Class of 2017.... how you doin?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey guys, I definitely recommend taking one of the NBVME practice exams. My experience, and that of others, was that the score on the practice exam reflected my actual exam score. I took it 2 weeks before my test date.
Does it matter which one you get (#1-4)? I assume not?

Also - tomorrow is 2 weeks from my test date...Eeek!

Members don't see this ad.

Does it matter which one you get (#1-4)? I assume not?

Also - tomorrow is 2 weeks from my test date...Eeek!
They're all supposed to be representative. I did number 1. Bought number 2. Will probably do number 3.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't remember my projected score from the NBVME test. Heck, I've forgotten my NAVLE score. The NBVME test was worthwhile because it gave my peace of mind.

This could be a dumb question. VIRMP says to complete as much as your application as you can before hitting "apply," but I'm wanting to set up interviews now-ish and I'm not 100% satisfied with my letter of intent yet and would still like to have more eyes on it. Do they actually see your application at all before the application deadline? I'm curious because I can still remove my CV and upload a new one between now and then...

This could be a dumb question. VIRMP says to complete as much as your application as you can before hitting "apply," but I'm wanting to set up interviews now-ish and I'm not 100% satisfied with my letter of intent yet and would still like to have more eyes on it. Do they actually see your application at all before the application deadline? I'm curious because I can still remove my CV and upload a new one between now and then...
Yep they get everything you have when you hit "apply." The lab animal medicine deadline is early, but VIRMP doesn't care about that. I applied today and instantly got an email back from one of my sites that they had received my materials.

Edit: I assume they will get updates as you change/add stuff because VIRMP says you can still apply before all your materials are in.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think I hit like... high 40s and a vast, vast majority were done the weekend before my Monday test date. Team Marginally Good Enough (and Team Always a Crammer...) for the win!

You guys are making me feel better... im hoping to get to 35% this weekend :cool: .. but my test isnt until Dec 10th, so I have a little bit of time left.

Way to go to bat for Team Marginally Good Enough. I'm proud of you.
I think I hit like... high 40s and a vast, vast majority were done the weekend before my Monday test date. Team Marginally Good Enough (and Team Always a Crammer...) for the win!

giphy.gif

Reactions: 3 users
Did you do other studying besides questions? A lot of people have been telling me that the questions aren't enough, but I've been doing them just to get the explanation and not so much the question. Starting to freak out a bit.

Took a practice exam today.. really hoping my estimated range is accurate!

I am on my way home from Asheville. Absolutely loved Humane Alliance as well as the area. I really have my heart set in practicing anywhere within an hour drive of Asheville now. I had two interviews while I was there, one great and one I really didn't feel like I connected with. Fingers crossed for the one! And, on the drive back, I stopped at my alma mater for a quick visit. It as lovely.
Now to focus on studying for the next week for this NAVLE...

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Did you do other studying besides questions? A lot of people have been telling me that the questions aren't enough, but I've been doing them just to get the explanation and not so much the question. Starting to freak out a bit.
I think I maybe glanced through some of the extra materials on Zuku..? a little? But nah.

I finally have a decent draft of my LOI! Time to have people read it and tear it apart lol

Just received a job offer with the clinic that I loved! I really would love to accept, but I'm not sure what I should do... the future is scary!

Reactions: 7 users
Just received a job offer with the clinic that I loved! I really would love to accept, but I'm not sure what I should do... the future is scary!
Duuuude!!!! Congrats!!!! You loved it there and love the area, you should do it!!!

Do it Asheville is awesome do it Asheville is awweesssommmmeeeee. :D

(And PM me and tell me what clinic it is because I have some classmates and friends who work/ed in that area!)

Thanks everyone!! My gf and I loved the area so much. It is not quite in Asheville, which is perfect. 45 minutes from the city. We are going to be negotiating/talking salary and benefits Monday :eek:

Reactions: 5 users
Good luck fellow 2017'ers with the NAVLE in the coming weeks!

Reactions: 1 user
If you feel like it impacted your ability to perform, let the NBVME know.

Everyone feels awful after that test. Everyone. You'll be fine.

It definitely did. I almost ran out of time for that section from having to pause and try to mentally ignore the sirens. That also seemed to have the hardest questions so I'm hoping that was the test section. Do you think it would make any difference if I told them about it?

I will still be absolutely shocked if I passed but will try to forget about that til January. Time for Christmas music!

Do you think it would make any difference if I told them about it?
I guess I don't really see a downside to sending them an email letting them know. It might not make a difference, but it certainly won't if you don't say anything.

Reactions: 1 users
It definitely did. I almost ran out of time for that section from having to pause and try to mentally ignore the sirens. That also seemed to have the hardest questions so I'm hoping that was the test section. Do you think it would make any difference if I told them about it?

I will still be absolutely shocked if I passed but will try to forget about that til January. Time for Christmas music!

I think the odds are incredibly high that you're going to be pleasantly surprised come January.

But that said, send NBVME a letter now rather than after the results. If you fail - which you probably didn't - and THEN send a letter, it will look like you just want an excuse to retake it without paying. If you do it now, they have basically three options:
1) say "tough luck";
2) offer to let you retake it (but be forewarned - it would be perfectly reasonable of them to say "you can retake it, but regardless of the first results, your second results are the ones that matter"); or
3) say "let's see what your results are and if you didn't pass we'll consider the case."

Honestly, I can see any of those being reasonable from their perspective. But regardless - let them know now rather than later. You don't lose anything by bringing it up.

FWIW, I ran out of time on 3 sections. I was 110% positive I failed. I did just fine.

Looking up info on when NAVLE scores were released two years ago and somehow found myself in this thread. :D First time logging into this site in several years.

Good luck to all those taking NAVLE! I took mine yesterday. Took two self-assessments before and my scores were passing and within 2% of each other. The second one I took was very difficult, but I did better on it somehow. I have been told those are very accurate. I only completed 80% of VetPrep, but that's apparently more than most of my classmates that have taken it so far.

I was cutting time close on 4/6 sections. I felt panicked about the difficulty at first compared to practice tests, but I felt better about it when I went through and reviewed my answers on sections I had time. That being said, I'm sure you all did better than you think.

Back in Missouri after 6 weeks off. It was so lovely and now I'm not quite ready to start my surgery block. NAVLE is out of the way and I accepted the job offer I mentioned earlier. So, off to western NC/Asheville area after graduation! Life is good :)

Reactions: 3 users
I feel like a huge weight has been lifted now that the match deadline is past! Now to take the NAVLE on Saturday!!! I definitely wouldn't recommend taking it on the very last day. Everybody is celebrating and I'm still here studying :dead:

Last edited:
Back in Missouri after 6 weeks off. It was so lovely and now I'm not quite ready to start my surgery block. NAVLE is out of the way and I accepted the job offer I mentioned earlier. So, off to western NC/Asheville area after graduation! Life is good :)

OMG I love your profile picture!!!

And Congrats! My best friend and her gf are also headed to NC after graduation. I don't think she has applied anywhere yet though.

Anyone else having more panic attacks now than before NAVLE? This wait is killing me! :scared:

Reactions: 1 user
Anyone else having more panic attacks now than before NAVLE? This wait is killing me! :scared:

Feeling your pain.. the stress over the NAVLE and match stuff is unreal. I can't wait for it all to be over!