CCOM Discussion thread 2008-2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
hi,

I actually wanted to know more about the admission's committee? like who is in the committee? and do the interviewers actually attend the meeting when the committee makes the decision?

Members don't see this ad.

i dont know who is on the committee, but as interviewers we rate interview as strong average or poor, then committee does with it as they please.

Hey all, I gave up my interview at CCOM on the 16th since I got in somewhere else, so I hope one of you waiting for interviews gets my spot! Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
woo hoo! i just got my acceptance letter to CCOM! I'm a non-traditional candidate (history major, graduated in '06 etc.) that would be happy to answer any questions about the process. I also got in to AZCOM, KCOM and LECOM but CCOM is my top choice. Good luck to everyone and I hope to see you there this fall!

hi,

i've been put on an alternative list. It says that it is unranked. What does that mean? does anyone have more information?
please let me know...thanks

Congrats Bob!

Rose- They may say it is unranked but I'm sure there is a method to the madness. I've heard CCOM takes letters of intent into consideration. So if its your #1 you could go ahead and do that and it would probably help. The other thing is there will probably be some waitlist movement here in March as deposits are due for those who have been accepted at CCOM and other schools so they will be forced to narrow down their choices. Unless they have a secret money tree;)

Hang in there and best of luck!

thanks for the advise...
I actually had mailed out a letter of intent last week...before this letter came. do you know if there's a difference between alternate list and place a person on the hold?

woo hoo! i just got my acceptance letter to CCOM! I'm a non-traditional candidate (history major, graduated in '06 etc.) that would be happy to answer any questions about the process. I also got in to AZCOM, KCOM and LECOM but CCOM is my top choice. Good luck to everyone and I hope to see you there this fall!

Congrats, Bob!:thumbup:

When was your interview?

thanks for the advise...
I actually had mailed out a letter of intent last week...before this letter came. do you know if there's a difference between alternate list and place a person on the hold?

I think alternate list means that you have already interviewed whereas if you are put on hold it is usually prior to getting an interview...

Members don't see this ad :)
hi guys, I am new to this discussion. I just completed my application at ccom on monday (i know it's very late in the cycle....) but just wondering how do they contact us: phone, email, letter about their decision. Also, how can we check the status of our app?

Congrats, Bob!:thumbup:

When was your interview?
My interview was feb 10. My acceptance letter was dated February 25. I got a call from Admissions telling me I had an interview on Feb 5. I was complete on December 3. Hope that helps!

Can anyone tell me how the interviews are? Any feedback/comments? How should I go preparing for it? thanks in advance.

Can anyone tell me how the interviews are? Any feedback/comments? How should I go preparing for it? thanks in advance.

Very good feedback is available in the "Interview Feedback" link on SDN. Most questions that I was asked are listed there. Its always a good idea to have questions ready for the end of the interview. Additionally, they had asked what impression I wanted to leave them with.

It was a 2:1 interview and the interviewers were very warm and welcoming. (One was an MS4 and the other was faculty).

!Buena suerte unlucky87!

For all you incoming CCOMer's Midwestern is probably NOT going to pay the origination and default fees if you decide to have them as your lender. it's not official yet but the finaid counselor said it's more likely than not at this point. I started a thread on "Experience with Stafford Loans" on the pre-osteopathic main page so please current CCOM students chime in on that thread too!

For all you incoming CCOMer's Midwestern is probably NOT going to pay the origination and default fees if you decide to have them as your lender. it's not official yet but the finaid counselor said it's more likely than not at this point. I started a thread on "Experience with Stafford Loans" on the pre-osteopathic main page so please current CCOM students chime in on that thread too!

I talked to Finaid today and they said the STUDENT is now responsible for both of these fees (1% for each).

How full is the class?
When do they stop interviewing?

Interviewed there yesterday and the cafeteria had no ketchup at all!!! :eek:

How can you have barbecue and buffalo sauce, but no ketchup??

How full is the class?
When do they stop interviewing?
The admissions representative at my interview yesterday said that he can't say how full the class is because of the changing numbers since people accept and withdraw their offers before classes start. From what I've been hearing in the forums, around 150 so far.

The interviews end in April. The last date I saw posted on the online scheduling system was April 17.

Does anyone know when we're expected to hear about the tuition for next year? I put down a deposit for UIC and CCOM. I really want to go to CCOM but if they no longer have in-state tuition and the tuition will increase on it's own...I don't know if I am willing to take out soo many loans...:( I talked to the financial aid rep and she said she was expecting tuition to increase "a lot" though i'm not exactly sure what "a lot" means!

Does anyone know when we're expected to hear about the tuition for next year? I put down a deposit for UIC and CCOM. I really want to go to CCOM but if they no longer have in-state tuition and the tuition will increase on it's own...I don't know if I am willing to take out soo many loans...:( I talked to the financial aid rep and she said she was expecting tuition to increase "a lot" though i'm not exactly sure what "a lot" means!

How much is the tution at UIC? B/c I thought it was a lot cheaper than CCOM...

How much is the tution at UIC? B/c I thought it was a lot cheaper than CCOM...

According to the 2008-09 tuition information sheet it was almost 27,000 for the first and fourth year, and almost 37.000 for the middle two years because of the summer session. It is a big difference between the two schools, but not as huge as I thought it would have been. Still though, given what I'm hearing form CCOM it makes me nervous...My understanding is that CCOM's tuition is the same for all four years? Is that correct?

According to the 2008-09 tuition information sheet it was almost 27,000 for the first and fourth year, and almost 37.000 for the middle two years because of the summer session. It is a big difference between the two schools, but not as huge as I thought it would have been. Still though, given what I'm hearing form CCOM it makes me nervous...My understanding is that CCOM's tuition is the same for all four years? Is that correct?

No, it increases every year just like all medical schools and other colleges..with maybe a select few that might not.

FINALLY!!!

http://www.midwestern.edu/

It's about time they updated that ancient, dreary looking site. I haven't looked through it yet, but I hope they updated the content too.

Maybe that is what our tuition hike is going towards--redoing the website.

No, it increases every year just like all medical schools and other colleges..with maybe a select few that might not.

I mean there is no extra fee for when we're in school during the summer?

I mean there is no extra fee for when we're in school during the summer?

No, I'm pretty sure there is no extra fee for the summer b/c it's part of the curriculum. Pharmacy at Midwestern-Downers Grove is a different story. If you decide to go the AGO (3 years) route instead of the usual 4 years then they charge you ALOT more than the usual 4 year route. I'm not sure why though..
On a bigger note- I just don't understand why midwestern has such a high tuition?!!? It's more than any IL medical school except for maybe UofC and I'm not even sure about that. The only reason I can think of is the MD schools have their own hospitals so probably share the budget in someways and they probably get more funding from grants still kind of keep it low...

I talked to the finaid counselor yesterday regarding tuition and she said they will get their budget (which will include the tuition increase) in about 2 weeks. She said tuition can raise from 3-7% and i'm really HOPING it's the lowest end of that range if not lower...:(

Anyone know when the adcom is meeting this month??

Why would you go to CCOM over UIC? Paying more in tuition and ditching a spot the state school is not very wise even if you disregard all MD/DO factor. Just go to UIC, I promise you that you'll be much much happier and owe heck of a lot less money. This is very much a no brainer regardless of how much you love CCOM.

Why would you go to CCOM over UIC? Paying more in tuition and ditching a spot the state school is not very wise even if you disregard all MD/DO factor. Just go to UIC, I promise you that you'll be much much happier and owe heck of a lot less money. This is very much a no brainer regardless of how much you love CCOM.

Thanks for the advice, but I'm just wondering why you say it's a no brainer. Are u in a program at one of the two schools? Is it only based on money that UIC is the obvious choice? The MD/DO factor is a really big factor for me so I'm just wondering what your comment is based off. Thanks a lot!

Just got a Rejection letter in the mail. A little surprised. Oh well, their loss I guess. Best of luck to the rest of you!

Just got a Rejection letter in the mail. A little surprised. Oh well, their loss I guess. Best of luck to the rest of you!
I'm sorry to hear that! I'm still waiting to get a decision from the adcom. When did you interview??

I'm sorry to hear that! I'm still waiting to get a decision from the adcom. When did you interview??

It was pre-interview. I am a little confused. My gpa is over 3.5 and my mcat is 30.

im assuming interviews are almost over.....i have heard nothing from this school and was finished before december

im assuming interviews are almost over.....i have heard nothing from this school and was finished before december

Interviews could be over..could be not..they have rolling admission..and I think I rem. ppl saying interviews usually go till April. Also, it was last week that the deadline passed for the secondary so you never know..ppl get admitted during the summer before classes start I guess depending on how big the wait list is..if they decide to interview more candidates.

It was pre-interview. I am a little confused. My gpa is over 3.5 and my mcat is 30.
Did you apply late? Maybe the adcom thought you were just applying to osteopathic schools as a back up? That really sucks though. I'm sorry! What other schools are you considering??

I interviewed last week and the admissions rep said they were interviewing through April. I think he said there are 10 more interview days after ours..so hang in there! You never know what can happen :)

I also received a rejection today. I have stats similar to yours and was surprised that I didn't get an interview. I even spent 6 weeks in a summer program at an osteopathic school, so I thought it was evident that I wasn't applying as a backup. (my DO letter was also from an alumni of CCOM) Oh well, I guess it wasn't the school for me.

I interviewed last week and the admissions rep said they were interviewing through April. I think he said there are 10 more interview days after ours..so hang in there! You never know what can happen :)

For what its worth, a seat just became available as I just turned down CCOM's offer. What an incredibly difficult decision. (KCUMB, its time to learn me!!)

Good luck to all.

Status
Not open for further replies.