Class of 2020... how you doin?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Did you have to pay for regalia?!I thought it was included for everyone with SAVMA membership?
I feel like it’s not here because we aren’t required to be a savma member :thinking:

Members don't see this ad.

I feel like it’s not here because we aren’t required to be a savma member :thinking:

We aren’t either, but if you are for all four years they pay for regalia.

Weird I didn’t realize that wasn’t a national benefit lol

Members don't see this ad :)
We aren’t either, but if you are for all four years they pay for regalia.

Weird I didn’t realize that wasn’t a national benefit lol

yep not national afaik we all had to pay!

No matter how craptastic your commencement is, don’t let that detract from the amazing accomplishment y’all just experienced. Congratulations c/o 2020! You’ll do great (and even if you don’t, ya fake it til ya make it beeeshes!)

• Love
Reactions: 15 users
No matter how craptastic your commencement is, don’t let that detract from the amazing accomplishment y’all just experienced. Congratulations c/o 2020! You’ll do great (and even if you don’t, ya fake it til ya make it beeeshes!)

I still fake it till I make it every day. :laugh:

Reactions: 7 users
I'm finally getting to the point where I know I don't have to fake some things. :heckyeah:
It's like two steps away from having confidence in my abilities lol

Yeah, just as I was getting more confident in my abilities, I changed fields. Back to faking it until I make it for a number of years. :laugh:

Reactions: 2 users
Under normal circumstances our regalia would have been rented (with the cost covered by the Dean's office). That was canceled and we just got a 5 minute photo op in borrowed regalia, but one of my classmates was able to put together a group order, so those of us that wanted to were able to purchase a set in order to get photos in other locations, with pets, with family, etc. All together it was $100 which I didn't think was too bad, so now I've got that to keep. The purple and white inside our hoods is pretty snazzy!

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I mean, I do recall paying for it, so it should be mine.

Anyway, congrats to the Class of 2020!! It doesn't matter if your graduation was in person or virtual, you will never remember those awful, boring, dry speeches that were given the day of graduation, even if you try.

I watched the virtual graduation from Dr. Roark and kept thinking so many times "when they going to shut up and present/honor the graduates? I came here to see the graduates."

I'll also be doing a lot of faking it in my research, I've already been handed a project that I only barely understand, so this should go well :rofl:

I’m convinced this is actually how research works. The question is whether that works in qualifying exams (stay tuned, coming up shortly in the Twin Cities).

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

Anyway, congrats to the Class of 2020!! It doesn't matter if your graduation was in person or virtual, you will never remember those awful, boring, dry speeches that were given the day of graduation, even if you try.

I watched the virtual graduation from Dr. Roark and kept thinking so many times "when they going to shut up and present/honor the graduates? I came here to see the graduates."
One of my best friends gave a speech that heavily involved a Bob Ross lunch box that she bought (I think) early third year, so I'm glad that got to happen at least :laugh:

Reactions: 3 users
Finished with my final year exams- now time to get ready for my job in Seattle!
Congrats to everyone else finishing up fourth year!

• Love
Reactions: 8 users

I forgot that I sent them a picture to include, and was shocked to the see the **** eating grin on my face when it popped up near the end of the names

• Haha
@Lupin21 can you make it rain 'Veterinarian' tags up in here now?

Last edited:
They have to be spelled exactly like that too
Like what? :laugh:

I think I did something wrong to my phone's keyboard. I no longer get auto correct recommendations for veterinain

• Haha
I'm really happy for everyone who has graduated, or will be graduating in the next few weeks, with their DVM or VMD degrees.

You are the Doctors who provide the very best CARE for our pets, through good times, as well as sad times.

You are the Doctors who are THERE for our pets, even when you're exhausted after a long day or endless night, and wonder where the heck did I leave my car keys - wait a minute, where did I leave my car!

You are ESSENTIAL Doctors ... because we absolutely need you!

I wish I could congratulate each one of you in person 'cuz you're amazing!

Congratulations to the newest Doctors of 2020!!! :love:
congratsvet1.jpg

• Love
Reactions: 8 users
If anyone who is going into small animal GP or ER is um...bored and a little bit anxious about life, the getting through the day and getting through the night modules on VIN are pretty great.

Reactions: 9 users
If anyone who is going into small animal GP or ER is um...bored and a little bit anxious about life, the getting through the day and getting through the night modules on VIN are pretty great.

My first job was in ER, and the getting through the night modules saved my life!
I went through each type of emergency and put together a concise 1 page step by step in a notebook for anything where I felt I wouldn’t have time to look it up and common emergencies. Made it so that I could get by on a busy night without stopping to research.

Things like how to put in a chest tube, etc... you have time to reference. But having a ready reference for things like shock (quickly assessing what type of shock, parameters for how much to bolus in what time frame, and when to stop, etc... for both dogs and cats) was handy. Other things that you need to pull out often like drug dosages for common drugs, dystocia parameters and flow sheet, really saved time for me until I had it down enough I didn’t need to reference it anymore.

Reactions: 14 users
Week 2 in practice... I have learned I’m quite the magnet for sick things and large in-heat spays :laugh:

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users

Would you be willing to share where these are at on VIN? For some reason I'm having a hard time tracking them down.

I start next week and am definitely in the little bit anxious about life camp currently:p

Last edited:
Would you be willing to share where these are at on VIN? For some reason I'm having a hard time tracking them down.

I start next week and am definitely in the little bit anxious about life camp currently:p
Sure!
Getting Through the Day/Night Archives - for some reason this hasn't been updated since 2018 but if you look through the 2019 CE archives you'll find the ones from last year.

All 3 night modules happen every year, but the day ones are one per year so Day module I is the 2018 session, module II is 2019, module III should be this year. They haven't announced when the day module will happen this year, but the first night one is coming up soon! Might still be able to register for it if you're interested.

Last edited:
Sure!
Getting Through the Day/Night Archives - for some reason this hasn't been updated since 2018 but if you look through the 2019 CE archives you'll find the ones from last year.

All 3 night modules happen every year, but the day ones are one per year so Day module I is the 2018 session, module II is 2019, module III should be this year). They haven't announced when the day module will happen this year, but the first night one is coming up soon! Might still be able to register for it if you're interested.

You the best! Thanks!

Got our schedules and my first shift of legit doctoring after orientation and such is on ER :nailbiting: Here we go!

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 12 users
Starting internship today. :bigtears:

• Love
Reactions: 13 users
Got our schedules and my first shift of legit doctoring after orientation and such is on ER :nailbiting: Here we go!

Have your metronidazole dose handy:laugh:

But in all seriousness, even in the real emergencies let yourself breathe and think. One of my clinicians would always say you can take 10 seconds to take a deep breath first.

Reactions: 2 users
Have your metronidazole dose handy:laugh:

But in all seriousness, even in the real emergencies let yourself breathe and think. One of my clinicians would always say you can take 10 seconds to take a deep breath first.
If ten seconds makes a difference... they're not gonna make it.

If ten seconds makes a difference... they're not gonna make it.

Heck if 10 minutes makes a difference they aren't going to survive. (This is post initial fluids and supportive care). If you can't take 5-10 minutes to look up things before the patient crashes and burns it wasn't going to survive.

Reactions: 4 users
Today’s GP hill I died on: convincing my techs and pet owners that dogs coming in for annuals/boarding/whatever do not need anal gland expressions for the heck of it :dead:

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: 9 users
Thinking I might start a horse/acreage ownership/pathology vlog when I move... do ya'll think people would watch this :laugh: For the pathology part I would probably just do a weekly overview of a disease or something but the rest will just be day-to-day nonsense around the acreage with my ponies/goats and if I get back into showing then probably doing competition vlogs and other standard equestrian youtuber stuff.

Thinking I might start a horse/acreage ownership/pathology vlog when I move... do ya'll think people would watch this :laugh: For the pathology part I would probably just do a weekly overview of a disease or something but the rest will just be day-to-day nonsense around the acreage with my ponies/goats and if I get back into showing then probably doing competition vlogs and other standard equestrian youtuber stuff.

totes!

I’ve watched weirder things on YouTube so I def would :laugh:

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
My fiance and I watched the disney plus documentary about the making of the original Star Wars trilogy. Watching us, you would think that he was mildly interested and is a casual fan of the OT. Not at all. He spent 2.5 hours watching a documentary for what he feels are some of the most boring movies ever made.

• Haha
They were playing marble racing championships on espn 2 (which they changed to espn 8 the ocho) early in quarantine :laugh:
I was far too invested
Dude a friend of mine showed me those and I loved them. You get ridiculously emotionally invested in the marbles random crawl.