. Miami. Any info on how the program is? Any past fellows out there? How does it compare to places with larger volume in terms on academia?

At this point, can we expect any more interview invites? Or is this about it?

Yea I’m wondering if it’s time to send an email a program I’m still interested in checking out but hadn’t heard anything yet... so far it sounds like no one has heard from BWH yet? They’re the only program I haven’t heard a peep from and I thought I would’ve heard either way by now.

I heard from BWH in Feb I think...apparently they try to interview one person a day.

how has everyone's interview experiences been so far?

During application, do we upload documents to sfmatch site? or only send letters and scores, etc to CAS? I just want an idea on which documents go where. letter of recommendations, deans letter, USMLE scores, ITEs , etc. Thanks

During application, do we upload documents to sfmatch site? or only send letters and scores, etc to CAS? I just want an idea on which documents go where. letter of recommendations, deans letter, USMLE scores, ITEs , etc. Thanks
SF match has a list of documents they want which you send to them, and then each program wants something different which you just send separately, PDFs work best. Just make sure to get your med school stuff early, transcripts, deans letter, etc. And find all your ite repoets

SF match has a list of documents they want which you send to them, and then each program wants something different which you just send separately, PDFs work best. Just make sure to get your med school stuff early, transcripts, deans letter, etc. And find all your ite repoets

Thanks. By sfmatch you do mean Central Application Service (CAS)? their site says to mail them the list of programs, online form and payment and 3 LORs. Is that the list you were mentioning? and all other documents are sent directly to the program?

Thanks. By sfmatch you do mean Central Application Service (CAS)? their site says to mail them the list of programs, online form and payment and 3 LORs. Is that the list you were mentioning? and all other documents are sent directly to the program?

Their website is helpful, look over it: sfmatch.org

When I went through it two years ago they wanted paper copies of everything sent to San Fran, nothing was uploaded online. That includes LORs in sealed envelopes. I don’t know if this is still the case.

Is that what you are asking?

Got an interview from Oregon today after I think I'm done with the interview season.... Hesitating about going or not. Anyone know anything about their program? Appreciate it!

Members don't see this ad :)
Today was my last interview scheduled... so far.
Got 12 invites. Went to 9. Cancelled 3.
I think this is probably the end of the season for me. Extremely unlikely that any more places are going to call me now.

Does anyone know what time the match results will be posted tomorrow?

Good luck to everyone. I hope everyone got what they wanted. Thanks everyone for sharing your posts over the past few months! It's been a long journey and I'm glad it's finally all set and done.

What was the match rate this year?

Usually it takes SF Match a few months to release statistics online publicly. The last two years were 77 and 78% Match rate... but this doesn’t capture the number who register and then drop out without submitting a rank list (at least some probably don’t submit due to lack of interviews). If they included that number it’s closer to 60-65%.

This year was very competitive. Almost a quarter of our rank list didn’t match; and I don’t know of any unfilled programs. Last year only 5 out of 207 were left. The year before 0.

Usually it takes SF Match a few months to release statistics online publicly. The last two years were 77 and 78% Match rate... but this doesn’t capture the number who register and then drop out without submitting a rank list (at least some probably don’t submit due to lack of interviews). If they included that number it’s closer to 60-65%.

This year was very competitive. Almost a quarter of our rank list didn’t match; and I don’t know of any unfilled programs. Last year only 5 out of 207 were left. The year before 0.

What was your applicant to interviewee ratio?

What was your applicant to interviewee ratio?

I don’t have exact statistics but we interviewed probably 50% of the applicants and ranked 75% of those if I had to estimate. I don’t know how many interviews that we sent out were rejected, though.

I'm willing to bet the match rate is lower this year. Also not unlikely that those that don't match will end up gobbling up all the good private practice jobs that do hearts without fellowships while the fellowship group miss out on a year of income.

I'm willing to bet the match rate is lower this year. Also not unlikely that those that don't match will end up gobbling up all the good private practice jobs that do hearts without fellowships while the fellowship group miss out on a year of income.
That's a shrinking market. Smoke em if you got em, I guess.

I don't think there are a lot of ACTA fellowship grads who wish they hadn't done the fellowship. It's a good place to be from.

Reactions: 5 users
Most PP jobs that are “good” will require a fellowship. But I suppose that depends on your definition. I wanted to keep doing LVADS , ECMO, and advanced structural. I didn’t want to do basic cabg and valves in BFE. This is 2018 and you aren’t doing anything heavy without consultant level TEE

Reactions: 5 users
My cardiac fellowship has paid for itself and then some. It’s a good investment for now. Who knows what the future will hold for anyone in medicine, if you like doing hearts and want to do them regularly in practice, I would advise the fellowship despite the 300k hit.

Reactions: 6 users
Nice !!
3 out of 4 matched in our program too . But the one who didnt wanted to be in a very specific area and didnt rank more than 2 programs. THanks for the support y'all

Do you guys think the fact that a fellowship is required for Advanced TEE certification has pushed up the fellowship's popularity? Remember, not long ago you could get advanced certification just by taking the test and showing you did a handful of echos.

Do you guys think the fact that a fellowship is required for Advanced TEE certification has pushed up the fellowship's popularity? Remember, not long ago you could get advanced certification just by taking the test and showing you did a handful of echos.
I'd hardly call the same three hundred that fellows are required to obtain "a handful." Yes, I think making fellowship the sole pathway to echo certification has increased the popularity of the fellowship.

Sent from my SM-G930V using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
Data is out on sfmatch- 76% overall match rate. Not too far off from previous years, more applicants and more spots.

To make things official, a buddy of mine got an email from WashU stating what I expected. The email also insinuated that the only way this will likely continue onto next year as well.

To those of you who went through this process, do you have any advice on how to apply for a candidate who does not have a cardiac fellowship at their residency program? I imagine the WashU situation is not unique. Someone applying to cardiac who does not have a cardiac fellowship at their residency program and is below avg on paper (at least based on ITE) is fighting quite an uphill battle.

Not having a cardiac fellowship at your residency program is not a bad thing. Some of the better fellows I’ve worked with came from programs that did hearts but not enough to run a fellowship. As a result of no fellows they were treated like one and most came out way more facile at echo and cardiac cases than I was coming from a residency with a major heart program and close to 10 fellows.

You still need to do cardiac cases to graduate residency so I’m assuming youre involved in those. That is more than enough to work with. The only downside of not having a fellowship at your own institution is you lack a possible “safety”.