CCOM Discussion thread 2008-2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I got a call yesterday from Mr. Laken saying that I have been accepted off of the Alternate List:soexcited:!!! My matriculation agreement showed up online yesterday as well..so for those of you waiting to hear. Call the admissions office and check online!! Good luck :xf:

SAME HERE!!!!! I got the call from Mr. Laken yesterday as well. I'm so excited, it still doesn't feel real. I thought this day would never come. I've been working on this for so long! There is hope for all of you on the waitlist. Never give up! :banana::banana::banana::banana:

Members don't see this ad.

Never give up and gigi,

DId u guys send an LOI by chance? And when did u get waitlisted, when was ur interview date?

Thanks!

Never give up and gigi,

DId u guys send an LOI by chance? And when did u get waitlisted, when was ur interview date?

Thanks!

Application complete/released from AACOMAS 10/22/08
Secondary complete 12/22/08
Interview 3/9/09
found out was on alternate list via snail mail letter 4/1/09
sent out LOI 5/8/09
phone call from Mr. Laken offering spot 5/13/09

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats guys, I hope I get the call too some time soon. Apparently the first ones accepted off the waitlist are those who interviewed in march and april. At least that is what it seems like searching through past CCOM threads. I got waitlisted back in october but I guess more waiting for me. Will see what happens though.

Never give up and gigi,

Thanks!

Hey! My dates are similar to NeverGiveUp's dates. I sent an LOI and had LOR sent by a DO doctor I recently shadowed. I also called the admission's office for updates. I suggest you send a LOI and call for updates..it seems to work. Two of my friends also got off the Alternate List this week. Good luck!!

Congrats to you guys! I'm really happy for you. For those of you guys waiting, not giving up is half the battle so dont ever give up.

i just got my 2nd mcat score back and it was a 26. It only went up one point from my first mcat (a 25) but the HORRIBLE part is i went down 2 points in VR from an 8 to a 6. Does CCOM have cutoff's for sub-sections? I have a 3.77 overall gpa with a 3.86 science gpa. Do i even have a decent shot for ccom (based on gpa/mcat) if i apply before mid-june?

i just got my 2nd mcat score back and it was a 26. It only went up one point from my first mcat (a 25) but the HORRIBLE part is i went down 2 points in VR from an 8 to a 6. Does CCOM have cutoff's for sub-sections? I have a 3.77 overall gpa with a 3.86 science gpa. Do i even have a decent shot for ccom (based on gpa/mcat) if i apply before mid-june?

You definitely have a decent shot as long as the rest of your application is solid. You have to look balanced.

I think you have a shot. Definitely apply asap! Make sure you turn around those secondaries quickly too. I have similar stats to yours and I think applying early helped me out.

i just got the call yesterday! congrats to everyone who has made it off the alternate list. and for those still waiting, don't give up and definitely do send a loi. it worked for me!

Matthew... Did you send in your LOI through email or by snail mail? Also, did you address the letter to Mr. Laken? And how long ago was the letter sent?

I hope to get the call as well. Congrats.

Hi fellow CCOMers!

Applied to three schools this year, accepted to my second choice (AZCOM), withdrew from my third choice and had been waitlisted at CCOM (first choice). Just got a call two days ago telling me that I got accepted!! Yipee!!! :D

For anyone interested, here's what it took me:
Secondary: 12/03/08
Invitation for Interview: Early February
Interview: 03/10/09
Waitlisted: 03/25/09
Sent LOI and two additional LORs: 05/07/09
Accepted: 05/27/09

UG GPA: 3.38, Grad GPA: 3.78, MCAT: 28, 6yrs. Healthcare Experience.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I was accepted from the waitlist to CCOM on 5/27. I applied in December, sent secondaries out on 3/1. Low MCAT, such as mine is not an exact deal-breaker as long as you make up for it in the rest of your application.

GPA: 3.85
MCAT: 23 - V:6 B:9 P:8
Volunteer, research, and teaching experience
4 LOR one being a DO

Last edited:
27 is their average Mcat score, but their okay with a min of 2.75 GPA?

I think its messed up!!!! I am sorry, I am bitter!

True, but it also states the avg gpa of incoming students is 3.53. So how many people do you think they let in who actually have a 2.75? Probably not many. Just like their minimum mcat score might be 20 (just made that up), I highly doubt many people got in with a 20 because you would need someone with a 34 to average it out to 27.

Besides even if they let someone in with lower stats they probably have a unique background such as parents dying at a young age and having to motivate themselves or perhaps a single mom who cares for 2 kids while working and going to school. They won't just let in some schmo who had it easy and yet only managed a 2.75.

No worries, I just didn't understand why you were comparing averages to cutoffs.

Another thing to think about is that even though some people do get in with lower stats there is a tradeoff to this. Either they fit the profile of someone who was taking on A LOT of challenges in life which contributed to their stats OR they have difficulty reaching them. Now this is where the adcom has a tough decision to make because if they let someone in who had difficulty reaching these points in general then they are even more likely to be be seriously challenged (read possibly fail) in med school. Thus at this point the adcom isn't doing that person a favor by letting them in, instead they are just adding $47K/year to the weight of that person's decision.

This same argument is one of the main ones used against affirmative action where people argue it does not help minorities but instead sets them up to fail on a more dangerous stage.

Hey everyone! I was just looking at the midwestern website and had a few questions about the matriculation process. It says to sign and submit the "Midwestern University Drug-Free Workplace and Substance Abuse Policy Statement" and the "Credit Policy Statement." Does anyone know where to get those forms? I didnt see them online! Also, where do we get the fingerprinting background check done? I'm getting soo nervous as orientation gets closer...I want to make sure I dont miss anything lol. Thanks in advance!

I got accepted by my state school so will be going there. You cannot beat in-state tuition.

Does anyone know how many people were on the alternate list? and how many people got off the list? I really hope I get a call soon :)

This isn't exactly what you are asking about, but they interview about 600 people for a class size of 200 (found out during my interview day).

I am sure that the waitlist is quite large (200?) because initially accepted students often end up going elsewhere by the time classes start. Also, probably many people "on the waitlist" don't intend to attend CCOM but haven't informed the school of their loss of interest. So keep in mind that the waitlist is not fully viable.

Does anyone know how many people were on the alternate list? and how many people got off the list? I really hope I get a call soon :)

I spoke with someone in the admissions office and was told that there were 125-140 applicants on the alternate list. That was in last week of April.

I posted this similar question under the letters of eval thread, but I thought I'd get a more specific response from you guys since you have been through CCOM's process.

I saw this on CCOM's website this am.

The full legal name and AACOMAS ID number of applicants must be on the front page of the recommendation. Please provide this information to the evaluators.
Letters must be sent directly from evaluators and must be printed on letterhead stationery, which includes the complete contact information for evaluators.
The academic degrees of evaluators must be listed (e.g., Ph.D., D.O., M.D.)

My question pertains to the bolded portion. Did all of you have this info on your letters? I have already had letters written for me, and I don't want to have to go back and ask them to resubmit letters if I don't have to. Any info would be appreciated.

I posted this similar question under the letters of eval thread, but I thought I'd get a more specific response from you guys since you have been through CCOM's process.

I saw this on CCOM's website this am.

The full legal name and AACOMAS ID number of applicants must be on the front page of the recommendation. Please provide this information to the evaluators.
Letters must be sent directly from evaluators and must be printed on letterhead stationery, which includes the complete contact information for evaluators.
The academic degrees of evaluators must be listed (e.g., Ph.D., D.O., M.D.)

My question pertains to the bolded portion. Did all of you have this info on your letters? I have already had letters written for me, and I don't want to have to go back and ask them to resubmit letters if I don't have to. Any info would be appreciated.

Through Interfolio you can attach a cover letter or just an extra page with that information on it.

hi i had a question pertaining to taking the late august mcat and applying for the 2009-2010 cycle. I am currently planned to take the july 31 mcat but i feel ill be more prepared for the august one. can anyone tell me from experience is ccom one of those skool that doesn accept august or sept scores?? besides the mcat i have a good gpa and eveyhting else is in my favor. do i still stand a shot if it take the august mcat and send in my aacomas like by july 7?

hi i had a question pertaining to taking the late august mcat and applying for the 2009-2010 cycle. I am currently planned to take the july 31 mcat but i feel ill be more prepared for the august one. can anyone tell me from experience is ccom one of those skool that doesn accept august or sept scores?? besides the mcat i have a good gpa and eveyhting else is in my favor. do i still stand a shot if it take the august mcat and send in my aacomas like by july 7?

Schools usually accept September MCAT scores.... but not the scores of the new year... therefore 2010.

If you score poorly this year and took it in January (and did really well), you can still send in your official MCAT score via fax to the school. I know someone who did this and got in.

Good luck!

hey...i'm still on the alternate list...you're not the only one. It feels as if there hasn't been any movement on the list.
Good luck!!!

does anyone know where to find the list of hospitals where CCOM students do their third and fourth year rotations? I have been looking through the website but cant seem to find them. thanks for your help!

I don't know ..I'm getting anxious to start. Although I haven't even read the articles or books they recommended to read before orientation since I've been busy with work and hangin' out with friends before nightmare is unleashed.haha.

Hi fellow CCOMers!

Applied to three schools this year, accepted to my second choice (AZCOM), withdrew from my third choice and had been waitlisted at CCOM (first choice). Just got a call two days ago telling me that I got accepted!! Yipee!!! :D

For anyone interested, here's what it took me:
Secondary: 12/03/08
Invitation for Interview: Early February
Interview: 03/10/09
Waitlisted: 03/25/09
Sent LOI and two additional LORs: 05/07/09
Accepted: 05/27/09

UG GPA: 3.38, Grad GPA: 3.78, MCAT: 28, 6yrs. Healthcare Experience.

My God. What exactly is CCOM looking for if they waitlist someone who has the kind of stats and experience you have stated? Maybe because your interview was late? Still, I'm sure they still had some slots open in March. Congrats on acceptance but still can't believe they waitlisted you.

CCOM seems to be very quirky when it comes to admissions....

My God. What exactly is CCOM looking for if they waitlist someone who has the kind of stats and experience you have stated? Maybe because your interview was late? Still, I'm sure they still had some slots open in March. Congrats on acceptance but still can't believe they waitlisted you.

CCOM seems to be very quirky when it comes to admissions....

it's actually pretty clear on CCOM's issue with this person. med schools barely care about grad GPAs. they are way more concerned with your undergrad grades. his UGPA was 3.3-3.4. his MCAT of 28 is only at their MCAT average of 28. there's your answer.

it's actually pretty clear on CCOM's issue with this person. med schools barely care about grad GPAs. they are way more concerned with your undergrad grades. his UGPA was 3.3-3.4. his MCAT of 28 is only at their MCAT average of 28. there's your answer.

That would only be fair if they didn't accept people with lower grades, however, we know that's not true. I have very similar GPA and a higher MCAT and I have been on the waitlist since october. And I am even from the area with several connections to the school (letters from alumni and faculty) and a genuine desire to attend. With so little time left, I guess writing is on the wall for me but I still have some hope. we'll see though.

That would only be fair if they didn't accept people with lower grades, however, we know that's not true. I have very similar GPA and a higher MCAT and I have been on the waitlist since october. And I am even from the area with several connections to the school (letters from alumni and faculty) and a genuine desire to attend. With so little time left, I guess writing is on the wall for me but I still have some hope. we'll see though.

Your issue is exactly the kind of stuff I'm talking about. It's weird. Have you been able to get ANY answers on what the problem is, especially since you got a fairly early interview there must have been something they liked about you. Were there maybe problems during the interview?

OCTOBER waitlist....damn, that's rough.....

Status
Not open for further replies.