Class of 2020... how you doin?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
The Taoiseach announced that all universities / schools move to online classes- final years on rotations have been told not to come in for the next two weeks at least. Not sure how they plan on having us make up the missed time, but we’ve been told that we’ll still graduate on time.

Members don't see this ad.

• Sad
Reactions: 1 user
Spring break extended and classes switching to online for main campus. Here at the vet school we are very much in the dark.

They just moved all classes to online except out small animal stream class (which is weird to me because that's the one class that's been bending over backwards to accommodate us not being here if we want to limit exposure)

But honestly I also don't know about large animal stream and what they do. I also have no idea what's going on with the forth years. To my knowledge, nothing's been cancelled there. People are panicking everywhere. Can we all collectively chill? Why do you feel the need to buy six months of toilet paper right now?

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Guys... Im pretty sure I just graduated!

All externships/electives have been cancelled for the rest of the semester, and my degree will be conferred!

I'm a doctor now?

• Love
  • Wow
Reactions: 13 users
Guys... Im pretty sure I just graduated!

All externships/electives have been cancelled for the rest of the semester, and my degree will be conferred!

I'm a doctor now?

Dear Coronavirus Overlords,

I wouldn't mind graduating without finishing the rest of my rotations that much if you were to make that happen...

Thanks,
Nessy

:laugh: Congrats Teep!

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
I'd like to finish out radiology and soft tissue, but if ortho gets canceled and I don't have to make it up I wouldn't be heartbroken... I heard they're already trying to reschedule any elective stuff (i.e. TPLOs).

I’m really bummed that I’ll miss out on my shelter med and soft tissue blocks. All I want is surgery...

• Sad
The hospital is going to emergency only as of tomorrow, and apparently they're working on finding larger rooms to have rounds in (so we can spread out more) and most likely moving to students only interacting with clients by phone (that's not official yet but I'm guessing based on the wording in the email we got). They've canceled white coat for the 3rd years, but aren't making any decisions about graduation yet. But based on the CDC's recommendations, sounds like any graduations in the next 8 weeks will probably be canceled...

Update: No more school, but they're not giving our degrees early. So I'm sitting in limbo twiddling my thumbs for another 7 weeks

• Wow
  • Okay...
Reactions: 8 users
Update: No more school, but they're not giving our degrees early. So I'm sitting in limbo twiddling my thumbs for another 7 weeks
Wait but why?

I can understand them cancelling school, but if you've met the requirements, then I don't see how 7 weeks of video games & netflix is going to add to your clinical training... (though to be clear, I'm not knocking video games & netflix here)

• Haha
Wait but why?

I can understand them cancelling school, but if you've met the requirements, then I don't see how 7 weeks of video games & netflix is going to add to your clinical training... (though to be clear, I'm not knocking video games & netflix here)
We may find out more during this coming week. Who knows. But I've got to figure out what's up with commencement now, or else I've got to help refund all my classmates their dues.

@kaydubs I'm getting a paid relocation out of this, I'm not doing any more work than I absolutely have to.

Members don't see this ad :)
They've canceled white coat for the 3rd years, but aren't making any decisions about graduation yet. But based on the CDC's recommendations, sounds like any graduations in the next 8 weeks will probably be canceled...

I bet that by the end of the day tomorrow, they will have canceled graduation for us. It's the right decision but it's going to be heartbreaking.

I have 2 in-person interviews lined up this week that are still on, but I feel uneasy about being out and about, potentially contributing to the spread. No idea how on earth anyone who is still looking for a job is going to find one right now. I mean, I have a feeling lots of people aren't going to be starting internships/residencies on time, either.

• Sad
I feel like they will be canceling graduation for us soon, too. It was already looking like it was going to just be students and faculty and webcast for everyone else, but now groups of more than 50 have been banned in WA and restaurants, bars, etc have been banned from doing anything but take out or delivery. Retail stores have also been issued caps at how many people can be in at a time. I just feel like there is no way graduation won't be cancelled with all of this.

I'm just hoping if they cancel it completely they reschedule later in the summer for those who want to walk. I didn't do my undergrad graduation, so I'm surprised but how much I'm bummed out by the thought of totally missing our hooding ceremony.

• Sad
Reactions: 2 users
I feel like they will be canceling graduation for us soon, too. It was already looking like it was going to just be students and faculty and webcast for everyone else, but now groups of more than 50 have been banned in WA and restaurants, bars, etc have been banned from doing anything but take out or delivery. Retail stores have also been issued caps at how many people can be in at a time. I just feel like there is no way graduation won't be cancelled with all of this.

I'm just hoping if they cancel it completely they reschedule later in the summer for those who want to walk. I didn't do my undergrad graduation, so I'm surprised but how much I'm bummed out by the thought of totally missing our hooding ceremony.
I have basically resigned myself to ours being cancelled too. But am also hoping they'll hold it at another time when things have settled down.

My PI thinks we'll be closing labs soon, so we're closing ours down now. Which means I have to designate which mice are most important and which mice are on the list for euthanasia if research animal resources gets any more short-staffed. It's a little overwhelming.

Also, RIP tentative graduation date :(

• Sad
Reactions: 5 users
Well, graduation just got canceled. :cryi:

• Sad
Reactions: 11 users
I feel like it’s only a matter of time for all of them to get axed.

Well, graduation just got canceled. :cryi:

I'm so sorry. I can't imagine how devastated I'd have been if graduation had been cancelled. I know it is just a ceremony, but when you have worked your ass off to achieve that, graduation is very looked forward to. I hope they can just reschedule it to a few weeks later or the following month for everyone.

Reactions: 11 users
I'm so sorry. I can't imagine how devastated I'd have been if graduation had been cancelled. I know it is just a ceremony, but when you have worked your ass off to achieve that, graduation is very looked forward to. I hope they can just reschedule it to a few weeks later or the following month for everyone.
Hopefully, they said they're trying to figure something out for us. If they push it back too far I feel like most people won't want to come back for it.

Graduation off for Penn as well.

• Sad
We should all be preparing for the possibility of internships/residencies not starting on time and jobs being put on hold. Even if things are more under control by the time June rolls around, things may not be back to normal yet at that point at academic institutions, and who knows what's going to happen with private practices? The economic impacts are going to be widespread and long-lasting. My SIL's job just laid off everyone except a handful of people, and we haven't seen the worst of this yet. I don't say this to incite panic or make anyone's anxiety even worse than it already is, but I think we need to prepare for the worst case scenario.

• Sad
We should all be preparing for the possibility of internships/residencies not starting on time and jobs being put on hold. Even if things are more under control by the time June rolls around, things may not be back to normal yet at that point at academic institutions, and who knows what's going to happen with private practices? The economic impacts are going to be widespread and long-lasting. My SIL's job just laid off everyone except a handful of people, and we haven't seen the worst of this yet. I don't say this to incite panic or make anyone's anxiety even worse than it already is, but I think we need to prepare for the worst case scenario.
I asked our business professor about this, I'm not sure it will help because it's not great news but I figured I'd share anyways.

"I wish I could be more encouraging, but I suspect that employers are going to respond fairly quickly to the large uncertainty of their economic situation. I recently heard the Governor of Ohio suggesting that veterinarians should discontinue all elective procedures so supplies can be diverted to human use. Just this step would have a very big impact on veterinarians, the majority of whom are still in very small businesses. On the positive side, as we saw with Hurricane Katrina, many people view their pets as family and will put themselves at risk to care for them."

I wouldn't panic yet, most of the clinics are reporting they have been insanely busy lately. Which is both a positive and a negative sign all lumped into one. Positive that people, at least for now, are still getting their pets care. Negative in that, they are ignoring the social distancing recommendations as many of the things my colleagues are reporting seeing are stupid **** that people are now noticing their pets do because they are watching them more. Things that don't need to be seen. People are taking this as a way to just get things done they wouldn't have had time for otherwise instead of as the social isolation it should be.

(Speaking of which I need to call up my own doctor because I am due for my yearly exam next month but not sure what measures they are taking and I need to get a prescription refill. I have one more refill that I will fill about early to mid April and then I will need to have had my exam May or I will be out of refills.)

Reactions: 1 users
Speaking of which I need to call up my own doctor because I am due for my yearly exam next month but not sure what measures they are taking and I need to get a prescription refill. I have one more refill that I will fill about early to mid April and then I will need to have had my exam May or I will be out of refills.
I’m sure at the very least they’ll be able to give you an extra refill or two if they would rather not see non-urgent patients in the near future. I’ve definitely gotten an extra refill for meds just because my appt was too far out (because it was the earliest available) that I would’ve run out so I can’t imagine they’d have a problem doing it during this pandemic for more severe reasons of not being able to come in

I’m sure at the very least they’ll be able to give you an extra refill or two if they would rather not see non-urgent patients in the near future. I’ve definitely gotten an extra refill for meds just because my appt was too far out (because it was the earliest available) that I would’ve run out so I can’t imagine they’d have a problem doing it during this pandemic for more severe reasons of not being able to come in

Yeah, I already had a bit of an extension. April is already a year and a half past my last appointment.

Reactions: 1 users
Yeah, I already had a bit of an extension. April is already a year and a half past my last appointment.
I have a very similar impending issue and since I'm supposed to be isolated from campus and all University personnel when I get back in town, it's a bit of a problem...because student health is obviously on campus lol

Ohio just cancelled/“postponed” commencement.

Not surprised, and certainly the right thing to do from a public health standpoint, but man. Sucks. :(

• Sad
Reactions: 7 users
My response to the question in this thread title is a resounding "not great".

Hear hear.

Ohio is talking about doing an online hooding ceremony of some kind. While still not an optimal situation to be sure, I really do appreciate this effort.

It also got me thinking - what if we threw a little online party of some kind in this thread? I’m not sure what exactly it would look like, but heck, I think the fact that we have been walking this crazy journey called vet school together and now we are finishing that journey is a big deal and worth celebrating.

Any thoughts or ideas?

• Love
Reactions: 8 users
Hear hear.

Ohio is talking about doing an online hooding ceremony of some kind. While still not an optimal situation to be sure, I really do appreciate this effort.

It also got me thinking - what if we threw a little online party of some kind in this thread? I’m not sure what exactly it would look like, but heck, I think the fact that we have been walking this crazy journey called vet school together and now we are finishing that journey is a big deal and worth celebrating.

Any thoughts or ideas?
Ill bring the virtual cupcakes

Hear hear.

Any thoughts or ideas?
They suggested something similar for white coat in an email last night. Idk. Its sweet of them to try but if they're gonna cancel I kinda just want them to do it.

Hear hear.

Any thoughts or ideas?

Giant Google hangout?

I'm not graduating but I'll happily cheer for each of you guys throwing your cap in the air or something.

ps I'm totally serious

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 7 users
The president of the university just sent out an email soliciting suggestions on alternative commencement ceremony methods, so seems like Minnesota is at least going to try to make SOMETHING come together, even though it won't be walking across the stage in front of a packed auditorium.

This healed my heart a little. From one of our clinicians, for everyone else who is in the same boat of having their graduation cancelled:

20200317_200946.jpg
20200317_201011.jpg

• Love
Reactions: 24 users
I’m officially done with clinics tomorrow now. Our hospital director sent out an email at like 9 am yesterday saying we were going to stay on clinics unless the main campus or state said otherwise, and then at 7 pm last night we get an email from the dean saying our graduation requirements are considered complete after this rotation and to not be on campus anymore :laugh: technically this rotation has one week left, but it’s shelter med and since they’re considered elective procedures, the school shut it down after tomorrow. Very anti climatic end to vet school, but I guess 7 more weeks of vacation before I have to start work?

I still have to write my damn senior paper, but I have no excuse to not work on it now :laugh:

Reactions: 6 users
I’m officially done with clinics tomorrow now. Our hospital director sent out an email at like 9 am yesterday saying we were going to stay on clinics unless the main campus or state said otherwise, and then at 7 pm last night we get an email from the dean saying our graduation requirements are considered complete after this rotation and to not be on campus anymore :laugh: technically this rotation has one week left, but it’s shelter med and since they’re considered elective procedures, the school shut it down after tomorrow. Very anti climatic end to vet school, but I guess 7 more weeks of vacation before I have to start work?

I still have to write my damn senior paper, but I have no excuse to not work on it now :laugh:
Congrats, sorry

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users