CCOM or NSU(Nova)? Help! Can't decide!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

c0mplex

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm on the fence when it comes to picking between these schools. Both seemed to be great fits when interviewing. I loved both schools but I'm torn when it comes to picking one over the other. How do the rotations compare? I know CCOM has some of the best ward-based rotations out of all the DO schools. How do Nova's compare?

Most importantly, I want to choose whichever school will be best for my future. I want to specialize and anesthesiology is something I'm very interested. Help?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm on the fence when it comes to picking between these schools. Both seemed to be great fits when interviewing. I loved both schools but I'm torn when it comes to picking one over the other. How do the rotations compare? I know CCOM has some of the best ward-based rotations out of all the DO schools. How do Nova's compare?

Most importantly, I want to choose whichever school will be best for my future. I want to specialize and anesthesiology is something I'm very interested. Help?

I know very little about NSU, but the ability to rotate at the hospitals in Chicago is what sold me on CCOM. Also, the anatomy lab is FREAKIN' AWESOME (or so I hear)

But seriously, there are a lot of great residencies in the Chicago area and CCOM has a solid match list every year.

I interviewed at both places and believe they are both great programs, you can’t really go wrong here. Both have very nice facilities, good faculty, many clinical rotation sites, lottery system for clinical years, and good match lists. I think the biggest differences between the 2 schools are location/climate, type of campus, tuition, and reputation. CCOM is in Chicago’s suburbs (Midwest, cold winters, etc.), it’s a small graduate-student campus, tuition&fees are ~$55k, and has a well-established reputation (+100 years old with a large alumni network ie. lots of connections that you may benefit from). NSU is right outside of Fort Lauderdale (South Florida, warm weather, etc.), it’s a large University campus with lots of resources (gym, libraries, etc.), tuion&fees are ~$46k, and NSU has been around for a while but isn’t as recognized as CCOM. Which of these differences mean the most to you? Are either close to your hometown with family/friends/support network? There are some minor differences in the schools like CCOM doesn’t record lectures, CCOM has the sweetest anatomy lab ever, NSU has a dress code and required rural rotation, the NSU dean has an awesome mustache… but none of those factors would of swayed me one way or another.

A couple other things to mention…
If you take a look at their match lists, the majority of students that match into Anesthesiology at both schools match into ACGME programs. I’m not sure how dead set you are on that specialty, but every med student I’ve talked to has said you will change your mind multiple times during school, so don’t let that be a decision factor for you.

CCOM’s rotation sites are supposed to be excellent and are all in the greater Chicago area. While I’m not sure about the quality of NSU’s sites, they are spread out throughout South Florida, other parts of the state, and a few in neighboring states. If you are looking to not be bounced around during clinical years, CCOM may be the better choice.

Hope some of that helps, good luck with your decision!

Members don't see this ad :)
You don't bounce around at NSU either. You may move for your rotations but you should only be moving once and the majority of students stay within the FL/Miami/WPB area..or so I was told during my interview.

But honestly OP, they're both great. If I were in your shoes I'd probably just ask myself where I felt more comfortable.

This is tough. I felt equally comfortable at both schools. Are the majority of rotations at Nova ward based?

How does the cost of living in Ft. Lauderdale compare to Chicago? CIB states that tuition is more expensive at CCOM but Nova has an average graduate indebtedness of 290k compared to 218 at CCOM.

Which school would give me the best chance to specialize, or does the school I pick even matter? I'm also interested in ortho, general surgery, or emergency medicine. I'm pretty open minded about my specialty but I'm pretty positive I'd like to specialize.