Class of 2018...how you doin? ;)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I think they send you the points total these days. haha

Oh, we got a total, I think. For sure we got a minimum passing score and our actual score. I dunno. I don't remember <any> of them.

Members don't see this ad.

Oh, we got a total, I think. For sure we got a minimum passing score and our actual score. I dunno. I don't remember <any> of them.
That sounds about right. You only have so much room left in your brain for such things, I can see your actual score not being one of them. :biglove:

You guys talking about how you "passed easily" or "passed by a decent margin" or "passed well above average" (o_O) crack me up ...

... I couldn't begin to tell you if I passed by 1 point or all the points.

(But for the c/o 2018ers, if I can pass, you can.)
Last time you said this we discovered that they started sending out section by section breakdowns with my year, iirc.

Members don't see this ad :)
You guys talking about how you "passed easily" or "passed by a decent margin" or "passed well above average" (o_O) crack me up ...

... I couldn't begin to tell you if I passed by 1 point or all the points.

(But for the c/o 2018ers, if I can pass, you can.)

I just recall seeing the x score needed and this is your score and thinking well I passed decently I'm an idiot for freaking out, but I couldn't tell you what either of those numbers were.

Reactions: 1 user
Do any of you grads remember what percent you were on vet prep/zuku when you took it? I know it doesn't matter but I have a few classmates that would feel better knowing there are people out there that passed without getting 100% on vet prep haha.

And where there topics (if you remember) that you wish you would have studied more?

Last time you said this we discovered that they started sending out section by section breakdowns with my year, iirc.

Maybe! I don't recall getting a section by section, so if you got one, I guess it'd be your year.

Do any of you grads remember what percent you were on vet prep/zuku when you took it? I know it doesn't matter but I have a few classmates that would feel better knowing there are people out there that passed without getting 100% on vet prep haha.

And where there topics (if you remember) that you wish you would have studied more?

I did VetPrep and was at, uh.... 50% or less. I can't remember now. Nowhere near 100%.

There were no topics I wished I had studied more. The ones I assume I did poorly on I could have told you I was going to do poorly on, and I didn't care to do better on them.

Everyone kinda has their own approach. Just treat it like any other major test and you'll be fine. If you like VetPrep questions, do them. If you like Zuku, do those. I really liked the PowerPrep videos or whatever, and every day I watched a few videos (most are in the 2-10 minute range) and made a single-page summary from it. The week before NAVLE I reviewed my single-page summaries.

Some people really didn't study at all and counted on the accumulated knowledge from vet school. I am too anxious for that approach.

I can 100% say I was not at 100%. I don't recall what percent I did get.

Topics are going to vary based on individual interest and strengths. For me, I was fine on everything small animal. Wish I'd spent more time on pigs, cattle, CHICKENS, exotics, pet birds, and maybe horses a bit. Then the miscellaneous specificity/sensitivity, etc section.

I can 100% say I was not at 100%. I don't recall what percent I did get.

Topics are going to vary based on individual interest and strengths. For me, I was fine on everything small animal. Wish I'd spent more time on pigs, cattle, CHICKENS, exotics, pet birds, and maybe horses a bit. Then the miscellaneous specificity/sensitivity, etc section.

I guess yeah, in retrospect, I probably (unless I guessed well) missed a lot more chicken questions than I should have.

*shrug* But if you focus on chickens, you'll suck at pigs. Or something. In the end, just do steady, broad-based studying, and trust yourself.

And dang it - know your specificity and sensitivity and what they mean. I'm still constantly struck by how many people don't understand, for instance, the implication of a SNAP cPL having a sensitivity of 93% and a specificity of only 78% for pancreatitis....

Reactions: 2 users

I was at around 60% I think. Fo reals, people should just focus on learning and not the number. I've seen people do 100% and fail and people do barely any % and pass just fine. My result breakdown was not what I expected. My best topic was a three way tie between dogs (okay), pigs (ok I guess), and horses. I rejoiced when I was done with any rotation horse related. Sorry @Filly Bay.

Agreed and seconding LeTits (obviously), know basic numbers and terms for epi. Yeah...there's not gonna be 23 epi math questions, but it's an easy thing to remember to snag a few quick points (plus actually can be useful to know in the long run). Just work on the main points of things and more major topics - there's probably gonna be more dog and cow questions then lizard questions ya know?

Reactions: 1 users
And dang it - know your specificity and sensitivity and what they mean. I'm still constantly struck by how many people don't understand, for instance, the implication of a SNAP cPL having a sensitivity of 93% and a specificity of only 78% for pancreatitis....

I still have to look that up every time. Guess it just doesn't play into my day to day enough to really have it memorized. :shrug:

But I do look it up when necessary.

Thanks everyone! I personally am surprisingly calm about the whole thing. I have faith in my knowledge base and I think it will be fine at the end of the day... I just have a few classmates (but mostly my poor SO haha) that are starting to panic so it's good to have some anecdotes that passing is not the exception haha.

Members don't see this ad :)
I hope y'all are right, 'cause I'm at 65% and I'm struggling to do any more questions at this point. I think I'll take one more practice test on Friday to see if my projected score is still passing, then just review my packet o' notes until the real thing (which is in 11 days now, omg).

Also, our school is holding a huge job fair next weekend. I'm pretty excited about it since over a 100 clinics will be represented from all over the state, plus maybe a few from neighboring states. I found out the 2 clinics I'll be externing at in the spring are hiring, soooo...I've got my fingers crossed that one of them works out. It's all scary and exciting at the same time!

Thanks everyone! I personally am surprisingly calm about the whole thing. I have faith in my knowledge base and I think it will be fine at the end of the day... I just have a few classmates (but mostly my poor SO haha) that are starting to panic so it's good to have some anecdotes that passing is not the exception haha.

Feeling the same way! Just want it over at this point.

I still have to look that up every time. Guess it just doesn't play into my day to day enough to really have it memorized. :shrug:

But I do look it up when necessary.

Thing is, you don't need to know the exact terms - as long as you understand the concepts and look it up when you're running some new test. 95% of the tests you run you probably run day to day. So long as you know that hey, a SNAP cPL is a crappy way to dx pancreatitis but a decent way to rule it out - that's all you need to remember and who cares about the numbers. And I know you know those things, so it doesn't matter if you memorize the difference between spec and sens or PPV and NPV and all that jazz. (Except for passing NAVLE.)

But way too many vets treat dx tests like the general public: "oh - it's negative so they don't have this disease" or "oh - it's positive so they do have this disease". We have a responsibility to our clients and patients to understand that dx tests aren't that simple and to interpret them correctly. Otherwise, why are we there?

Just my opinion after treating wayyyyyyy too many "pancreatitis" cases that weren't pancreatitis.

Or, to use correct terminology, pancreatits.

Thing is, you don't need to know the exact terms - as long as you understand the concepts and look it up when you're running some new test. 95% of the tests you run you probably run day to day. So long as you know that hey, a SNAP cPL is a crappy way to dx pancreatitis but a decent way to rule it out - that's all you need to remember and who cares about the numbers. And I know you know those things, so it doesn't matter if you memorize the difference between spec and sens or PPV and NPV and all that jazz. (Except for passing NAVLE.)

But way too many vets treat dx tests like the general public: "oh - it's negative so they don't have this disease" or "oh - it's positive so they do have this disease". We have a responsibility to our clients and patients to understand that dx tests aren't that simple and to interpret them correctly. Otherwise, why are we there?

Just my opinion after treating wayyyyyyy too many "pancreatitis" cases that weren't pancreatitis.

We don't even carry CpL snap tests, just send out a PLI.

Sorry quick first response because I got busy (driving), but yeah I don't treat any test as definitive and explain as such to owners.

Current case: neurologic, underweight, anorexic kitten.... sent out lab work. Only mild hyperglobulinemia and FcoV titer off the charts. Unfortunately if this is FIP, it is the dry form and I need spinal fluid to confirm it is FIP. Explained to owner based on symptoms and diagnostics, FIP is my top suspicion but that test only shows exposure to corona and not that the cat has FIP. Owner took that info and elected not to proceed with confirmatory testing.

Had a puppy that was slam dunk parvo based on symptoms and blood work but negative on parvo snap.... treated it like it had parvo and explained to owner why we could get a false negative. Of course offered additional testing for other causes but owner declined. Dog did fine, I still think it had parvo.

But, yeah, I can't give you the exact definition of sensitivity/specificity but I can sure explain how a test works and what that does or doesn't mean.

I was at around 60% I think. Fo reals, people should just focus on learning and not the number. I've seen people do 100% and fail and people do barely any % and pass just fine. My result breakdown was not what I expected. My best topic was a three way tie between dogs (okay), pigs (ok I guess), and horses. I rejoiced when I was done with any rotation horse related. Sorry @Filly Bay.

Agreed and seconding LeTits (obviously), know basic numbers and terms for epi. Yeah...there's not gonna be 23 epi math questions, but it's an easy thing to remember to snag a few quick points (plus actually can be useful to know in the long run). Just work on the main points of things and more major topics - there's probably gonna be more dog and cow questions then lizard questions ya know?
Having my last rotation of clinics be small animal surgery was horribly depressing and I would have been much more rejoiceful if I got to be done with small animals sooner than that haha. So I dont blame you.

Having my last rotation of clinics be small animal surgery was horribly depressing and I would have been much more rejoiceful if I got to be done with small animals sooner than that haha. So I dont blame you.
I would want to do small animal surgery sooner just because I wouldn’t want to wait that long!

The most effort I really put into it was doing those self-assessments. Some of the questions were actually the exact same. :laugh:

Wow, really? I screenshotted all the questions with the best intentions of reviewing them afterwards, but of course haven't gotten around to it. Perhaps I should make the effort to go through those again..

I hope y'all are right, 'cause I'm at 65% and I'm struggling to do any more questions at this point. I think I'll take one more practice test on Friday to see if my projected score is still passing, then just review my packet o' notes until the real thing (which is in 11 days now, omg).

Also, our school is holding a huge job fair next weekend. I'm pretty excited about it since over a 100 clinics will be represented from all over the state, plus maybe a few from neighboring states. I found out the 2 clinics I'll be externing at in the spring are hiring, soooo...I've got my fingers crossed that one of them works out. It's all scary and exciting at the same time!

That's awesome about the career fair! We had one here on Wednesday, it was much smaller scale since it's a new thing that started this year, but there was still a decent amount of clinics present that were hiring. A lot of the clinics stayed to do interviews the next day with people they met, so I think it was super helpful for people who knew where they wanted to go. Good luck!

And yeah, I'm hitting the point where I'm sick of vet prep. Ten days to go, so I guess I'm just going to review notes and stuff from here on out. I really appreciate all the encouragement from all of you adults that have passed! It's somewhat making me feel better. I just need to get over the serious anxiety I'm feeling, that's definitely what's going to trip me up and make me fail.

Feeling the same way! Just want it over at this point.
Saaaaaame. I am good a taking tests, even if I don't truly know the answer I am pretty good at understanding what a question is getting at and what they care about. Wish I had signed up to take it sooner instead of a week into my Emergency/Critical Care rotation. What was I thinking -_-

Wow, really? I screenshotted all the questions with the best intentions of reviewing them afterwards, but of course haven't gotten around to it. Perhaps I should make the effort to go through those again..
Ugh I know. I did the same and after reading that comment now I'm like... well heck now I need to go look at those again or I will be kicking myself later haha. Merp.

Tomorrow is the day!

Good luck to everyone in the upcoming weeks, we are all going to rock it! :highfive:

Reactions: 4 users
Hope you are spending today relaxing and not studying (seriously). Good luck! You will do fine. :)
So far today I:

-> Ate my weight in french toast
-> Hiked in a park with a good friend
-> Watched 3 hours of Netflix (and counting)
-> Played lots of video games (and continuing)

No studying here! :thumbup:

Reactions: 5 users
Hope you are spending today relaxing and not studying (seriously). Good luck! You will do fine. :)

Been watching football all day and doing laundry and other house chores haha. No studying :)

Hey guys, remember, you've passed literally dozens of tests small and large through vet school.

NAVLE is just one more stupid test.

Go kick ass.

G'luck.

gone-done.gif

Reactions: 11 users
When a lower term vet student posts on Facebook with pictures that she made a yarn ball for her cat...... Why are you asking for it to get a linear foreign body? :eyebrow:

Tomorrow is the day!

I meant for today to be a day of relaxation, but I somehow ended up in the library. Strongly regretting that, pretty sure I'm going to head home in a few minutes lol. I'm just antsy and don't feel like sitting around at home... I'm also driving to take it about 2 hours away and have a hotel booked for the night, but don't want to leave yet since I don't want to be sitting around the hotel twiddling my thumbs either. Haaalp.

Tomorrow is the day!

I meant for today to be a day of relaxation, but I somehow ended up in the library. Strongly regretting that, pretty sure I'm going to head home in a few minutes lol. I'm just antsy and don't feel like sitting around at home... I'm also driving to take it about 2 hours away and have a hotel booked for the night, but don't want to leave yet since I don't want to be sitting around the hotel twiddling my thumbs either. Haaalp.
Wine, clean, Netflix, bake, animals, reddit, window shopping? That's probs what I would do. (I don't remember what I actually did)

Tomorrow is the day!

giphy.gif

You're almost done! You've studied hard, and you'll do fine tomorrow.

Anything we can help with to occupy the time? Resurrect some of SOV's old forum games, send Netflix suggestions, that kind of thing?

giphy.gif

Anything we can help with to occupy the time? Resurrect some of SOV's old forum games, send Netflix suggestions, that kind of thing?
Those feet and tongue!!!! I want to touch.

Also, good luck and huzzah for being done for those about to take and have taken!! Ever closer you go to the end of the tunnel!

Yep, tomorrow is the day for me as well. Despite 2 pratice tests giving me projected scores that are solidly within passing range, I still feel like I'm not prepared enough. :(

Fingers and toes crossed for us all!

Wine, clean, Netflix, bake, animals, reddit, window shopping? That's probs what I would do. (I don't remember what I actually did)

I appreciate you guys! <3 I ended up going to the dog park for a little while since I've been neglecting my dogs hard this week, and then left and just made it into town. Currently settling into my (kind of creepy) hotel room and planning to start streaming american vandal!

Yep, tomorrow is the day for me as well. Despite 2 pratice tests giving me projected scores that are solidly within passing range, I still feel like I'm not prepared enough. :(

Fingers and toes crossed for us all!
Good luck, you'll do great!!! I've heard those tests are a pretty good predictor of scores, so I think you'll do just fine! Totally understand how you're feeling though.. I solidly passed the last one I took, but I felt terrible while I was taking it. Definitely was surprised at my score at the end lol. But anyways, we got this!!! Good luck to everyone else as well!! :)

It's done. It's over. I felt like I guessed on so many... Hopefully I guessed right at least some of the time. :oops:

....Yeah that was pretty rough. Some of the questions were just so ridiculous. Oh well. :laugh: Time to nap and drink a lot of wine!​

....Yeah that was pretty rough. Some of the questions were just so ridiculous. Oh well. :laugh: Time to nap and drink a lot of wine!​
SO ridiculous. And they just kept harping on about one certain topic that I am not confident in and did not devote much time to recently at all -_- fingers crossed. At least its over now.