CCOM Discussion thread 2008-2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If CCOM is your top choice, writing that info to the AdCOM could help. I heard from an OMS-2 that CCOM is notorious for loving LOIs.

Best of luck! I really enjoyed my visit to CCOM. I don't think I'll end up going (if lucky enough to be invited) because of schools closer to home, but their campus is nice and the student body is pretty cool.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm starting to get a little nervous about my chances at CCOM. I was complete on 11/23 and I haven't heard a word. My physician letter was from an MD, but I recently submitted another letter from a DO. I've already been accepted to an osteopathic school and had interviews at MD schools, so I feel that my application is competitive. Is anyone else in the same situation as I am? Did I totally screw myself because of the late submission? (No, I did not apply to DO schools as a backup. I didn't take the MCAT until Sept., which is why my secondary was sent so late.)

I'm starting to get a little nervous about my chances at CCOM. I was complete on 11/23 and I haven't heard a word. My physician letter was from an MD, but I recently submitted another letter from a DO. I've already been accepted to an osteopathic school and had interviews at MD schools, so I feel that my application is competitive. Is anyone else in the same situation as I am? Did I totally screw myself because of the late submission? (No, I did not apply to DO schools as a backup. I didn't take the MCAT until Sept., which is why my secondary was sent so late.)

I think they are only half filled. I think you definitely have a chance.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think they are only half filled. I think you definitely have a chance.

They sent us an email about housing, and I counted it was addressed to 150 people. So that means 150 people have paid their deposit. But who's to say they will all end up there. I think the class is 200.

They sent us an email about housing, and I counted it was addressed to 150 people. So that means 150 people have paid their deposit. But who's to say they will all end up there. I think the class is 200.
That actually rings a bell. So 3/4ths full.....

hm..I don't remember receiving such an email, and I paid my deposit and all that. When did you receive it? Did anyone else not get one?

hm..I don't remember receiving such an email, and I paid my deposit and all that. When did you receive it? Did anyone else not get one?
They sent it to your MWU email account, which was set up automatically when you submit your deposit. Did you check that? I believe it came yesterday.

hey...does anyone know if there is any extent of PBL (Problem Based Learning) at CCOM, even if they don't exactly called it that....

My secondary was in on Dec. 15th and I haven't heard anything either. Mine was a bit late too, but not too late. I've emailed them and they said it is still in review, which is kinda good (not a rejection) but I haven't been interviewed yet and the clock is tickinggg...

My secondary was in on Dec. 15th and I haven't heard anything either. Mine was a bit late too, but not too late. I've emailed them and they said it is still in review, which is kinda good (not a rejection) but I haven't been interviewed yet and the clock is tickinggg...

same boat - had my secondary in two days after they sent it to me, but i had to wait on my DO LOR which wasnt sent until dec 19. i know it isnt end of march yet but still.....!! i would be ecstatic to get an interview/offer from ccom.........

Members don't see this ad :)
same boat - had my secondary in two days after they sent it to me, but i had to wait on my DO LOR which wasnt sent until dec 19. i know it isnt end of march yet but still.....!! i would be ecstatic to get an interview/offer from ccom.........

So would I! It is definitely one of my top choices. Does anyone know whether jcrew and I have a shot still? We were both done by mid december...

So would I! It is definitely one of my top choices. Does anyone know whether jcrew and I have a shot still? We were both done by mid december...

Hey! I was complete mid November and I just got an email to interview on Monday so hang in there =)

Hey! I was complete mid November and I just got an email to interview on Monday so hang in there =)

Thanks for the update! I am in a similiar boat in regards to when my secondary was complete, I hope I hear back soon too! Good luck!

Hey guys,
I'm also waiting for interview invite. How do we get notified of the interview. Do we get it in the email or the MWU account? I hope to hear a good news soon..

Hey guys,
I'm also waiting for interview invite. How do we get notified of the interview. Do we get it in the email or the MWU account? I hope to hear a good news soon..

I received an interview invite via email. The email address that you used for your AACOMAS application....you may be able to see online also if you're one of those people who constantly check everything on med school sites...i would imagine it would be on there before you would receive an email....good luck!

thanks everyone who posted a response to the "can i still be hopeful or should i pack it in" question... this whole process is so demoralizing... i don't have mind-boggling numbers but you really would want me to be your grandma/mom/baby brother/best friend/uncle's doctor........ and i would love nothing better than to discuss your bum knee with you for hours!!

i wonder if i should include that in my loi..?

yes, still waiting and ripping my hair out.

Don't lose heart. The class size is big. There are still some spots left, but most importantly, many of those holding acceptances will go to another school if accepted. A lot can still change. There is certain comfort in knowing that CCOM took you months ago and you almost forgot about the $1000 to hold your spot, but your chances are still high even at this point in the season, assuming you are reasonably well qualified, which sounds like you are. Be patient and good luck.

anyone know about any required research or at least electives at CCOM...i know some schools have a research requirement??....would be interesting in doing clinical research and not so much lab work haha. I guess clinical could turn into lab, oh well...

-oh and i agree with Karen12345, you may feel worried today about school, but everything could change in a matter of hours!!

On my interview day (October), the dean told us that CCOM is NOT a research institution and if we are interested in doing research, we will be better off getting accepted at an allopathic medical school.

On my interview day (October), the dean told us that CCOM is NOT a research institution and if we are interested in doing research, we will be better off getting accepted at an allopathic medical school.

Hmmm I'd have to agree that if you want to go into research you may be better served by going to an MD school. However when I interviewed in September the dean told us that as far as DO schools go, CCOM received the most NIH funding last year.... So I think that if you just want to supplement your education with a bit of research CCOM might be a great option to do it.

Hmmm I'd have to agree that if you want to go into research you may be better served by going to an MD school. However when I interviewed in September the dean told us that as far as DO schools go, CCOM received the most NIH funding last year.... So I think that if you just want to supplement your education with a bit of research CCOM might be a great option to do it.

Yeah...I'm pretty set on going DO, but I thought research might be good to "supplement my education"...I do remember that statement about NIH funding so maybe CCOM does more research than some other schools...thanks for the info!

Has anyone else been waitlisted and sent/thought about sending in a LOI? I think I'm going to send one in soon, and was just curious if anyone had anymore info about them...I have heard from a few students that CCOM takes them pretty seriously.

Thanks!

thanks everyone who posted a response to the "can i still be hopeful or should i pack it in" question... this whole process is so demoralizing... i don't have mind-boggling numbers but you really would want me to be your grandma/mom/baby brother/best friend/uncle's doctor........ and i would love nothing better than to discuss your bum knee with you for hours!!

i wonder if i should include that in my loi..?

yes, still waiting and ripping my hair out.

I'm still waiting as well.. keep me updated if your status changes.

Just got an interview invite this morning! Can't wait to come visit this school. :)

Just got an interview invite as well, I'm scheduled fo March 16th but I may cancel if I hear back from another school in the meantime. I'm interested in the school but this application cycle is getting very expensive...

I just got an interview invite this morning as well!!! :banana::banana: I've been waiting a long time to finally use those dancing bananas!! This is my top choice school, so I am super pumped! Congrats to those of you that also got interview invites! And to those of you that are still waiting... don't worry, be patient! It took over two months for me to finally hear back from CCOM.

Last edited:
I just got an interview invite this morning as well!!! :banana::banana: I've been waiting a long time to finally use those dancing bananas!! This is my top choice school, so I am super pumped! Congrats to those of you that also got interview invites! And to those of you that are still waiting... don't worry, be patient! It took over two month for me to finally hear back from CCOM.

When did you both have your secondaries and everything in?

When did you both have your secondaries and everything in?

I had my LOR in the end of Nov, and secondary in mid-December. I received an email saying my files was complete Dec. 20.

From what I have read on this thread throughout this cycle, it seems like sometimes the order they select for review is somewhat random. I do know they take a while once your file is in active review. I was in "review" for a couple of weeks before I got the email this morning.

Keep your head up... and Never Give Up. :)

So I have my interview in a few weeks and I was wondering if the interviewers are given your MCAT/GPA if it was on your CV? I know normally they aren't given that information but if it's on there..does anyone know whether or not they remove it to make the interviews fair?

Ummmm I couldn't tell you if they removed gpa and MCAT from the CV. I know they have access to the CV because I listed sky diving on mine and they definitely asked me about that :)

I had my LOR in the end of Nov, and secondary in mid-December. I received an email saying my files was complete Dec. 20.

From what I have read on this thread throughout this cycle, it seems like sometimes the order they select for review is somewhat random. I do know they take a while once your file is in active review. I was in "review" for a couple of weeks before I got the email this morning.

Keep your head up... and Never Give Up. :)

How do you know if your application is "in review" ?

Ummmm I couldn't tell you if they removed gpa and MCAT from the CV. I know they have access to the CV because I listed sky diving on mine and they definitely asked me about that :)

Skydiving..thats pretty cool! And thanks for the info =)

I havn't heard from CCOM yet, and I sent my secondary in November.
I am thinking about writing my letter of intent (I've heard that it helps). For those of you who have written letters, what did you write?

I just offically withdrew my place at CCOM...it was so hard to do because it's such a great school...I had been putting it off for awhile now. Thought I would let you all know! Good luck:thumbup:

How do you know if your application is "in review" ?

I had called to see what was the status of my application. I had checked this a while back, and their answer was something along the lines of yes, all of your information is in, just be patient. And when I called again about a week before I got the interview invite, they said something along the lines of your application is currently being reviewed. You will hear something in a week, maybe two.

Hope this helps!

I just offically withdrew my place at CCOM...it was so hard to do because it's such a great school...I had been putting it off for awhile now. Thought I would let you all know! Good luck:thumbup:

Where will you enroll then?

Where will you enroll then?

Either Drexel or PCOM...haven't decided yet. PCOM has better facilities to be sure, but Drexel is cheaper and in a nicer area for me.

Like a lot of people, I used to be really hung up on the letters 'DO'. 4 years ago when I first applied to med school I would've gone MD over DO without hesitation, but now that I'm not a complete tool, I realize that PCOM might be the better place...

And CCOM rocks the house by the way, so congrats to those of you who choose this fine school! Best of luck to you Karen and good job:)

I'm addressing mine to 'Midwestern University Admissions Staff'.

How important is the letter of intent?
what is it exactly?
are we supposed to send it this late into the cycle? or was it supposed to be with our original application ? I was complete mid-December. Should I send one now??

How important is the letter of intent?
what is it exactly?
are we supposed to send it this late into the cycle? or was it supposed to be with our original application ? I was complete mid-December. Should I send one now??

From what I understand, it should state why you want to go to the school/ why you think you are a good fit for the school.
...If I'm wrong about this, someone please correct me.

I was complete mid-Nov and havn't heard anything back yet. The way I look at it, it can't hurt. They interview until April, it's Feb. It seems like everyone that has sent one so far has been moved off of the waitlist, or was given an interview. Even if you interview in April, it's better than nothing. So, why not?

Is it late in the cycle? Yep.
Will it hurt to send one? Nope.

I'm mailing mine on Monday.

I have an interview at CCOM on March 9th. Are there any students I could stay with on the Sunday night before it? Thanks!

Ima fourth year at ccom and got 2 first author pubs by doing reaearch between 1st and second years. ur prob not gonna get a phd, but if u want to get some pubs to pump up ur cv for residency this is attainable with a little work.

this was in response to the research questions posed above

So I have my interview in a few weeks and I was wondering if the interviewers are given your MCAT/GPA if it was on your CV? I know normally they aren't given that information but if it's on there..does anyone know whether or not they remove it to make the interviews fair?

i interview applicants all the time. we do not see gpa or mcat, only personal statement and cv.

Status
Not open for further replies.