CCOM Discussion thread 2008-2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I don't think complimenting a fellow pre-med is creepy. And the notion that pre-meds are all unkempt, glassses-pushing, braces-wearing nerds is hardly true at all. I know for a fact there are lots of beautiful guys and girls lurking in this forum and on interviews, I have found the room of interviewees to be above average looking. Well, maybe I should have just said the avatar is my neighbor :p

Well I don't think complimenting a fellow pre-med is creepy. And the notion that pre-meds are all unkempt, glassses-pushing, braces-wearing nerds is hardly true at all. I know for a fact there are lots of beautiful guys and girls lurking in this forum and on interviews, I have found the room of interviewees to be above average looking. Well, maybe I should have just said the avatar is my neighbor :p

Haha your neighbor huh? Now THAT might be a bit creepy ;)

I'd agree that pre-meds are stereotyped to be nerds and its not an accurate one, because there are indeed some gorgeous ones. That being said, I would also say that pre-meds generally may not put as much effort into appearance as others do on a regular basis. After all, are you going to wear heels and a skirt when you go volunteer in the ER or you do some research in the lab? Or when you are going to spend 8 hours in the library rewriting the kreb's cycle until you memorize it? I think its just the nature of our interests, but as seen in interviews when the circumstances are right, we clean up pretty well. :D

Members don't see this ad :)

I am not a pre-med, at least I wasn't in college. And seeing how CCOM is my first choice as it is yours, you might have this creep in your class for four years.

you're just digging yourself in even deeper

Hahaha!!! Just what I was thinking! Being creepy in a forum is fine and almost expected, but what if I'm paired with a creep in the OMM lab? Oh boy... and DarkHorizons, I'm just playing with you. I don't think you're a creep, although you don't seem to take offense to it anyway being you are self-proclaimed.

So I'm sending in letters this week- is it OK if I send in all 4 of my rec letters instead of just the 2? Is that frowned upon? Also I haven't seen the electronic delivery option from Interfolio, so I'm assuming you have to have them sent manually:(. Correct me if I'm wrong....

I would definitely send in all 4 letters! And yeah, interfolio will send it out via snail mail.

If you interview here bring a jacket just in case. it rained on us today and none of us were really prepared.

So I'm sending in letters this week- is it OK if I send in all 4 of my rec letters instead of just the 2? Is that frowned upon? Also I haven't seen the electronic delivery option from Interfolio, so I'm assuming you have to have them sent manually:(. Correct me if I'm wrong....

jwied... just wanted to give you credit for your link to the best facebook group ever! I really liked the ferrous wheel so I jacked the idea and drew my own ferrous wheel, which is proudly on display as my avatar :thumbup:

Hello all. Quick question...

So I have been marked complete since 9/4/08 and have yet to get an interview invite! My stats are reasonably good for a D.O. school (30 MCAT [11 P, 9 V, 10 B], 3.38 sGPA, 3.57 cGPA), so I'm wondering what's up :confused:

Should I call their office and see if they're still reviewing my application?

Members don't see this ad :)
How many of you received the "Why consider CCOM?" email and interview invites? How many of you didn't?

Last edited:
How many of you received the "Why consider CCOM?" email and interview invites? How many of you didn't?

I received the "why consider CCOM" email about two and half months ago and since then I have not heard a word from CCOM. I been complete for about for two months.

So I have been marked complete since 9/4/08 and have yet to get an interview invite! My stats are reasonably good for a D.O. school (30 MCAT [11 P, 9 V, 10 B], 3.38 sGPA, 3.57 cGPA), so I'm wondering what's up :confused:

It wouldn't hurt to call for a status check. Those are solid stats.

I received it awhile back. I was complete just about a week ago.

Definitely give them a call. Your stats look similar to mine so I dunno why you wouldn't have heard back by now....

AMEHigh- I received that too. I think everyone who applies receives it...

jwied... just wanted to give you credit for your link to the best facebook group ever! I really liked the ferrous wheel so I jacked the idea and drew my own ferrous wheel, which is proudly on display as my avatar :thumbup:

haha.. thanks. I about died laughing the first time I came across those.

I called yesterday to check my status (secondary complete 10-2) and the admissions office seemed less than thrilled that I called. I was told to check online.

I decided to accept my acceptance from Midwestern CCOM today. Is there an existing facebook group for CCOM class of 2013 yet?

I havn't seen a note of anyone creating one. So you should do it! I posted the link to the class thread at the top of this page...

Congratulations!!!

Congrats. Did you have other schools to choose from? What put you over the top for CCOM?

I got acceptances from LECOM and Kirksville in addition to CCOM. I'm still flying out to Mesa to interview at A.T. Still on Monday just because I have everything planned and booked already. I figure it doesn't hurt to check out one more school. I got interview invitations to all three Touro schools too but I think I'm just going to save my money for tuition at this point.

I considered tuition, the facilities (both academic and personal; LECOM has a brand new wellness center that looks like it's going to be really nice), board pass rates, location (and surrounding area), clinical rotation sites, etc. I liked Midwestern's campus and that it's in Downers Grove. I live about 20 minutes north but I'll probably be moving there. I also liked the clinical rotation sites. LECOM is nice because it has cheap tuition (25,000) but I don't like that everything is housed in one building and I wasn't impressed with Erie, PA. The problem based learning (PBL) is really cool too which I'm sad that Midwestern doesn't offer. A.T. Still Kirksville offers it to some extent but is mostly lecture/discussion. Kirksville's tuition is comparable to CCOM's and you only have to stay for 2 years. They have a lot of sites in a lot of different states for clinical rotations and the program seems pretty solid but I didn't like the campus as much as Midwesterns. Also, the fact that you have to drive to St. Louis or Kansas City (about 3 hours each) to get to a major airport seems like it'll be troublesome.

I have also created a facebook group for the class of 2013. Search under "CCOM Class of 2013"

hey all,
im an MS1 at CCOM, so i remember being in your shoes quite vividly at this stage. Any questions, feel free to ask and let me know when you interview so that i can stop in to say hi:)

uh oh, so I just got back from an interview at A.T. Still SOMA and I have to say I was quite impressed...

...not that the 75 degree weather had anything to do with it. :laugh:

uh oh, so I just got back from an interview at A.T. Still SOMA and I have to say I was quite impressed...

...not that the 75 degree weather had anything to do with it. :laugh:

I've been accepted at CCOM and SOMA, and both are very appealing to me, but for very different reasons, haha!

CCOM has been around forever, and is very well established, which would be great for clinicals. And being in Chicago, you'd see everything. It is a pretty safe choice - a classic medical education, a school with a great history, solid rotations, a great city, alumni everywhere.... It is very hard to turn this school down.

On the other hand, SOMA is so new that they can change everything, and they are headed in a direction that I think a lot of schools will follow. I really like the presentation model that they are using, they have a ton of patient simulators to work with, and they give you a lot of time to study in small groups/by yourself, which I would like. Also, I'm not interesed in research and want to work in a community health center.

Both schools were very confident in their programs, both were very warm and inviting, and both made this decision very hard!!

Any input?

I've been accepted at CCOM and SOMA, and both are very appealing to me, but for very different reasons, haha!

CCOM has been around forever, and is very well established, which would be great for clinicals. And being in Chicago, you'd see everything. It is a pretty safe choice - a classic medical education, a school with a great history, solid rotations, a great city, alumni everywhere.... It is very hard to turn this school down.

On the other hand, SOMA is so new that they can change everything, and they are headed in a direction that I think a lot of schools will follow. I really like the presentation model that they are using, they have a ton of patient simulators to work with, and they give you a lot of time to study in small groups/by yourself, which I would like. Also, I'm not interesed in research and want to work in a community health center.

Both schools were very confident in their programs, both were very warm and inviting, and both made this decision very hard!!

Any input?

That is exactly how I feel. I really like that ATSU-SOMA uses case based learning (cross between PBL and lecture/discussion). I wanted to do something different but I wasn't sure if doing only PBL (LECOM) was right for me. I was also impressed at how technologically advanced they were and how much effort they put into medical education. Their work with community health centers appealed to me too because that is how I wanted to eventually make an impact. The fact that they integrate themselves in the community and make change from within is something I can really learn from beyond the standard medical education.

But again, CCOM is the safer choice with a known reputation (all the DOs I work with now are Midwestern grads) and if I went to ATSU-SOMA I would only be their third class. This seems like a high risk/high reward situation. I was certain I was going to CCOM until I visited ATSU-SOMA... Makes me wonder if I should go to my other interviews after all. I know this is a little off topic but I have three interviews left at the three Touro schools. After being pleasantly surprised by ATSU-SOMA I'm wondering if these other newer schools might have something to them as well. Anyone have any input?

That is exactly how I feel. I really like that ATSU-SOMA uses case based learning (cross between PBL and lecture/discussion). I wanted to do something different but I wasn't sure if doing only PBL (LECOM) was right for me. I was also impressed at how technologically advanced they were and how much effort they put into medical education. Their work with community health centers appealed to me too because that is how I wanted to eventually make an impact. The fact that they integrate themselves in the community and make change from within is something I can really learn from beyond the standard medical education.

But again, CCOM is the safer choice with a known reputation (all the DOs I work with now are Midwestern grads) and if I went to ATSU-SOMA I would only be their third class. This seems like a high risk/high reward situation. I was certain I was going to CCOM until I visited ATSU-SOMA... Makes me wonder if I should go to my other interviews after all. I know this is a little off topic but I have three interviews left at the three Touro schools. After being pleasantly surprised by ATSU-SOMA I'm wondering if these other newer schools might have something to them as well. Anyone have any input?

Haha, I had interviews at Touro CA and Touro NYC, but am not going to them after being accepted at SOMA and CCOM. From reading about them, they seemed pretty similar to CCOM without the established bit. I figured that I would save a little money and make my decision a little easier by not going to the Touro schools. I also toured Touro NV and the whole "warehouse turned medical school" wasn't too appealing to me. Touro NV did have more access to cadavers than did CCOM or SOMA, but that isn't important to me.

Do you think in writing my essays I should refer to the school as the Chicago College of Osteopathic Medicine (CCOM) or Midwestern University?

I think I used Midwestern Chicago College of Medicine the first time I stated it and then Midwestern after that. Probably whatever you wanna do is fine. Just get that thing turned in quick!:thumbup:

Anyone else going to be interviewing on 12/12?

Also, I noticed in interview feedback that a lot of people fly into midway airport. Is there any benefit flying into one airport over the other? (midway or o'hare)?

Last edited:
Hi,
This is one of the schools I wanted to attend an interview with. It has been 6+ weeks since my application was completed and no news from them. My MCAT score is 27Q, my UG and grad GPAs are pretty high. I am starting to wonder if my MCAT score is too low for them. Those of you who got interviews/were accepted, what were your scores like?
Thanks!

Hi,
This is one of the schools I wanted to attend an interview with. It has been 6+ weeks since my application was completed and no news from them. My MCAT score is 27Q, my UG and grad GPAs are pretty high. I am starting to wonder if my MCAT score is too low for them. Those of you who got interviews/were accepted, what were your scores like?
Thanks!

That MCAT is right about avg for the students they accept, so I dont think its low. I got an interview with a 26 and good GPA, so stats-wise would not be holding you back. Maybe ECs or maybe even the essay might, but then again maybe they just have not gotten to your application. I would call them ask them about your status.

Anyone else going to be interviewing on 12/12?

Also, I noticed in interview feedback that a lot of people fly into midway airport. Is there any benefit flying into one airport over the other? (midway or o'hare)?

You can find cheaper flights into Midway than O'Hare because it's the less popular airport for Chicago.

Also, O'Hare is a mess. Midway can be a mess, too, but O'Hare is the place of airport delay nightmares. Every time I've had to catch a connection out of O'Hare I have missed it. Not fun.

You can find cheaper flights into Midway than O'Hare because it's the less popular airport for Chicago.

Also, O'Hare is a mess. Midway can be a mess, too, but O'Hare is the place of airport delay nightmares. Every time I've had to catch a connection out of O'Hare I have missed it. Not fun.

southwest is based out of midway...so that usually helps in getting a cheaper rate. If you have a preference for a certain carrier, i would check if it goes to midway

That MCAT is right about avg for the students they accept, so I dont think its low. I got an interview with a 26 and good GPA, so stats-wise would not be holding you back. Maybe ECs or maybe even the essay might, but then again maybe they just have not gotten to your application. I would call them ask them about your status.
Thanks, I did call them but they would not give any status over phone. Told me to keep checking the web site:(

Hey! so for this question about why we picked CCOM... Uh... why?

I mean yeah its in chicago, but why is it so good? What makes it different? Why is it your top choice?

I got nothing, because I got their brochures and heard it was good and decided to take a chance. But otherwise all i know is what is in their email. Any help?

DaBlackRose, I answered the "Why CCOM" question with references to the school's reputation, rotations, and early clinical exposure. First, the school has been around since 1900 so it is a very well respected and well known school around the nation. CCOM has ties with most of the hospitals in Chicago for your clinical rotations, so you can go just about anywhere you want, which is really really good. Considering how big Chicago is, during your rotations you have a greater chance to see the not so common things that you would miss elsewhere. Also, Chicago is a huge medical hub in the U.S. and hospitals and clinics are always wanting to educate future doctors, so CCOM enables (and I believe also requires) students to volunteer and shadow doctors very early in medical school.

I have a question about CCOM as well. In the AACOM guide, it says CCOM emphasizes case discussions, clinical correlates, and problem-based learning. After having my interview there a few weeks ago, I got the vibe that you are in lecture or anatomy lab for the most part, and did not hear anythig about PBL or case discusions. Can anyone who is informed educate me about the use of PBL or case discussions at CCOM?

Hey! so for this question about why we picked CCOM... Uh... why?

I mean yeah its in chicago, but why is it so good? What makes it different? Why is it your top choice?

I got nothing, because I got their brochures and heard it was good and decided to take a chance. But otherwise all i know is what is in their email. Any help?

well, board pass rates are like 95% for the first time or something crazy like that and the matching tendencies are also pretty impressive...plus they have an effing baseball field on their campus AND you get a free stress ball when you interview that is shaped like a heart or brain. Pretty obvious choice for me...

I have a question about CCOM as well. In the AACOM guide, it says CCOM emphasizes case discussions, clinical correlates, and problem-based learning. After having my interview there a few weeks ago, I got the vibe that you are in lecture or anatomy lab for the most part, and did not hear anythig about PBL or case discusions. Can anyone who is informed educate me about the use of PBL or case discussions at CCOM?

They have, during their first year, small group sessions for biochem that utilize case/problem-based learning. It's only once per week, but I'm hoping that it is enough to sharpen whatever skills and problem solving abilities are aided by that type of learning. I *think* that some of their other courses will have case-based scenarios incorporated into some lectures, but from what I understand, it isn't anything structured.

Does anybody know anything about the 'interview waitlist'? I was placed on it recently.. CCOM is definitely my #1 choice so it was slightly disappointing... I guess it is better than a rejection. Does anyone know if people on this list received interviews in years past? Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.