CCOM Discussion thread 2008-2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey man I was completed per the email they send on 11/15/08 and I haven't heard a thing. I am an IL resident and I know I am a competitive applicant that has received either acceptances or interview invites to all other DO schools (PCOM,DMU,LECOM-B,KCUMB,NSU-COM) I have applied to. This is the only school that I have still been waiting on so I hope that helps you. I know some people that were completed around the same time I was just got interview invites this week so just hang tight it is going to be awhile bc of the holidays and the delays caused by that. If you have any more questions let me know.

Hey, I'm in the same boat. Complete since mid-Nov and havn't heard anything either. Let's hope to hear something soon.

Members don't see this ad.

So this is the advice I received from an MS while at the interview... he apprarently was waitlisted twice and was told by another MS to write a letter of intent to Michael Laken (Director of Admissions). The very next day *BAM* he gets a call saying he's been accepted. That same MS student told his friend that was applying the year after to do the same thing (gave him his letter..his friend just tweaked it) and *BAM* next day he also gets accepted. Basically, he said to write a letter but to wait till May, I think, to write it. Hopefully, you get in before that without having to write one. I'm not sure if I would wait till May if I was in your position but it's your call. I wouldn't write it right now but prob. write it in March (IMHO).

p.s.- really try to hit the points on why MWU is such a great school to go to (not that I don't think you wouldn't but just want to remind you to emphasize) and, if you can, try to go to the mini-med school they offer every semester. They take attendence and I'm almost postive that they utilize that attendence sheet in the admissions decision.

Good LUCK!:luck:

Thanks for the advice- I really appreciate it!! I'm way to impatient so I'm not sure if I could wait that long, but maybe another month or so. And this is my number one school, the out of state tuition is pretty steep but we all expected that, so it would be worth it!

How pricey are the dorms?

I'm pretty sure this has been asked before...but if someone could give me a breakdown of the prices or link me to a breakdown I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
So this is the advice I received from an MS while at the interview... he apprarently was waitlisted twice and was told by another MS to write a letter of intent to Michael Laken (Director of Admissions). The very next day *BAM* he gets a call saying he's been accepted. That same MS student told his friend that was applying the year after to do the same thing (gave him his letter..his friend just tweaked it) and *BAM* next day he also gets accepted. Basically, he said to write a letter but to wait till May, I think, to write it. Hopefully, you get in before that without having to write one. I'm not sure if I would wait till May if I was in your position but it's your call. I wouldn't write it right now but prob. write it in March (IMHO).

p.s.- really try to hit the points on why MWU is such a great school to go to (not that I don't think you wouldn't but just want to remind you to emphasize) and, if you can, try to go to the mini-med school they offer every semester. They take attendence and I'm almost postive that they utilize that attendence sheet in the admissions decision.

Good LUCK!:luck:

Wow.... wow. this is sort of a dumb q but i'm assuming people generally wait til after the interview to send an LOI..? i'd love to go to CCOM but i don't want to obnoxious, or i would send a letter *before* i even get the interview... sigh. any more advice on LOI timing, anyone?

I think it's varied. I got mine within a week of my MCAT score coming in which was Oct 18. i'd say the general consenus though is ~1 month.

G/L!:luck:

Hey man I was completed per the email they send on 11/15/08 and I haven't heard a thing. I am an IL resident and I know I am a competitive applicant that has received either acceptances or interview invites to all other DO schools (PCOM,DMU,LECOM-B,KCUMB,NSU-COM) I have applied to. This is the only school that I have still been waiting on so I hope that helps you. I know some people that were completed around the same time I was just got interview invites this week so just hang tight it is going to be awhile bc of the holidays and the delays caused by that. If you have any more questions let me know.

thanks guys... i don't feel quite so bad now... it's nervewracking dealing with more than one school that has different whens and hows of letting us know our status. i think i should have sent in my apps sooner... just had a rough summer/fall. i'll take my finger off the panic button until next week, then... if anyone else wants to post the delay between secondary and news that'd be great...

thanks guys... i don't feel quite so bad now... it's nervewracking dealing with more than one school that has different whens and hows of letting us know our status. i think i should have sent in my apps sooner... just had a rough summer/fall. i'll take my finger off the panic button until next week, then... if anyone else wants to post the delay between secondary and news that'd be great...

As I said earlier, it took about three months here :eek:. I was complete in mid-October and I just got the interview invite Sunday night. They really seem to be taking their time - I've gone to five interviews already, been accepted etc. and I figured the case was closed for me at this point. It seems as though they're very overloaded in that admissions dept.

As I said earlier, it took about three months here :eek:. I was complete in mid-October and I just got the interview invite Sunday night. They really seem to be taking their time - I've gone to five interviews already, been accepted etc. and I figured the case was closed for me at this point. It seems as though they're very overloaded in that admissions dept.

wiieerrdd i was complete early October and interviewed in December and is my only acceptance... i feel like ccom admissions is pretty random, my friend has higher gpa but lower mcat than me by like 2 points and already got a rejection letter from them pre-interview....

My secondary has been in for some time now and I just now sent in my letters. I was curious if anyone could tell me a little bit about the application process with CCOM and how full the class is already. Just PM me if you have any information that would help me out at all, thank you :)

To those accepted who plan to matriculate:

How far in advance do you plan on getting fingerprinted? I remember reading something about how you are supposed to do it in July, but I don't know where I saw it. The website to which you are directed in the "Welcome packet" seems to work as of now, but there are limited fingerprinting facilities available. For instance, there is nothing in CT this year and I will actually have to go to IL (my closest location of the available sites).

The drug test: is there a special place for this too or is it supposed to be done at your physician's office or something like that?

How quickly does CCOM assign requested housing? The housing application is available (01/26) so I submitted it, but there was nothing about the wait time for an answer. Is there some kind of deposit we have to pay to hold our assigned places?

Members don't see this ad :)
By the way, housing at CCOM seems expensive. Between $789 and $1075/month for singles. They give you 10 month contracts along with the entire cost of contracts and a 1st floor large single unit will cost you $10,743 for 10 months. Expensive if you ask me even though rent tends to be expensive where I'm from as well. I thought Midwest was cheaper.

Whoa weird the housing application link I found on their intranet website didn't work. You have to login to online.midwestern.edu and then go to student services.

Karen I havn't read anything about fingerprinting or drug tests but any further info you find out would be appreciated. Seeing as how I live in AZ its not exactly convenient for me to go to DG :) How did you find out they didn't have facilities in CT?

As far as the deposit goes I'm sure they will require it somewhere along the way but they didn't ask for it now so I'm happy.

I agree the pricing seems a bit steep but in the respect of housing I don't think you can consider Chicago to be the same as the midwest. Hahaha

Personally, when I interviewed I didn't get a chance to see much of the housing (I'm now wishing I had) but I only ranked the ones that gave me a bit of space. If I'm paying 800+ a month I'm damn well gonna have more living quarters than one room ;)

If anyone has any pictures of the dorms or even the new lecture halls that would be much appreciated!

After you log in to
https://online.midwestern.edu
there is a place for accepted applicants, then something like "welcome letter"

several pages of information for accepted students -- orientation, physical exam requirements, immunization requirements + titers, fingerprinting

Information on fingerprinting is there.

Just a little FYI for future students, my girlfriend and I headed to Downers Grove the past Saturday to look for an apartment. We looked at all the surrounding cities as well as in Downers Grove. Here is what we learned:

- 1 bedrooms about $900ish average
- 2 bedrooms about $1250ish average
- It doesn't matter what direction you go the apartments in Downers Grove and the surrounding cities as far as 20 minutes away are all the same price!
- We looked at about 10 apartments and it was astonishing to us....even the CRAPPY places were just as much if not more than the nice apartment complexes! So, mind as well live in a nice complex.
- The earlier the better, it's wise to start looking now as prices go up in the summer and fall. You can "lock-in" the rate now and not have to pay rent until you move in at most places.

I think we found the ideal location, about 5ish minutes from CCOM, 2 bedroom, 1 1/2 bathrooms and even 2 floors for $1250! Expensive yes, but that's just how it is in this area!

Hope that helps,

Nick

Just a little FYI for future students, my girlfriend and I headed to Downers Grove the past Saturday to look for an apartment. We looked at all the surrounding cities as well as in Downers Grove. Here is what we learned:

- It doesn't matter what direction you go the apartments in Downers Grove and the surrounding cities as far as 20 minutes away are all the same price!
- We looked at about 10 apartments and it was astonishing to us....even the CRAPPY places were just as much if not more than the nice apartment complexes! So, mind as well live in a nice complex.
- The earlier the better, it's wise to start looking now as prices go up in the summer and fall. You can "lock-in" the rate now and not have to pay rent until you move in at most places.

I think we found the ideal location, about 5ish minutes from CCOM, 2 bedroom, 1 1/2 bathrooms and even 2 floors for $1250! Expensive yes, but that's just how it is in this area!

Hope that helps,

Nick

I am from Chicago and that is pretty much on par anywhere you are in the city or the burbs maybe even more in some parts of the city. You have to remember Chicago is a huge city and is very similar to the pricing around NYC but slightly less. But yes it is very expensive.

Hope that helps,

Nick

I think i am looking at the same place!! forgot the name but i remeber two storys since most of the apt are only one

Hope that helps,

Nick

Where is this complex and what's the name of it? I'm bringing my GF as well, and this sounds like a pretty solid place to live.

Thanks for all of the information on housing! I was talking to one of my friends living in Chicago, and she said that even March may be too soon to look for apartments. Are people already offering leases to start in July/August? Maybe she was misinformed...

Also, does anyone know if CCOM offers scholarships. I don't recall seeing a reply to that post earlier.

Thanks a lot!

How on earth can you go there now and secure and rate and a unit 6 months in advance?

Also, does anyone know if CCOM offers scholarships. I don't recall seeing a reply to that post earlier.

Thanks a lot!

Something for IL residents. Very limited. Don't count on free money.

On campus housing for 1st year students will be assigned after April 6. Students will be required to sign contracts after that time.

I just withdrew my interview for the 9th of February in case someone wants it. I have decided to take an acceptance elsewhere. Best of luck to those who will be attending CCOM, it is a great school.

with all this bad weather.. does the campus ever close for bad weather or do the classes get delayed??

Does anyone know if we will have any need for lab coats at ccom? I know we will get the white coats and use them for 3rd and 4th years and certain things during MS1 &2, but I am unsure if we will need to get our own "lab" lab coats for the purpose of getting dirty, messed up with stains and dyes, etc. I am supposed to get a lab coat for my histology and parasitology labs this semester, so I was wondering if it is worth buying one now if I will need to get one anyway.

If the short white coats are all we never use, I might just try to get by without one.

Thanks!

Does anyone know if we will have any need for lab coats at ccom? I know we will get the white coats and use them for 3rd and 4th years and certain things during MS1 &2, but I am unsure if we will need to get our own "lab" lab coats for the purpose of getting dirty, messed up with stains and dyes, etc. I am supposed to get a lab coat for my histology and parasitology labs this semester, so I was wondering if it is worth buying one now if I will need to get one anyway.

If the short white coats are all we never use, I might just try to get by without one.

Thanks!

Please tell me we're not going to be using stains and dyes. I hate labs (in the college sense).

with all this bad weather.. does the campus ever close for bad weather or do the classes get delayed??

I assist with teaching at CCOM, and my experience has been that even when it is really bad out, classes continue as planned. Most of the students live nearby or on campus, and I think it is just expected as part of Chicago weather that it is going to snow and be crummy out, and you need to make it to class. With that said, this was an 8-10 am class that I was teaching at and the students students were filing in throughout that entire time, and no one was marked off for coming in late or missing class. I think it takes a lot for classes to be cancelled! Would have to be a TON of snow.

yeah, here in WI school was never cancelled at my undergrad. We believe in snow plows in the north. Don't count on school being cancelled.

I assist with teaching at CCOM, and my experience has been that even when it is really bad out, classes continue as planned. Most of the students live nearby or on campus, and I think it is just expected as part of Chicago weather that it is going to snow and be crummy out, and you need to make it to class. With that said, this was an 8-10 am class that I was teaching at and the students students were filing in throughout that entire time, and no one was marked off for coming in late or missing class. I think it takes a lot for classes to be cancelled! Would have to be a TON of snow.

YEP! My gf goes to CCP and has never had a day off for bad weather. I think a tornado would have to rip through the campus for classes to be cancelled.

On a side note regarding admissions the interview is 50% of your acceptance at MWU. So for all you that are going to interview make sure you communicate well because THEY WILL choose someone with lower than avg. scores with GREAT communication skills as opposed to someone with steller scores and e.c.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info about bad weather.. on a side note does anyone know if they record lectures or have a note taking service available?

Thanks for the info about bad weather.. on a side note does anyone know if they record lectures or have a note taking service available?

I'm not sure what you mean by note taking service. Although I do know that you buy all your notes at the beginning of the year and then take them to class to fill out any extra information the professor might be mentioning during class. I'm pretty sure they don't record lectures.

Hi I'm new to this thread. I have an interview at CCOM coming up soon and was wondering if anyone had any advice (feel free to PM me). I also didn't want to look through all the pages of this thread to see if anyone has any stats on how many people are interviewed/accepted at CCOM.

Thanks!!

I'm not sure what you mean by note taking service. Although I do know that you buy all your notes at the beginning of the year and then take them to class to fill out any extra information the professor might be mentioning during class. I'm pretty sure they don't record lectures.

Yup. Every class has notes that you buy beforehand. You'll learn that certain professors' notes are better than others--who you need to add stuff from class with etc (which isn't as often as you think, you usually just write on your notes in class to help remember, reiterate, or clarify information that is already there).

We were all a little peeved when we learned there's no recording of lectures. It doesn't even seem to be a lack of technology issue, although I'm sure if we tried recording lectures it would be an adventure. Rather, some professors prefer not to be recorded--basically after that, we got over the idea fast. All that would happen if they recorded lectures is that people would stop showing up to lecture as much as they do (and it's nice to have 75-80% of the class showing up to lectures), and you might be able to go over each lecture again maybe one more time--otherwise, honestly, you're busy enough trying to learn what the notes themselves say.

I'm in accord with the previous posts about weather--there's already been 2-3 days where every surrounding school district cancelled classes, but we went strong. It would have to be a blizzard and/or temperatures that are physically dangerous to cancel school. People generally prepare accordingly (if you live in Chicago and there's a 7:30a test the next morning with predictions of snow all night, they stay with a friend etc).

It is weird because one of the questions I asked in my interview is if they had podcasts on their lectures....the interview (also a prof.) told me that they do podcasts....however, everyone says no, which I believe haha (maybe he didn't know what a podcast was!) haha

YEP! My gf goes to CCP and has never had a day off for bad weather. I think a tornado would have to rip through the campus for classes to be cancelled.

On a side note regarding admissions the interview is 50% of your acceptance at MWU. So for all you that are going to interview make sure you communicate well because THEY WILL choose someone with lower than avg. scores with GREAT communication skills as opposed to someone with steller scores and e.c.

Speaking of which, do they give out a decent amount of interviews or are they pretty selective? And how far into the year do they invite applicants to an interview?

Does anyone know if there is going to be a second look for accepted students?

Thats exactly what i wanted to know. thank you!

Does anyone know if there is going to be a second look for accepted students?

I just found out I was accepted...I'd be interested in knowing this as well.

Hey future CCOM'ers - I was just wondering what the rough age bracket is for those of us supposedly starting this fall. I'm curious what the average age is...

:thumbup::)

We have the age question going in the facebook group and I think the majority of people are 22-23 but there are plenty who are 24-26 but I'm sure there are people who are outside of these ages.

What do you mean "a second look?"

sometimes schools have a date in the spring for students to come back and get a better look. i would like to meet students before hand and look for housing as well

sometimes schools have a date in the spring for students to come back and get a better look. i would like to meet students before hand and look for housing as well

Not that I'm aware of. I bet you could set this up privately if you spoke with admissions, however.

We have the age question going in the facebook group and I think the majority of people are 22-23 but there are plenty who are 24-26 but I'm sure there are people who are outside of these ages.

24 was the average for 2012. The range was something like 21-44.

Some teachers record, some don't. It is up to each professor.

Through 2 of the first 3 quarters, none of the first year professors have recorded. I don't anticipate that changing for the 3rd quarter or 2nd year, feel free to correct me.

Speaking of which, do they give out a decent amount of interviews or are they pretty selective? And how far into the year do they invite applicants to an interview?

I'm not sure of all the details regarding selection but I know they really look at what you wrote in your supplemental essays They're very interested that you sincerely want to go to CCOM. Try to go to Mini-Med school if you can..i'm almost positive it helps. On the other hand, sometimes I feel liek they pick people out of the blue..hah..not sure. They keep interviewing applicants until seats are filled (rolling admission) so one could find out they've been accepted even in the summer. Although, i think they try to finish up filling the class by May I believe.:luck:

Ok so I am finally complete. I know i'm quite late, but hey atleast I did it. So what are my chances realistically? GPA > 3.5 MCAT >30. My letters of recommendation arrived really late thats why it took so long. I love CCOM would be very gr8ful to be able to attend there. Should I hope for an interview this late in the cycle?

Ok so I am finally complete. I know i'm quite late, but hey atleast I did it. So what are my chances realistically? GPA > 3.5 MCAT >30. My letters of recommendation arrived really late thats why it took so long. I love CCOM would be very gr8ful to be able to attend there. Should I hope for an interview this late in the cycle?
To be honest with you, with those high of stats and you applying this late, its going to look like you applied as a backup to MD b/c you weren't getting any MD interviews/acceptances and decided to apply just so you would end up somewhere. Might not be your story, but it was the first thing I saw when I read your post.

Status
Not open for further replies.