Class of 2017.... how you doin?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm surprised schools have you guys sign up for specific times... our school was all... just sign up for it whenever you want. If you were on rotations, you were excused for that day. There were no rules about when to sign up. Interesting.

I can't even remember what day I took it on... sometime in November...
We had scheduled times but for a different reason. Given that AVC is in butt**** nowhere, they set up a make shift testing center at the school so students still in the area could take it. I think up to 10 or 15 of us could take it at a time. But there were no rotations scheduled during that time (first two weeks in December if memory serves). People who had already left the island were free to take it wherever they were.

Members don't see this ad.

Lol I wonder if they ever do the opposite...small animal clinicians saying "and in the horse this would blah blah" or "and this is also applicable to elephants because..."
I wish... Doesn't stop me from asking though! Ophtho has been really accommodating with my horse questions so far, but they do see horse cases. :) Not sure how well that will fly in my million other small animal rotations

Reactions: 1 users
Tomorrow is my last day of Pathology and I couldn't be happier. This has been by far the most frustrating rotation and easily my least favorite. Ready to move on to therio on Wednesday!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Tomorrow is my last day of Pathology and I couldn't be happier. This has been by far the most frustrating rotation and easily my least favorite. Ready to move on to therio on Wednesday!
I saw you the other day by the path loading dock and you definitely didn't look too happy :(. Glad it's over for you though! Could you share your frustrations with it? It's like 4 months away from me and I'm already kinda nervous/dreading it.

I saw you the other day by the path loading dock and you definitely didn't look too happy :(. Glad it's over for you though! Could you share your frustrations with it? It's like 4 months away from me and I'm already kinda nervous/dreading it.

So its 4 weeks of gross path and 2 weeks of clin path
  • IMO we need more clin path than gross.. We are basically the labor to cut up the animals.. I figured out how to cut / collect the right samples after 2 weeks... 4 weeks is way too much - path could easily be 2 weeks gross 2 weeks clin path.. but Id rather have 3 weeks clin path 3 weeks gross..
  • The BACT section of rounds is super outdated and not very useful - just like the class is pretty useless - the whole BACT curriculum needs to be re-vamped
  • The rounds are super unorganized - I wish they would group the topics together instead of having everything spread out - example- a week of tox, a week of poultry, week of bact etc. instead of having one Tox lecture, one chicken etc.
  • I have other complaints but they are things we can talk about before you go onto path lol

So its 4 weeks of gross path and 2 weeks of clin path
  • IMO we need more clin path than gross.. We are basically the labor to cut up the animals.. I figured out how to cut / collect the right samples after 2 weeks... 4 weeks is way too much - path could easily be 2 weeks gross 2 weeks clin path.. but Id rather have 3 weeks clin path 3 weeks gross..
  • The BACT section of rounds is super outdated and not very useful - just like the class is pretty useless - the whole BACT curriculum needs to be re-vamped
  • The rounds are super unorganized - I wish they would group the topics together instead of having everything spread out - example- a week of tox, a week of poultry, week of bact etc. instead of having one Tox lecture, one chicken etc.
  • I have other complaints but they are things we can talk about before you go onto path lol

Yep this x1000 plus a ton more. I hated gross path. Such a waste of 4.5 weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Hated path at my school too. Wonderful hours, residents were super fun, and we had a great pharmacology part to it, but I was one of the only people willing to mess with a large animal without constantly bitching about it... so I was so very miserable after cutting through horse after horse after alpaca after cow after goat. And then my last case was a dead 9w old puppy that was a possible legal case.

Ugh. Dead things all day erryday is just not up my alley. It made me a sad grumpy human being for two weeks... my second least favourite rotation of vet school.

Yep this x1000 plus a ton more. I hated gross path. Such a waste of 4.5 weeks.

Yea, so many other things to whine about.. so glad its done! Our block leader went to the block leader meeting thing with a list of things that really should change to make path better. But until gross path is less than 4 weeks long, it will always suck lol

Our anatomical path was 3 weeks like everything else, and we did necropsies in the afternoons and took turns writing reports on cases. I can't say I loved it, but the pathologists were great and if you did the things you got a good grade. And it was so gross that it was fun sometimes. Does that make sense?

I took clin path as an elective and that was a smart choice. It was useful. Plus it was last so it was a nice coast to the end.

You guys. I'm scared I'm gonna hoark on necropsy. I'm super sensitive to smells.
Ask your residents for tips. They had some for us that I don't remember because I'm not too sensitive, but one of the tips was wearing a surgical mask during necropsies. Don't know that it would help too much but better than nothing. I think the worst things were horse gut and heavily autolysed animals. Glad I got that rotation out of the way early on.

Thanks to all of you who reached out to me and offered support and encouragement. I'm glad I'm not alone. My large animal evals weren't bad by any means...I wasn't remotely close to failing either of them. But I definitely put in the effort and had a smile on every day! I would never let my clinicians know that I didn't care for large animals. They of course could figure it out by my "lack of knowledge" but it was mostly just me internally grumbling about it.

Members don't see this ad :)
You guys. I'm scared I'm gonna hoark on necropsy. I'm super sensitive to smells.

It stinks for the first ten minutes. You battle through that and the smells fade, and you'll be okay. There isn't usually anything super gross, and if there is, it's okay to be disgusted. Keep some Vicks in your pocket for emergencies?

Agreed - legit pulled the book up for lunch reading about a mammary tumor earlier today. Thanks!

I absolutely love that book, it is a pretty easy read when you find what you are looking for.

You are both very welcome @Trilt and @Rwwilliams - just sharing the Onco Love :D

I have really good Onco study guides I can share with you if you'd like! They cover the big cancer types- mast cell, lymphoma, HSA, OSA and chemo drugs. I also have the Withrow and Macewen onco book which I love. Just let me know! I love onco :D

Super late but are you willing to share with me as well? My onco notes are a disaster (actually failed the onco test in lecture and sucked at the rotation) so any help I can get would be great!

Started my therio rotation this week and I love it!! We have seen a ton of canine patients so far which I love. Just got home from an emergency C-section... Time for bed!!

Super late but are you willing to share with me as well? My onco notes are a disaster (actually failed the onco test in lecture and sucked at the rotation) so any help I can get would be great!

Absolutely! I'll send them to you tomorrow!!

Started my therio rotation this week and I love it!! We have seen a ton of canine patients so far which I love. Just got home from an emergency C-section... Time for bed!!

Absolutely! I'll send them to you tomorrow!!

Much excite because I have Therio next!!
I am headed to the Detroit suburbs on Labor Day for 2 weeks of service dog work with Therio/general practice work. So looking forward to it.
I just got off cardio and I didn't enjoy it at all. Our caseload was awful. The new resident is good and helpful, though!

I am headed to the Detroit suburbs on Labor Day for 2 weeks of service dog work with Therio/general practice work. So looking forward to it.
I just got off cardio and I didn't enjoy it at all. Our caseload was awful. The new resident is good and helpful, though!

Oh no :(. Awful as in too many cases or not enough?

Oh no :(. Awful as in too many cases or not enough?
Too few cases, but I had a lot of other complaints about the rotation. Not sure I'd recommend taking it. Message me and we can chat

You're gonna love it. We are learning a ton. Plus there is virtually no paperwork which is amazing!! the big thing is just taking V-mans antics/snarkyness with a grain of salt. V-girl is really easy and fun to work with. Overall I am super happy I landed on this for 3 weeks instead of something else.

My email is being dumb - I cant find the email you sent me just a couple weeks ago :confused:. Shoot me your email and ill send you the goods :naughty:

I'm still debating applying for an internship.

Who all is waiting for match to open on the 15th? I am not obvs, but I miss you guys and would love to hear what people are up to! :)

I am...... It's terrifying... I haven't decided what I want to do with my life. I love Onco, and I still love dentistry, and ER is fun too... so hopefully internship will help me decide???

Same, but definitely not going through the match. I don't even know if there are equine ones in the match.

University equine internships go through the match. It's kind of a good idea to at least start a VIRMP account just in case you don't get a private practice internship.

University equine internships go through the match. It's kind of a good idea to at least start a VIRMP account just in case you don't get a private practice internship.

I'm applying to Ohio States and it's not through the match. I won't hear back from them or most of the private ones until after match time

I'm applying to Ohio States and it's not through the match. I won't hear back from them or most of the private ones until after match time

Has this changed in the last 2-3 years? Penn and NCSU both go through the match, yeah? I'm not equine, but I know someone who did internships at those places before matching into a surgery residency, and almost definitely all the private practices had their people chosen before match list had to be finalized. Even if it's not "official" it seems like they chose their people before then.

Has this changed in the last 2-3 years? Penn and NCSU both go through the match, yeah? I'm not equine, but I know someone who did internships at those places before matching into a surgery residency, and almost definitely all the private practices had their people chosen before match list had to be finalized. Even if it's not "official" it seems like they chose their people before then.

Maybe? Or perhaps it's just the places I'm looking at that are like that. Haven't looked at any schools other than OSU. I'd rather do private or find a job. Not looking to do a residency afterwords either.

Maybe? Or perhaps it's just the places I'm looking at that are like that. Haven't looked at any schools other than OSU. I'd rather do private or find a job. Not looking to do a residency afterwords either.
So are you looking more for GP but internship reinforced or do you have a more specific medicine in mind?

So are you looking more for GP but internship enforced or do you have a more specific medicine in mind?

GP with internship title or at least heavy mentorship. Hopefully a practice that sees Standardbreds. I'd like to end up at a race track practice after the internship.

Who all is waiting for match to open on the 15th? I am not obvs, but I miss you guys and would love to hear what people are up to! :)
Yup yup. I have my top 5. mapped out so far. Unsure if I'll add any others or how much my rank list will change. I've already visited 3 out of the 5. I've finally settled on at least one person I'll ask for a letter of rec from, I just need to actually ask. I have a couple others I'm thinking about asking, but haven't pulled the trigger yet.

I'm glad I'm not going through all that match drama, good luck to you crazies ;)

I'm dealing with NAVLE first, then I shall catch up with my advisor to make plans to get back in the lab after graduation. Unless for some reason my funding is gone, then I have no idea what I will do with my life

Reactions: 2 users
I'm glad I'm not going through all that match drama, good luck to you crazies ;)

I'm dealing with NAVLE first, then I shall catch up with my advisor to make plans to get back in the lab after graduation. Unless for some reason my funding is gone, then I have no idea what I will do with my life
Yeah, I am jelly you are finishing on schedule. I will rejoin dvm next year.