Class of 2017.... how you doin?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Dating classmates is stupid. Falling in love with them is even more stupid. Them panicking is the stupidest. But here I am with a kernel of dread for graduation because I may never see him again.
*hugs* :(

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Little late to the congratulation party, but congrats on passing NAVLE everyone! I too passed. :)

I'm going through problems with love as well, so I really didn't get to celebrate.

Reactions: 1 user
I just got offered a job in shelter medicine. I'm still shocked but super excited!

Reactions: 14 users
Match day Monday got me like :boom::barf:

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I feel like this week has just dragged on because of impending Match Day.

Yea and in our hospital everyone is talking about it. I can't go into our lounge without someone bringing it up. I'm ready to just know where I'm going- whether it's somewhere in the match or my backup plan.

Match day Monday got me like :boom::barf:
I feel like this week has just dragged on because of impending Match Day.
Yea and in our hospital everyone is talking about it. I can't go into our lounge without someone bringing it up. I'm ready to just know where I'm going- whether it's somewhere in the match or my backup plan.

Yesterday, Facebook showed me my post 2 years ago about match results. I immediately thought of all of you waiting...I hope everything works out for you all like you want! I felt happy, excited, but also smashed with reality of what I got myself into on that day. It almost didn't seem real until then.

Reactions: 1 users
That email from VIRMP just now didn't help either... Mine has abridged and left off the "Monday" part so my heart leapt into my throat. I wish they were available today!

That email from VIRMP just now didn't help either... Mine has abridged and left off the "Monday" part so my heart leapt into my throat. I wish they were available today!
2017-02-10 13.09.07.png

The text I just got from my on again off again boy. You poor people lol

Reactions: 5 users
****. A vet I've known for over a decade, who is an incredible mentor and teacher, has wanted to hire me since I got into vet school. I'm... underwhelmed... by her offer. And I'm worried if I counter she'll get offended and think I'm being a greedy new grad. **** **** ****

****. A vet I've known for over a decade, who is an incredible mentor and teacher, has wanted to hire me since I got into vet school. I'm... underwhelmed... by her offer. And I'm worried if I counter she'll get offended and think I'm being a greedy new grad. **** **** ****

If it seems unfair, then counter offer. I mean, it sucks when it is a mentor but you still deserve to be paid fairly. Be kind, honest and up front and then the ball is in her court as to how she responds.

It is important to evaluate the benefits (if any), as well. Keep in mind average salary for 2016 grads was $70-75k, you may want to bring that up for leverage if the offer is below that.

It is important to evaluate the benefits (if any), as well. Keep in mind average salary for 2016 grads was $70-75k, you may want to bring that up for leverage if the offer is below that.
Well below that. And vacation is really low. Plus there's a 15mi 2y non compete that 100% precludes the entire town.

Well below that. And vacation is really low. Plus there's a 15mi 2y non compete that 100% precludes the entire town.
Welp, non-competes are illegal in some states, and won't hold up in court in others, so it might be worth looking in to. I have a non compete as well, but I don't think the owners have the money or time to follow through with it. It doesn't *really* scare me- I could find a way around it if I wanted to do so.
You need to come up with a number that is a minimum for you. Mine was $70k for no reason in particular other than I'M EFFING WORTH IT. :angelic: **special snowflake syndrome abound** But, seriously, figure out a budget that allows you to live comfortably, and develop a minimum from there, within reason.
Most people expect you to counter with a salary of 3-7% above what was offered. Honestly, www.reddit.com/r/jobs was a huge help to me when it came to negotiating contracts.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Welp, non-competes are illegal in some states, and won't hold up in court in others, so it might be worth looking in to. I have a non compete as well, but I don't think the owners have the money or time to follow through with it. It doesn't *really* scare me- I could find away around it if I wanted to do so.
You need to come up with a number that is a minimum for you. Mine was $70k for no reason in particular other than I'M EFFING WORTH IT. :angelic: **special snowflake syndrome abound** But, seriously, figure out a budget that allows you to live comfortably, and develop a minimum from there, within reason.
Most people expect you to counter with a salary of 3-7% above what was offered. Honestly, www.reddit.com/r/jobs was a huge help to me when it came to negotiating contracts.
I'd like 70k as well.

Does asking for 2 weeks if vacation seem unreasonable?

Healthcare? This will likely be really important, especially with the new POS POTUS (Sorry not sorry)

I'd like 70k as well.

Does asking for 2 weeks if vacation seem unreasonable?
Not at all, pretty much standard (10 days paid time off).
Don't forget CE allowance (I saw anywhere from $500-2000), as well as paid time off for CE (I get 5 days, separate form vacation).
You can PM me if you want.
Like DVMD said, ask if there is any personal time paid time off in conjunction with your vacation

Don't forget to check if license, DEA, PLIT, license defense, AVMA/state VMA/local VMA dues are covered. That's ~$1500 right there.

Depends. Is that just vacation or for vacation, sick time, etc?

I think I was given a flat two weeks for everything
That's really it?!

(My workplace I get vacay and sick that accumulated per paycheck at a slow rate, plus holiday hours and comp if I choose to take that over OT)

That's really it?!

(My workplace I get vacay and sick that accumulated per paycheck at a slow rate, plus holiday hours and comp if I choose to take that over OT)

I got a lot of other benefits and well above normal pay for a new grad as well. Trust me, I've got a damn good deal and I'm very happy.

Man... I have ten vacation, seven sick and three days for ce and would honestly still like more lol. Time off is important to your soul yo.

Even as a resident I have 15 days off each year. Vacation/sick are combined, but there are big restrictions to what weeks we can take vacation and it's scheduled 6 months in advance with no changing except in emergency situations.

As an intern I had 5 vacation, 5 interview/CE/externship days and 3 sick days. And I actually got to take them all.

We're down to the final countdown for match. Less than 14 hours to go. Kind of jealous of the kids on the west coast that get to check at 5 AM. I have to show up to my rotation and immediately go hide so I can check on my phone.

We're down to the final countdown for match. Less than 14 hours to go. Kind of jealous of the kids on the west coast that get to check at 5 AM. I have to show up to my rotation and immediately go hide so I can check on my phone.

Ugh, me too... I have rounds at 730 and will be driving to the hospital when the results come out at 7 (central time).... trying to strategize now how / when to look.