CCOM vs UNECOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PotGoblinsales10

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I can’t seem to decide between either. I understand CCOM costs more and has higher cost of attendance.

I understand that UNECOMs board exam pass rates (95% COMLEX 1 for students who pass a pre-board exam) are concerning compared to CCOMs 98% pass rate (I’m not sure if a pre-board exam is required to take the boards).

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I can’t seem to decide between either. I understand CCOM costs more and has higher COA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Do you have a question? This whole process is super personalized so no one can tell you what to do. Do a search on here, think of what region you eventually want to practice in, and look at costs. Best of luck

Do you have a question? This whole process is super personalized so no one can tell you what to do. Do a search on here, think of what region you eventually want to practice in, and look at costs. Best of luck

Yes, ultimately I don’t care for location.

I care about education quality most! I want to have a school that will enable me to study adequately for the board exams and prepare me adequately.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, ultimately I don’t care for location.

I care about education quality most! I want to have a school that will enable me to study adequately for the board exams.

you'll be fine at either one

CCOM has a higher board pass rate, but they also have higher entering class statistics. Both will provide you with a great education.

you'll be fine at either one

What makes you say that? I feel (only a feeling) that UNECOMS education quality is more concerning compared to CCOM. CCOM has classes whereas UNECOM has 2 integrative classes for the whole year and has group problem based learning (which I don’t think is as effective as lectures and reading books). CCOM doesn’t use textbooks which may be a disadvantage, but instead you have comprehensive professor lecture notes (which may save time). The 2nd year curriculum at CCOM is purposely less voluminous to allow more board study time for the whole year, but UNECOM allows 2 more weeks of dedicated study time (6 weeks rather than 4). UNECOMs rotations are not all in Maine, so med students travel out to different hospitals. CCOMs rotations are all in Chicagoland.

Also: Indiana (CCOM) is a 2 party consent state where you need consent from all parties before recording (let’s say you want to record lectures or something else), it wouldn’t be totally legal in Chicago.

What makes you say that? I feel (only a feeling) that UNECOMS education quality is more concerning compared to CCOM. CCOM has classes whereas UNECOM has 2 integrative classes for the whole year and has group problem based learning (which I don’t think is as effective as lectures and reading books). CCOM doesn’t use textbooks which may be a disadvantage, but instead you have comprehensive professor lecture notes (which may save time). The 2nd year curriculum at CCOM is purposely less voluminous to allow more board study time for the whole year, but UNECOM allows 2 more weeks of dedicated study time (6 weeks rather than 4). UNECOMs rotations are not all in Maine, so med students travel out to different hospitals. CCOMs rotations are all in Chicagoland.

Also: Indiana (CCOM) is a 2 party consent state where you need consent from all parties before recording (let’s say you want to record lectures or something else), it wouldn’t be totally legal in Chicago.

CCOM isn't in indiana...its got Chicago in the name. Which is in Illinois.

But its all up to preference. Obviously they both pump out decent physicians and a lot of learning medicine is doin it on your own. Also, most schools record stuff for you so idk why you would be recording anything anyway. Regardless, it sounds like you're in on CCOM so go there. Going to one or the other will not drastically affect your residency application in any way

CCOM isn't in indiana...its got Chicago in the name. Which is in Illinois.

But its all up to preference. Obviously they both pump out decent physicians and a lot of learning medicine is doin it on your own. Also, most schools record stuff for you so idk why you would be recording anything anyway. Regardless, it sounds like you're in on CCOM so go there. Going to one or the other will not drastically affect your residency application in any way

These are all good points. Go to the place you feel you're going to be happiest at over the next several years.

Before applying for medical school, I highly suggest you take a basic geography course at the local community college so that you can avoid embarrassing yourself like this in the future.

Reactions: 1 user